The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Heyo from the alps

Dorian Dusk

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Dec 20, 2021
Austria
There isn't much to say about me at the moment.
I'm almost 26 years old, subscribed to the slowlane until recently, although I kinda knew it won't get me where I want to be. I have read TMF and Unscripted a while ago, but am re-reading all the books right now (before starting with the rat-race), while I'm figuring out how to quite my job and start something on my own.

I did the usual slowlane stuff, got a degree from a good university (thank god without any dept and in a useful field) and started working a year ago. The job is fine and pays alright, but it's boring me to death and I'm already wanting to die because of office politics.
The whole journey towards financial independence started for me with the basic advice and a dip into the FIRE movement. I don't need much to live and already save most of my net salary (+80%), but tbh I don't see myself living on a couple hundred bucks for the next 60 years, even if I could retire like that in a decade or so by just following the slowlane.
Upside of that is that I have a nice cushon of cash laying around that I can use to soften the blow of not earning anything once I quit. If I keep living like I do right now it should hold for 2-3 years. And well, worst case I can always go back to earn some more.

At the moment I'm looking into an engraving business, mostly focused on wooden name plates. Background to that is that family members own a horse stable with way too many horses, the guy who used to make the name plates for them retired and now the are in need of someone new. Name plates are constantly in demand and as there are a bunch of other stables nearby I could branch out to those once I met the demand in my family.
Further on I want to go into marketing articles, like metal water bottles with a company logos, key chains or similar things. Due to the families stable we have good connections to business owners in the area and I want to use that to get more orders in.
Another option would be to move the nameplate niche on an EU level and do something along the lines of custom t-shirt designs, just for wooden name plates. I know how to code, so setting up such a website wouldn't be a problem, but I definitely need to look more into competition in that area first.
I also have pretty much no experience with laser engravers or cutters, except making a small key chain ages ago, so I'm not 100% sure how big I can scale it. But that isn't really my goal for now anyways. The business should be mostly passive and leave time and money to follow other ideas that might come up in the future.

Anyways, I'm happy for any input (I know there is a thread here on the whole engraving topic, I'm about to read it and take some notes)

~Dorian

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
629%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
I like your engraving idea. I always recommend getting started in business doing something in which you have a competitive advantage, or know someone, or have a unique skill or circumstance. It fits your background and you know how you'll sell them. Already 80% of the way there and there's demand. I expect you'll do very well as long as there's a lot of local demand.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Welcome aboard, have you looked online at Etsy to see what the competition is like for wood engravings?

Appreciate the intro, hope to see ya around the forum.

Dorian Dusk

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Dec 20, 2021
Austria
Welcome aboard, have you looked online at Etsy to see what the competition is like for wood engravings?

Appreciate the intro, hope to see ya around the forum.

I'm not sure how I forgot about etsy. Wood engraving is pretty big, but mostly focuses on indoor decoration, I saw two sellers who sold something similar to what I want to provide. One offering a real luxury sign (hard carved etc.) and the other is on the low end (pretty much engrave in base wood with no finish or anything).
I couldn't find anything that looked decent and was affordable.
On the upside, I found a lot of inspiration for other stuff to offer.

I also looked up some laser engravers and found one with a decent laser for engraving wood, acrylics, and stainless steel, it also has an add on to engrave on round objects, so things like tumblers or a thermos would also work.
Only problem is that the shipping seems to take forever...

I'll definitely will post an update once I got everything and started experimenting a bit with it!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Marpen

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Nov 23, 2022
There isn't much to say about me at the moment.
I'm almost 26 years old, subscribed to the slowlane until recently, although I kinda knew it won't get me where I want to be. I have read TMF and Unscripted a while ago, but am re-reading all the books right now (before starting with the rat-race), while I'm figuring out how to quite my job and start something on my own.

I did the usual slowlane stuff, got a degree from a good university (thank god without any dept and in a useful field) and started working a year ago. The job is fine and pays alright, but it's boring me to death and I'm already wanting to die because of office politics.
The whole journey towards financial independence started for me with the basic advice and a dip into the FIRE movement. I don't need much to live and already save most of my net salary (+80%), but tbh I don't see myself living on a couple hundred bucks for the next 60 years, even if I could retire like that in a decade or so by just following the slowlane.
Upside of that is that I have a nice cushon of cash laying around that I can use to soften the blow of not earning anything once I quit. If I keep living like I do right now it should hold for 2-3 years. And well, worst case I can always go back to earn some more.

At the moment I'm looking into an engraving business, mostly focused on wooden name plates. Background to that is that family members own a horse stable with way too many horses, the guy who used to make the name plates for them retired and now the are in need of someone new. Name plates are constantly in demand and as there are a bunch of other stables nearby I could branch out to those once I met the demand in my family.
Further on I want to go into marketing articles, like metal water bottles with a company logos, key chains or similar things. Due to the families stable we have good connections to business owners in the area and I want to use that to get more orders in.
Another option would be to move the nameplate niche on an EU level and do something along the lines of custom t-shirt designs, just for wooden name plates. I know how to code, so setting up such a website wouldn't be a problem, but I definitely need to look more into competition in that area first.
I also have pretty much no experience with laser engravers or cutters, except making a small key chain ages ago, so I'm not 100% sure how big I can scale it. But that isn't really my goal for now anyways. The business should be mostly passive and leave time and money to follow other ideas that might come up in the future.

Anyways, I'm happy for any input (I know there is a thread here on the whole engraving topic, I'm about to read it and take some notes)

~Dorian
Love that you are starting with what you know and utilizing the experience around you!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...