The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Greetings from London

kevani

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jun 19, 2020
London
Hello World!

It's been the 3rd week since I've been out of work after losing my clients due to the current economical situation. Initially, I was happy, as I thought that I'd finally be able to focus on a business system that'll lead me to be financially free. But 3 weeks later, I haven't done much progress and sadly, I wasted a lot of time watching the news and binging on a lot of stupid Youtube content. However, I did some amount of soul-searching and listened to the Unscripted audiobook and still listening to the fast lane millionaire one. This made me realise that I truly believe in principles preached in those books, but I'm lost about how to achieve them in a confident manner.

Let me give you a bit of background about me, I'm in my late 20s, I've been working as a software engineer in big data for the past 4 years switching from one company to another to increase my salary. I used to be a permanent employee. A year ago, I set up my limited company and I've been helping companies as a contractor in London, the U.K. since then. As you can assess from this description, I'm a money chaser and I see my tech skills as a way to achieve financial goals. However, 4 years later, I'm realising that the process is slow and just achieving basic comfort such as buying a property is very hard and it'll mean that I'll be indebted for life. Having my company gave me the benefit of having more control over my income, but in the end, I'm aware that it's still a job and that getting financially free this way is still slow.

Now, my issue is that every time I have an idea, I discourage myself directly and don't even try to implement the idea, e.g. I've been thinking to start a youtube channel but when I see the number of people already doing it, I just get discouraged immediately. The main blocker to me is really analysis paralysis. I don't want to start working on a business idea or project until I'm sure that it'll lead to something that is economically viable, scalable and that will bring value to a lot of people.

By writing here, I'm hoping to reach out to people who want to achieve the fast lane path. Hopefully, we can collaborate on a fast-lane idea!

Thanks, @MJ DeMarco for the value you provide to everyone!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

kleine2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Sep 15, 2013
Hello World!

It's been the 3rd week since I've been out of work after losing my clients due to the current economical situation. Initially, I was happy, as I thought that I'd finally be able to focus on a business system that'll lead me to be financially free. But 3 weeks later, I haven't done much progress and sadly, I wasted a lot of time watching the news and binging on a lot of stupid Youtube content. However, I did some amount of soul-searching and listened to the Unscripted audiobook and still listening to the fast lane millionaire one. This made me realise that I truly believe in principles preached in those books, but I'm lost about how to achieve them in a confident manner.

Let me give you a bit of background about me, I'm in my late 20s, I've been working as a software engineer in big data for the past 4 years switching from one company to another to increase my salary. I used to be a permanent employee. A year ago, I set up my limited company and I've been helping companies as a contractor in London, the U.K. since then. As you can assess from this description, I'm a money chaser and I see my tech skills as a way to achieve financial goals. However, 4 years later, I'm realising that the process is slow and just achieving basic comfort such as buying a property is very hard and it'll mean that I'll be indebted for life. Having my company gave me the benefit of having more control over my income, but in the end, I'm aware that it's still a job and that getting financially free this way is still slow.

Now, my issue is that every time I have an idea, I discourage myself directly and don't even try to implement the idea, e.g. I've been thinking to start a youtube channel but when I see the number of people already doing it, I just get discouraged immediately. The main blocker to me is really analysis paralysis. I don't want to start working on a business idea or project until I'm sure that it'll lead to something that is economically viable, scalable and that will bring value to a lot of people.

By writing here, I'm hoping to reach out to people who want to achieve the fast lane path. Hopefully, we can collaborate on a fast-lane idea!

One of the things that MJ talks about in his book is that there is no easy to do never done before super valuable idea just waiting around.
There will always be big challenges along the way. If there weren't then you would have no asset since anyone else could just as easily compete with you.
You will probably never know whether something is economically viable until you have people buying it.
A good attitude to cultivate is one of experimentation. Start working on something or a few things and see what the first few steps are and how you can learn more about the industry, whether it might be economically viable or not, and whether it's something you see yourself really going a lot deeper into and committing to.

tonibob

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jun 22, 2020
London
Hello World!

Hi Kevani,

The first you would need to do is stop chasing money. That never works, just makes you more miserable!

I live in Bromley and will be happy to help out. My background is more than 25 years as an IT Consultant as well as running my own construction business. I got plenty of experience, but find it almost impossible to surround myself with ambitious people, with people who want to make a difference.

I will be happy to have a conversation to see if we can benefit from each other.

Please, let me know how to reach you?

Best wishes,
Pete

df1992

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
238%
May 26, 2020
London
Love seeing a few others from London on this forum!

I discourage myself directly and don't even try to implement the idea

One of my best friends is in this similar situation. He's a really smart guy with a great idea but he's talking himself out of it and is just thinking about all of the things that could go wrong (rather than the things that could go right).

I think mindset is incredibly important. I also think that people can overthink an idea. Just take a first step, then another, then another... and soon enough you'll have small snowball which you can start thinking about rolling down a hill.

That first step will give you an incredible amount of energy!

kevani

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jun 19, 2020
London
Hi Kevani,

The first you would need to do is stop chasing money. That never works, just makes you more miserable!

I live in Bromley and will be happy to help out. My background is more than 25 years as an IT Consultant as well as running my own construction business. I got plenty of experience, but find it almost impossible to surround myself with ambitious people, with people who want to make a difference.

I will be happy to have a conversation to see if we can benefit from each other.

Please, let me know how to reach you?

Best wishes,
Pete
Hi Pete, thanks for your message I'll PM you!

LordGanon

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
294%
Jun 22, 2020
Germany

I'm totally on the same page. The thing is: I got so many business ideas, I just can't decide with which one to go forward. And they just stack up.

I read somewhere that ideas are "a dime a dozen". And that's true. It's the execution that is valuable. Although some people might frown upon the comparison, I think it might help in your situation:

While writing my PhD, something happened to me that happens to a lot of scholars. During research, I always found the next best topic or aspect of my research I wanted to focus upon because it seemed so interesting. This led to me having a bunch of open threads. You could call it "academic shiny object syndrome".

This went on for 2 1/2 years, and I barely had anything to present. In the end, I did achieve summa cum laude. But how did I do that? I simply forced myself to write at least two pages a day. No matter what topic. I soon realized that a lot of the threads just had to be tied together, and then it was just a question of discipline and some writing talent.

The important thing is that you do the work.

While you're working, you might even find other interesting ideas or ideas that might make you more money. But EXECUTION IS KEY. Should you really run into a dead end, you can always come back to these ideas. You can always "pivot", to use a word that has been dealt out like Ambrosia in the startup scene for a while.

Last edited:

kevani

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jun 19, 2020
London
I'm totally on the same page. The thing is: I got so many business ideas, I just can't decide with which one to go forward. And they just stack up.

I read somewhere that ideas are "a dime a dozen". And that's true. It's the execution that is valuable. Although some people might frown upon the comparison, I think it might help in your situation:

While writing my PhD, something happened to me that happens to a lot of scholars. During research, I always found the next best topic or aspect of my research I wanted to focus upon because it seemed so interesting. This led to me having a bunch of open threads. You could call it "academic shiny object syndrome".

This went on for 2 1/2 years, and I barely had anything to present. In the end, I did achieve summa cum laude. But how did I do that? I simply forced myself to write at least two pages a day. No matter what topic. I soon realized that a lot of the threads just had to be tied together, and then it was just a question of discipline and some writing talent.

The important thing is that you do the work.

While you're working, you might even find other interesting ideas or ideas that might make you more money. But EXECUTION IS KEY. Should you really run into a dead end, you can always come back to these ideas. You can always "pivot", to use a word that has been dealt out like Ambrosia in the startup scene for a while.

Thanks for sharing! Out of curiosity, are you apply the same to the fast lane? How is it working?
My issue is to convince myself to start working on something because even if I see it's a good idea, I'm not passionate about it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...