The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

First Post - Shifting from 9 to 5....Would love advice on my public speaking path!

Grant.a.wyatt

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Jul 3, 2021
Hi All,

I once believed that a structured and standard career path was the way for me. But in recent years, with the desire for more freedom...my appetite has changed. I just finished reading Millionaire Fastlane and loved it....here I am, with my first post, in pursuit of expansion and impact.

I am a Human Resources professional. I continue to work a full time role and invest in index funds. Both have served me well, but in order to have faster expansion I need to introduce a 'business'.

I am passionate about public speaking and have done many pro bono self development/career talks at universities. I also done work conferences etc. I get great feedback and I love it.

I am fortunate to have been invited to speak at TEDX Auckland in September - I see this as my opportunity to impact many. I was hoping to get your thoughts on how best to leverage this event? Marketing/PR/social media ideas welcome on how I can use the footage to spread my message / passion with as many as I can...get the Fastlane commandments in motion and see where it takes me!

Thanks so much for any advice and I look forward to bouncing ideas with you all!

Grant

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hi All,

I once believed that a structured and standard career path was the way for me. But in recent years, with the desire for more freedom...my appetite has changed. I just finished reading Millionaire Fastlane and loved it....here I am, with my first post, in pursuit of expansion and impact.

I am a Human Resources professional. I continue to work a full time role and invest in index funds. Both have served me well, but in order to have faster expansion I need to introduce a 'business'.

I am passionate about public speaking and have done many pro bono self development/career talks at universities. I also done work conferences etc. I get great feedback and I love it.

I am fortunate to have been invited to speak at TEDX Auckland in September - I see this as my opportunity to impact many. I was hoping to get your thoughts on how best to leverage this event? Marketing/PR/social media ideas welcome on how I can use the footage to spread my message / passion with as many as I can...get the Fastlane commandments in motion and see where it takes me!

Thanks so much for any advice and I look forward to bouncing ideas with you all!

Grant
Welcome.

I’m sure @Kung Fu Steve has some advice about public speaking.

Why wait till September to help people? Can you help someone this week or today?

A few threads that spring to mind:

Grant.a.wyatt

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Jul 3, 2021
Welcome.

I’m sure @Kung Fu Steve haa some advice about public speaking.

Why wait till September to help people? Can you help someone this week or today?

A few threads that spring to mind:
Andy - good questions! I am running a free webinar with uni students this week. Outside of this…I haven’t got other avenues on this front. But love the provocation! Thanks for the links also - I will read

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
IMO, the best way to leverage public speaking is to command a higher price. And be able to sell consulting gigs afterward, or to monetize the topic with a book you've written. After speaking, you could probably secure some sales of both.

Welcome aboard.

Grant.a.wyatt

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Jul 3, 2021
IMO, the best way to leverage public speaking is to command a higher price. And be able to sell consulting gigs afterward, or to monetized the topic a book you've written. After speaking, you could probably secure some sales of both.

Welcome aboard.
Is this the real MJ!? Thanks so much for your thoughts - I am going to put together a project plan for this and factor these broader strategies in. I like the idea of creating a book or e-book someday. I will promote the hell out of my talk to raise my profile afterwards.
I genuinely loved your book. Thank you.

LeszekM

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
May 31, 2021
I am fortunate to have been invited to speak at TEDX Auckland in September
Waiting for your record on YT! There is a lot of time until September, if you offer any own services it is a good idea to update it, add more value, make your website better looking. After the TEDx speech people will google you. If they find your social profile/website etc. there is more chance that they will start following you.

Thanks again Andy! Another doze of knowledge.

Grant.a.wyatt

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Jul 3, 2021
You know…I don’t have a website so…this is good food for thought. Thank you for pushing my thinking to approach this more like a business than a passion

D

Deleted85763

Hi All,

Grant
It sounds like a public speaking career is a definite possibility for you. Try to be the best in an area of specialization. Be the one that knows more than anyone else. This combined with your public speaking ability will attract more engagements. Obviously you should have a website. Make it simple.

Study the public speaking industry, focus, get the word out, network and prepare for engagements around the world.

Grant.a.wyatt

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Jul 3, 2021
It sounds like a public speaking career is a definite possibility for you. Try to be the best in an area of specialization. Be the one that knows more than anyone else. This combined with your public speaking ability will attract more engagements. Obviously you should have a website. Make it simple.

Study the public speaking industry, focus, get the word out, network and prepare for engagements around the world.
I love this - thank you. Sound advice. I am going to start channeling things differently…I am really glad I checked in here (and read the book)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Miketing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
May 7, 2014
You know…I don’t have a website so…this is good food for thought. Thank you for pushing my thinking to approach this more like a business than a passion
Do you post content anywhere like YouTube?

If people like your talk, they're going to want to hear more from you.

It would be great if you can turn some of your ted talk viewers into subscribers or followers. That way you can actually stay in contact with them.

Grant.a.wyatt

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Jul 3, 2021
Do you post content anywhere like YouTube?

If people like your talk, they're going to want to hear more from you.

It would be great if you can turn some of your ted talk viewers into subscribers or followers. That way you can actually stay in contact with them.
At the moment I am only posting content on Tik Tik....primarily just to test and build my confidence. I was thinking of using the ted talk as my launch of youtube material....

Grant.a.wyatt

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Jul 3, 2021
Hi All - I hope you are doing well. My updates on this;

The TedX talk had to be remote and pre-recorded due to Covid restrictions...so didn't have the impact I would have liked, but still a good experience.

I have just published a book on Amazon called 'From Loathing to Loving Your Job'; Amazon.com
It focuses on shifting ownership to employees to generate their own workplace satisfaction through mindset shifts and practical strategies.

I have only just released it. If anyone has any advice for promoting or marketing a book - please share!

I have also continued to post content on Tik Tok @Grant.a.wyatt - my following is up to around 74k, so I will look to leverage that at some stage

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...