The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

INTRO First Post - Shifting from 9 to 5....Would love advice on my public speaking path!

Accelerate wealth. Build a business that pays freedom. Join more than 70,000 entrepreneurs and register for the Fastlane Entrepreneur forum. Remove ads? Join the INSIDERS.

Grant.a.wyatt

New Contributor
Jul 3, 2021
Hi All,

I once believed that a structured and standard career path was the way for me. But in recent years, with the desire for more freedom...my appetite has changed. I just finished reading Millionaire Fastlane and loved it....here I am, with my first post, in pursuit of expansion and impact.

I am a Human Resources professional. I continue to work a full time role and invest in index funds. Both have served me well, but in order to have faster expansion I need to introduce a 'business'.

I am passionate about public speaking and have done many pro bono self development/career talks at universities. I also done work conferences etc. I get great feedback and I love it.

I am fortunate to have been invited to speak at TEDX Auckland in September - I see this as my opportunity to impact many. I was hoping to get your thoughts on how best to leverage this event? Marketing/PR/social media ideas welcome on how I can use the footage to spread my message / passion with as many as I can...get the Fastlane commandments in motion and see where it takes me!

Thanks so much for any advice and I look forward to bouncing ideas with you all!

Grant

Andy Black

About to go on a video creation spree...
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hi All,

I once believed that a structured and standard career path was the way for me. But in recent years, with the desire for more freedom...my appetite has changed. I just finished reading Millionaire Fastlane and loved it....here I am, with my first post, in pursuit of expansion and impact.

I am a Human Resources professional. I continue to work a full time role and invest in index funds. Both have served me well, but in order to have faster expansion I need to introduce a 'business'.

I am passionate about public speaking and have done many pro bono self development/career talks at universities. I also done work conferences etc. I get great feedback and I love it.

I am fortunate to have been invited to speak at TEDX Auckland in September - I see this as my opportunity to impact many. I was hoping to get your thoughts on how best to leverage this event? Marketing/PR/social media ideas welcome on how I can use the footage to spread my message / passion with as many as I can...get the Fastlane commandments in motion and see where it takes me!

Thanks so much for any advice and I look forward to bouncing ideas with you all!

Grant
Welcome.

I’m sure @Kung Fu Steve has some advice about public speaking.

Why wait till September to help people? Can you help someone this week or today?

A few threads that spring to mind:

Grant.a.wyatt

New Contributor
Jul 3, 2021
Welcome.

I’m sure @Kung Fu Steve haa some advice about public speaking.

Why wait till September to help people? Can you help someone this week or today?

A few threads that spring to mind:
Andy - good questions! I am running a free webinar with uni students this week. Outside of this…I haven’t got other avenues on this front. But love the provocation! Thanks for the links also - I will read

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
IMO, the best way to leverage public speaking is to command a higher price. And be able to sell consulting gigs afterward, or to monetize the topic with a book you've written. After speaking, you could probably secure some sales of both.

Welcome aboard.

Grant.a.wyatt

New Contributor
Jul 3, 2021
IMO, the best way to leverage public speaking is to command a higher price. And be able to sell consulting gigs afterward, or to monetized the topic a book you've written. After speaking, you could probably secure some sales of both.

Welcome aboard.
Is this the real MJ!? Thanks so much for your thoughts - I am going to put together a project plan for this and factor these broader strategies in. I like the idea of creating a book or e-book someday. I will promote the hell out of my talk to raise my profile afterwards.
I genuinely loved your book. Thank you.

LeszekM

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
May 31, 2021
I am fortunate to have been invited to speak at TEDX Auckland in September
Waiting for your record on YT! There is a lot of time until September, if you offer any own services it is a good idea to update it, add more value, make your website better looking. After the TEDx speech people will google you. If they find your social profile/website etc. there is more chance that they will start following you.

Thanks again Andy! Another doze of knowledge.

Grant.a.wyatt

New Contributor
Jul 3, 2021
You know…I don’t have a website so…this is good food for thought. Thank you for pushing my thinking to approach this more like a business than a passion

robertwills

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Sep 9, 2020
Atlanta, GA
Hi All,

Grant
It sounds like a public speaking career is a definite possibility for you. Try to be the best in an area of specialization. Be the one that knows more than anyone else. This combined with your public speaking ability will attract more engagements. Obviously you should have a website. Make it simple.

Study the public speaking industry, focus, get the word out, network and prepare for engagements around the world.

Grant.a.wyatt

New Contributor
Jul 3, 2021
It sounds like a public speaking career is a definite possibility for you. Try to be the best in an area of specialization. Be the one that knows more than anyone else. This combined with your public speaking ability will attract more engagements. Obviously you should have a website. Make it simple.

Study the public speaking industry, focus, get the word out, network and prepare for engagements around the world.
I love this - thank you. Sound advice. I am going to start channeling things differently…I am really glad I checked in here (and read the book)

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ

Miketing

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 7, 2014
You know…I don’t have a website so…this is good food for thought. Thank you for pushing my thinking to approach this more like a business than a passion
Do you post content anywhere like YouTube?

If people like your talk, they're going to want to hear more from you.

It would be great if you can turn some of your ted talk viewers into subscribers or followers. That way you can actually stay in contact with them.

Grant.a.wyatt

New Contributor
Jul 3, 2021
Do you post content anywhere like YouTube?

If people like your talk, they're going to want to hear more from you.

It would be great if you can turn some of your ted talk viewers into subscribers or followers. That way you can actually stay in contact with them.
At the moment I am only posting content on Tik Tik....primarily just to test and build my confidence. I was thinking of using the ted talk as my launch of youtube material....

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2021
Cool - glad to have you. And yes it should help a lot. When you are in the new group just post...
MARKETPLACE NEW: The Best School for Going Fastlane (Now open for summer enrollment)
Hey everyone, I have a big announcement to make about how we are going to be working with...
MARKETPLACE Not sure how to start? This free book will teach you how to build a successful web design business
Hi Fox. Starting the book and got through the introduction. Had a conversation with Andy Black...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Chris is super sharp and is aware of many facets of entrepreneurship and can help get your...
Introducing MJ's Personal Unscripted Network, Join Now for FREE!
Any chance to make it available outside of US? It has been available outside of the US on...

Forum Sponsor

Learn Fastlane Business Skills & Get Profitable Within 30 Days...

Get Started Now

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...

Top Bottom