The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Building a shopify store but feeling disillusioned!

Shane247

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Nov 15, 2016
Hey guys I have been on here a few months now after reading the book and have also moved across the world from Ireland to Vancouver in Canada. I am currently working full time in a warehouse and trying to build something on the side. I am always coming up with ideas but sometimes lack the ability to code it or create all of it alone, one such idea is at www.georound.com which is a test idea for 3D place markers videos on maps.

In the past 2 weeks I got sick of trying to build the next best thing and started getting serious about my shopify store, it was going good for a while but today when I went to add more products I felt like I have no real interest in this side business, I enjoy the creation and design part but the selling products from China part feels boring and dull. There are guys making big money using this system and all it takes is some patience and focus.

Im not sure where to go fom here? I might have to power through the shopify store until I see some success and that will probably drive me on. If you guys experienced anything similar with ecommerce or whatever let me know! Cheers.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Young-Gun

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Mar 8, 2014
Austin, TX
Hey guys I have been on here a few months now after reading the book and have also moved across the world from Ireland to Vancouver in Canada. I am currently working full time in a warehouse and trying to build something on the side. I am always coming up with ideas but sometimes lack the ability to code it or create all of it alone, one such idea is at www.georound.com which is a test idea for 3D place markers videos on maps.

In the past 2 weeks I got sick of trying to build the next best thing and started getting serious about my shopify store, it was going good for a while but today when I went to add more products I felt like I have no real interest in this side business, I enjoy the creation and design part but the selling products from China part feels boring and dull. There are guys making big money using this system and all it takes is some patience and focus.

Im not sure where to go fom here? I might have to power through the shopify store until I see some success and that will probably drive me on. If you guys experienced anything similar with ecommerce or whatever let me know! Cheers.

Focus is the key. It sounds like you're all over the place.

It's not always fun to become successful. You have to be driven by your vision of your future life.

Try what I do - set all your desktop, laptop, cell phone backgrounds to a slideshow of the experiences and material things you want.
Everywhere I look, I see reminders of what I'm working towards.
From the moment I wake up to the moment I fall asleep, I'm scheming or busting my a$$ to get close to those things.

The work isn't fun, but it's fun to get closer to my goals.

Once you know your goals, you can make a plan for the best 1-3 ways to reach them.
Then just pick one, and go hard for as long as it takes.

There aren't really any secrets, you just have to know what you want and go after it every moment of the day with as much hunger as a starving wolf.

Decide your goals.
Pick the best idea you have.
Focus on ONE thing.
Bust your a$$ (it will take years, not weeks or months).

The years are going to pass anyway.
Do you want to be old and poor?
Old, and unhappy with how you've spent your life, but unable to change it?

That last prospect is so terrifying to me that I will sometimes bolt awake in the early hours and start working on my business.

Find your FIRE, find your FEARS, and use them to create FOCUS, then WORK EVERY DAY on it for YEARS.
It's almost hard NOT to succeed, if you can stick to that and never give up.

Good luck bro!

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen

I get the impression that your business is dropshipping from China. If so, IMO you have chosen a faulty business model with very low ROI of both time and money.

You say "There are guys making big money using this system and all it takes is some patience and focus", but are you referring to their claims when selling dropship from China courses, or do you have real facts about their income?

One of the most successful I know in that field, blatantly steals people's IP and sells counterfeits. He is also killing it by selling a course and apps teaching how to do it. Among his recommendations is to register your domain in a country that doesn't police IP rights.

There is big money to be made in importing products from China (and other countries). Just look for threads The Chronicles Of DDall - A Progress and Execution Thread by ddall and Ask me anything about eCommerce (2015+) by Biophase for example.

Walter

oimate

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Jul 8, 2015

Hey Man,

I know the exact feeling-I started a website june last year and working on it when I have time from FT job. Motivation at start seems to have been more to do i've discovered with building my 1st website and store and thinking-feck thats good and theres actually people visiting it!

I am not buying from China as the product is medical devices-However in the past 10 months i've only made about 10 sales so in reality I now feel as thou i've 'wasted' my time with this-Reality is profit margins are just too low and i've just realised the field and profilts dont excite or drive me to push on.

Overall I do know it has not been a 'waste' as I've learned website building (however wordpress and woocommerce simple) and a few customer sales lessons which I can bring with me into some other hussle.

Question is what actually does excite me and you!

GOOD LUCK BRO

Hassen

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Mar 13, 2015
I get the impression that your business is dropshipping from China. If so, IMO you have chosen a faulty business model with very low ROI of both time and money.

You say "There are guys making big money using this system and all it takes is some patience and focus", but are you referring to their claims when selling dropship from China courses, or do you have real facts about their income?

One of the most successful I know in that field, blatantly steals people's IP and sells counterfeits. He is also killing it by selling a course and apps teaching how to do it. Among his recommendations is to register your domain in a country that doesn't police IP rights.

There is big money to be made in importing products from China (and other countries). Just look for threads The Chronicles Of DDall - A Progress and Execution Thread by ddall and Ask me anything about eCommerce (2015+) by Biophase for example.

Walter

I've been thinking about dropshipping from China too, but in a very focused niche & with a supplier that's just starting their own brand & have their own original products, and then go from there, maybe purchase in bulk to distribute their products in the US in the future.

Still a terrible idea?

Would be grateful for any input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hassen

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Mar 13, 2015

What if you select a niche you're interested in and source related products?
I'm just starting out with dropshipping too but with some products I do feel it's a drag putting up listings for them, but for others I feel genuinely excited for being able to share them with more customers than the suppliers could have originally reached, just because how cool I think the products are.

AdamReedyReed

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Mar 14, 2017
Australia

Hey Shane,

Firstly congrats on having the balls to get started and actually generate some activity on your ideas - so many people are still stuck in their head and lack the courage to start!!
For me it took a long time to "get started" and actually commit to a plan of action and work through it to get the results. I spent years (and many failed ventures) trying to establish whether I could do it, what my motivation was and whether I could get through the initial failure and rejection.

Two quick points to consider with this:
As Walter Hay states earlier there can be a risk in the drop ship market, so ensure your research is 100% before you commit to something that'll just drain you financially and emotionally.

As Young-Gun states earlier you need to find the motivation to give you the focus required to make your project a success. Personally I'm a big fan of Tim Ferriss and I've used this tool to establish what I want/need and put it in a framework that gives you a target monthly income required:
Technotheory.com - Dreamline Worksheet 2.0– Updates to the popular 4-Hour Workweek spreadsheet

Once I had the clarity of what I wanted, and what income it would require then I had the motivation I needed.
I was able to coast on this motivation for awhile and generated some progress and momentum, and when that would start to lag I would come back to what I'd established on the worksheet and use the boat and the big house that I wanted to help spur me on. Now I find that I'm not running out of interest, I'm running out of time in the day to get it all done fast enough!!

Hope this helps, Adam

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
I've been thinking about dropshipping from China too, but in a very focused niche & with a supplier that's just starting their own brand & have their own original products, and then go from there, maybe purchase in bulk to distribute their products in the US in the future.

Still a terrible idea?

Would be grateful for any input.

If they are just starting their own brand and they have original products, that would seem to me to be too good an opportunity to do it in the half-hearted way of dropshipping.

For a while at least you will be ahead of the pack if you are the only ones selling those products. True, you'll need to validate the products, but you can do that by placing a small order. Tell the supplier it is a sample order.

If they bomb, you won't have lost much and you won't have wasted your time, money and effort in setting up a dropshipping program. Also your supplier will regard you as a serious player if you place a small order, but won't if you ask them to dropship.

Don't forget how people might react if you dropship and they get their orders in a few weeks instead of a few days, and they come in boxes with Chinese postal markings.

Walter

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015

What a scumbag,:rage: How do people get away with doing those sorts of things for so long.

Hassen

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Mar 13, 2015
If they are just starting their own brand and they have original products, that would seem to me to be too good an opportunity to do it in the half-hearted way of dropshipping.

For a while at least you will be ahead of the pack if you are the only ones selling those products. True, you'll need to validate the products, but you can do that by placing a small order. Tell the supplier it is a sample order.

If they bomb, you won't have lost much and you won't have wasted your time, money and effort in setting up a dropshipping program. Also your supplier will regard you as a serious player if you place a small order, but won't if you ask them to dropship.

Don't forget how people might react if you dropship and they get their orders in a few weeks instead of a few days, and they come in boxes with Chinese postal markings.

Walter

Thank you so much, I'll definitely keep these all in mind.

Validating without dropshipping would be tricky for me since I live in China. And the products are of a restricted category that I can't simply use FBA either without registering a company in Hong Kong, I believe. I'll look into third party US fulfillment centers to see if there'd be any option.

Millenial_Kid5K1

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Feb 14, 2017
Atlanta
Which is more boring and dull? Importing from China, or working a 9-5 for someone else's fastlane?

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Which is more boring and dull? Importing from China, or working a 9-5 for someone else's fastlane?
I quickly turned my importing business, begun in 1987 into a Fastlane enterprise. By using the right marketing techniques, some of which were radical (outside the box), I enjoyed sales increases so rapid that I expanded by way of selling franchises. First one country, then another 3.

The profit margins were huge, so it left plenty of room for my franchisees to pay royalties and still make about 4 times the average wage in their countries.

Nothing very boring or dull about that. The most boring part was banking the checks.:somber:

Walter

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Thank you so much, I'll definitely keep these all in mind.

Validating without dropshipping would be tricky for me since I live in China. And the products are of a restricted category that I can't simply use FBA either without registering a company in Hong Kong, I believe. I'll look into third party US fulfillment centers to see if there'd be any option.

People resident in many countries outside the USA sell through Amazon using FBA. (Even Chinese companies). I'll send you some information on that if it would help.

Walter

Hassen

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Mar 13, 2015
People resident in many countries outside the USA sell through Amazon using FBA. (Even Chinese companies). I'll send you some information on that if it would help.

Walter

I have been selling FBA for two years. Can't use their fulfillment centers for this category I'm thinking since I don't qualify for the revenue threshold to apply. Thanks for the offer though, I'll look into alternatives.

QDF

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Jan 1, 2014

What a scumbag,:rage: How do people get away with doing those sorts of things for so long.

I've encountered a huge spike of this with my own products lately when I've never had a problem before - not sure why the sudden spike.

All are "Just Launched" sellers leeching on my products/listings - Amazon doesn't do much to them, and it's a huge pain in the a$$, but in the grand scheme of things, they're making pennies on my listing compared to what I am and will be banned in time. They have no brand or sellable asset this way either at the end of the day.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
I've encountered a huge spike of this with my own products lately when I've never had a problem before - not sure why the sudden spike.

All are "Just Launched" sellers leeching on my products/listings - Amazon doesn't do much to them, and it's a huge pain in the a$$, but in the grand scheme of things, they're making pennies on my listing compared to what I am and will be banned in time. They have no brand or sellable asset this way either at the end of the day.
Lately there has been a huge upsurge in the number of wanabees from developing countries, lacking English skills, marketing skills, sourcing skills, ethics, and money. They get $ signs in their eyes when they read all the stories of fortunes being made online.

They don't succeed, but they are an irritation to serious online marketers.

These people tend to be the ones who are responsible for the great increase in interest in dropshipping, but because most if not all, take up the dropship from China model, they won't succeed either. This is likely to continue though, because there is seemingly an inexhaustible number of such people coming online every day.

Walter

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.