The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

An AMAZING thing happened to my INCOME when I traded-in my rusty Honda for a Viper

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
It stayed exactly the same.

It's a well kept secret, a secret that many know from personal experience, as they get out of their leased C-Class at the end of the day and wring their hands wondering how they're going to pay the bills. Millions know this truth personally, but refuse to acknowledge that it applies outside themselves, when they look jealously at others and think they must be living the good life. This is the truth: What you drive, what you wear, where you vacation, where you live-in the world of endless high APR loans and "everybody's approved" financing, has nothing to do with your actual value or net worth. Every day, culture is telling you to look at cars, clothes, make-up, sunglasses, phones, watches, headphones, shoes, and more to see who's really made it in life. It's all a sidewalkian scam.

This is Lil' Bow Wow rocking the Murci:

Bow-Wow.jpeg

In case you're wondering about his net worth, he's flat broke, and had to drive his Bentley to his boss' office to beg for a hand out:

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/articles/celebrity/bow-wow-broke/

This is Eric Schmidt's personal car fitted with testing equipment for a project he's working on:

eric-schmidt-png_140450.png

He's a top executive at Google and is worth a touch over 8 billion dollars.

One of the biggest deceptions ever perpetrated on the public is the persistent notion that your value can be gauged by what you consume. That's as crazy as thinking that someone who eats a huge amount of food every day must be an athlete. The problem with that is that somebody who eats 6,000 calories per day can either look like this:

ronda-rousey.jpeg

Or like this:

Fat-2.jpg

But you have absolutely no idea which of the two they are until you see what they do with that energy-what they do with the resources they take in.

One of my first posts on this forum was about how I managed to parlay a low-paying slow lane job into a ball of money big enough to being my fastlane journey. I did it by waking up to this hoax and casting off the superficial trappings of the slow lane-that prosperity is defined by the amount you consume. A friend of mine is dating a broke, former convict, drug-addict bum who just got off welfare and now works at a pet store. He has a nicer car than I had until last year. He has an iPhone 5 with full data. I have the $100 Republic phone with the $25/mo plan. His (rented) house is as big as mine. He goes on nice weekend getaways almost once a month to Atlantic City, cruises several times a year, does regular clubbing, etc. I used to feel like I had no life by comparison.

One of the biggest barriers that you have to overcome is the sidewalk and slow-lane culture telling you you should feel like crap for not having the best phone, car, house, vacation, etc. you can afford. Every bit of success you get, it's crying out "Treat yourself NOW!" You can indulge NOW!" People need to recognize your success NOW!" Every cent you get, this mentality is just crying out for you to take it and consume-give it to someone else, because that is the only way that you can show your true value. For a long time, I felt mad that I had to conserve my resources while Mr. Welfare spent so freely doing all this fun stuff, and had all these cool toys. I was bitter about it until I realized the truth-My careful, production-focused spending wasn't something I had to suffer before I could reach success; it was actually a part of success.

Value and consumption are almost never tied together. Determine your value by looking at what's actually valuable-What you make, what you provide for others, what you do for the world. That is the way your value is defined, not by what you spend and consume.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Dude, you've been on a roll lately! Rep+

Unknown

Fastlane-ish
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 31, 2014
The same thoughts crossed my mind a couple years back (I never cared about any of it anyways, but I hadn't realized there was a better way yet), and my wife and I began to pay down all of our debt. We went from being a household that required 2 jobs just to get by to a household that's looking at having a SAHM for our new son within the next year. For me TMF is the culmination of my search for a better way. I'm working towards something now instead of hoping for something to come my way.

Wuz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Nov 16, 2013
True story. Nowadays is all about status and looking for the best photo to put in the social media.

People forget that after the excitment of having a new toy pass, nobody cares about your fancy car and you will not care either, but you still have to worry about paying the car or sustain the car.

People focus less in being good at socializing with people, and focus more in appearing awesome to other people and telling those amazing stories about their toys and trips and other consuming stories.

And then they go home, spend another week slaving themselves in a job they probably dont like , waiting for a weekend to show their friends their new planned consuming aquisition.

Everybody have their own preferences on how to spend their resources and we should not judge them, but the fact is, most people dont see any advantage in having that lifestlye, they feel bad, and they still continue with that rat race, because is what other people see as a "success".

Mike.B

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Oct 27, 2011
Ohio
I totally agree with this. I bought a 42K truck a few years ago because I thought it would make me look and feel better. I was completely wrong and it almost broke me shortly after I bought it. Thank god I was able to sell it and make $1300 in the process. Now I'm driving a beater and I feel way better about it.

Just knowing that I'm not trapped by a huge payment is awesome. Screw being a 30K millionaire!

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Lovely post. I totally agree 100%.

RHL

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
Dude, you've been on a roll lately! Rep+

Trying to add as much value to the forum as I get from it. It's harder work than you'd think...

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Great post. Thanks for putting so much effort into it.

Reminds me of a line I wish I could attribute to the rightful author:

Too many people spend too much of their lives doing something they hate to buy stuff they don't need to impress people they don't know.

Kinda silly really.

Rep transferred sir.

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
I think its a line from the film Fight Club.
We buy things we don’t need with money we don’t have to impress people we don’t like.
―Fight Club

Will Smith just butchered it up and got tons of Facebook credit for it.

“We spend money that we do not have, on things we do not need, to impress people who do not care.”
―Will Smith

Richie Rich

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Mar 26, 2012
Louisville, KY
I went through a similar experience. I purchased (ahem, financed), a 2008 Bullitt Mustang in 2008. I had wanted to sell it for a few years, but had been upside down on it. As my mindset had shifted from consume and take from the world to create and give something to the world, I realized, I did not need all the crap that I had, including the car. In my mind, I hadn't earned the car, and every time I drove it, I felt out of place and empty. All of my friends and family kept telling me that I would regret selling it and that I shouldn't do it. But they are all sidewalkers/slowlaners, and they mean well, but they don't understand where I was coming from and where I wanted to go with my life. I sold the car and it was the proverbial monkey off of my back; I paid off debt with what I made from selling it. I now drive a 1994 Crown Victoria with a stuck odometer and faded paint and I couldn't be happier.

I don't have a problem with someone who can afford a nice car, but I've realized that most of the people today who drive the nice new cars are financing them and trading their time for money. I'm still working on my fastlane and letting go of many of the things that I once believed I needed to be happy, but now realize they were holding me back and were a trap. It's a shame that so many people believe the hype that is espoused by the media and by society at large: that if we don't have the latest and greatest thing, we are missing out. If only people (myself included) would realize that buying/financing consumer goods just to "fit in" is no way to live and that no matter what you buy, it's not going to make you any more appealing to others. All you end up with is a bunch of stuff that you didn't need to begin with.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Marking Gold, don't really care if it gets a lot of likes, comments, or whatever. Hard truth.

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
This thread is so awesome! I can definitely relate and I can tell you that Physicians seem to be especially vulnerable. What's truly interesting is seeing how my staff reacts to my car.

It has a hilarious (but cheap) paint job, has now 222K miles, is completely paid for, and is fine for now. I know that I could go spend cash for a newer car (and will have to eventually given the car's age and how much I drive for work), but I would so much rather have the money to plow into my business than dump it down the drain!

My staff?

"Dr IWU! Why are you driving that POS? Nice doctor like you should at least be driving a BMW! Heck, I drive a better car than you!!"

Which naturally leads to the following responses:

* "Well, my baby is paid for. Is yours? No? You're on a payment plan? Oh, you're leasing (aka "fleecing") the car? Ah, yeah, well us doctors aren't as rich as we used to be....."

Don't get me wrong...I want a nice car. I really want one. But it doesn't make sense...yet. It would be like eating a dozen donuts a day while trying to lose weight..Nonsensical

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Yeap couldn't agree more. For the last two years I have been driving an 80k BMW but I am resigning my directorship and ending the relationship with my business partner at the end of this month and the car is going back. Too much negativity in the business and it's getting me nowhere. Fed-up with treading water and just making a living. You don't need the trappings and not worried about losing the car. I'll walk or ride my 14 year old Thunderace.

I know millionaires that drive around in sheds, and they are far happier people. Those in the Range Rover Sports etc. often don't have a penny to scratch their arse with.

It's all smoke and mirror people. Smoke and mirrors.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain

rcdlopez

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Nov 12, 2012
Los Angeles
I like having nice things but NOT at the expense of my freedom. Right now I drive an '02 3-series BMW. I bought at a dealership two years ago (first car I ever bought at a dealer) that cost me $8000. Immaculate car with M3 upgrades, everyone who doesn't know cars thinks its new. Best purchase ever cuz I hate feeling poor.

My sister's friend found out I got the Beemer and he set out to one up me by getting a new 3-series. The dude works as a waiter!

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
"My sister's friend found out I got the Beemer and he set out to one up me by getting a new 3-series. The dude works as a waiter!"

And he will probably always work as a waiter. I have a cousin who drives a 60k jaguar and he drives a taxi for a living and struggles to pay the bills.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
A thunderace eh? My first bike was a thundercat. I've been on bikes for about 15 years and had a couple of brand new boxsters when I was single and stupid(er). I recently swapped my bike for a car to help with school runs and am so pleased with it. It's a 2006 Toyota Corrola with 180k on it. All bought and paid for, and I am so pleased I didn't do anything stupid this time.

Now who was it that said "if you think you can afford it, you can't" ? That really helped with my decision making...

RHL

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
Best purchase ever cuz I hate feeling poor.

Not being poor is the best antidote to feeling poor. Rich doesn't feel like the seats in an M3, it feels like not worrying about being laid off or fired... ever.

Luke1213

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 25, 2014
Yea been down this road several times but up until now, it wasn't a huge issue about the payments on cars or what not. But since everything has came to a screeching halt, I am contemplating selling my H2 and maybe my mustang. I hate to sell my mustang since it's paid off and I know I can't get what I invested in it but I never use it for anything and its not really viable with 2 small kids. I financed the H2 almost a year ago because I wanted to look the part with my construction company. I think this H2 has probably cost me more jobs than I got. 50% of the time I would meet a potential client they would see the H2 and tell me that they can't afford me by the type of car I drive. :headbanger:

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
Alright! In the spirit of this thread, here are some other hard-won tips that I've learned over the years:

* Unless you're going into a professional area (Law, Medicine, Dentistry, Scientific Research), college is a big BIG waste of time. Take it from the guy who eventually graduated from the equivalent of the 27th grade.

* Getting a PhD in anything unless you are Really Truly Amazing is also a huge waste of time. This from the guy with a MS in Genetics who was asked to stay for the PhD. Really anymore the graduate school system exists to have a pool of ultra skilled & ultra low cost workers (for the scientists) doing the grunt work for their professors who in turn are working for the universities....whose ultimate game is to get grant money. Follow the money! Plus the job prospects for science PhDs is abysmal. I have many good friends who were simply brilliant scientists and few if any are working primarily in a research capacity anymore. It's frankly very depressing.

You can still get a Master's degree but it should only be for a very specific thing (to develop a skill set, etc), and is definitely not FastLane.

* If you went to college, please forget giving money to Alumni associations. Again, it's a way to use social proof and your feelings to rape you for money. Where is that money going? To scholarships? Hah! No, it's going to fund the salaries of administrators, their staffs, etc...

* For the young guys: That person or persons whom you worry about impressing, or who feel the need to tell you "You're crazy," or "You'll never make it," or "That idea is dumb"....in about five to ten years they will be stuck in their own sidewalk or slowlane hell.

I saw it after graduating HS, after getting out of the Corps, after college (friends from college still living in Slow Lane hell), after medical school (young MDs with a shit ton of debt buying blingy cars and houses right out of residency and absolutely trapped in crappy situations because they have bills to pay..and their employers/groups know it and screw them mercilessly for it).

* Don't get married until you've gotten all of your wandering/playing out of you. Then get married with a nice, good, passionate(!) person who is someone you can absolutely trust. Someone who is brave as well, because as you get further along in life's journey's you don't want to be held back by Mr/Mrs Fraidy-Cat.

And marriage is GREAT! Extremely difficult at times but WORTH IT. Also, a great woman will force you to grow up and man up in ways that you never thought that you needed to. Don't believe everything that the guy at BoldandDetermined.com says about women. That's one man's opinion. (He's right about a lot though. ;))

* Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations, and demand proof.

* 99% of TV is a waste. Most of the Internet is a waste. Video games (though I love them) are an even bigger waste. They're all variations on a them: vapid & mindless distraction from how much your life sucks! If you're doing these things instead of doing something productive then you're dooming yourself to mediocrity, sloth, a life of NOTHINGNESS and soul-sucking emptiness!!

Listen, the most alive that I've ever been in my life? When I'm taking risks, pushing the envelope out there, being waaay out of my comfort zone. It's awesome, addicting, and you grow so very much. So get off your a$$! Do! Fail! Do again! Just don't die. ;) Are you going to your grave saying, "I wish I woulda.."?

* While you're out there living your life, take care to do the things that are important to you. Even you young dudes don't have an infinite time on this Earth. Take it from a guy who's seen a lot of death and destruction....death comes for us all. Best that you've loved your loved ones, and really embraced life in the meantime.

Edit to add: and kids! When you're ready, you'll find that they're a joy and a pleasure. My kids and my wife are a big part of the motivation to be a better human being/Dad/Husband. When your 4 yo boy waxes rhapsodic about Spider Man and how he could totally crush Iron Man...that's pretty cool.

/soapbox

Last edited:

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
I'm gonna share something on here that might be very controversial here at the forum:

I stopped being materialistic and stopped giving a damn about money.

And something amazing happened; my income went up.

It freed my mind to focus on the dirty work, being a producer to the max, the difficult and boring stuff that is rarely talked about in business.

Everyone is so obsessed with looks, cars, watches etc and using business as a way to get rich that rarely is the true purpose of business and its process exposed.

Wearing a Rolex while you make a sandwich does not make the sandwich taste better!

A friend of mine read TMF and now he wears expensive watches and leased the latest 3 series BMW. His facebook page says his occupation is "Entrepreneur" and yet he produces NOTHING. Its all just a show. It just a rotten obsession with looks and to displaying a certain image.

Don't get me wrong, Lambos are cool, watches are cool. You gotta live your life and celebrate your hard work.

But just food for thought. Are looks really that important? Do you have to be obsessed with displaying a certain image?

My happiness and productivity improved when I simply stopped caring about having "more" and showing off more.

D

DeletedUser394

I went to visit zen******* with the preconceived notion that it would be all serious, nice clothes, fancy cars, etc.

He and an employee picked me up from the airport in a nondescript SUV, socks and sandals and totally laid back. When we got to his office there was no fancy reception or flashy bs, just a place where people could get things done.. including sampling some home made moonshine before noon. Spent the night at a local dive making penis jokes for hours.

before that my perception of what wealth was was represented by that stereotype of what 'success' should look like. Needless to say that idea was shattered really quickly and I'm greatfull.

Last edited by a moderator:

Magik

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Sep 23, 2013
There is something that is more valuable than money, more valuable than things, and one could make an argument that it is more valuable than time. What is this one thing? FREEDOM.

As far as I'm concerned, freedom reigns supreme, but now the sad part? No one gives a shit about it anymore. Sure, if you ask 100 random yahoos on the street if they think freedom is important, they'll say "yes", yet their actions say otherwise. They are dependent on big government for a handout. They are dependent on big pharma to give them little helpers (anti-depressants and stimulants) to help ease the pain of servitude and the lack of control they have over their life. They buy things they don't need with money they don't have. They're dependent on bosses.

Freedom is the #1 thing driving me:

-Freedom from bosses
-Freedom from government
-Freedom from anti-depressants, stimulants, and anything else big pharma pushes to make people "feel better"
-Freedom to go anywhere in the world anytime I want
-Freedom from debt and no dependency on family
-Freedom from selfishness, which is obtained by offering value to others
-Freedom from mindless consumerism
-Freedom from false societal programming

Chasing needs and providing value will lead you to freedom, as long as that's what you truly want.

Last edited:

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
A thunderace eh? My first bike was a thundercat.

I bought the Ace as an excuse for a midlife crisis ;). Hadn't had a bike for over 10 years. Not since the judge said I wouldn't need one for a while and selling it would help pay the fine. lol

A great way of getting away from all the stresses of life and a fantastic way of meeting interesting people from all walks of life so it has entrepreneurial connotations.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.