The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

24 y/o Copywriter, Lost AF

What would you recommend a new-ish copywriter to do?

• Try to get acquired

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Make your own platform and business

Votes: 8 100.0%
  • Stick to freelance websites that pay jack

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Welcome :) I can see that you put a lot of thought into your writing, even in an informal setting like a forum. Respect.

I don't care about being a millionaire myself. Inventing a product. Drop-shipping. Curing cancer.

No pressure, but would you consider upgrading to low-grade millionaire? Millions are the new hundred-thousands, you know.

Also, if you come across a cure for cancer, would you mind sharing?

And I have no idea how to find REAL clients...how to make a real business...and how to distinguish myself from an unwashed mass of "barefoot writers."

A few thoughts on this. First, I agree you should establish your own presence. Put up a minimal site of your own, register with google local, and start getting star reviews on a platform other than fiverr or upwork. You want to persist independent of any one platform.

Second. Build specific marketing messages. "You thought you were selling vitamins to seniors before? Let me show you how it's done!" Ok, maybe not that one. But a more specific message tells the lurker who you help, and what problem you help them with. It might be hard to establish this on "platforms" due to space limitations, but you can surely do it when you control the medium.

Consider this: I might not set out to find a copywriter, even when I need one. What does a copywriter know about my problem? What does a copywriter do; what does one do for me?

Instead, I go looking for ideas on how to sell more auto insurance, or more tires, or how to write a compelling presentation. If you find an under-served market of people who need your ability to solve a certain problem, they could end up being your best, favoritest clients.

Finally, I can't stop myself from mentioning this. If you personally provide a service and anything goes wrong with your ability to work, your income stops.

My definition of a "business" requires that it persists even if the owner is suddenly absent. You may define it differently, but for the sake of resilience, consider that it is possible to apply any viable service to the creation of a "business" that matches my definition.

You can already write copy that sells. What if you looked for a way to use your own product, your own sales page, your own how-to guide, your own contract for commissions or royalties, your own something that doesn't require your daily involvement, to make some income? I won't claim it's trivial to make this work, but it's not harder than making a living writing copy.

And the FREE bonus for applying your skills to the market on your own behalf? You can turn down as many nutty clients as you want ;)

P.S.: I wasn't smart enough to find your Fiverr profile. If I can't find it in a few minutes, there are others who can't find it, even if they are looking. Create at least one "door" into your business that you own!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...