The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

18, Student - Introduction

hjortshoej

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Oct 7, 2020
Denmark
Thank you for the books @MJ DeMarco - they've changed my life and future trajectory for the better.

Thank you for letting me be a part of this community.

I'm 18 years old, living in Denmark (born & raised). Currently attending the US equivalent of college I believe. My goals are to move away from this country, I have come to the conclusion, that a very cold & rainy "welfare state", with VERY high taxes isn't for me.

(Just a quick google search will do the trick: "Does Denmark have the highest taxes in the world?
People living in Denmark pay some of the world's highest taxes - up to half of their income. On top of this, Danes pay a 25 % value-added tax on most items, and a tax of up to 150 % on new cars. But most Danes will tell you that they are happy to pay taxes because they can see what they get in return.
")

The only real benefit from this is "free" medical care, and "education" - but since the education we're currently getting is worth close to nothing, I cannot see any benefits from staying.
Let me just say, that I do not want to put up with these conditions, and it will most likely ruin my dreams of becoming truly Unscripted and living a Fastlane lifestyle.

To get away from ranting about taxes, I want to move to a country where the conditions are better, and somewhere I know I can make it...

I'm tired of wasting time, hearing classmates talk about working a job to become "rich", and I'm done studying worthless subjects... THE DOGMA IS CRAZY, EVERYBODY I KNOW = BRAINWASHED

So I thought Canada - I'm currently looking at getting into a University, which will be my Golden Key to the Holy Land of Opportunity.
^looking for guidance in this area^ and---> I know a Degree won't get me unlimited access to the country, but it will be essential for a foreigner like me when getting a job, which in turn will allow me (after a while) to become a citizen. (New Prison Unlocked)
I am looking for advice on my current plan. In terms of jobs, I'm going to pursue the financial world as a foundation for income, and I want to become a real estate agent or similar.
(which will expose me to magnitude, and unbind me from an x amount of $/hour basis)

Anyways... I am thankful that I have an amazing family that supports me, and actually wants me to pursue my dreams.
Also, I started my "adult life" with a little lump sum of cash, that I thankfully invested in myself, the stock market & cryptocurrency. I know this will help me when I eventually get down to starting my own business.

Thank you for reading my introduction, I would appreciate some feedback and or criticism of my current thinking.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

sanadly

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Sep 15, 2020
Earth
Thank you for the books @MJ DeMarco - they've changed my life and future trajectory for the better.

Thank you for letting me be a part of this community.

I'm 18 years old, living in Denmark (born & raised). Currently attending the US equivalent of college I believe. My goals are to move away from this country, I have come to the conclusion, that a very cold & rainy "welfare state", with VERY high taxes isn't for me.

(Just a quick google search will do the trick: "Does Denmark have the highest taxes in the world?
People living in Denmark pay some of the world's highest taxes - up to half of their income. On top of this, Danes pay a 25 % value-added tax on most items, and a tax of up to 150 % on new cars. But most Danes will tell you that they are happy to pay taxes because they can see what they get in return.
")

The only real benefit from this is "free" medical care, and "education" - but since the education we're currently getting is worth close to nothing, I cannot see any benefits from staying.
Let me just say, that I do not want to put up with these conditions, and it will most likely ruin my dreams of becoming truly Unscripted and living a Fastlane lifestyle.

To get away from ranting about taxes, I want to move to a country where the conditions are better, and somewhere I know I can make it...

I'm tired of wasting time, hearing classmates talk about working a job to become "rich", and I'm done studying worthless subjects... THE DOGMA IS CRAZY, EVERYBODY I KNOW = BRAINWASHED

So I thought Canada - I'm currently looking at getting into a University, which will be my Golden Key to the Holy Land of Opportunity.
^looking for guidance in this area^ and---> I know a Degree won't get me unlimited access to the country, but it will be essential for a foreigner like me when getting a job, which in turn will allow me (after a while) to become a citizen. (New Prison Unlocked)
I am looking for advice on my current plan. In terms of jobs, I'm going to pursue the financial world as a foundation for income, and I want to become a real estate agent or similar.
(which will expose me to magnitude, and unbind me from an x amount of $/hour basis)

Anyways... I am thankful that I have an amazing family that supports me, and actually wants me to pursue my dreams.
Also, I started my "adult life" with a little lump sum of cash, that I thankfully invested in myself, the stock market & cryptocurrency. I know this will help me when I eventually get down to starting my own business.

Thank you for reading my introduction, I would appreciate some feedback and or criticism of my current thinking.
you can apply for dvlottery and if you got lucky you go to America and have a permanent residence .

Notice that the program will close next week.

hjortshoej

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Oct 7, 2020
Denmark
you can apply for dvlottery and if you got lucky you go to America and have a permanent residence .

Notice that the program will close next week.
Not really what I had in mind, but thanks. Next week is also a little short timeframe.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario

That's more or less how it works.

I did just that, although for other reasons (and from the USA). I got a 4 year degree, got a job, got permanent residence, and now I work for myself here.

It's not too difficult, the only issue you'll have is securing funding to go to university since it's expensive here. Maybe Denmark will pay for it, I don't know. Or you might have a scholarship. Or family money.

You don't have to get a 4 year degree although to qualify for the post-grad work permit for a long enough time to get enough work experience to quality for Canadian Experience Class, you'll need at least a 2-year program (and you'll need to get a job placement immediately if you go that route, and you still might not have enough points to qualify)

People who already have education and work experience can more easily immigrate to Canada, so long as they have a job offer in the country (in certain fields) and can prove proficiency in English and/or French.

You don't need to become a citizen of Canada to be able to live there (and take advantage of our much lower taxes). Tax rates for small businesses are also very favorable, although they go up past $500k/yr earnings.

And, despite our lower taxes, you still get healthcare. Education isn't free but the schools are good here and you get what you pay for.

Not to get political (and I do lean more liberal than most others on this forum), but when tax rates are extremely high to provide for a welfare state for the average person, the hyperproductive people tend to seek greener pastures. It's not good or bad, it's human nature. Interesting to hear it from someone who actually comes from a place like that.

Damian85

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Sep 29, 2020
Wroclaw, Poland
Danes pay
<joke>
I thought that Danes rob and burn.
What will you tell your ancestors watching you from Valhalla?
</joke>

The viking's blood is within you, Dane!
Rob and burn this world out of things you want.
Not with a sward, but with business skills - that's your new weapon!

That's what I wish you! ; )

hjortshoej

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Oct 7, 2020
Denmark
That's more or less how it works.

I did just that, although for other reasons (and from the USA). I got a 4 year degree, got a job, got permanent residence, and now I work for myself here.

It's not too difficult, the only issue you'll have is securing funding to go to university since it's expensive here. Maybe Denmark will pay for it, I don't know. Or you might have a scholarship. Or family money.

You don't have to get a 4 year degree although to qualify for the post-grad work permit for a long enough time to get enough work experience to quality for Canadian Experience Class, you'll need at least a 2-year program (and you'll need to get a job placement immediately if you go that route, and you still might not have enough points to qualify)

People who already have education and work experience can more easily immigrate to Canada, so long as they have a job offer in the country (in certain fields) and can prove proficiency in English and/or French.

You don't need to become a citizen of Canada to be able to live there (and take advantage of our much lower taxes). Tax rates for small businesses are also very favorable, although they go up past $500k/yr earnings.

And, despite our lower taxes, you still get healthcare. Education isn't free but the schools are good here and you get what you pay for.

Not to get political (and I do lean more liberal than most others on this forum), but when tax rates are extremely high to provide for a welfare state for the average person, the hyperproductive people tend to seek greener pastures. It's not good or bad, it's human nature. Interesting to hear it from someone who actually comes from a place like that.
Based of what I know, the government will pay for education overseas, but since I might not have the needed "average grade" to apply for a university, I might need to approach it in another way - I'm currently seeking professional help in my country to clarify this. The only good grades I have are in English class.

I've thought about ditching the degree, and just going straight for the realtor license & the job of course, on a 2 year stay in the country (not citizenship) if that's even possible.

Thank you for the insights :)

hjortshoej

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Oct 7, 2020
Denmark
<joke>
I thought that Danes rob and burn.
What will you tell your ancestors watching you from Valhalla?
</joke>

The viking's blood is within you, Dane!
Rob and burn this world out of things you want.
Not with a sward, but with business skills - that's your new weapon!

That's what I wish you! ; )
Thank you :)

Kasimir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland
I really get you. I also wanted to start university partly in Canada. We have a special program where you study for one year here in Switzerland and then two years abroad. But I didn't do it, because I just wasn't sure if the university is the right thing to do.
We here in Switzerland have one of the best educations I think (not sure but definitely top 10). But I'm still sure that it's not the right path for me. I'd love to move to LA or Canada, but now with COVID isn't the right time for me. I'd rather start a second business and when this is generating a little money I definitely want to move. But nowadays with the chance of creating an online business, it's so easy to make money even from home.

Really hope that you make it to Canada. You can't imagine creating an online business from home and going to Canada in one or two years, or can you?

hjortshoej

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Oct 7, 2020
Denmark
I really get you. I also wanted to start university partly in Canada. We have a special program where you study for one year here in Switzerland and then two years abroad. But I didn't do it, because I just wasn't sure if the university is the right thing to do.
We here in Switzerland have one of the best educations I think (not sure but definitely top 10). But I'm still sure that it's not the right path for me. I'd love to move to LA or Canada, but now with COVID isn't the right time for me. I'd rather start a second business and when this is generating a little money I definitely want to move. But nowadays with the chance of creating an online business, it's so easy to make money even from home.

Really hope that you make it to Canada. You can't imagine creating an online business from home and going to Canada in one or two years, or can you?
Thank you, yeah theoretically you could create an online business and take it with you to Canada.
I hope the COVID situation will be over when it's time for me to take the leap, otherwise, I will just have to wait.

Kasimir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland
Thank you, yeah theoretically you could create an online business and take it with you to Canada.
I hope the COVID situation will be over when it's time for me to take the leap, otherwise, I will just have to wait.
Don't want to be pushy or get involved too much. But what can you lose by starting an online blog or so? You can earn money, have a backup plan and universities love it (or at least here in Switzerland). If you get accepted and can move there you can keep it on the side earn a little bit and when you graduate you have something to build on.

hjortshoej

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Oct 7, 2020
Denmark
Don't want to be pushy or get involved too much. But what can you lose by starting an online blog or so? You can earn money, have a backup plan and universities love it (or at least here in Switzerland). If you get accepted and can move there you can keep it on the side earn a little bit and when you graduate you have something to build on.
Well, all you could lose is the time you put into it, otherwise nothing really.

Kasimir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland
Blogging really isn't the type of business I would like to start, a YouTube channel would be better in my opinion
It doesn't have to be either. There are so many things out there. If I were you I'd start a brand around a topic you like. Maybe climate change (that's usually also good for university applications). And build a community around that. Could even get a friend into the business, so you don't have to worry when you are at university.

Kasimir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland
Any good news? Or still, waiting for the Covid situation to be better?

hjortshoej

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Oct 7, 2020
Denmark
Sorry to heard that. And no motivation to start a side hustle if I may ask?
(Don't want to sell you anything, just want to motivate you :))
I'm just trying to get through Covid & School at the moment :D

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...