The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The power of Meditation???!!!

Anything related to matters of the mind

BaiAnrui

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Jul 30, 2019
The Netherlands
Hello all,

I have a question about meditation,. You must know my head always works. Friends sometimes say that I have an ADHD brain;). Ideas come and go, this is of course a good feature for an entrepreneur, but I also want some rest sometime.
Also because after rest, there is room for new ideas. Sport mainly brings me peace now, but am looking for more!

Recently i got interested in meditation, partly because I am regularly in China, where meditation plays an important role. And of course many 'Gurus talk about this subject'. I try it sometimes and it helps, but I often find it difficult to do it and find te time for it.

1. Are there people on this forum who have experience with meditation?
  2. And if so, which techniques do you use and how long etc?
  3. And how can you apply this effectively in daily life?
Maybe someone can give some good ideas, i'm always open for learning new things!

Greetings, Andre

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja

Kybalion

Renegade Master
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Oct 5, 2018
Are there people on this forum who have experience with meditation?

I've been meditating for 2 years now. I've noticed huge changes in the quality of my life and head-space. The effects of meditation set in gradually, so don't expect too much from it at the start. But this is what I've gotten out of the habit: better ability to focus, increased impulse control, I naturally gravitate towards healthy foods, I've started to dislike alcohol, drugs and cigarettes, gained more empathy, more willpower, increased control over my moods, feeling of purpose etc.

Before I started to meditate my ego kept me chained to negativity and addictions. I had identified with my thoughts and they kept pulling me down. After I found out that I can silence the chatter, I was able to reclaim control over my thoughts, emotions and actions (to a degree, I am not, nor do I intend to be perfect)

And if so, which techniques do you use and how long etc.?

I just focus on my breath 20 minutes a day. When I notice my mind wandering I just return my attention to breath.

And how can you apply this effectively in daily life?

Well, how do You apply going to shower effectively in daily life? Think of this habit as a shower for Your brain. It is not a magic pill. It is just a mental hygiene thing.

Strategery

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jun 25, 2019
I've been meditating for several years, I started back when I was in college. For me the biggest advantage is the choice that meditation makes you aware of... that is, you may not be able to cease feeling thoughts/emotions, but you can choose whether or not you want to react to them. Obviously, this takes a long time to get to this point, and I'm not exactly Buddha, but consistent meditation has definitely helped me to control anger.

As far as how long to practice, I would do less than you think you can at first. Whether your habit is 5 minutes daily or 1 hour daily, a habit is a habit. Start small to train your mindfulness muscle.

Any app is good, I've used Headspace, Calm and Waking Up, with Headspace being my favorite. If cost is an issue, just use Headspace or Waking Up until you feel like you don't need to be guided, then switch to a free app and just use the timer.

As far as technique, mindfulness is my favorite, and is usually the type that is tested in scientific studies and whatnot. Although Loving Kindness meditation is worthwhile, too.

Applying your practice in every day life is the overall goal, and is also the most difficult part of meditation. Anyone can sit for 5 minutes in the morning, feel peaceful, only to have it all undone by some dickhead pulling out in front of you. The more you practice, the less likely that traffic, bad bosses, or the guy that takes up three parking spaces will cause an outward reaction.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja

I've been meditating for 2 years now. I've noticed huge changes in the quality of my life and head-space. The effects of meditation set in gradually, so don't expect too much from it at the start. But this is what I've gotten out of the habit: better ability to focus, increased impulse control, I naturally gravitate towards healthy foods, I've started to dislike alcohol, drugs and cigarettes, gained more empathy, more willpower, increased control over my moods, feeling of purpose etc.

Before I started to meditate my ego kept me chained to negativity and addictions. I had identified with my thoughts and they kept pulling me down. After I found out that I can silence the chatter, I was able to reclaim control over my thoughts, emotions and actions (to a degree, I am not, nor do I intend to be perfect)

I just focus on my breath 20 minutes a day. When I notice my mind wandering I just return my attention to breath.

Well, how do You apply going to shower effectively in daily life? Think of this habit as a shower for Your brain. It is not a magic pill. It is just a mental hygiene thing.
Hey, I'm going to use this quote in another thread of mine, if you don't mind.

LPPC

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Mar 6, 2016
With meditaton and increase in consciousness you will have more clarity about life. What used to be difficult and a problem, becomes easy and not problematic. Life becomes easy. You will be way more intelligent because your intelligence will not be limited to only the capacity of your brain. You will transcendent your mind more and more. The only way to really get and experience what I am talking about, you have to do it (meditate, raise consciousness, observe).

So this means a capacity to build better businesses, on top of the not-so-big advantages as less stress and more happiness :p

I have achieved the highest states of peace and clarity with do-nothing meditation combined with strong determination sitting.Both of these terms can be looked up on the internet. For the beginner though, focusing on the breath may be the best because it is one of the easiest methods. It gives the monkey mind something to do.

Edit:
As @Strategery mentioned, the most important thing is taking the mindfulness/awareness you have on your meditation cushion into the real world. Meaning, being aware while you are doing your daily tasks and work. Spirituality is not something separate from life, it can be done together with living your normal life. Just like you can ride a car and at the same time listen to an audiobook.

BaiAnrui

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Jul 30, 2019
The Netherlands

Thanks for your personal insights...really useful.

superstock

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Mar 26, 2017
Toronto, Canada
You guys have any recommendations for resources that are not guided meditation? I found calm and head-space to be annoying

NMdad

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Aug 6, 2017
New Mexico
I use an app called Insight Timer. You can save preset sessions for whatever duration you want, configure start/end chimes, reminder chimes during sessions, and background sounds (water, birdsong, etc.).

Since you can create even like 3-minute session, it lowers the bar to starting & creating a habit. Cuz even on super busy days, everyone can--and should--take even just a handful of minutes to calm & refocus.

Dianne Cohen

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Sep 7, 2018
1.) Are there people on this forum who have experience with meditation?

I have been meditating one way or another since I was 17 and am 56 now. So yes, I have tons of experience.

2.) And if so, which techniques do you use and how long etc?

You have to figure out which is best for you. My favorites are guided meditation and hypnosis.

3.) And how can you apply this effectively in daily life?

That is a loaded question. I think what I do, is pick the one problem that I am looking to solve (usually the one most important to me at the moment) and work on it through meditation.

BaiAnrui

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Jul 30, 2019
The Netherlands
I really ant to share this update. When i came to this forum i had nothing on wih meditation.
and now im hooked, i use the Headspace ap. And now the meditation moment is an important moment in a day for me. I really feel more relaxed and don't react so impulsive anymore!!

Thanks for the tip!

Strategery

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jun 25, 2019
I really ant to share this update. When i came to this forum i had nothing on wih meditation.
and now im hooked, i use the Headspace ap. And now the meditation moment is an important moment in a day for me. I really feel more relaxed and don't react so impulsive anymore!!

Thanks for the tip!
Glad to hear it! I've found that including meditation in a Miracle Morning routine is even more powerful

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
Once you know how to meditate, you can begin to be meditative always.

Being meditative means to be focusing on what is currently going on now. Not being in your head thinking about the past or future or fantasizing.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
1. It can calm you.
2. You don't have to become "enlightened"
3. Its effective since minute 1.

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
I learned how to mindfulness meditate from a Buhdist monk in Thailand.

I always thought that I was supposed to reach some Zen state of enlightenment and I would know when I got there.

Wrong.

He taught me that meditating is the act of bringing your attention from a thought back to a focal point.

That means your add mind is actually a normal mind and if you are constantly having to refocus back on your breath or whatever, you are doing it right.

The muscle you are working on is directing your focus.

Once I realized that I was doing it right, I understood.

When you get better at holding your focus in one place you start to see all those random thoughts for what they are and you're able to recognize from what part of your mind they come from.

When you practice this all the time you can continue to be mindful throughout the day and realize that you are not your thoughts. You are the one focusing your attention and your thoughts are often just neurons firing from various parts of your brain.

TLDR: if you are constantly having to refocus your attention away from random thoughts, you are doing meditation right. That's what it is!

Philip 4

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 6, 2021

Think of this habit as a shower for Your brain. It is not a magic pill. It is just a mental hygiene thing.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Meditation (or mindfulness) will help you improve your self-awareness, concentration and relaxation. Everything that requires self-awareness and concentration will also be improved as a result of meditation, so there are a lot of downstream positive benefits.

However, meditation is not a therapy nor is it a technique for actively dealing with psychological challenges. In so far as meditation is taken to be such a technique, it is, as Jordan Peterson says, a FAD.

When dealing with negativity, limiting beliefs, depression, anxiety and so on, meditation does not beat the placebo. You need actual psychological techniques that can help release those feelings. Letting go is one such technique. Cognitive reframes another. Now all psychological techniques, to be effective, presuppose self-awareness. So mindfulness will help, as in laying the foundation, but nothing more than that.

GreatNicko

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 3, 2021
I've been meditating for several years, I started back when I was in college. For me the biggest advantage is the choice that meditation makes you aware of... that is, you may not be able to cease feeling thoughts/emotions, but you can choose whether or not you want to react to them. Obviously, this takes a long time to get to this point, and I'm not exactly Buddha, but consistent meditation has definitely helped me to control anger.

As far as how long to practice, I would do less than you think you can at first. Whether your habit is 5 minutes daily or 1 hour daily, a habit is a habit. Start small to train your mindfulness muscle.

Any app is good, I've used Headspace, Calm and Waking Up, with Headspace being my favorite. If cost is an issue, just use Headspace or Waking Up until you feel like you don't need to be guided, then switch to a free app and just use the timer.

As far as technique, mindfulness is my favorite, and is usually the type that is tested in scientific studies and whatnot. Although Loving Kindness meditation is worthwhile, too.

Applying your practice in every day life is the overall goal, and is also the most difficult part of meditation. Anyone can sit for 5 minutes in the morning, feel peaceful, only to have it all undone by some dickhead pulling out in front of you. The more you practice, the less likely that traffic, bad bosses, or the guy that takes up three parking spaces will cause an outward reaction.
Hi

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.