The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  • Sell-Me Saturday is Now Live!

Have something to sell? Like to post a video from your YouTube channel? Want to promote your design service? Recommend a company? SELL-ME SATURDAY is your opportunity to self-promote whatever you'd like within the realm of entrepreneurship on one central thread... and at no cost. Go There
    Note: Indiscriminate SEO backlinking to questionable material is not allowed.
  • Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs who are earning their freedom and living their dream.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The C.E.N.T.S Framework outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED®). From multimillionaires to digital nomads to side hustlers who are grinding a job, the Fastlane Forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses with one goal in mind: Freedom— both financial and temporal.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane) Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block.

The power of Meditation???!!!

AndreP

New Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 30, 2019
The Netherlands
Hello all,

I have a question about meditation,. You must know my head always works. Friends sometimes say that I have an ADHD brain;). Ideas come and go, this is of course a good feature for an entrepreneur, but I also want some rest sometime.
Also because after rest, there is room for new ideas. Sport mainly brings me peace now, but am looking for more!

Recently i got interested in meditation, partly because I am regularly in China, where meditation plays an important role. And of course many 'Gurus talk about this subject'. I try it sometimes and it helps, but I often find it difficult to do it and find te time for it.

1. Are there people on this forum who have experience with meditation?
  2. And if so, which techniques do you use and how long etc?
  3. And how can you apply this effectively in daily life?
Maybe someone can give some good ideas, i'm always open for learning new things!

Greetings, Andre

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

ChrisV

Platinum Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja

Rawseed

Legendary Lurker
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Mar 1, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Consider trying the HeadSpace app or the Calm app.

With HeadSpace, you can start with as little as 3 minutes a day.

Kybalion

Renegade Master
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Oct 5, 2018
Are there people on this forum who have experience with meditation?

I've been meditating for 2 years now. I've noticed huge changes in the quality of my life and head-space. The effects of meditation set in gradually, so don't expect too much from it at the start. But this is what I've gotten out of the habit: better ability to focus, increased impulse control, I naturally gravitate towards healthy foods, I've started to dislike alcohol, drugs and cigarettes, gained more empathy, more willpower, increased control over my moods, feeling of purpose etc.

Before I started to meditate my ego kept me chained to negativity and addictions. I had identified with my thoughts and they kept pulling me down. After I found out that I can silence the chatter, I was able to reclaim control over my thoughts, emotions and actions (to a degree, I am not, nor do I intend to be perfect)

And if so, which techniques do you use and how long etc.?

I just focus on my breath 20 minutes a day. When I notice my mind wandering I just return my attention to breath.

And how can you apply this effectively in daily life?

Well, how do You apply going to shower effectively in daily life? Think of this habit as a shower for Your brain. It is not a magic pill. It is just a mental hygiene thing.

Strategery

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jun 25, 2019
I've been meditating for several years, I started back when I was in college. For me the biggest advantage is the choice that meditation makes you aware of... that is, you may not be able to cease feeling thoughts/emotions, but you can choose whether or not you want to react to them. Obviously, this takes a long time to get to this point, and I'm not exactly Buddha, but consistent meditation has definitely helped me to control anger.

As far as how long to practice, I would do less than you think you can at first. Whether your habit is 5 minutes daily or 1 hour daily, a habit is a habit. Start small to train your mindfulness muscle.

Any app is good, I've used Headspace, Calm and Waking Up, with Headspace being my favorite. If cost is an issue, just use Headspace or Waking Up until you feel like you don't need to be guided, then switch to a free app and just use the timer.

As far as technique, mindfulness is my favorite, and is usually the type that is tested in scientific studies and whatnot. Although Loving Kindness meditation is worthwhile, too.

Applying your practice in every day life is the overall goal, and is also the most difficult part of meditation. Anyone can sit for 5 minutes in the morning, feel peaceful, only to have it all undone by some dickhead pulling out in front of you. The more you practice, the less likely that traffic, bad bosses, or the guy that takes up three parking spaces will cause an outward reaction.

ChrisV

Platinum Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja

I've been meditating for 2 years now. I've noticed huge changes in the quality of my life and head-space. The effects of meditation set in gradually, so don't expect too much from it at the start. But this is what I've gotten out of the habit: better ability to focus, increased impulse control, I naturally gravitate towards healthy foods, I've started to dislike alcohol, drugs and cigarettes, gained more empathy, more willpower, increased control over my moods, feeling of purpose etc.

Before I started to meditate my ego kept me chained to negativity and addictions. I had identified with my thoughts and they kept pulling me down. After I found out that I can silence the chatter, I was able to reclaim control over my thoughts, emotions and actions (to a degree, I am not, nor do I intend to be perfect)

I just focus on my breath 20 minutes a day. When I notice my mind wandering I just return my attention to breath.

Well, how do You apply going to shower effectively in daily life? Think of this habit as a shower for Your brain. It is not a magic pill. It is just a mental hygiene thing.
Hey, I'm going to use this quote in another thread of mine, if you don't mind.

LPPC

Bronze Contributor
Mar 6, 2016
With meditaton and increase in consciousness you will have more clarity about life. What used to be difficult and a problem, becomes easy and not problematic. Life becomes easy. You will be way more intelligent because your intelligence will not be limited to only the capacity of your brain. You will transcendent your mind more and more. The only way to really get and experience what I am talking about, you have to do it (meditate, raise consciousness, observe).

So this means a capacity to build better businesses, on top of the not-so-big advantages as less stress and more happiness :p

I have achieved the highest states of peace and clarity with do-nothing meditation combined with strong determination sitting.Both of these terms can be looked up on the internet. For the beginner though, focusing on the breath may be the best because it is one of the easiest methods. It gives the monkey mind something to do.

Edit:
As @Strategery mentioned, the most important thing is taking the mindfulness/awareness you have on your meditation cushion into the real world. Meaning, being aware while you are doing your daily tasks and work. Spirituality is not something separate from life, it can be done together with living your normal life. Just like you can ride a car and at the same time listen to an audiobook.

OP
OP
AndreP

AndreP

New Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 30, 2019
The Netherlands

Thanks for your personal insights...really useful.

superstock

New Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Mar 26, 2017
Toronto, Canada
You guys have any recommendations for resources that are not guided meditation? I found calm and head-space to be annoying

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

NMdad

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 6, 2017
New Mexico
I use an app called Insight Timer. You can save preset sessions for whatever duration you want, configure start/end chimes, reminder chimes during sessions, and background sounds (water, birdsong, etc.).

Since you can create even like 3-minute session, it lowers the bar to starting & creating a habit. Cuz even on super busy days, everyone can--and should--take even just a handful of minutes to calm & refocus.

ThePowerOfStory

New Contributor
Aug 8, 2019
Germany
Meditation is as important for your mind as exercise is for your body. It's one of those habits that, if done regulary, can really impact your life for the better. Start with a minute twice daily and ramp it up until you reach 20 mins twice daily.

It will increase willpower, focus, decrease anxiety, help with sleep, increase happines, and on and on. Just google it. Research has proven the benefits of meditation again and again.

Dianne Cohen

Contributor
Sep 7, 2018
1.) Are there people on this forum who have experience with meditation?

I have been meditating one way or another since I was 17 and am 56 now. So yes, I have tons of experience.

2.) And if so, which techniques do you use and how long etc?

You have to figure out which is best for you. My favorites are guided meditation and hypnosis.

3.) And how can you apply this effectively in daily life?

That is a loaded question. I think what I do, is pick the one problem that I am looking to solve (usually the one most important to me at the moment) and work on it through meditation.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe to become an INSIDER.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom