The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Only 3 Beliefs Holding You Back Right Now

Outdoorlife2005

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Oct 10, 2020
Illinois
what an awesome post
Spot on

this post screams me all over it. I’m not where I am due to me. I haven’t wanted it bad enough. (As I finally realized) after a tragic event it has woken me up

I’m so glad I came across the millionaire Fastlane book and now this forum. I’m taking action daily and it feels so good. I’ve had so many bad habits (spending ones) and after writing them down and looking at them daily I am so disappointed with myself for how stupid I’ve been the last few years. I have a solid game plan and plucking away at it daily until I reach my next goal

Katherine

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
248%
Mar 11, 2019
Singapore
For those of you who are parents , what beliefs will you impart to your children now? I certainly want my children to have a good head start.

I certainly don't want to pass on my helpless belief! Thanks @Kung Fu Steve for the wonderful post!

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
For those of you who are parents , what beliefs will you impart to your children now? I certainly want my children to have a good head start.

I certainly don't want to pass on my helpless belief! Thanks @Kung Fu Steve for the wonderful post!
I find myself saying these kinds of things often:

You can do it.
Keep trying.
You can figure it out.
Talk to your brother/sister and figure it out together.

They also have chores. No reward, no allowance, they are expected to do their chores because we all have duties and responsibilities.

And I ask them often, "What do you think?" Whether it's about what we're going to do today, or what to eat, or what just read together, or how to accomplish something, I solicit their opinion often. Not always, they still know Dad's the boss, but I want to encourage them to think for themselves. If they don't have an opinion, I encourage them to think it over.

I also encourage a lot of reading, which helps show them what is possible.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Luis Weiland

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Oct 13, 2020
GOLD.

How can we be proactive as possible with belief change?
Are there any practices you would recommend?
As he said, the fastest way is to start by meditation learn to calm and relax your mind. I have 2 years of experience. Is there anything you would like to know?

Katherine

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
248%
Mar 11, 2019
Singapore
I find myself saying these kinds of things often:

You can do it.
Keep trying.
You can figure it out.
Talk to your brother/sister and figure it out together.

They also have chores. No reward, no allowance, they are expected to do their chores because we all have duties and responsibilities.

And I ask them often, "What do you think?" Whether it's about what we're going to do today, or what to eat, or what just read together, or how to accomplish something, I solicit their opinion often. Not always, they still know Dad's the boss, but I want to encourage them to think for themselves. If they don't have an opinion, I encourage them to think it over.

I also encourage a lot of reading, which helps show them what is possible.

Thanks @BizyDad for sharing!

I find myself projecting the positive beliefs and mindset to my kids (because I want them to be better or ready to fight against any self doubts and negative situation when arises )....

Which brings to my next point .... (ironically) and at the same time struggling on my own and to my dismay accidentally projecting those struggles on them time to time. Wonder these make sense to some of you.

Going to be pretty vulnerable here... so here are some beliefs
- I am not that good / fantastic ... (fake humility)
- Poor money management
- I should be always on guard and be on hard on myself ... because taking it easy means I will fall off the wagon and lose everything.
- I am slow.... not fast enough...
- People are not willingly to spend $ .... hence closing sales is difficult
- Terrible mother .... terrible parenting
- I want to do more but i can't because the kids are taking up my time ... I felt incapable ...
- My clients are the old school kind, they are not open! (so ironic....)

I think i can go on forever .... oh dear :/

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
I'll let others speak more to your mindset stuff. For me, I'd just say don't be too hard on yourself. None of these things are as bad, or as insurmountable, as they seem. Some are probably flat out false.

If anyone is interested in the kid talk, there's this recent thread (so we don't hijack this one): OFF-TOPIC - How to instill hard-working values in my kids

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
When I started, and even now, I still struggle with these limiting beliefs. Back about 90% of my income comes from abroad and 10% local. Now, it's a reverse 90% local, 10% abroad. I just keep managing them and moving on.

Finding better deals in my local country is difficult.
Getting local people to pay for deals is slow and slow.. and this slows up operation.
Looks like I sell lower than most of my competitors in the US/UK.
Other people are finding better deals because they live in better markets.

All beliefs are true (to you).

There's really only 3 things that hold people back in business:

1.) The emotional state that they're in (unresourceful, sad, frustrated, upset, angry, depressed -- these all generate poor decisions and become cyclical).

2.) The strategy they're using (the specific actions they are doing to achieve the goal)

3.) The story they're telling themselves (these beliefs you just referenced)

I'm curious, why did you switch to local if abroad was working so well? Why not start your agency and do more work abroad?

How many people have you spoke to in order to develop the belief "local people are slow"?

When you say better deals, are you just talking about money? Or are the clients less demanding? Easier to sell? What is it?

My first target is to dominate my local market... and become a local champion...create more jobs for lots of young people here and then scale to Nigeria and South Africa. Yet, I still had to deal with these limiting beliefs if I want to get there.

I had spent this weekend reading MJ's Millionaire Fastlane to also get some help there as well. Please, can you offer some help to deal with these silly limiting beliefs?

Great goal!

You no longer have to limit yourself to Africa, though.

Your income will only be capped by your creativity.

I would question your goal simply because it's not very concrete. What does it mean to be a local champion? Does it mean you have to employ the whole country? Does that mean 5 people? Does that mean everyone has to chant your name in the streets?

The reason I would question the goal is going back to your original statement about how you were making good money with U.S. clients and then decided to stop doing that and start doing something else (don't worry, MOST business owners make this mistake -- me, too).

When you find something that's working, double down on that!

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
It isn't that easy to change the beliefs even with consciousness and certitude that it's not helping you. It needs discipline and repetition every damn day until it change. Cause even if you think you're believing in something new emotion aren't there. And the subconscious keep working with the old one's. The better and the fastest way is to start by meditation learn to calm and relax your mind and reading some books that helps like (limitless Jim kwik ) the miracle morning hal Elrod .napoleon hill ( law of success , think and grow rich ...etc) and than having and everyday plan. And by time you'll feel your beliefs changing, and by time you become a new version of your self that make you get more health wealth love and happiness....
And this will be your new lifestyle reading books doing meditation and affirmations visualising and then working smarter and having more energy and money to invest in your dreams that nourish your beliefs your purpose your life it's not that hard if you get the real attention to do it for a lifetime it will be hard just like the first week and the end of the week you'll start feeling better and you feel it really inside you that's enough to push you trought .
Sorry if I did some mistakes in language I'm just becoming bilingual for like months. I'm from Algeria and the second language in my country is French so I'm still developing my English skill.
Wish you'll health wealth love and happiness

Here's a philosophical question for you: what if it were easy to change beliefs?

All change happens in a moment.

Most people say it takes forever to change. Not true. It took forever for someone to get to the point where it was a must for them.

For a belief to change, you must first believe:

1.) It MUST change NOW
2.) I CAN change it NOW
3.) I MUST change it NOW

A little more detail:

1.) I am going to receive massive and immediate pain if it I don't change right now, and massive immediate pleasure if I change right now.

2.) I (not someone else will change it for me) am the one who can (it's possible to change) change it now (not sometime in the future).

3.) I (me) MUST (pain/pleasure) change it NOW (immediately)

If you get all three of those, your belief changes in one second. It doesn't take 27 years sitting on a couch talking to some professional about your mother and your father.

It doesn't take meditating and thinking about it.

In fact, I would say do NOT sit down and think about it because you will put yourself in a physiologically down state where you'll be less resourceful, less focused, less positive. STAND UP. MOVE.

You can't think your way out of something you acted yourself into.

GOLD.

How can we be proactive as possible with belief change?
Are there any practices you would recommend?

When you catch yourself saying something that you know is bullshit -- call yourself out BEFORE you stack on the references.

"See that's why nobody loves me" -- wait. Stop. Bullshit.

"Always, Never, Everybody, and Nobody" are always followed by complete and utter bullshit.

All beliefs are held up by references.

"I'm sexy because when I was 16 and stopped at a stop light some pretty girls turned and smiled at me"

Probably were looking at me stuffing my face and laughing -- but because I created the meaning in my head that I'm sexy, that's what I stick with.

But if you find yourself going down that rabbit hole in a negative way, make your move, change your physiology, and tell the truth :)

As he said, the fastest way is to start by meditation learn to calm and relax your mind. I have 2 years of experience. Is there anything you would like to know?

Nah.

There's a lot of benefit to meditation and relaxing your mind.

Milton Erickson was the greatest hypnotherapist of all time... but I have a hard time re-producing his results.

I'd just say don't be too hard on yourself. None of these things are as bad, or as insurmountable, as they seem. Some are probably flat out false.

Probably the best statement in this entire thread!

Wil22

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jun 8, 2020
Philadelphia,Pa
I've never met a drug dealer making more than 60k/year.

60k WAS a lot of money in my neighborhood... but it was silly.

There's a silly quote from "Get rich or die trying" with 50 cent where he realized while selling crack on the corner all day every day he was making less than minimum wage based on the amount of hours he was out there. Not to mention the risk.
Funny when you actually do the math, income, expenses, profit and unrealized mental stress, 60k is nothing. But in a small community, millions.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Yeah I definitely don't have those limiting beliefs. I believe I had, but several books this year changed my perspective.

Maybe I should've said "the only 3 categories of beliefs" ... but that wouldn't be accurate either because technically there are 7 types...

Global Beliefs -- "People are... men are.. women are... relationships are... money is... time is..."

Identity Beliefs -- Who are you? Who are you not? Who are your role models? How are you like them? How are you not like them?

Value -- What's important to you about business? What about health? relationship? What's something you'd do anything to get in life? What's something you'd do anything to avoid in life?

Rules -- Must, must not, must never, must always, should, should not, should always, should never, can, cannot, can never, will, will not, will never, will always, is, is not

Vehicles -- How do you meet certainty/security, variety/adventure, significance/importance, love/connection

Situation Specific -- "cheating on my significant other is wrong ... unless..." or "I would never lie... but sometimes you have to tell a little white lie..." or "I would never kill someone unless"

Metaprograms -- VAKOG

ExaltedLife

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 10, 2015
”Learned Optimism” is one of my favorites. I hope it helps.
I've read it, and that's why I mentioned it, because this post comes right out of its pages

Katherine

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
248%
Mar 11, 2019
Singapore

CaptainAmerica

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Dec 27, 2015
Phoenix OR
Great stuff!

I used to have all kinds of nonsense pushing me around, from 'rich people are bad' to 'I don't deserve anything good'. Foolishness.

What changed was a big 2x4 of reality hitting me upside the head:

- people get rich all the time in ways that have nothing to do with their personality (the nice but dumb kid from high school made bank in real estate)
- money isn't always a result of effort (one of my good friends happened to marry into a shoe empire)
- I have a chronic condition, so my good days have to be fulfilling to make up for my bad days
- if I ruminate on my condition, I'll have more bad days

My beliefs about these things used to be counter to reality. I've gotten much better at seeing the thing itself is what counts, not what I believe to be true about it.

Think Expand

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Oct 30, 2019
All beliefs are true (to you).

There's really only 3 things that hold people back in business:

1.) The emotional state that they're in (unresourceful, sad, frustrated, upset, angry, depressed -- these all generate poor decisions and become cyclical).

2.) The strategy they're using (the specific actions they are doing to achieve the goal)

3.) The story they're telling themselves (these beliefs you just referenced)

I'm curious, why did you switch to local if abroad was working so well? Why not start your agency and do more work abroad?

How many people have you spoke to in order to develop the belief "local people are slow"?

When you say better deals, are you just talking about money? Or are the clients less demanding? Easier to sell? What is it?

Great goal!

You no longer have to limit yourself to Africa, though.

Your income will only be capped by your creativity.

I would question your goal simply because it's not very concrete. What does it mean to be a local champion? Does it mean you have to employ the whole country? Does that mean 5 people? Does that mean everyone has to chant your name in the streets?

The reason I would question the goal is going back to your original statement about how you were making good money with U.S. clients and then decided to stop doing that and start doing something else (don't worry, MOST business owners make this mistake -- me, too).

When you find something that's working, double down on that!
@Kung Fu Steve Thanks for the advice.

I made a couple of big mistakes while freelancing with SEO Agencies in the USA. More than 70% of my income and in some cases 90% was coming from one single client. As in MJ's book, I had no control. I've worked with them for several months... and when something came up.. they just shoved the deal and cancel the contract.

So, I learn my first lesson: Do not let more than 50% of your sales/income come from a single client. This was very painful... because it made lose a big chunk of my monthly cash flow at the time.

Well, when C0VlD-19 came, most of the agencies I worked within the UK run out of business and some never came back. Their clients cancelled their contracts with them and they also did with us... and even some still owe for services provided.

While I was finding a way through this, I realized the demand for e-commerce and digital marketing services was rising in my own local country. Many companies were setting up websites and creating social media pages to get their businesses online... something that most of them didn't care about before C0VlD-19 came in.

Seeing the rising digital trend in my local country, I thought to swim with the wave and position myself to be the best in the country and then swallow all those deals. That enabled me to start getting local deals and serving more local companies in my country.

Nonetheless, I noticed most of the small business owners had cash flow problems, as we started having account receivable problems... and that is why I was saying the payments are slow.

I have read, studied and analyzed your message.. and have just created packages that I can sell faster... not only to my local people and other African countries..but possibly other companies abroad. I have also adjusted my beliefs and re-strategized to get better results, faster payments and get more orders from local and international companies.

Thanks again for your feedback.

evergreen_scene

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Dec 5, 2016
This is a very good post, the best I've read from you on the forum yet. I think it deserves GOLD, so congrats.

However, I don't agree 100% with your point of view.

I'm much closer to @Paul David for example.

Yes, MINDSET is very important, I would put it in the top 3 success factors.

However, the importance of MINDSET tends to get exaggerated in this community, to the detriment of other important factors.

Let me give you my example.

I've scaled to mid 6 figures with my agency.

I also sell a course, which I view as a different business, although I use my agency to market it. The course has done close to 20K by now, since I first put it out a little over 1 year ago. However, all-in-all, time invested, money spent on advertising, etc. it's still in the red.

Now, I have two paths to million+.

One is with my agency. I have 3 clients I'm working with who have the potential to scale to 10M+. One of them is already at 1M+, one is 6-figures, and the other has a REALLY strong business that we managed to get from 0 to 20K in one month so far. If any one of them gets to 50M for example, I will have my million. Nothing to do with mindset, and everything to do with KNOWLEDGE and TIME. As much as I want to INSTANTLY do it, this is not possible. It requires launching new products, expanding the product range, building the sales channels, extensive testing etc. This requires time.

Now look at my course. There are people selling alternative courses in the make money niche who are making 3-20M/year. Why am I not a millionaire with my course yet? I can tell you for sure that the KNOWLEDGE inside the course is quite possibly the best on the planet in its category. I have a BURNING DESIRE to scale it. So why am I not a millionaire with it, and have just made 20K so far?

I think two reasons... The first is that my course does not yet have mass-appeal... These days people don't want to learn and work anymore. They just want the result. Instant gratification. Done-for-you. I have to convert my course into that, which is what I'm doing for the third update.

The second reason is that I don't have my own funnel prepared to the right standards, because I've simply been struggling to find the time to do it, between managing the agency and client work, and this project. So I know what I need to do, I know what others are doing to hit those numbers, all I really need to do is see what they're doing right and test until I hit my own sweet spot. I am doing this, but again, it takes time. As much as I'd LOVE to have it instantly done, it's not possible. Very often I get frustrated, but remind myself that there is no other way except step by step.

Weak entrepreneurs would say "Pff, a course! Everyone has that, you need to do something different" -> which is bullshit. If people are making millions out of X, you can too.

Of course I am 100% sure that I still have limiting beliefs, I'm pretty sure we all do. But I don't feel HELPLESS, I don't feel WORTHLESS, and I don't feel HOPELESS. I have a very clear plan, it's just a matter of time.

So both TIME and KNOWLEDGE are very important factors along with MINDSET.

What I see in the forums is a lot of people focused on MINDSET, I'm going to do this bla bla bla, but they never do anything, and in many cases NOT because of mindset, but because they lack KNOWLEDGE. They simply do NOT take the time required to get the KNOWLEDGE that they need.... which requires a LOT of time and effort. Most people don't want to put in the work... there's NOTHING more to it than that. They want the success, but not the work. They want to succeed while remaining dumbasses who can't even tell right from left...

If you gain the knowledge, let me tell you - it's only a matter of time before you'll succeed and before your mindset will improve and everything. Of course, when you lack knowledge, you have a POOR MINDSET - and factually so, you know that you don't know what leads to success in business. So how could you possibly feel confident, at least in a rational way?

I've been learning for YEARS to be able to do what I'm doing today, and I've pretty much been doing it full-time. People simply do not spend the TIME necessary for success. They want instant. Instant gratification. Now. Just change your mindset. Wohooo! Instant result! Wow...

Now to complete the circle... one of my own limiting beliefs from the past:

I thought I couldn't succeed in business without first working for someone else, but I did.

The belief was put into my head by my parents, but I made the DECISION never to work for anyone, and I didn't. I didn't start by believing this was possible... I just didn't have an alternative, and I had to do it. So I did it, all the while being very scared and not knowing what I'm doing, but I devoted my entire energy, 100%, to succeeding. So as my success grew, my belief started to fade away, and be replaced by a certain inner confidence. But it was a gradual thing... which happened as I became more successful, not the other way around. My stubbornness and arrogance helped - without them, I would never have managed to get to where I am today, because I would have probably given up.
This is a very good copywriting ad :)

KNAWLEDGE

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
It's amazing what happens to limiting beliefs once you identify them and acknowledge they exist.

For the last 18 months we've struggled with operational issues. I've told myself "I'm a visionary type, I'm not a details guy. We'll continue to struggle with this, until I hire that person".

And then last week, I realized that was bullshit, that I'm actually great with details and systems and improving processes. I actually don't know where any of that came from. It was a belief that got ingrained and I didn't even realize it. And I simply lived up to that belief.

Everything we need to build a great company we have right now in our team of 6. I don't need to hire a rockstar COO or something to come and fix all our problems. We can fix it together.

And the vibe of the company has completely changed in a matter of days as a result. My people are on fire right now.

Think Expand

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Oct 30, 2019
@Kung Fu Steve Looks like I am getting to understand your thread and message each day. I've decided to simplify your teaching in this way to help me process things easier:

Your beliefs determine your mindset.
Your mindset determines your attitude.
Your attitude determines your altitude in life.

So, we are all where we are because of our belief system. Wrong beliefs can hold you captive for many years... unless you identify and change them.

Also, I found that the best way to identify and change these beliefs is through reading and studying from those who have gone ahead of you. Reading, studying, meditating and practising lessons learnt from books---is what I have found to be the best.

Learning from mentors who have achieved what you want to achieve. Studying their beliefs, thinking and mindset system and making changes in yours to match theirs.

I just realized that once the changes in beliefs are made, it will alter the mindset which will alter the attitude and definitely alter the destination.

In Millionaire Fastlane , MJ said, "Acquisition and application of knowledge will make you rich!"

Obviously, knowledge plays an essential role in reaching the right destination. But that happens in the attitude stage after the right beliefs and mindsets have been formed to condition a person to acquire and apply the knowledge obtained.

While knowledge is important, most people fail to APPLY because they have the wrong belief system and mindset which has corroded their aptitude to APPLY the knowledge acquired. Therefore, I'd like to add to your thread:

Wrong beliefs = wrong mindset = wrong attitudes = wrong destination.
Right beliefs = right mindset = right attitudes = right destination.

Again, thanks for creating this thread.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
@Kung Fu Steve Looks like I am getting to understand your thread and message each day. I've decided to simplify your teaching in this way to help me process things easier:

Your beliefs determine your mindset.
Your mindset determines your attitude.
Your attitude determines your altitude in life.

So, we are all where we are because of our belief system. Wrong beliefs can hold you captive for many years... unless you identify and change them.

Also, I found that the best way to identify and change these beliefs is through reading and studying from those who have gone ahead of you. Reading, studying, meditating and practising lessons learnt from books---is what I have found to be the best.

Learning from mentors who have achieved what you want to achieve. Studying their beliefs, thinking and mindset system and making changes in yours to match theirs.

I just realized that once the changes in beliefs are made, it will alter the mindset which will alter the attitude and definitely alter the destination.

In Millionaire Fastlane , MJ said, "Acquisition and application of knowledge will make you rich!"

Obviously, knowledge plays an essential role in reaching the right destination. But that happens in the attitude stage after the right beliefs and mindsets have been formed to condition a person to acquire and apply the knowledge obtained.

While knowledge is important, most people fail to APPLY because they have the wrong belief system and mindset which has corroded their aptitude to APPLY the knowledge acquired. Therefore, I'd like to add to your thread:

Wrong beliefs = wrong mindset = wrong attitudes = wrong destination.
Right beliefs = right mindset = right attitudes = right destination.

Again, thanks for creating this thread.

Spot on!

It's interesting to see people's beliefs surrounding... beliefs...

Have them, don't have them, mine are good, mine are bad, mine help, mine are true -- I mean if you didn't believe your beliefs, they wouldn't be your beliefs!

But ask anyone why they don't have what they want already and they'll give you all sorts of "excuses" but behind every excuse is a belief. It's just so fascinating to me.

D

Deleted68316

So, it's going to be a bit meta, but here is one belief I'd like to be challenged:
I believe that beliefs (no matter justified or erroneous) are imprinted on you either by experience or your environment. Which means I'm not sure people can truly change their beliefs just by reading a statement contrary to a belief they currently hold.
I like this meta belief. It makes me smile.

Recently, instead of going against my beliefs, I am trying to give them a direction.

I have the same meta belief: "I believe I can change my beliefs, but deep down, everything is imprinted already. So, I actually cannot change them."

I would say something like this to myself in order to give this belief a direction (trying now for myself since I need it): "yes, it is probably true that beliefs are imprinted and cannot be changed. But, at the same time, it may also not be true."

I think the statement above cannot be questioned. While I think that beliefs cannot be changed, at the same time, I have to admit that it is possible to change them.

D

Deleted68316

Spot on!

It's interesting to see people's beliefs surrounding... beliefs...

Have them, don't have them, mine are good, mine are bad, mine help, mine are true -- I mean if you didn't believe your beliefs, they wouldn't be your beliefs!

But ask anyone why they don't have what they want already and they'll give you all sorts of "excuses" but behind every excuse is a belief. It's just so fascinating to me.
wow

sonny_1080

Creating a tool I want to use.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles
Twice per day, I scroll through the forum. Occasionally I recognize patterns of thinking or behavior and I go through a little internal struggle: "do I respond to this question with a heartfelt response" or "should I just keep scrolling" -- I'll admit, I've been scrolling a lot more than responding lately so I figured I'd take a minute to give some unsolicited advice.

Your current results are a direct reflection of your belief systems.

That means the amount of money you have in your bank account today is not due to covid, the election, California burning, or how you were treated as a child... it is a culmination of your beliefs around money that you've held for the last 6 days, 6 weeks, 6 months, 6 years...

Beliefs like "should I save my money or spend it", "should I invest or not", "should I go all in on my business or do it part time", or "is this really even going to work?"

The "Covid 19" weight that people have gained wasn't because of the pandemic. It was because of your beliefs around exercising and eating healthy "should I work out or skip it", "what's healthy or unhealthy"

Relationships, too. "Should I be in one or not", "what should I accept in this relationship and what shouldn't I accept in this relationship"

If you aren't happy with your current results, here's my suggestion:

Identify and change your limiting beliefs.

Luckily, there's really only 3 types of limiting beliefs; hopeless, helpless, and worthless.

Hopeless Beliefs are the ones where somebody says "Just shut up, Steve. Nobody can make money in this economy. Nobody can build a business in this situation.
Relationships never last anyways.
My genetics won't allow me to get in shape.
This is bullshit, it can't be done!"

Helpless Beliefs are when someone says, "Easy for you to say. MJ can do it because he had a better idea.
They have more money than me.
They have more time than me.
They have less kids than me.
They have more hair than me.
That's why THEY can do it and I can't!"

Worthless Beliefs are where someone says, "Fine, fine. You're right. Everybody can make money. Everyone can have a long-lasting loving relationship. Everyone can have a great body... but if I'm being honest with you, man... I just don't think I deserve it. I don't think I'm worth it. I don't think if I made that money, I'd be able to keep it. I don't think if I got into that relationship, I could ever make them stay."

Can you see how devastating this psychology and these beliefs could be to someone's life and business?

For those of you who are here asking the questions over and over again like "should I go or stay", "should I invest or not", "should I start this business or put it off" -- my question for you is which one of these beliefs are really holding you back? ...And are they really true?

While I often spend hours helping people shift their beliefs, I can tell you exactly how to do it in very few words:

A belief is simply a feeling of absolute certainty you have about something.

If you didn't have certainty about that belief... you wouldn't believe it! You just feel like it's true. (And man it really does FEEL real, doesn't it?)

To change a limiting belief, simply start by figuring out what the belief is, then create doubt in it. Ask the question "is this belief really true?" and "are there examples of someone in my situation that made it work anyways?" or "have I even succeeded at this in the past and maybe I'm just overthinking it, now?"

I'm more than willing to help but I think it would be even more valuable for you and the whole forum -- if you're up for it -- to post an old belief you held in the past... and then what changed it for you? How do you see it now?

As an example... growing up, I truly believed money was scarce and extremely hard to come by. The first real shift in that mindset was coming here on the forum and meeting really successful people who started with nothing. When they spoke about how easy it was to make money, it really created doubt in that belief. "Maybe it ISN'T so tough... I'm just making it a bigger deal than it really is..."

Today when I look at how much money is in the system (especially here in the U.S. with another 2 TRILLION dollars floating around), I can't help but think "wow, it really is everywhere and people have no problem spending it!"

What is it for you? What shifted? What changed?
An old belief I held in the past was that I'd never be "one of those computer guys that work from home" - COVID happened, I learned a thing or two about websites and internet ads, found something to sell, got in front of business owners, sold it - and voila!

I'm one of those computer guys that work from home.

How do I see it now?

After doing that for 5 months, I see that it's possible. Not that difficult either. In fact, looking back on it, the hardest part was getting over the idea of having to be an expert before I got into the marketplace. Just getting into the marketplace before I was ready was what changed everything. The problem with that, is I got clients and then lost them. Now I'm in a position to come up with a better way to offer more value.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
An old belief I held in the past was that I'd never be "one of those computer guys that work from home" - COVID happened, I learned a thing or two about websites and internet ads, found something to sell, got in front of business owners, sold it - and voila!

Beliefs are like a flight-plan for life ...

...if you want to change where your flight plan is taking you, change your beliefs.

You did, and ended up somewhere new.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
the hardest part was getting over the idea of having to be an expert before I got into the marketplace
It’s sad how we’re conditioned to believe we can’t help people unless we’ve spent money and time on a course and been certified as an expert.

JorgeInmortal

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Nov 17, 2020
Twice per day, I scroll through the forum. Occasionally I recognize patterns of thinking or behavior and I go through a little internal struggle: "do I respond to this question with a heartfelt response" or "should I just keep scrolling" -- I'll admit, I've been scrolling a lot more than responding lately so I figured I'd take a minute to give some unsolicited advice.

That means the amount of money you have in your bank account today is not due to covid, the election, California burning, or how you were treated as a child... it is a culmination of your beliefs around money that you've held for the last 6 days, 6 weeks, 6 months, 6 years...

Beliefs like "should I save my money or spend it", "should I invest or not", "should I go all in on my business or do it part time", or "is this really even going to work?"

The "Covid 19" weight that people have gained wasn't because of the pandemic. It was because of your beliefs around exercising and eating healthy "should I work out or skip it", "what's healthy or unhealthy"

Relationships, too. "Should I be in one or not", "what should I accept in this relationship and what shouldn't I accept in this relationship"

Luckily, there's really only 3 types of limiting beliefs; hopeless, helpless, and worthless.

Hopeless Beliefs are the ones where somebody says "Just shut up, Steve. Nobody can make money in this economy. Nobody can build a business in this situation.

Helpless Beliefs are when someone says, "Easy for you to say. MJ can do it because he had a better idea.

Worthless Beliefs are where someone says, "Fine, fine. You're right. Everybody can make money. Everyone can have a long-lasting loving relationship. Everyone can have a great body... but if I'm being honest with you, man... I just don't think I deserve it. I don't think I'm worth it. I don't think if I made that money, I'd be able to keep it. I don't think if I got into that relationship, I could ever make them stay."

Can you see how devastating this psychology and these beliefs could be to someone's life and business?

For those of you who are here asking the questions over and over again like "should I go or stay", "should I invest or not", "should I start this business or put it off" -- my question for you is which one of these beliefs are really holding you back? ...And are they really true?

While I often spend hours helping people shift their beliefs, I can tell you exactly how to do it in very few words:

If you didn't have certainty about that belief... you wouldn't believe it! You just feel like it's true. (And man it really does FEEL real, doesn't it?)

To change a limiting belief, simply start by figuring out what the belief is, then create doubt in it. Ask the question "is this belief really true?" and "are there examples of someone in my situation that made it work anyways?" or "have I even succeeded at this in the past and maybe I'm just overthinking it, now?"

I'm more than willing to help but I think it would be even more valuable for you and the whole forum -- if you're up for it -- to post an old belief you held in the past... and then what changed it for you? How do you see it now?

As an example... growing up, I truly believed money was scarce and extremely hard to come by. The first real shift in that mindset was coming here on the forum and meeting really successful people who started with nothing. When they spoke about how easy it was to make money, it really created doubt in that belief. "Maybe it ISN'T so tough... I'm just making it a bigger deal than it really is..."

Today when I look at how much money is in the system (especially here in the U.S. with another 2 TRILLION dollars floating around), I can't help but think "wow, it really is everywhere and people have no problem spending it!"

100% truth. For the longest time I sat on the idea that "to make a lot of money you have to cheat people and be corrupt" and that held me back from so many opportunities and led me to thinking small. Not only that, I would just do absolutely NOTHING and never take action. I had to really dig deep in my beliefs system and met some very financially successful people who were great, honest and willing to teach me and be generous with their time. I have also met many poor broke a$$ people who are very negative in their mindset, 99% live like victims and bitch about life all the time. The successful people I met had one thing in common. They all are very intentional about whatever they are successful at. They don't expect things to work out on their own, they find a way to make things work out. Their mindset is so different, therefore, their results show that difference.
We are what we think.
Awesome post.

afrankmore

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Nov 5, 2020
Central California

This post just blew my mind!!!! I just learned what is and has been holding me back. Although, i feel like I am making progress in certain aspects of my life, I have a little voice in my head and that voice is a worthless belief... I need and want to change that, I understand that it can start just by changing how I think but this is hard. I didnt grow up being told I was worthless, but I grew up with zero direction. At one point in my life I thought that my life was going to be completely absorbed in substance abuse. I started at 12 and at 27 I changed my life but I still have that worthless feeling. Like I dont deserve it! If I am successful, am I just going to blow it?

I have been very proactive in my finances and have really changed that around in my life. I was truly a consumer of everything!!! Now, I save, invest, and watch what i spend, how I spend. Anyways, I want to wrap this up, thank you for this post because I now know what is holding me back, and I want to learn to overcome that.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
100% truth. For the longest time I sat on the idea that "to make a lot of money you have to cheat people and be corrupt" and that held me back from so many opportunities and led me to thinking small. Not only that, I would just do absolutely NOTHING and never take action. I had to really dig deep in my beliefs system and met some very financially successful people who were great, honest and willing to teach me and be generous with their time. I have also met many poor broke a$$ people who are very negative in their mindset, 99% live like victims and bitch about life all the time. The successful people I met had one thing in common. They all are very intentional about whatever they are successful at. They don't expect things to work out on their own, they find a way to make things work out. Their mindset is so different, therefore, their results show that difference.
We are what we think.
Awesome post.

Such a good distinction

This post just blew my mind!!!! I just learned what is and has been holding me back. Although, i feel like I am making progress in certain aspects of my life, I have a little voice in my head and that voice is a worthless belief... I need and want to change that, I understand that it can start just by changing how I think but this is hard. I didnt grow up being told I was worthless, but I grew up with zero direction. At one point in my life I thought that my life was going to be completely absorbed in substance abuse. I started at 12 and at 27 I changed my life but I still have that worthless feeling. Like I dont deserve it! If I am successful, am I just going to blow it?

I have been very proactive in my finances and have really changed that around in my life. I was truly a consumer of everything!!! Now, I save, invest, and watch what i spend, how I spend. Anyways, I want to wrap this up, thank you for this post because I now know what is holding me back, and I want to learn to overcome that.

Your biography doesn't have to be your destiny.

Well done turning things around!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.