The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Should I Continue YouTube?

JaaYu

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jul 30, 2022
Prior to reading TMF and Great Rat Race Escape , I started a YouTube channel as a sort of "business" which I enjoyed since many people I look up to advised me to. I have already spent a lot of time on this "business" like video editing, a Skillshare course, photoshop, and speaking to the camera.

After reading TMF and the Great Rat Race Escape , I was thinking of continuing YouTube by solely documenting my journey instead of completely focusing on YouTube as my business (since it violated the Commandment of Control).

However, I see myself spending a lot of time on the entire process of creating a video (5-7 hours per video). I enjoy making videos, and want to help/inspire other people that it is possible to "get rich quick" by documenting my journey, but I don't know if I should be trying to juggle my business, school, and a YouTube channel (I'm still in High School, not College).

I've been thinking of focusing on YouTube as a passion after I get freedom, but I want to document the journey for me to look back on and show that it's possible to others.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BigRomeDawg

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jan 22, 2014
Canada/USA
Prior to reading TMF and Great Rat Race Escape , I started a YouTube channel as a sort of "business" which I enjoyed since many people I look up to advised me to. I have already spent a lot of time on this "business" like video editing, a Skillshare course, photoshop, and speaking to the camera.

After reading TMF and the Great Rat Race Escape , I was thinking of continuing YouTube by solely documenting my journey instead of completely focusing on YouTube as my business (since it violated the Commandment of Control).

However, I see myself spending a lot of time on the entire process of creating a video (5-7 hours per video). I enjoy making videos, and want to help/inspire other people that it is possible to "get rich quick" by documenting my journey, but I don't know if I should be trying to juggle my business, school, and a YouTube channel (I'm still in High School, not College).

I've been thinking of focusing on YouTube as a passion after I get freedom, but I want to document the journey for me to look back on and show that it's possible to others.

What are your goals and how does YouTube fit the equation?

perchboy

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Aug 7, 2022
Toronto, Canada
i would just stick to lower quality vids right now because they arent as time consuming. plus, no one will give a shit about your youtube channel until you actually get rich so theres no point in spending hours creating thumbnails now. youre better off just putting that extra time into business so then you can get even more views on youtube in the future since you will be rich

JaaYu

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jul 30, 2022
What are your goals and how does YouTube fit the equation?
I ultimately want Freedom to work on whatever I enjoy (like YouTube or starting businesses) while living a luxury lifestyle. My second, lesser goal is to be an influencer (fame), and I feel like documenting my journey will help me achieve this.

I do feel like a large part of me is reluctant in quitting because I have already spent so much time learning YouTube, and I feel like it'll be a waste to just quit right now. I might be able to juggle YouTube, a Business, and School if I decide to only document my journey.

JaaYu

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jul 30, 2022
i would just stick to lower quality vids right now because they arent as time consuming. plus, no one will give a shit about your youtube channel until you actually get rich so theres no point in spending hours creating thumbnails now. youre better off just putting that extra time into business so then you can get even more views on youtube in the future since you will be rich
Yeah I'm thinking of just only uploading like once a week just documenting my journey only.

Edgar King

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 29, 2021
I think whatever you do Alex, you can ask yourself, "What problem am I solving?" and, "How am I doing so in a better way than what's already out there?" You can do this with Youtube too, as shown really well by @Valier.

He started a thriving youtube channel and he documented all about his progress too-

JaaYu

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jul 30, 2022
I think whatever you do Alex, you can ask yourself, "What problem am I solving?" and, "How am I doing so in a better way than what's already out there?" You can do this with Youtube too, as shown really well by @Valier.

He started a thriving youtube channel and he documented all about his progress too-
I remember watching a video of his before on gurus, it's CRAZY to see him on this forum. I think I'm just going to document my journey for now and spend most of my time on my web design business, Thanks Everyone!

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Should you continue YouTube?

Hell yeah.

I must be the only parent in my county who's trying to discourage his kids from going to college to be a doctor or lawyer and is trying to get them to post videos up on YouTube.

Don't just do YouTube though, and spend less time per video. Get it down to one video in one hour, and see if you can post daily. Get the reps in, get better quicker, and get data quicker about what pops and what doesn't.

You know YouTube shorts are doing very well at the moment? They're trying to compete with TikTok, as are Instagram reels. Even LinkedIn is pushing short vertical videos now.

Even I've started watching YouTube on our TV in the evening. Funny how YouTube comes as a standard installed app on smart TVs now. I wonder why that is?

2dads

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
May 27, 2021
BRISBANE, Australia
Funny how I ready Andy's response it is identical to a conversation I had with a collage who's son wanted to do it.

He has retired this channel, focusing on uni but made a lot of money $$$

I was with his father at a work conference who was the learning development manager for the company . Top bloke and no bull shit (just like Andy) he spoke about when his son approached him about taking a shot at been a content creator.

He told his son if he was serious, he as a content creator would need to be consistent, genuine and structured.

The son took the advice and published 3 video's a week in a category which now is full of copy cats, he was early to the Reddit reading and video show (my opinion) but set himself up as an early adopter (right place, right time) & (tried a few different styles, but did not change his target audience - young teens - young adult males / gamers etc)

I think Andys advice is spot on - my own 2 cents is not strive for perfect, some times when you do this you will never produce. and it will not happen overnight, but when it does pick up - it could go BIG & FAST!

BEST OF LUCK

His details before he finished up:

UPLOADS
SUBSCRIBERS
1.1M
VIDEO VIEWS
COUNTRY
AU
CHANNEL TYPE
Comedy
USER CREATED
Dec 4th, 2015

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

TheJon

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Aug 7, 2022
Philadelphia PA - USA
I think you could switch to shorter format - Youtube shorts, tiktoc, they are better right now anyway and take a lot less effort. I watch a guy building a container house air B&B on Instagram reals every day and find it fascinating and it's been interesting to watch him turn it into a funnel various ways like selling his plans, selling his advice, making an inner circle like mentor group

JaaYu

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jul 30, 2022
Should you continue YouTube?

Hell yeah.

I must be the only parent in my county who's trying to discourage his kids from going to college to be a doctor or lawyer and is trying to get them to post videos up on YouTube.

Don't just do YouTube though, and spend less time per video. Get it down to one video in one hour, and see if you can post daily. Get the reps in, get better quicker, and get data quicker about what pops and what doesn't.

You know YouTube shorts are doing very well at the moment? They're trying to compete with TikTok, as are Instagram reels. Even LinkedIn is pushing short vertical videos now.

Even I've started watching YouTube on our TV in the evening. Funny how YouTube comes as a standard installed app on smart TVs now. I wonder why that is?
Thank You, I'll definitely get better at the time in making a video. I'm getting better and better at editing every video.

I posted 3 shorts, and they have a total of 3k views on a relatively new account, so I definitely agree with the power of YouTube shorts!

JaaYu

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jul 30, 2022

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.