The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Should I Continue with Web Design or Learn how to make AI

DCG

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 15, 2022
I've been looking into AI and chat GPT recently and It's crazy, I know that I can still make money with Web Design but I'm not sure if I can leverage that skill because of AI. I could maybe use AI to get more done, would have to figure it out though. I'm still committed to web design but I feel like that AI has more potential. I know that I can't just move on to the next shiny thing because I won't be consistant and I won't get better at that one thing. I also feel like that Making websites for people for a source of income and capital is easier because I know more about it and I'm already committed to it. If anyone has advice I would really appreciate it

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I've been looking into AI and chat GPT recently and It's crazy, I know that I can still make money with Web Design but I'm not sure if I can leverage that skill because of AI. I could maybe use AI to get more done, would have to figure it out though. I'm still committed to web design but I feel like that AI has more potential. I know that I can't just move on to the next shiny thing because I won't be consistant and I won't get better at that one thing. I also feel like that Making websites for people for a source of income and capital is easier because I know more about it and I'm already committed to it. If anyone has advice I would really appreciate it
Use the AI to help you make the websites?

For instance, getting copy from clients can be hard. They're not copywriters and creating content from scratch is often hard for them. Maybe use AI (such as ChatGPT, copy.ai, or jasper.ai) to help create initial/placeholder copy. Once the client sees the copy they'll often be able to correct it for you.

This could speed up your process AND make you more valuable.

PS: I wouldn't recommend "learning how to make AI" ... I'd recommend using AI to become more efficient and more effective.

DCG

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 15, 2022
Use the AI to help you make the websites?

For instance, getting copy from clients can be hard. They're not copywriters and creating content from scratch is often hard for them. Maybe use AI (such as ChatGPT, copy.ai, and jasper.ai) to help create initial/placeholder copy. Once the client sees the copy they'll often be able to correct it for you.

This could speed up your process AND make you more valuable.

PS: I wouldn't recommend "learning how to make AI" ... I'd recommend using AI to become more efficient and more effective.
Thx alot I appreciate it

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
553%
Apr 17, 2022
Learn how to make AI?

The company that created ChatGPT has over a hundred employees (150 IQ geniuses with a PhD) and has received $2bn in investments. Not exactly the kind of project that you can start from your mom's basement - unless you are Nikola Tesla.

Most of us will end up using AI powered software to improve our workflow (as @Andy Black recommended), but we won't build any AI of our own, just like we won't all become brain surgeons. It is a highly specialized domain of expertise which is far beyond the comprehension of the average human.

Comparing web design with AI is preposterous.
It's like comparing painting a wall with the engineering behind building the Empire State Building.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Learn how to make AI?

The company that created ChatGPT has over a hundred employees (150 IQ geniuses with a PhD) and has received $2bn in investments. Not exactly the kind of project that you can start from your mom's basement - unless you are Nikola Tesla.

Most of us will end up using AI powered software to improve our workflow (as @Andy Black recommended), but we won't build any AI of our own, just like we won't all become brain surgeons. It is a highly specialized domain of expertise which is far beyond the comprehension of the average human.

It's like comparing painting a wall with the engineering behind building the Empire State Building.
I don't think @DCG (who's 16 and still in school) meant to ask about creating AI itself, more about using it. I wrote my PS just to clarify the goal.

Andreas Thiel

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Aug 27, 2018
Karlsruhe, Germany
Learn how to make AI?

I think that sounds a little too hostile and negative. Basic AI projects are relatively approachable, but it would be a huge pivot into a whole different kind of ballgame.

Based on the reasoning in the original post, I agree with the gist of the reply. To position yourself in a way to not become a web development dinosaur it makes a lot more sense to observe trends and use new tools.

The fear that web design might start a decline, similar to the way desktop pc solutions were replaced by mobile first solutions as people ditched their PCs in favor of iPhones, might be warranted. Rather than blindly jumping into the AI development game it might make more sense to step back, identify customer behavior and position yourself so that you can help website owners modernise their online presence.

The thought came up in the ChatGPT thread. How will companies that depend on SEO be affected if legacy search is disrupted by large language models?

Hard to say which steps web designers should take now, though.
My take on generic advice is: not getting too invested in one way to do things and instead developing a healthy mental model will probably pay off. That includes learning the terminology of problem and solution domain and being able to explain why things are done the way they are done. If you follow the trends you will be able to shuffle things around to adapt to new realities.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
553%
Apr 17, 2022
I think that sound a little too hostile and negative.
Not hostile or negative at all.

If the kid wants to get into AI, that's great. Just know that the path will take 10 years of hard work (if you want remarkable results and not be mediocre). Totally doable at age 16 (or even at 40 for that matter). So @DCG if that's what you want, by all means go for it!

If instead the question was something on the lines of "web development vs AI tools" for the purpose of content creation, then it's the wrong question because they are not mutually exclusive. AI is not here to steal your job, is here to help you be even more productive.

As for the upcoming changes in technology that you mentioned (web development, desktop vs mobile, SEO etc.), you're right that changes will happen. But trying to predict the future is completely pointless. Chasing new technology trends is the same as chasing money: hoping to be in the right place at the right time.

The technology changes, but the principles of success remain the same. That's why some people always win - they got the fundamentals right. If Zuckerberg didn't create facebook, he would be extremely successful doing something else.

Andreas Thiel

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Aug 27, 2018
Karlsruhe, Germany
Not hostile or negative at all.

If the kid wants to get into AI, that's great. Just know that the path will take 10 years of hard work (if you want remarkable results and not be mediocre). Totally doable at age 16 (or even at 40 for that matter). So @DCG if that's what you want, by all means go for it!

If instead the question was something on the lines of "web development vs AI tools" for the purpose of content creation, then it's the wrong question because they are not mutually exclusive. AI is not here to steal your job, is here to help you be even more productive.

As for the upcoming changes in technology that you mentioned (web development, desktop vs mobile, SEO etc.), you're right that changes will happen. But trying to predict the future is completely pointless. Chasing new technology trends is the same as chasing money: hoping to be in the right place at the right time.

The technology changes, but the principles of success remain the same. That's why some people always win - they got the fundamentals right. If Zuckerberg didn't create facebook, he would be extremely successful doing something else.
I think we mostly agree, but thinking about the future is not completely pointless.

People who are successful got the timing right. There is immense value to be unlocked in the "adjacent possible".
Ray Kurzweil became a "Futurist" not because that is his thing, but because it helped him time his inventions.

He nailed optical character recognition and speech recognition and he could accurately say that the Human Genome Project was on track to reach its goals even though they had only decoded around 1% after 7.5 years, which was half the total time allocated for the project.
I think in "Smartcuts" there are several examples of people who observed the waves before they rode one. In my opinion the timing concerns are a valid topic to discuss.

Yes, there will be more than enough money to be made in the realm of "legacy solutions".
I am not so sure the current approach: learn HTML, then CSS ... then some JavaScript ist still great advice. Some more focus on panoramic view is probably a good idea.

100speed

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jan 2, 2017
London
Agreed on this. You don't need to know the ins and outs of AI models in order to harness the power of AI. OpenAI and others (pipeline.ai etc.) are used by several startups valued at Billions (e.g. Jasper.ai leverages GPT-3, 100m ARR over 1 yr, valued at 1.5bn), and most of the time do not start with their own AI/ML models (would be far too expensive to train and quality would be terrible vs leveraging those with billions of parameters).

I would continue to learn how to code and build websites (front to back-end), and utilise these infra-as-a-service players in order to add features or core functionality to whatever the website is that your building. No harm in learning more about ML and AI at a high-level. To earlier commenters point, AI/ML progress (and the relevant experts) are mostly now aligned with BigTech (OpenAi - i.e. Microsoft, Google etc.) - with access to unbeatable resources and world-leading talent.

DCG

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 15, 2022
Hello Fastlaners, just wanted to do a update on the progress so far. I finished the javascript tutorial and I'm making my portfolio right now. I figured I could make a coffee shop website because I had coffee the other day and I thought it would be a good idea. I been using midjourney because the art it makes looks really nice and I can get it for free. I've been using Chat GPT to make the layout of the webiste so I can edit it. I tried using it to make the website for me and it didn't work very well. I would say I finished it but I got distracted by it for a bit. I'm going to finish it or at the very least part of it with the time that I have. I changed the title to the post because rather than saying I'm going to do something, I'm actually doing something, and that something is web design.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Hello Fastlaners, just wanted to do a update on the progress so far. I finished the javascript tutorial and I'm making my portfolio right now. I figured I could make a coffee shop website because I had coffee the other day and I thought it would be a good idea. I been using midjourney because the art it makes looks really nice and I can get it for free. I've been using Chat GPT to make the layout of the webiste so I can edit it. I tried using it to make the website for me and it didn't work very well. I would say I finished it but I got distracted by it for a bit. I'm going to finish it or at the very least part of it with the time that I have. I changed the title to the post because rather than saying I'm going to do something, I'm actually doing something, and that something is web design.

I moved your post. You don't need to create a new thread everytime you do something. Just make this your progress thread and you can periodically post here in this existing thread.

DCG

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 15, 2022
I moved your post. You don't need to create a new thread everytime you do something. Just make this your progress thread and you can periodically post here in this existing thread.
Thx Demarco didn't know

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
So Web Design could be your second-order specialized-unit something that you do with your time. AI could be used to help create a first-order specialized-unit that you can use to create maybe like a Software as a Service product that does something or solve a specific within the marketplace.

I guess like Alex Hormozi states from his recent video about AI. Either we adopt or die. Scary to think that one day in the future we can also have our jobs in replaced. But I'm talking like future generations of AI as it's being developed. I hope it just doesn't turn into a FAD trend. Like how Crypto, NFTs, and Web3.0 were/still are.

DCG

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 15, 2022
Just wanted to a update on the website stuff, I made my first website and although I don't think it's the best thing ever I'm still glad that I made it because it shows that I can pull this off I used ai art for the food and I think it looks really nice. Sure it's not the best website ever but it's my website.Screenshot 2023-01-10 201042.jpgScreenshot 2023-01-10 201129.jpgScreenshot 2023-01-10 201145.jpg

DCG

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 15, 2022
I made another website! I think it's a lot better than the first website because now it has a mobile menu. I figured out how do make one with youtube and chat gpt. I again used ai art because I think it just looks nice. I finally made it navigable for smaller screens to because that's pretty important.

Down below is the website, Like I said, I think it's a lot better but the video recording quality doesn't seem to be the best but that's okay. I would make the other one immediately but I have a lot of school work to do so I'll just work on the navbar
View attachment unknown_2023.01.17-17.49_clip_1.mp4

DCG

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 15, 2022
1676897046617.png

1676897123602.png

1676897185034.png

1676897278366.png

1676897314287.png

1676897351429.png

1676897397126.png

1676897419376.png

1676897437826.png

I made a few more websites for my portfolio. Not sure when I want to find clients, but I do want to start a YouTube channel or Instagram so clients can come to me rather than vice versa. If anyone has any suggestions of what kind of websites I can make I would appreciate it

Attachments

• 1676897054487.png
    1676897054487.png
    300 KB · Views: 3

DCG

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 15, 2022
1676897661840.png

Oso

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
298%
Jan 18, 2022
Tbh, people are giving ChatGPT a bit too much credit rn. It's new, shiny, and powerful. Mix that with "we're sick of Google and want them gone," and people flock to the "HURR GOOGLE KILLER!"

The bad news: it isn't killing Google
The good news: it isn't killing search engines, it isn't killing developer roles, and it's still worth pursuing tech/web design/web dev/copywriting.

ChatGPT is a tool to bridge the gap between "human work" and automated work. I primarily use ChatGPT to assist with copy, obtain summarizations of industries/concepts/etc. ChatGPT saves me time with my agency, but it doesn't run my agency. As you develop out your agency, you will slowly begin seeing how/why/where ChatGPT saves you time, based on your own business needs.

DCG

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 15, 2022
Tbh, people are giving ChatGPT a bit too much credit rn. It's new, shiny, and powerful. Mix that with "we're sick of Google and want them gone," and people flock to the "HURR GOOGLE KILLER!"

The bad news: it isn't killing Google
The good news: it isn't killing search engines, it isn't killing developer roles, and it's still worth pursuing tech/web design/web dev/copywriting.

ChatGPT is a tool to bridge the gap between "human work" and automated work. I primarily use ChatGPT to assist with copy, obtain summarizations of industries/concepts/etc. ChatGPT saves me time with my agency, but it doesn't run my agency. As you develop out your agency, you will slowly begin seeing how/why/where ChatGPT saves you time, based on your own business needs.
Thx I tried to use chatGPT to automate most of the coding for the websites and I realized that that doesn't work at all but It's very good for copy and writing snippets of code that you can use.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.