The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Should I change careers at middle age if I'm in the slowlane?

Idea threads

Rex Wee

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Nov 6, 2017
Taiwan
Hi Friends,

I have been a singer all my life.

Unlike most starving artists, I have a singing job with a full-time salary for the last 18 years.

So I guess I'm lucky that I'm not starving in my singing career.

However, a full-time salary means you're in the Sidewalk or Slowlane.

I have thought of building a teaching business around my singing, but I'm not really sure how much market there is with singing.

Deep down, I feel that singing is not a high-demand niche with a lot of market, since most people can live without singing.

I don't mind giving up singing and switch to another career path.

I have been really intrigued by Fox's Web Design program and am thinking of learning that skill.

The "problem" is - I'm 47 already.

I don't know if it's wise to start over in another field that has more Fastlane potential.

Would appreciate any advice or inputs concerning my situation? Thanks!

Rex

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hi Friends,

Unlike most starving artists, I have a singing job with a full-time salary for the last 18 years.

I have thought of building a teaching business around my singing, but I'm not really sure how much market there is with singing.

Deep down, I feel that singing is not a high-demand niche with a lot of market, since most people can live without singing.

I have been really intrigued by Fox's Web Design program and am thinking of learning that skill.

I don't know if it's wise to start over in another field that has more Fastlane potential.

Rex
Grow what you know?

You've already got a skill that people pay you for. The next step is to detach your income from your time.

If you learn another skill you'll end up back here, wondering how to detach your income from your time.

Has anyone ever in the history of singers created a Fastlane business out of singing?

Are there singing tutorials on YouTube? How big are they? How many views do they get? How do they monetise?

What do people already spend their money on that indicates they're prepared to pay money to improve their singing?

How many other singers wish they could earn a living singing? Have you ever given advice to any? Did any ever then become singers full-time? How much is that worth to them?

Can license your work or some other way keep getting paid long after you did the work?

These might help:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Ok. I just found your YouTube channel:

Can you take songs you've recorded and make music videos that could go viral because the video quality matches your singing?

Don't just think of traditional music videos that focus on the singer. Maybe you create a soothing video with nice b-roll and even fancy captions so people can follow the story? Or maybe the video is designed to be uplifting and inspiring?

I'm sure there's a massive audience out there for your singing, especially if packaged up like that.

Study the meditation music channels, or the yoga workout channels for ideas and inspiration.

If your job keeps the roof over your head AND produces content, then can you grow your YouTube channel and audience on the side?

What if you had 100,000 subscribers? What would your world look like then?

What if you had 1 million subscribers?

Check out this master thread, and especially the first one linked in it. Notice how James Jani (@Valier) grew his personal brand even though his videos aren't about him and rarely show him.

Fantasy

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Nov 13, 2018
I feel that singing is not a high-demand niche with a lot of market, since most people can live without singing.

Your audience can be teenagers and young adults.

You can use your singing skills to create a course, then target course ads towards teens who are looking to learn to sing so that they can show off amongst their peers.

As for young adults, I think that people would want to learn some vocal skills to amp-up their social status among friends or co-workers.

Rather than earning an income from singing, most people would prefer to learn to sing to impress their colleagues and friends...

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
553%
Apr 17, 2022
Your chronological age means nothing.
It's your biological age that matters, and based on your appearance you look like a healthy person in their 30s.

If you believe that it's time to change your career, that in itself is the only reason you need to move forward and do it. You only live once, so you better do everything that you want.

However, I wouldn't quit your current activity entirely. You can easily start a brick-and-mortar school or do some online courses to monetize your skill. Meanwhile, you can get into web dev - it's a great skill to have and you can easily learn most of the things you need over the course of a few months, by putting in a few hours of effort every day.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Question is, are you happy? Satisfied? Will you die with some regrets?

If not, the Slowlane/Fastlane question is not relevant.

You can be perfectly happy doing whatever, even if the pay is not fantastic.

Cameraman

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Sep 25, 2021
UK
Hi Friends,

Rex
If you want to earn more then use your existing skills.

How about:
  • Singing and jingles for advertising?
  • Singing birthday messages that people order online?
  • Singing wedding proposals?
  • Singing break-up messages (softens the blow)?
You could put your skills to good use to earn more money if you think more widely about who could use you and how you could sell your service. People may be able to live without singing but that doesn't mean there's no money to be made.

Rex Wee

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Nov 6, 2017
Taiwan
Question is, are you happy? Satisfied? Will you die with some regrets?

If not, the Slowlane/Fastlane question is not relevant.

You can be perfectly happy doing whatever, even if the pay is not fantastic.
MJ,

Oh, I love singing. It’s my “passion”, but I’m not happy with the income.

I'm satisfied with making music, but extremely unsatisfied that I'm not making enough income to support my family with 2 kids well.

I’m not quite sure what you’re saying here. Isn't getting to the Fastlane is what this is all about.

Thanks for your reply!

Rex

Last edited:

Rex Wee

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Nov 6, 2017
Taiwan
Ok. I just found your YouTube channel:

Can you take songs you've recorded and make music videos that could go viral because the video quality matches your singing?

Don't just think of traditional music videos that focus on the singer. Maybe you create a soothing video with nice b-roll and even fancy captions so people can follow the story? Or maybe the video is designed to be uplifting and inspiring?

I'm sure there's a massive audience out there for your singing, especially if packaged up like that.

Study the meditation music channels, or the yoga workout channels for ideas and inspiration.

If your job keeps the roof over your head AND produces content, then can you grow your YouTube channel and audience on the side?

What if you had 100,000 subscribers? What would your world look like then?

What if you had 1 million subscribers?

Check out this master thread, and especially the first one linked in it. Notice how James Jani (@Valier) grew his personal brand even though his videos aren't about him and rarely show him.
Yes, I know about James Jani.

These are very creative business ideas with singing. I never thought of those before.

I guess this shows I'm very single-minded being an artist/singer all my life, rather than entrepreneurial.

Thank you so much!

Rex

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
I’m not quite sure what you’re saying here. Isn't getting to the Fastlane is what this is all about.
The fastlane isn't for everybody and I think MJ's response reflects that perspective.

You sound like someone who thinks "gosh the fast lane sure would be nice". But going fastlane often involves real risk, real loss, more failure, kicks in the teeth, a little success, more negative stuff, all before you even get on the path that will land you on the path to that lifestyle you want.

So instead of a "would be nice" mindset, most people need a "eff this, I'm going fastlane no matter what" type of mindset.

Additionally, the truth is, no one here can tell you whether you should switch careers. You're the one living your life. You're the one who knows all the factors. You're the one who needs to decide.

And if you really want to get to the fast lane, you're going to need to be the one that's in control of decisions like these.

It's fine to ask for advice. But deep down, I think you already know the answer to this question.

The real question you want to be asking is, how do I get on the fast lane with the least amount of risk to my family and money and status as possible?

Once people get past the should I question, everybody wants a blueprint.

The only blueprint we can give to finding your own path is pick a direction and put one foot in front of the other.

You are capable of improving your life at any age. You're not "too old". The question is, are you "too settled"?

If you're settled in, and generally happy with your life, then enjoy your happiness and raise those two kiddos.

But if you're trying to go from the sidewalk to the fast lane, buckle up baby cuz it's a bumpy ride.

But you've been on the forum for a while. I didn't say anything you don't already know.

Good luck Rex.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
The fastlane isn't for everybody and I think MJ's response reflects that perspective.

You sound like someone who thinks "gosh the fast lane sure would be nice". But going fastlane often involves real risk, real loss, more failure, kicks in the teeth, a little success, more negative stuff, all before you even get on the path that will land you on the path to that lifestyle you want.

So instead of a "would be nice" mindset, most people need a "eff this, I'm going fastlane no matter what" type of mindset.

Additionally, the truth is, no one here can tell you whether you should switch careers. You're the one living your life. You're the one who knows all the factors. You're the one who needs to decide.

And if you really want to get to the fast lane, you're going to need to be the one that's in control of decisions like these.

It's fine to ask for advice. But deep down, I think you already know the answer to this question.

The real question you want to be asking is, how do I get on the fast lane with the least amount of risk to my family and money and status as possible?

The only blueprint we can give to finding your own path is pick a direction and put one foot in front of the other.

You are capable of improving your life at any age. You're not "too old". The question is, are you "too settled"?

If you're settled in, and generally happy with your life, then enjoy your happiness and raise those two kiddos.

But if you're trying to go from the sidewalk to the fast lane, buckle up baby cuz it's a bumpy ride.

But you've been on the forum for a while. I didn't say anything you don't already know.

Good luck Rex.
Don't let Bizy put you off Rex. It doesn't have to be a bumpy road, and you can chip away at it. He just likes big explosions and car chases...

Rex Wee

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Nov 6, 2017
Taiwan

Good luck Rex.
I love your reply! Thanks so much!

I have not been on the forum - I just opened an account years ago.

I recently decided to fully engage in this awesome platform, because I want to make a change in my life.

No, I'm not too settled. Although I'm grateful with what I have, I'm not happy with where I am at this stage of my life.

I have unfulfilled dreams of travelling the world, and I simply want to build a foundation of wealth for my family and generations to come.

I don't want my kids and grandkids to be enslaved by the Slowlane lifestyle. It sucks.

I hate the Slowlane and the Sidewalk. It kills the human spirit.

As for the bumpy road, yes, it has already started for me with some financial failures and investments over the past few years. That's why I'm here now.

Great to be here with all the Fastlaners!

Rex

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Another late payer bites the dust ...

In all seriousness though, Rex... pick a direction, get started, keep going.

If you think digging into YouTube makes sense then maybe investigate big YouTube channels this weekend and think about why they're bigger than yours. Then come up with a plan to publish a new video next week?

The reason I've latched onto YouTube is because you already have a skill AND you already have a channel with 400+ subscribers and some amazing feedback.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
These are very creative business ideas with singing. I never thought of those before.

I guess this shows I'm very single-minded being an artist/singer all my life, rather than entrepreneurial.
Think about this.

Is it possible a singer with better entrepreneurial skills than you (and maybe less technical skills than you) could be running a fastlane business that revolves around their skill of singing?

It's not your technical skill that's holding you back, it's your entrepreneurial skill. Hence me suggesting switching to a new technical skill isn't necessarily going to help. I suspect you'd be throwing away your high-ground of DECADES of singing skills, experience, and connections.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
Last edited:

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
A friend was non profit singer for 20+ years. 5 years ago at a beer we planned to make a band around her (some friends around) and we put some songs on YouTube, which got some attention.
Sadly she s gone away 2 years ago.

But maybe you l take some colleges and make songs for YouTube, Spotify....

Rex Wee

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Nov 6, 2017
Taiwan
In all seriousness though, Rex... pick a direction, get started, keep going.
Yeah, I have to decided a direction. I have try a lot of online marketing “crap” In the last few years and none of them worked.

I have a singing blog for 5 years but it has not taken off, because I really suck at SEO. As for YOuTube, I really didn’t do much other than uploading videos of me singing in performances.

I guess when I don’t know which direction to go, I just have to “do something” and see what happens. I love the James Jani story.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
As for YOuTube, I really didn’t do much other than uploading videos of me singing in performances
I just upload videos and my channel hasn't grown either. Maybe there's more to growing a channel than just uploading videos...

Victor Silva

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Aug 12, 2014
Regarding the development of the skill you already have:
Here in Brazil, there's a composer / musician /singer who's likely very rich from his media efforts. He sings for babies and small children. His songs are accompanied by 2d animations - cartoon music videos, you know? He's on YouTube, Netflix and probably even some paid TV channels. Search for Mundo Bita for inspiration. Lyrics are about animals in the farm, human body, your typical songs for children menu.
We also have Galinha Pintadinha, which, contrary to Mundo Bita, hasn't composed any songs as far as I know - they only do public domain songs.
Of course, that business model was not invented in Brazil. You have world famous channels such as Cocomelon and Little Baby Bum.
The thing with such videos is that they get a lot of views because babies and small children obsess about them - each of them tends to watch the same videos many times over. So, if you're to develop what you're already good at - singing, it could be valuable to consider songs for babies and small children and partnering with 2d animators.

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois
Yeah, I have to decided a direction. I have try a lot of online marketing “crap” In the last few years and none of them worked.

I have a singing blog for 5 years but it has not taken off, because I really suck at SEO. As for YOuTube, I really didn’t do much other than uploading videos of me singing in performances.

I guess when I don’t know which direction to go, I just have to “do something” and see what happens. I love the James Jani story.
Upload videos of you either A. teaching people to sing or giving advice or B. Singing in an entertaining way

Give value through your videos,either in the form of advice and tips, or entertainment. People don't care about a video of a person singing at a performance, Unless it is unique or entertaining, or both.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.