The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Sure Calgary is cheap compared to Vancouver, but that doesn't make it a good deal.
What you think is a good deal is subjective. That's why the prices are still where they are. If nobody thought they were a good deal, the prices would come down. Your value system is different than others right now. Maybe it will never be the same and maybe real estate will always seem too expensive for you.

I have not seen houses come down even 1 dollar with the increased interest rates.
This is because if they came down $1, they would be scooped up by someone who thought the price was right.

I heard this story of a lady that wanted to buy a condo in one of my complexes. The price was $900k pre-covid. She thought it was too expensive. Then it went up to $1.2M during covid, now she thought it was crazy people expensive. Then $1.6M, wow who is so dumb to buy? Now $1.75M, now FOMO has set in.

Rumor has it that she is stilling waiting for prices to drop.

I am pretty sure Canada's net population growth far exceeds new home development, by a fair margin.
Well, there you go. If this is what you think, then why don't you think it's a good deal?

I just don't see the value in it. I can (and am looking) get a home or land 100m from the ocean in Mexico for well under 300k.
This argument just doesn't hold water. Anyone can find a larger home on more land somewhere else for cheaper. I'm sure you can find a house on 200 acres somewhere for $150k.

Guess why? It's because of location. Why is it cheaper? Because you probably don't want to live there.

For a decent nothing fancy home in Calgary it's 800k. For something with a yard for the kids and it being renovated it's 1m+. Interest rates be damned.

I think I would also see more value in owning my own rental properties, rather than my own home. Maybe I'm nuts though.
People want to live in Calgary, so home prices go up. Not as many people want to live in Mexico so the price is $300k.

To solve your problem, just move somewhere that other people don't want to live.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
What you think is a good deal is subjective. That's why the prices are still where they are. If nobody thought they were a good deal, the prices would come down. Your value system is different than others right now. Maybe it will never be the same and maybe real estate will always seem too expensive for you.

This is because if they came down $1, they would be scooped up by someone who thought the price was right.

I heard this story of a lady that wanted to buy a condo in one of my complexes. The price was $900k pre-covid. She thought it was too expensive. Then it went up to $1.2M during covid, now she thought it was crazy people expensive. Then $1.6M, wow who is so dumb to buy? Now $1.75M, now FOMO has set in.

Rumor has it that she is stilling waiting for prices to drop.

Well, there you go. If this is what you think, then why don't you think it's a good deal?

This argument just doesn't hold water. Anyone can find a larger home on more land somewhere else for cheaper. I'm sure you can find a house on 200 acres somewhere for $150k.

Guess why? It's because of location. Why is it cheaper? Because you probably don't want to live there.

People want to live in Calgary, so home prices go up. Not as many people want to live in Mexico so the price is $300k.

To solve your problem, just move somewhere that other people don't want to live.
If you buy a house where you want to live none of this matters

Helps if other people want to move there too but if you’re planning on staying in your house who cares what it’s worth, you aren’t selling it anyway

I think the issue might be simply not wanting to live there

If you wanted to live there you’d pay any price
Which is more valuable, a Marketing MBA or a Leadership MBA?
Weird question

If you’re asking this then I assume neither because you don’t have a plan for either of them

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
Weird question

If you’re asking this then I assume neither because you don’t have a plan for either of them

For more context, I'm currently in a Leadership MBA program, and after completing the foundational leadership classes, I see more value in switching to a Marketing MBA. I've been working towards breaking into the marketing industry these past few months. Also, with what I learned about leadership, I already feel more confident and don't see much potential additional value in doing the other coursework compared to the Marketing MBA. However, I would appreciate more feedback on my thought process. I wanted to be vague to have a response not influenced by my further explanation, but maybe it'll help. So here's a brief explanation.

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
Real world business experience > any MBA

Doing both is likely the best option, and that's my plan. I have another experiential opportunity lined up for Q1 2024, and after that, I should be good to get a full-time digital marketing job while completing my MBA.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
True, but when you look at the numbers, it’s crazy.

Rent for a 1 bedroom apartment - +120%

Mortgage - +137%

Req. Downpayment - +130%

Up to a 150% increase on foodbaank reliant civilians.

After all this? He doesn’t care.

but just wanted to share some statistics. Anyone got a country that could beat Canada?

I dare you to come forth;)
Fidel Jr. is hard to beat!

Edoardo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Aug 31, 2022
That's because 98% of communist women are literal skunks, overweight, have piercings, tattoos, green hair, identify themselves with pronouns and are insufferable.

Imagine sending these present day commies in the past to the soviet union, it would be gloriously funny. They would tell a police officer to refer them as they/them and the next place they would find themselves is the gulag.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Just a gentle reminder...

To be in business we need to help people AND get paid.

If we don't get paid we're out of business.

If we're out of business we do our market a disservice.

Business is simple: Help people. Get paid. Help more people.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida

Fat powered airplane. Maybe we can use the passengers as fuel next? A liposuction fuel pipeline could be the cure for obesity!

Vegetable oils could be used in a similar way in aviation, most likely. There have been cars driving around on used frying oil for decades, "bio-diesel", albeit not many of them due to there being no significant business activity around the concept.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia

Fat powered airplane. Maybe we can use the passengers as fuel next? A liposuction fuel pipeline could be the cure for obesity!

Vegetable oils could be used in a similar way in aviation, most likely. There have been cars driving around on used frying oil for decades, "bio-diesel", albeit not many of them due to there being no significant business activity around the concept.
Chemtrails but make them seed oils

Great

Now we can get sprayed with seed oils from the sky

I mean I guess it’s a better use for them that putting them in our food

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I didn't read the article and won't.

I only know that Bezos owns WAPO, so whatever it says, is immaterial.

Imagine what chaos would ensue if Pfizer owned Fox or CNN? Oh that's right, they own the politicians, so they don't need to own the media, just pay 'em off and bribe 'em with an unlimited trove of money.

1701369315403.png

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBKfWcPT-Ug

Damn what an impressive success story and an excellent, almost impossible example of tenacity.

Recently I've been thinking more and more about figuring out how to transition to something more "real" than online stuff. This guy must be so proud of what he has built.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
Imagine what chaos would ensue if Pfizer owned Fox or CNN? Oh that's right, they own the politicians, so they don't need to own the media, just pay 'em off and bribe 'em with an unlimited trove of money.

Years ago I remember reading No One Would Listen by Harry Markopolos. It was a fascinating book about these finance guys who figured out that Bernie Madoff was running a Ponzi scheme long before it went bust and how they kept trying to warn people to no avail.

In the book I remember he said that one of the problem with regulatory agencies is that people who work for them eventually want to go into the private sector, so they try to make nice and treat companies leniently with the hopes that in a few years, they'll get a high paid job, usually doing things like helping companies navigate the complex regulations they put in place.

I bet the same nonsense happens with the FDA and pharma companies.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
I bet the same nonsense happens with the FDA and pharma companies.
It's exactly what happens

This was published in 2018

I don't think anyone is allowed to publish articles like this anymore

One about Pfizer:

Here's an article about 2 fda employees approving Moderna's vax and then immediately taking jobs at Moderna, as well as a UK govt employee who gave Moderna the govt contract then immediately left and started and working for them

1/4 of people resposible for approving cancer drug left to work for the compy whos drug they approved

And one of these mentions someone approving a drug knowing it caused sudden cardiac death and then took a job with that company. He dismissed all the evidence of deaths and used some flawed study to approve it. Later on they had to add a warning to the drug because turns out yes it does cause sudden cardiac deaths.

Crazy

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
A RE question: my dad passed away this year, leaving me with half a detached house.
For renting it out, I d need to invest 100k for 1300 € monthly.
And I don’t like renting out very much, as here the laws are quite against the owners.
Using it for my siblings will make it stand empty for maybe 2 years now.
Selling: prizes are down now. We could get maybe 360k now. Had been maybe 500k 2 years ago.

What would you do?

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
It's exactly what happens

This was published in 2018

I don't think anyone is allowed to publish articles like this anymore

One about Pfizer:

Here's an article about 2 fda employees approving Moderna's vax and then immediately taking jobs at Moderna, as well as a UK govt employee who gave Moderna the govt contract then immediately left and started and working for them

1/4 of people resposible for approving cancer drug left to work for the compy whos drug they approved

And one of these mentions someone approving a drug knowing it caused sudden cardiac death and then took a job with that company. He dismissed all the evidence of deaths and used some flawed study to approve it. Later on they had to add a warning to the drug because turns out yes it does cause sudden cardiac deaths.

Crazy

sigh

Yeah I know that pharma does some sketchy stuff to sell drugs like hire college cheerleaders and strippers to sell drugs to doctors. I've linked an article about it below.

also, "exec" in this case means sales / account executive, which is pretty low on the totem pole for sales people. A board member didn't take a doctor to a strip club (though I wouldn't be surprised if that happened)

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
A RE question: my dad passed away this year, leaving me with half a detached house.
For renting it out, I d need to invest 100k for 1300 € monthly.
And I don’t like renting out very much, as here the laws are quite against the owners.
Using it for my siblings will make it stand empty for maybe 2 years now.
Selling: prizes are down now. We could get maybe 360k now. Had been maybe 500k 2 years ago.

What would you do?
Sell. Would take min 7-8 years to recoup your $100K investment. You're better off keeping your $100K+$360K and investing them in something with better returns.

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
Wow, I've been a member of TFF for over a decade.
I'm enjoying the forum in dark mode a lot more – it's so much easier on the eyes! Thanks for adding the option @MJ DeMarco

I use dark mode whenever it's available. I looked to change my settings but didn't find it. How do I switch to dark mode?

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Wow, I've been a member of TFF for over a decade.

I use dark mode whenever it's available. I looked to change my settings but didn't find it. How do I switch to dark mode?
It’s a secret…

Click “style chooser”

IMG_2621.png

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Looking back on some spectacular, most beautiful times in your life (great trips, a phase of your life, honeymoon, first few weeks of being with your newborn, hustling on your first successful business, etc.), do you generally feel that you were 100% present and acknowledged the magic of these moments or do you tend to look back with some regret, thinking that you could have been even more present?

No matter how deeply I take in these precious moments, later I tend to think that I could have been even more present and enjoyed them even more. But maybe that's just normal and indicates how special these moments were?

@MJ DeMarco, I would appreciate your answer as I feel like your knowledge of Michael A. Singer and your daily gratitude could provide a helpful insight here.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
No matter how deeply I take in these precious moments, later I tend to think that I could have been even more present and enjoyed them even more. But maybe that's just normal and indicates how special these moments were?

that homeless slovenian commie who mogged Jordan Peterson talked about how modern societies have this problem where people feel guilty for not enjoying things enough. I'll see if I can find the interview or book passage where he talked about it.

You should definitely try to get the most of your experiences, but are you really better off thinking over everything you've done and wondering if you could have enjoyed it more? You're not obligated to experience nirvana over everything.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Looking back on some spectacular, most beautiful times in your life (great trips, a phase of your life, honeymoon, first few weeks of being with your newborn, hustling on your first successful business, etc.), do you generally feel that you were 100% present and acknowledged the magic of these moments or do you tend to look back with some regret, thinking that you could have been even more present?

@MJ DeMarco, I would appreciate your answer as I feel like your knowledge of Michael A. Singer and your daily gratitude could provide a helpful insight here.

I've spent a good chunk of my life tired. So I know there have been times in my life when I was not as fully present as I could have been.

The question I ask myself is, did I give the best that I had in that moment? Maybe I didn't have 100% to give. Maybe I only had 80%. But did I give all 80%?

And generally speaking in those moments you speak of, I gave what I had to give. No regrets. Worst case, I promise myself to do better next time. But I don't live in the past. What's done is done.

Hope that helps.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

Honesrly, I feel like I have enjoyed them to the fullest at the moment that they happened.

I’m going to give you a Pickleball story. I play mixed doubles pickle ball with my friend and sometimes he’ll just serve the ball into the net.

He would tell me that sometimes when he’s about to serve that he suddenly thinks about what he wants for dinner in the middle of his swing. If there is a business problem bothering him, it will suddenly pop into his head in the middle of a rally.

I tell him that I don’t think about anything else but what I’m doing at the moment. This is why I feel like I do enjoy everything to my maximum ability. However, I have many friends that think about other things while other actual great things are happening to them in the moment.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019