The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My first website idea - in the process

Idea threads

Mr.Goomba

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 26, 2012
Short background about myself. Recent college grad (22 yrs old), degree in business admin major in human performance and systems management (management with strong emphasis in computers). Accepted job offer at 34k a year plus bonuses and profit sharing. Been working since may... not happy with my career path. Basically... iv known since I was young that im "above" the 8-5 lifestyle. Iv constantly brainstormed ideas for starting a business and that has always been a dream. My job is not hard, and I have tons of free time to "pretend" im working without getting caught and making my salary. With this said.. iv read 9 books (all finance, business, management, and entrepreneur) since starting work.... this is my last book and just confirmed that I have a greater calling then 8-5.

While Im unsure if a website is the fast lane for me... i know that there is potential (still exploring how). My girlfriend is obsessed with fashion, hair, makup etc. Her sister is a hair stylist. They always talk about how they wish there was a one stop website with all the info they could want. They follow bloggers and youtubers who provide hair tutorials and makup etc.

my idea...provide the solution to their problem (that website). The jist is just a website that will have articles and information about hair, makup, fitness, fashion etc. Their will be uploaded videos of "how to's". There will be a way for a virtual consultant. Basically the user inputs information about themselves.. and they will be returned with the proper makup and hairstyles that fit them best... and also recommends the correct products they should purchase and use. Id also like to add a forum that will have sections for each of the sections in the website that will allow the users to openly discuss (continue drawing the users back daily). Lastly.. I would like to have some bloggers that the girls follow have access to a blogger section. Their will be a tab with the bloggers blog name.. that will direct to the bloggers page. The blogger will also have a tab that directs to my website. Basically we work together.. any users they have will see my website.. and anyone on my website will see the bloggers. Also, with hopefully like 5 bloggers... they will draw traffic to each other and continue bringing traffic to site. I have talked to one blogger who gets 20k views a month and she said she would be more then welcome to join (and also contribute content to the website).

basically can money be made (as in large amounts).

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

psaco131

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Mar 16, 2012
Peru
You can also review hair products for companies to make some extra bucks. Keep us posted.

Mr.Goomba

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 26, 2012
Ya I thought that would be a good idea when I get more traffic. I figured money could be made from ads and product reviews. Maybe not enough though

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
I don't like the idea of driving people to/from outside blogs. All blogs shoild be hosted within your website.

The tools you create should be good enough that all fashion bloggers mention you without needing to put together a linnk exchange. You can't leverage link swapping.

I love the idea of readers having a profile. You get their skin tone, eye color, height, weight, etc about them. Based on this you can develop an automated system to reccomend products to targeted customers. Week one they get sent a promotion for an eye makeup that compliments their eye color. Next week they get a dress promotion matching their body type, etc.

I'm sure avon would like to get their hands on that website. I bet you can develop it, popularize it! And then sell it for a few million.

vksheilds

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 27, 2012
You can set up a web site locally on your own machine, test it and then upload it to your hosting provider. It's what I did. It may seem a bit convoluted, but you can test and fiddle around with the site until it's to your satisfaction. A new website just doesn’t have the search engine trust factor or link portfolio needed to rank well right out of the gate. Instead of fighting an uphill battle you can’t win, here are three keyword research tips for new website owners to get their SEO off to a good start.

1. Target long-tail keywords.

2. Define your niche.

3. Don’t forget local keywords.

Mr.Goomba

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 26, 2012
Thanks for all the input guys. I just can't wait to leave the 9-5 lifestyle and quit wasting my time. You are right about the blogger pages.. I should house the blogger instead of redirect to their website. This way, I can also have ad space on their blog. When a user signs up and inputs their info for the virtual consultant... I can have it recommend products to them.... It also have that users information sent to the company that's products are being referred?

I guess I won't know if this idea is one worth pursuing until I try.. I constantly look for those key words mj mentions in the book such as sucks or I wish to trigger an idea opportunity. Obviously the idea of making big money is desirable... But all I need now is enough money to match what I make now so I can leave my job. I'm just looking for freedom

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Bruce

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Feb 1, 2012
Canada
I wouldn't suggest hosting it locally. I mean it costs a penny to get hosting now a days. Look for a HostGator 1 cent coupon.

I don't think there's a lot of money to be made from this concept*. I think most people visit youtube gurus/guru blogs and even the top youtube makeup gurus don't make over $150k a year.

Rich YouTube Stars - Business Insider

Michelle Phan is top paying makeup guru/youtube partner and has her own blog. I think the blog makes revenue on her own but from what I see it's nothing fastlane. No scale, control, and time commandments.

PS: Her latest video scored 350k in views in 24 hours. If she occasionally gets that many views and only makes $150k~ a year I wouldn't try to get into this niche.

Last edited:

Mr.Goomba

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 26, 2012
I wouldn't suggest hosting it locally. I mean it costs a penny to get hosting now a days. Look for a HostGator 1 cent coupon.

I don't think there's a lot of money to be made from this niche. I think most people visit youtube gurus/guru blogs and even the top youtube makeup gurus don't make over $150k a year.

Rich YouTube Stars - Business Insider

Michelle Phan is top paying makeup guru/youtube partner and has her own blog. I think the blog makes revenue on her own but from what I see it's nothing fastlane. No scale, control, and time commandments.

PS: Her latest video scored 350k in views in 24 hours. If she occasionally gets that many views and only makes $150k~ a year I wouldn't try to get into this niche.

Thanks alot Bruce.. I believe you are correct. No doubt I may be able to eventually get Web traffic... But I dont see a need that will provide profit.

In fact.. This was probably a weak attempt to think of a poor idea to get into the entrepreneur life. I just hateeeeeee wasting my time at the office.

Btw... Posted my intro earlier. I apologize for not doing that first

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Bruce

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Feb 1, 2012
Canada
I think you should try the virtual consultant idea. There is a need for makeup artists who help with makeup or weddings/parties/etc. Maybe it'd be a cheap alternative to have a consultant over skype demonstrating or suggestion colors etc. Or maybe you can create a platform for existing makeup artists to consult over video chat etc.

Mr.Goomba

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 26, 2012
I think you should try the virtual consultant idea. There is a need for makeup artists who help with makeup or weddings/parties/etc. Maybe it'd be a cheap alternative to have a consultant over skype demonstrating or suggestion colors etc. Or maybe you can create a platform for existing makeup artists to consult over video chat etc.

very interesting. Almost like a portal for these consultants. Come to website for a free consultation (future consultations can be charged by the consultant) .. line them up with an online consultant. Would be very similar to the method used by MJ for linking people to limo services. (Linking people to consulting service).

Would have to look into how much consultants would pay to be apart of the website, how much a consume would pay to get consulted, etc When consumer signs up, they could get promotional information sent to them (money from the promotions)

always open to ideas

EDIT:

Could even have the website designed to recommend products to a consumer. They come to site, fill out info about themselves, and they will be presented with products that are best suited for them (hair type, color, eye color, skin tone, age, etc etc etc. )

Then, you can have a request a consultation box. The consumer then can click that to request a consultation quote that will get sent to any online or even in person consultant that pays to have their name linked to the quote.

If it grows and continues to get traffic, could get paid to recommend or review products

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
Bruce I completely disagree with you. Yes youtube personalities make 150K/year, but they're hardly going the proper way about generating revenue. That's 150/year on ads alone. Somewhere out there ad publishers are shelling out the 150k/year, because there's money to be made from this audience.

Ideally, he'd be able to partner with people like Phan. Once you get rolling with this enough to make it slowlane (trading time for dollars) use phan and others like her as an accelerant. Maybe give her an additional 5K-10K to mention the site, rave about it, pre/post rolls, become an official sponsor, etc.

with 300K+ per video in 24 hours, and a proper funnel to retain these members as regular users... imagine how fast this site would explode. And that's jsut with phan. There are dozens of other youtube partners out there to partner with. If this DID become fastlane, hell you could hire the youtube personalities, double their salaries and have them become official representatives, active on both youtube and your site.

I say go for it. The first step will awaken your compass and the correct path will become clear. A lot clearer than dreaming about it, anyways. Maybe just don't quit your job just yet.

Mr.Goomba

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 26, 2012
Maybe just don't quit your job just yet.

as much as i hate going to the office everyday.. i have no intention to quit. I am at work for 9 hours a day.. probably spend only 7 of those truly working. I can get alot of my own work done while getting paid!

Bruce

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Feb 1, 2012
Canada
Bruce I completely disagree with you. Yes youtube personalities make 150K/year, but they're hardly going the proper way about generating revenue. That's 150/year on ads alone. Somewhere out there ad publishers are shelling out the 150k/year, because there's money to be made from this audience.

Ideally, he'd be able to partner with people like Phan. Once you get rolling with this enough to make it slowlane (trading time for dollars) use phan and others like her as an accelerant. Maybe give her an additional 5K-10K to mention the site, rave about it, pre/post rolls, become an official sponsor, etc.

with 300K+ per video in 24 hours, and a proper funnel to retain these members as regular users... imagine how fast this site would explode. And that's jsut with phan. There are dozens of other youtube partners out there to partner with. If this DID become fastlane, hell you could hire the youtube personalities, double their salaries and have them become official representatives, active on both youtube and your site.

I say go for it. The first step will awaken your compass and the correct path will become clear. A lot clearer than dreaming about it, anyways. Maybe just don't quit your job just yet.

I mixed up the word niche and concept. Cosmetics niche is one of the worlds biggest markets, so I agree that there's money in this. I meant to say the concept isn't so much worth it (having a forum, blog, and how to videos) to drive large amounts of revenue.

I agree with you that if you had an already made makeup guru to piggy back you're website it may become popular but I don't see it as a fastlane idea. There still is no big need, time, control or scale.

Tarheelfan2009

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Apr 15, 2012
In my opinion, I think it could be huge as long as you take the correct routes. I think if you prominently featured virtual fashion consulting and subscription based services then you could scale and make big profits.

If you had each sign-up input their physical details complete with head-shots for makeup consulting and body-shots for fashion consulting, then you could offer different services and different premiums to the sign-ups. For example, you could offer a makeup consultation for $x.xx OR a complete wardrobe makeover for $x.xx OR a "I need a party/wedding/prom dress consultation" all by just hiring fashion consultants (or your girlfriend..haha) to review the camera shots and body stats of each submission and making recommendations based on that. That could be easily leveraged and scaled.

You could even go so far as ordering the new wardrobes/makeup/etc for the makeover participants and making profit or a commission from the product sales.

Mr.Goomba

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 26, 2012
In my opinion, I think it could be huge as long as you take the correct routes. I think if you prominently featured virtual fashion consulting and subscription based services then you could scale and make big profits.

If you had each sign-up input their physical details complete with head-shots for makeup consulting and body-shots for fashion consulting, then you could offer different services and different premiums to the sign-ups. For example, you could offer a makeup consultation for $x.xx OR a complete wardrobe makeover for $x.xx OR a "I need a party/wedding/prom dress consultation" all by just hiring fashion consultants (or your girlfriend..haha) to review the camera shots and body stats of each submission and making recommendations based on that. That could be easily leveraged and scaled.

You could even go so far as ordering the new wardrobes/makeup/etc for the makeover participants and making profit or a commission from the product sales.

thanks for the input!!

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
Maybe I'm misunderstanding just a bit. When talk was first mentioned of a "virtual consultant" i imagined a precoded software. Based on your height, skin tone, weight, eye color, and overall style it would have the ability to make reccomendations.

If you're a pale white skinny girl it would be smart enough to reccomend makeup that gives aa hint of color without overpowering your pale complexion... and fullbody shampoo to help visually "fill out" your face. Stuff like that as the primary "service".

The money would come from deals with manufacturers, or if you cant obtain those,.. affiliate sales on products. You can combine this with a freemium model. Using the service is free, but you can't partake in the community, cant "save" settings (need to reenter everytime you want a reccomendation). Registered members can rate products and get suggestions on related products similar to whst pandora does with movie recvomendations or netflix with movies.

I'm seeing this as more than a blog+foruns+tuts. More like a resource/social network for women who want to look good.

The blogging and tutorials would really just be content marketing, although a HUGE part of it.

I disagree with the idea of having stylists consult with people. I think so long as the system is more or less automated there's more than enough to make this a fastlane idea.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.