The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Moving forward whether I like it or not

katalyzt

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Jan 8, 2008
Salt Lake City, Utah
Ok so seriously today is the day. I can not imagine any other criteria I would like filled in order to set myself up for success. Allow me to list my lack of excuses.
- I'm young and single (don't know if the age thing helps but I have no dependents so that's gotta be a plus)
- I have a formal eduction and real world experience as a Software Developer (specializing in web technologies)
- I have a brand new MacBookPro with a desk where I can be alone and focus
- I consider myself pretty intellegent but I'm sure that's biased to some degree :iamwithstupid:
- I have spent the past year and a half or so here on thefastlanetomillions, mostly lurking, reading anything and everything
- I have spent the past couple years reading books and educating myself on investing (RDPD, 40 hour work week, Think And Grow Rich, etc.)

And I'm sure there's more I could add to that list. My point is that there really isn't anything else I need other then the idea. Which is proving to be really quite difficult. But I think it's time to just do it and I'm going to. I couldn't be any more prepared... umm other then having the idea I guess :smxB:

I think I might be making it too difficult/complex. I've been trying to think of a big idea that is pure awesome that hasn't been done before, but I'm starting to believe that you don't really need the next big idea, you can do something simple. Am I right? Do you really need a totally unique idea or can you just do something a little different or a little better? Every time I think I have an idea or something I do a quick google and see that it's endless results of exactly what I was thinking.

Anyway... That's a bit frustrating but I'm more frustrated with feeling like I have the skill set and tools for success I'm just not doing a critical step. So I'm off to do guys/gals. I really want to get the idea picked before the day is out. I'll be back in a few to let you all know how it's going.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Great!

Remember will power is not enough. You have to have hunger, REAL reasons why you should do it. Get "disturbed" as Mr. Robbins would say. That is where the real fuel comes in to light the fire.

You have made a public declaration and we will ALL be holding you accountable! :smxB:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Ya sound like a younger me. Forget about finding the next greatest new thing. Find something that you can do better than anyone else. Your idea won't be as important as will be your execution. Software development is a great skill to have and I admire you for that.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Welcome, katalyzt

Remember, the longest journey begins with one step.

One tiny step.

And each step gets easier and easier.

But that first step is the hardest.

Only thing harder is to keep on going! :banana:

-Russ H.

KLPInvestments

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jan 22, 2008
You don't need an idea that has never been done before.

Coffee had been around for a thousand years when Howard Schultz created Starbucks.

Beer has been brewed for several thousand years, but that didn't stop Jim Koch from starting Sam Adams...nor did it stop Sam Calagione from starting Dogfish Head craft brewery....now the fastest growing brewery in america. Sam started Dogfish Head with very little money and used a 10 gallon home brew kit to start his brewpub in Delaware back in '95. At the time they were the smallest commercial brewery in the country...perhaps the entire world! Today Dogfish Has a state of the art brewery with the capacity to brew and ferment several thousand barrels. Hell...Jim Koch(Sam Adams) didn't even have a brewing facility when he founded his company in 1984, he went out to other brewers and contracted with them to make his beer while Mr. Koch concentrated on sales and distribution. Sam Adams is now the largest american owned brewery....and recently purchased the Latrobe brewing facility in Pennsylvania where Rolling Rock used to be brewed. Now Mr. Koch can brew his own beer.

katalyzt

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Jan 8, 2008
Salt Lake City, Utah
You have made a public declaration and we will ALL be holding you accountable!

Good, that's what I was looking for :thumbsup:

Ok I've been hard at it all day brainstorming, thinking, looking around me, and generally just trying to get the creative process flowing... I'm pleased to announce I think I've got an idea! Something to start with anyway. Obviously it's going to take more then a day to dream up and design an entire web project but I at least have something to work on and mold into a more solid and defined idea.

Now to start the design and requirements process... :coolgleamA:

Thanks for all the kind and motivating words!

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey
Good, that's what I was looking for :thumbsup:

Ok I've been hard at it all day brainstorming, thinking, looking around me, and generally just trying to get the creative process flowing... I'm pleased to announce I think I've got an idea! Something to start with anyway. Obviously it's going to take more then a day to dream up and design an entire web project but I at least have something to work on and mold into a more solid and defined idea.

Now to start the design and requirements process... :coolgleamA:

Thanks for all the kind and motivating words!

Remember when starting the design, there are NO limitations. You use your creativity and imagination. Write everything down so you don't forget, even if it is outrageous. Sometimes that outrageous thought might come in handy.

Good luck!

taichijedi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Feb 22, 2008
Philadelphia
Congrats on your first step to a bigger adventure, katalyst. Like KLP stated earlier, you don't need to come up with something earthshattering, just a better/more efficient way to do things.

Henry Ford didn't invent the wheel, the combustion engine, or even the automobile for that matter; what he did was find a better assembly and delivery method using what was already available. Sometimes you can find some of the best ideas looking small, instead of trying to find "The Next BIG Thing."

As a software developer, ask yourself these questions:

What programs/applications currently don't exist that would make things better/more efficient for end users that you could create?

Where are people trying to find ways to improve in their technology, or where they just don't have the resources application-wise to facilitate what they are trying to accomplish?

This will give you niches where you can start to build frameworks to add value to their user experience through the software you develop. It has been talked about before on this forum, a simple concept called "Observational Awareness." It can be your greatest ally when trying to find an idea to chase to the fastlane.

:cheers:

katalyzt

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Jan 8, 2008
Salt Lake City, Utah
Ok we're really movin now! I've got the idea pretty much solidified in my mind and on paper and I'm even confident it's a good one. It's simple and fulfills a practical purpose. A proof of concept will be easy enough and I'll be able to start out with a basic version and add features as I get feedback and responses to it.

I've got a few more things I got to sketch out here and then I can start developing the framework. Psyched!

Thanks again guys for the advice and motivating words, it really helps keep the psyche up :icon_super:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.