The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I finally understand David Goggins, Jocko, Cameron Haynes etc.. #75Hard

Anything related to matters of the mind

EngineerThis

Accelerate your New Product Launch!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Nov 26, 2014
Traverse City, MI
I haven't been able to figure out "WHY" These guys put themselves through such suffering on a daily basis... But I think I do now.

David Goggins, Jocko Wilnik, Cameron Haynes, Andy Friscilla all have something in common, they're sadistic in the suffering they put themselves through.. Yet love it, crave it, and push even harder the next day.. Why do they do this?

Between going back to working out just after shoulder surgery, running a 200mile foot race, waking up at 4am, and hitting weights EVERY DAY.. Running up Mountains EVERYDAY, finishing the race despite major injuries, raw skin, and hurricanes.. These guys are ultra performers, yet seemingly "normal" dudes.

I thought it was a quest to be "Tough or manly as possible" or maybe "To be stronger than anyone else" or maybe they just get addicted to the endorphin rush..

I started #75Hard a mental toughness program that utilizes physical daily challenges to get you there, I was on Day 16 (Wake up 4:30am, walk 2 miles, work.. Hit the gym, then home.. While making sure I read 10 pages of a book, stick to a diet, and finish my gallon of water) EVERYDAY. Then I injured my knee, got the flu, and my wife went into labor.. No joke! I relented and took off 2 weeks to care for her and my new daughter... What I realized is I felt like crap. I was overjoyed for my daughter but physically I felt like crap, why? Because I wasn't doing anything HARD...

So back on the train, on Day 5 now, and it clicked with me this morning on my daily 5am 2 mile walk.. As the snow was falling, and was sleep-deprived.. I realised the truth, ONLY HARD THINGS MAKE YOU FEEL GOOD AFTER.

This is why I believe these guys do the things they do, because they feel awesome after! Physically stronger, breaking mental barriers, just being proud of yourself, and having the integrity to do the workout fully even though no one is watching..

NOTHING FUN OR EASY MAKES YOU FEEL GOOD AFTER..

Drinking, eating cake, Masturbating, Driving a Lambo, Watching TV... All those things feel good at the moment, but ALL make you feel bad AFTER you stop.

Going to church, real sex, working out, learning, running towards fear, pain, living/eating healthy, working on your Fastlane, and Finishing a major project.. These things suck at first, but you will feel AWESOME after!

In short, good/fun/easy things will leave you feeling depressed after.. (To various degrees)

But painful, scary, hard, tiring, draining things WILL make you feel awesome after, and that feeling of accomplishment, pride, energy, next level etc... Stays for a while. At least until tomorrow, when you grind it into fruition again :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Drinking, eating cake, Masturbating, Driving a Lambo, Watching TV... All those things feel good at the moment, but ALL make you feel bad AFTER you stop.

Kinda a big difference between driving your Lambo and jerking off with your cake.

Look, enjoying things you earned does feel good.

I got a '74 911 last year and that thing is so fun to drive.

Zero regrets after taking it for a spin - it only gets me more hungry to do bigger things.

@Ravens_Shadow is in his thread loving life with a few hours ripping around in his classic Ferrari.

Screenshot 2024-01-30 at 14.54.56.png

I kinda get your point in this thread but you are throwing the baby (and everything else) out with the bathwater.

SnowLava

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jul 7, 2023
India
In short, good/fun/easy things will leave you feeling depressed after.. (To various degrees)

But painful, scary, hard, tiring, draining things WILL make you feel awesome after, and that feeling of accomplishment, pride, energy, next level etc... Stays for a while. At least until tomorrow, when you grind it into fruition again :)
Great post! Have actually felt the 'happiness' one gets after working and doing shit you didnt want to do.

Something that I struggle with, is actually going against 'that' moment - when you absolutely 0 energy, 0 will, 0 desire to do anything. I am not talking about the daily feeling of just not feeling like it, its that combined with absolutely feeling like why am I doing that anymore. Whats the point?

Any advice to deal with that would be helpful.
Thank you for the post!

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I haven't been able to figure out "WHY" These guys put themselves through such suffering on a daily basis... But I think I do now.

No, you don't know. Most of these guys have f*cked up psyches after a shitty childhood and then serving in special forces and having equally shitty experiences there.

Broken people are often drawn to this type of work, as if by becoming badass they can finally face their (often long dead) bully from their childhood (often a family member, dad or stepdad).

The shit they've gone through well before becoming gurus is the most important thing that discerns them. An everyday person will never get anywhere close to the mindset of those guys and I don't think any sane person wants to.

I've read multiple books written by guys like them. For a period of time I was super impressed with them until I realized it was my own coping mechanism, too.

I'm NOT saying there's no value in voluntary suffering. There is. But don't fool yourself you can understand the ridiculously f*cked up mentality these guys have.

I agree with @Fox.

EngineerThis

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Nov 26, 2014
Traverse City, MI
Kinda a big difference between driving your Lambo and jerking off with your cake.

Look, enjoying things you earned does feel good.

I got a '74 911 last year and that thing is so fun to drive.

Zero regrets after taking it for a spin - it only gets me more hungry to do bigger things.

@Ravens_Shadow is in his thread loving life with a few hours ripping around in his classic Ferrari.

View attachment 53787

I kinda get your point in this thread but you are throwing the baby (and everything else) out with the bathwater.
I meant when you rent a Lambo or do a super car experience! I love cars and 110% want a Lambo of my own, because when I get it. I know “I” earned it. Keeping a sports car on the road is not easy! Thats why it feels so good too.. I could’ve expounded on that more!

Last edited:

EngineerThis

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Nov 26, 2014
Traverse City, MI
Great post! Have actually felt the 'happiness' one gets after working and doing shit you didnt want to do.

Something that I struggle with, is actually going against 'that' moment - when you absolutely 0 energy, 0 will, 0 desire to do anything. I am not talking about the daily feeling of just not feeling like it, its that combined with absolutely feeling like why am I doing that anymore. Whats the point?

Any advice to deal with that would be helpful.
Thank you for the post!
I would say it’s because you’re getting your rocks off elsewhere, too much stimulus, too much content, sensory/dopemine overload… for example I found myself really tired after work and not creative..

Why? Because all day I would have podcasts and lectures on as I worked.. information overload! I blocked some websites, and just listen to music and my energy and creativity is much stronger when I get home… I also have completely minimized my iPhone, using the Blank Spaces app.. this has dropped my screen time by 47%. Check it out :)

EngineerThis

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Nov 26, 2014
Traverse City, MI
No, you don't know. Most of these guys have f*cked up psyches after a shitty childhood and then serving in special forces and having equally shitty experiences there.

Broken people are often drawn to this type of work, as if by becoming badass they can finally face their (often long dead) bully from their childhood (often a family member, dad or stepdad).

The shit they've gone through well before becoming gurus is the most important thing that discerns them. An everyday person will never get anywhere close to the mindset of those guys and I don't think any sane person wants to.

I've read multiple books written by guys like them. For a period of time I was super impressed with them until I realized it was my own coping mechanism, too.

I'm NOT saying there's no value in voluntary suffering. There is. But don't fool yourself you can understand the ridiculously f*cked up mentality these guys have.

I agree with @Fox.
Have you completed #75Hard? It absolutely is a program for “normal” people to build that mindset. The proof is staggering.

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany

David Goggins, Jocko Wilnik, Cameron Haynes, Andy Friscilla all have something in common, they're sadistic in the suffering they put themselves through.. Yet love it, crave it, and push even harder the next day.. Why do they do this?

Between going back to working out just after shoulder surgery, running a 200mile foot race, waking up at 4am, and hitting weights EVERY DAY.. Running up Mountains EVERYDAY, finishing the race despite major injuries, raw skin, and hurricanes.. These guys are ultra performers, yet seemingly "normal" dudes.

I thought it was a quest to be "Tough or manly as possible" or maybe "To be stronger than anyone else" or maybe they just get addicted to the endorphin rush..

I started #75Hard a mental toughness program that utilizes physical daily challenges to get you there, I was on Day 16 (Wake up 4:30am, walk 2 miles, work.. Hit the gym, then home.. While making sure I read 10 pages of a book, stick to a diet, and finish my gallon of water) EVERYDAY. Then I injured my knee, got the flu, and my wife went into labor.. No joke! I relented and took off 2 weeks to care for her and my new daughter... What I realized is I felt like crap. I was overjoyed for my daughter but physically I felt like crap, why? Because I wasn't doing anything HARD...

So back on the train, on Day 5 now, and it clicked with me this morning on my daily 5am 2 mile walk.. As the snow was falling, and was sleep-deprived.. I realised the truth, ONLY HARD THINGS MAKE YOU FEEL GOOD AFTER.

This is why I believe these guys do the things they do, because they feel awesome after! Physically stronger, breaking mental barriers, just being proud of yourself, and having the integrity to do the workout fully even though no one is watching..

NOTHING FUN OR EASY MAKES YOU FEEL GOOD AFTER..

Going to church, real sex, working out, learning, running towards fear, pain, living/eating healthy, working on your Fastlane, and Finishing a major project.. These things suck at first, but you will feel AWESOME after!

For a time I felt that 75 hard was too easy but I think sticking with it for the whole time will do something great for me.

I've been too easy on myself for some time now and it's about time for a challenge.
Thank you for writing this post.

Ravens_Shadow

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
642%
Oct 2, 2012
Austin, TX
I put myself through suffering so that I can be free.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Have you completed #75Hard? It absolutely is a program for “normal” people to build that mindset. The proof is staggering.

I tried it when I was into that stuff and stopped it because it made me less "hard" instead of more.

The arbitrary rules were completely idiotic. You can complete a day by doing a 45-minute gym session and a 45-minute walk but when I had 2 hours of MMA (much harder than weightlifting or walking) or a 3-hour swimming session (much more exhausting) that only counted for one workout and I had to do one on top of that. A professional athlete wouldn't complete a day of 75 Hard because one 8-hour bike ride would count only for one workout and be less valid than two 45-minute bike rides lol.

And no dude, you aren't going to build that mindset by doing some silly things like taking cold showers or running. You'll get stronger, for sure, but you'd still be a regular human being.

You need to understand that most of these dudes are masochistic and have completely f*cked up brains.

They can't walk, get a surgery, are told to not move for 3 months or they can become disabled for life and yet they still go out and run the next day, completely disrespecting the work the surgeons put into their bodies.

Or they're dealing with severe PTSD and they deal with it by tattooing their bodies so they can use physical pain to counter mental pain.

Or they're completely fine risking or losing their lives and leaving their spouses or children to fend for themselves just for an ego trip.

I understand how appealing this philosophy is to young impressionable dudes who lack a strong father figure in life. But you aren't strong because you run with injured legs. You're just being stupid.

Silly feats of "toughness" aside, OF COURSE it's satisfying to do hard things. I've done a lot of that stuff and agree with that.

But that's besides the point. I'm not talking about pursuing big goals in life and voluntarily exposing yourself to useful, context-specific suffering. I'm talking about being impressed by guys who are very, very broken inside. They are no role models.

EngineerThis

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Nov 26, 2014
Traverse City, MI
For a time I felt that 75 hard was too easy but I think sticking with it for the whole time will do something great for me.

I've been too easy on myself for some time now and it's about time for a challenge.
Thank you for writing this post.
As did I… I eat clean, drink a lot of water, read a lot… but man doing it everyday without fail is difficult! Teaches you to say “No”. To prioritize your tasks, and do it regardless of the weather, sickness, commitments etc.
FYI I used to laugh at the people that jogged at 5am in the rain… they’re nuts! But now I’m one of them, and it’s awesome. I’ve never been a gym rat, or even had a membership… but going everyday.. my gains have been very noticeable and made some new friends too.

JordanK

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Feb 17, 2014
Ireland
I completed 75HARD and it did wonders for my confidence and self belief. Sticking to your word to yourself and seeing the challenge through really sets you up nicely in other areas of your life.

You feel better discipline in approaching business matters, more confident in leading your relationship or dating life, more confident in your health and how far you can push your body/mind.

tomzestatlu

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Nov 29, 2021
Czech republic

I agree with @Fox.
You´ve made me think about some of your points and I appreciate your perspective.
When I read headline and main post of this thread, I was like "Oh yes" and then I read through both of your posts and I am more like "Oh wait".

Of course I read books from Goggins or Jocko even though it was along the journey. The journey wasn´t ignited by any external figure, I guess.

First of all, I don´t think that any person could live Goggins life just by power of the will. It takes really serious trauma. Secondly, I don´t think that challenges as 75 hard necesarilly change a person. Why? No matter what you go through, you can always easily slip into being soft or lazy. There are so many people who always point at their previous accomplishments, especially physical. The truth is that the only thing that matters is who they are right now.
And that´s why David Goggins is so phenomenal. He knows he has to prove himself every single day until he´s dead. If someone of you complete 75 hard this year or 365 hard, nobody would care about it in 10 years, because it won´t matter. The only thing that will matter life-time is putting yourself into suffering every single that and that´s extremely scary and fascinating at the same time.

Take a look at Silvester Stallone or Arnold Schwarzeneger. They probably would be appreciated even if they looked like average men in their 70s, but I think that what´s so fascinating about their story is the fact that they are still living it with no excuses.
And they both fuel it with their childhood trauma.

I can´t post online about exact steps I took in my past, but they were definitely not "what-would-average-guy-do". And I came to a point, where I understand that putting yourself voluntarily into suffering is very healthy, but at the same time I understand that there´s more to life than endless suffering until the day I die. At least I think that I understand it.
On the other hand, I look back to those days few years ago and I´m totally drawn to them. And not in the meaning like being proud of what I´ve gone through or feeling strong. I wish I had more grit to overcome things others did and I didn´t. I only see mountains I haven´t conquered and not those I have.

And most importantly ... even though I hate being in the moment of suffering, I realized that suffering is the only moment when I feel really alive.
If you think about it, most people go through their days without noticing it´s happening. They just exist. Even during those moments that should bring joy. It´s very difficult to really feel every second. The only situation when you actually feel every second is when you immerse in deep suffering. And that equals feeling alive.

I´m not really sure where I am heading with this post. But I realize that my life feels so empty right now in comparison to those days when I lived to prove myself to me every day (by crushing myself).
And I am not saying I am lazy or something right now. I am just living more normal balanced life with other things on my mind than just crushing myself physically like I hate the person I am.

Bounce Back

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Dec 30, 2023
Florida
I agree wholly that the feeling of accomplishment brings joy and you can't trick your brain into thinking fake things can take that place. But accomplishment can vary from person to person - for some it can be simply holding your tongue when you normally would've said something rude for others it can be climbing Mt. Everest.

HoneyBadger302

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Apr 20, 2023
I've done 75 Hard multiple times, and in 2023 started a "Live Hard" year.

A week ago, halfway through the final phase (Phase 3), I decided to quit. Not a "fail" - I didn't miss any tasks, I didn't get overwhelmed with life and not be able to complete my day - I just realized, even that close to the finish line, that I was just checking off boxes for things that were doing me NO benefit at this point. For those who aren't aware, Phase 3 contains a variety of additional tasks to the usual 5 items in 75.

Checking off those boxes was pulling my attention and energy away from things that really DID matter in my life.

I saw it more as a "graduation" than quitting though. For me, I've gained plenty in the program - realizing that not getting outside even in crappy weather was just an excuse; learning to say "no" and stand by my choices even with tons of pressure from family, friends, etc to break my resolve; learned that my commitment to my choices could also bring better people into my circle who are also pushing towards their goals; I learned what I do - and don't - need at this point in my life; I learned how I could fall off the wagon around my own goals when my focus was not on MY goals....

So, I quit on day 16 of Phase 3. I set up my own Habits Tracker for the items I feel are important for me to keep up (personalized), and I keep up my daily Power List, and feel like I don't need to follow these other random programs to set my goals and stick to them anymore.

I like a fair bit of what Andy has to say, and some of his advice has literally changed my life - and I have some serious issues with some of his perspectives (especially as a woman). I like a lot of what Jocko and them have to share as well, but I'm not out here to purposefully beat up my body more than I already have/may through things I love to do, but I also know we can do more than we often think we can if we put our mind to it.

I'm weirdly proud of the fact that the program led me to feeling strong enough to call it quits that close to the end, and have zero regrets and would defend my choice to Andy's face if I had to lol. But, ultimately, I think that's really what it should be about....

MakeItHappen

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Apr 12, 2012
I tried it when I was into that stuff and stopped it because it made me less "hard" instead of more.

The arbitrary rules were completely idiotic. You can complete a day by doing a 45-minute gym session and a 45-minute walk but when I had 2 hours of MMA (much harder than weightlifting or walking) or a 3-hour swimming session (much more exhausting) that only counted for one workout and I had to do one on top of that. A professional athlete wouldn't complete a day of 75 Hard because one 8-hour bike ride would count only for one workout and be less valid than two 45-minute bike rides lol.

And no dude, you aren't going to build that mindset by doing some silly things like taking cold showers or running. You'll get stronger, for sure, but you'd still be a regular human being.

You need to understand that most of these dudes are masochistic and have completely f*cked up brains.

They can't walk, get a surgery, are told to not move for 3 months or they can become disabled for life and yet they still go out and run the next day, completely disrespecting the work the surgeons put into their bodies.

Or they're dealing with severe PTSD and they deal with it by tattooing their bodies so they can use physical pain to counter mental pain.

Or they're completely fine risking or losing their lives and leaving their spouses or children to fend for themselves just for an ego trip.

I understand how appealing this philosophy is to young impressionable dudes who lack a strong father figure in life. But you aren't strong because you run with injured legs. You're just being stupid.

Silly feats of "toughness" aside, OF COURSE it's satisfying to do hard things. I've done a lot of that stuff and agree with that.

But that's besides the point. I'm not talking about pursuing big goals in life and voluntarily exposing yourself to useful, context-specific suffering. I'm talking about being impressed by guys who are very, very broken inside. They are no role models.
Have you figured out how to have a "winning mindset" without using fuel of childhood Trauma etc.?
I mean how to be a high Performer when your have "nobody to prove wrong" and nobody to beat. If I look at top Performers Like Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant they both had the need to crush others to the Point that nothing Else mattered in there lifes...

A winning mindset based on empathy seems more attractive to me...

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Have you figured out how to have a "winning mindset" without using fuel of childhood Trauma etc.?
I mean how to be a high Performer when your have "nobody to prove wrong" and nobody to beat. If I look at top Performers Like Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant they both had the need to crush others to the Point that nothing Else mattered in there lifes...

My core philosophy these days draws heavily from freediving. It's a unique sport in that you can only be the best by being the most relaxed and the most detached from the outcome. The top guys are all super chill and don't seem to be driven by proving others wrong but simply are driven by exploration.

Maybe you can learn something from this talk by one of the best freedivers in the world, William Trubridge:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MZetpFw7qY

Alexey Molchanov is currently the best freediver and he's super, super chill, too (one of his nicknames is "the Golden Retriever" lol). Here's an interview with him:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHtqeacA3ws

These are the people I get inspired by now. They seem to be happy, peaceful, and drama-free, yet are still top performers.

EngineerThis

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Nov 26, 2014
Traverse City, MI

A week ago, halfway through the final phase (Phase 3), I decided to quit. Not a "fail" - I didn't miss any tasks, I didn't get overwhelmed with life and not be able to complete my day - I just realized, even that close to the finish line, that I was just checking off boxes for things that were doing me NO benefit at this point. For those who aren't aware, Phase 3 contains a variety of additional tasks to the usual 5 items in 75.

Checking off those boxes was pulling my attention and energy away from things that really DID matter in my life.

I saw it more as a "graduation" than quitting though. For me, I've gained plenty in the program - realizing that not getting outside even in crappy weather was just an excuse; learning to say "no" and stand by my choices even with tons of pressure from family, friends, etc to break my resolve; learned that my commitment to my choices could also bring better people into my circle who are also pushing towards their goals; I learned what I do - and don't - need at this point in my life; I learned how I could fall off the wagon around my own goals when my focus was not on MY goals....

So, I quit on day 16 of Phase 3. I set up my own Habits Tracker for the items I feel are important for me to keep up (personalized), and I keep up my daily Power List, and feel like I don't need to follow these other random programs to set my goals and stick to them anymore.

I like a fair bit of what Andy has to say, and some of his advice has literally changed my life - and I have some serious issues with some of his perspectives (especially as a woman). I like a lot of what Jocko and them have to share as well, but I'm not out here to purposefully beat up my body more than I already have/may through things I love to do, but I also know we can do more than we often think we can if we put our mind to it.

I'm weirdly proud of the fact that the program led me to feeling strong enough to call it quits that close to the end, and have zero regrets and would defend my choice to Andy's face if I had to lol. But, ultimately, I think that's really what it should be about....
Sounds like you did graduate :) that’s awesome, congratulations! That’s exactly what the program is about. It’s awesome you don’t need it anymore!

EngineerThis

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Nov 26, 2014
Traverse City, MI

You don’t need to crush others. Just your ego. You are your worst enemy, crush that person, love others :)

EngineerThis

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Nov 26, 2014
Traverse City, MI
My core philosophy these days draws heavily from freediving. It's a unique sport in that you can only be the best by being the most relaxed and the most detached from the outcome. The top guys are all super chill and don't seem to be driven by proving others wrong but simply are driven by exploration.

Maybe you can learn something from this talk by one of the best freedivers in the world, William Trubridge:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MZetpFw7qY

Alexey Molchanov is currently the best freediver and he's super, super chill, too (one of his nicknames is "the Golden Retriever" lol). Here's an interview with him:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHtqeacA3ws

These are the people I get inspired by now. They seem to be happy, peaceful, and drama-free, yet are still top performers.
You would like Cameron Haynes, I promise.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
David Goggins, Jocko Wilnik, Cameron Haynes, Andy Friscilla all have something in common

Yes, they all have one thing in common besides their psychotic/PTSD-infused experiences and/or traumatic childhood, and that's the fact that they're all selling you something : Courses, masterclasses, merch, public speaking bookings.

These guys know that the eCommerce/get-rich-quick guru marketing angle is overused, so they crafted their brand based on the go-hard-or-go-home identity. Military elements, oozing testosterone (yes, young aspiring men get wet at this word), the no-nonsense traditional/conservative tough guy vibe. Guess what? Their target demographic is the exact same audience as Black Riffle Coffee lol.

They try to out-tough one another : if Goggins is running a full marathon in Ohio while there's a Cat5 hurricane, the rest of his industry counterparts will one-up him by doing one-arm muscle-up on an erupting volcano, or free-falling from a plane (without any skydiving gear or parachute) into the Atlantic. There'll be a camera crew filming them (yes, always has to be one), so that their sheep can lap it up and get more drawn to the brand they're crafting. The sales funnel!

They need to do this; that's what their entire branding is based around. Create a tribe, build a community, sell your gear and courses to them. People aren't attracted to normal stuff, they want something crazy and extreme!

The 'Shop' section of their individual websites just prove this, and I LOLed at Andy Frisella's Shop section on his website: it even has the classic shot showing him in a suit ("I'm an entrepreneur who made it") and that Porsche behind him ("Look at how my Porsche pulls girls").

Meanwhile, on Cameron's home page, the first thing he does is to sell his merch, everything from caps to air fresheners lol Thanks for the laugh, Cameron!

Exact same old marketing **** like the gurus of the early 2010s but with a different angle, targeted at a different demographic, but still the same.

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
I think a lot of these guys (goggins specifically) get celebrated for a socially acceptable form of 'trauma expression'.

(not to knock Goggins, he has my respect)

I say this as someone who hasn't missed a day of gym in 13 years and eats perfectly 99.9% of the time. But you know what? It's not discipline, it's a reliable way to get out of my noisy overactive mind and force focus onto my body.

From the outside it looks like discipline, truly it's a coping mechanism.

You get to where you want to go, by doing the thing that gets you closer to your goal (even when you don't feel like it).

It can turn into a lot of noise, trying to 'stay hard' - cardio, lifting, sauna, meditation, ice plunge etc (all of which I love).

There are a few actions each day that have a disproportionate effect on you reaching your goals, focus there. Make that your hard thing, and I'd bet life would bring a lot more fulfilment over the long run.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
@MTF you’ve done a complete 180 and sound like you are about to launch a comfort club newsletter :rofl: I love it

I have a friend who’s doing things your way and believe me I’d take his life over Andy’s or Goggins. People forget why we are doing this sometimes.

I did 75 hard and failed on day 45 because I forgot to take a photo because I decided not to use my phone that night. It was the most miserable, unhealthy and unproductive time in my life.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
I will say this: everythig you talked about has nothing to do with business success, and it’s merely a distraction.

You cannot train yourself to be successful in business by being successful at something else — one would think that would be intuitively obvious.

If business success is what you’re after, it’s easy — work on your business 24/7. I’ve done that for years. You will be successful. And yes, the process will be very painful too. Especially once your business starts getting bigger I guarantee that you’ll ALWAYS find something else to do.

There almost never is a time when I can say I’ve got nothing to do. It’s always that there is too much to do. The bigger you get, the more options you have.

Most people when they get bigger lose their drive. Then they chill and “pretend” to work hard. But they really don’t.

Get clear on why you’re doing #75HARD — if your goal is business success, then drop it, and focus on business. You don’t need any mindset to be successful in business.

You will find rich people who are extremely petty and jealous. Some who lack confidence. Others who have no discipline whatsoever. Because all those traits are not causative of success in business in any way.

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Dec 3, 2018
UK

I think you learned the most important thing you can from these people and challenges: make it a challenge for what you want to do with your life.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
I will say this: everythig you talked about has nothing to do with business success, and it’s merely a distraction.

You cannot train yourself to be successful in business by being successful at something else — one would think that would be intuitively obvious.

If business success is what you’re after, it’s easy — work on your business 24/7. I’ve done that for years. You will be successful. And yes, the process will be very painful too. Especially once your business starts getting bigger I guarantee that you’ll ALWAYS find something else to do.

There almost never is a time when I can say I’ve got nothing to do. It’s always that there is too much to do. The bigger you get, the more options you have.

Most people when they get bigger lose their drive. Then they chill and “pretend” to work hard. But they really don’t.

Get clear on why you’re doing #75HARD — if your goal is business success, then drop it, and focus on business. You don’t need any mindset to be successful in business.

You will find rich people who are extremely petty and jealous. Some who lack confidence. Others who have no discipline whatsoever. Because all those traits are not causative of success in business in any way.
I like Alex Hormozi when he talks about his morning routine

I wake up, have a coffee, and get to work

EngineerThis

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Nov 26, 2014
Traverse City, MI

I understand what you saying but, many people.. Myself included, flat out don't know how to just work on my business all day.. I realize that sounds funny but it's true! I wasn't raised with discipline or self-control, and public school/corporate jobs beat me into submission.. My work ethic is great but my Focus is nonexistent, and my craving for distraction and pleasure is strong. This is why I started on this program to build mental toughness, learn to prioritize, learn to grind, and learn to say no.. And I'll tell you what, it works!!! Never in my life have I felt this strong and focused. It is apparent in my business too, my effort and creativity has been 10x what it was before. Again I know it sounds funny, but I did not know how to work on my business all day before I started this. That's exactly why Andy created this program, which is 100% free mind you.

HoneyBadger302

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Apr 20, 2023
I understand what you saying but, many people.. Myself included, flat out don't know how to just work on my business all day.. I realize that sounds funny but it's true! I wasn't raised with discipline or self-control, and public school/corporate jobs beat me into submission.. My work ethic is great but my Focus is nonexistent, and my craving for distraction and pleasure is strong. This is why I started on this program to build mental toughness, learn to prioritize, learn to grind, and learn to say no.. And I'll tell you what, it works!!! Never in my life have I felt this strong and focused. It is apparent in my business too, my effort and creativity has been 10x what it was before. Again I know it sounds funny, but I did not know how to work on my business all day before I started this. That's exactly why Andy created this program, which is 100% free mind you.

I actually have to agree with this, some of us aren't born/raised/equipped to pull it off. Add personalities or other things like ADHD, and just "getting up and doing what we should" while still trying to do everything else is not something everyone is equipped to or prepared to manage.

I needed the structure of someone else's program or challenge, and the physical is an easy way to help people develop that. In this particular case, Andy had his businesses rolling before he came up with 75, he didn't need it to build a business, he needed it to keep his own health a priority, so came up with his own little challenge, and when he shared it, well, others jumped on the bandwagon because they needed to learn more self discipline than they had as well.

No, it's not for everyone, and the cult following is sometimes hilarious, but to throw the entire premise out because "you" didn't need it is narrow minded imo.

Between several rounds of this, and my power list, I feel equipped to take things into my own hands and keep running with it, but I can promise I NEVER would have figured it out on my own, or learned as much about myself and how to deal with my own short comings, what does and doesn't work for me in such a limited amount of time without those two things.

I would never have read MJ's book if it wasn't for 75 either..... because I always viewed self development books as frufru bs and never went to that book section to begin with....

It may not be for "you," and "you" may not need it, but it has definitely helped some of us figure some stuff out other things simply didn't drill into our heads the same way.

Last edited:

Panos Daras

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Oct 10, 2022
They seem to be happy, peaceful, and drama-free, yet are still top performers.
Sign me up for this club anytime. I am super fed up with the drama llamas, stay hard, get after it, no process, self-destruction club. Thanks for the videos @MTF I could listen to these guys speak for hours on end.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.