• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. The forum software will be upgraded on Sunday May 26th and may not look normal during the transition. Some functionality may be offline. This is TEMPORARY and is expected to last up to 8 hours.
  2. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

BOOK Can't Hurt Me: by David Goggins, Review and Discussion

Discussion in 'Book Reviews, Discussion, Analysis' started by MJ DeMarco, Dec 26, 2018.

1. MTF

MTF Never give up Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $82,693
    Oh man, that sounds very painful.

My primary goal as a rock climber is to get stronger and leaner so gaining mass is not really my priority.

But for gaining mass, it doesn't really matter whether you do calisthenics or lift weights; it's all about the overload principle and a proper diet and you can achieve it with bodyweight exercises, too.

Maybe it's not as straightforward as putting one more plate on your barbell, but it forces you to be more conscious about how you perform your workouts (simply adjusting your form slightly can make a bodyweight exercise much more difficult).

I now follow my own plan based on Convict Conditioning and Get Strong by Kavadlo brothers that takes into account my own goals related to the sports I practice. I recommend both books as a good compendium of bodyweight exercises, including how to progress (for example, there are countless ways to make regular push-ups much harder).

ZF Lee, MJ DeMarco and LuckyPup like this.
  2. andviv

andviv Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $3,421
    My Rating: 5 stars out of 5 stars
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Format: Audible

My thoughts/review:
    I loved the way he described his hacking of his mindset. I have personally his that "wall" many times and hear to the voice of reason saying "nope, this is it, this is your limit" but, listening to his story, I can understand better the need to overcome this alert system and just move forward and push beyond my comfort zone.

Favorite (or least favorite) chapter:
    The chapter about the mental governor and what controls our "need" to stop as a precaution to avoid the pain. The 40% rule was fascinating and a great way for me to understand that this is a fake limitation and that we can do way more than what we tell ourselves.

Main takeaway:
    My potential is way beyond what my self imposed limitations dictate.

3. ChrisJHarrington

ChrisJHarrington Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,427
    hilarious - i haven't logged in here in a bit.. and then i see this hovering on the front page when i do. I read this 2 weeks ago and loved it. Most people don't work hard enough and find excuses, Goggins did the opposite and made himself into someone he should have never became.

ZF Lee and UnrealCreative like this.
  4. million$$$smile

million$$$smile Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $58,969
    I really liked it.

I didn't read it to gain wisdom on personal growth, nor how to develop a new killer mindset. I read it more as an autobiography of his life, and what he did to overcome some extremely dysfunctional circumstances in his early years.

I would have to agree that it sounds like he might be totally lacking in the personal relationship department, but who wouldn't be if they grew up in a similar situation. He had absolutely no control in his youth, so he grew up trying to control his mental and physical body. His focus on that particular aspect seems like he never learned what entails relationship, basically because there were no sustaining foundation of a loving relationship in his early life. I mean, read about the 100,000 child soldiers of Africa. Would one expect most of these soldiers to ever have sustaining non-dysfunctional relationships in later years?

Goggin's has definitely overcome a lot from where he came from, and most likely has some demons to conquer in other areas of his life. He even mentions on Audible how hard it was for him to pull these memories back up and relive them. Almost anyone that has been abused has a hard time in the relationship department without some counseling.

He has extreme mental toughness that he has learned to develop.
    I respect and admire that.
    I can understand it might even make some uncomfortable for other reasons already stated, but there are many others that have been high achievers in business also and other areas of their life are in chaos, just look at J. Paul Getty or Howard Hughes or some celebrities, politicians, or priests.

Best Takeaway:
    For me it was pretty simple.
    When you're ready to quit, just put one foot in front of the other and keep going...

jwhanke, MJ DeMarco, ZF Lee and 4 others like this.
  5. Kung Fu Steve

Kung Fu Steve Platinum Contributor Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $29,255
    My Rating: 2.5 stars out of 5 stars
    :star::star::star: :xx::xx:

Format: Audible

My thoughts/review:

The book was okay. He's not the most elegant communicator but message received.

More than Goggins' story... I spent the entire read extremely nostalgic of my martial arts training days.

We used to run 10 miles every morning and do plyometrics for an hour or so before breakfast. In those days I was working out 8 hours per day at least. Training and exercising. 5,000 some pushups, situps, and tuck jumps every single day.

For months on end...

I remember the bruising and the soreness and the smell of tiger balm and the knees the sizes of watermelons... I just wouldn't change it for the world. In those moments of pain during training I was in bliss.

I can understand where his mindset was... and I can understand the sacrifices it took in my personal life to do that.

I liked the stories more than anything. The "challenges" were lacking in my eyes but once again I think that's just the lack of skills in communicating those ideas.

Main takeaway:

I need to hit the gym more.

ZF Lee likes this.
  6. MashaN

MashaN Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $416
    We talk a lot about how to win others. Whether it's in friendships, business, sales etc. But I think it's as important to understand the strategy of winning our own mind. The principle of push vs pull, that is so effective when it comes to attracting others is as relevant when it comes to setting the right mechanics for our mind AND BODY, to be congruent with everything we put it through. When it comes to David Goggin's, it feels to me like there's only one switch - accepting physical and mental suffering at any cost.
    That is not to suggest that we should avoid struggle and suffering. The struggle, without a doubt, is one of the 'ingredients' to growth. But it is by far not the only one.

7. KSR

KSR Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,196
    My Rating: 5 stars out of 5 stars
    :star::star::star::star::star:
    (The STAR/X emojis are under the emoji icon, under "commenting icons.")

Format:
    Kindle

My thoughts/review:
    As you can tell from my rating that I liked 'Can't Hurt Me' by David Goggins quite extensively. It really opened up my eyes to my capabilities and to not limit them, regardless of my upbringing or circumstances. In the book, Goggins' focuses on several points which I'll mention in the main takeaway section, the book however was written well and kept my attention for longer than any book has (I read it in 6 days, faster than I've read any other book that's over 300 pages). I could barely put it down to say the least.

I thought at times the chapters dragged on and bragged about his accomplishments rather than adding to the story or the message, but for the most part I found 95% of the book wanting me to find out what's going to happen next; will he finally get initiated into the SEALS? Will he finally navigate through the damn woods in the Rangers? Will he be able to complete the Badwater Ultra?

I was recommended to read this book by my sister's husband, and I couldn't thank him enough. 'Can't hurt me' has changed my life immensely in such a short amount of time, I'm no longer limiting myself as a human; whether that's through business, mentally or physically. I'm now doing double gym sessions in the mornings instead of just one, because if Goggins can run 100's of miles with fractured feet, I can F*cking put in an extra hour every morning.

Read this book to change your life.

I honestly couldn't choose my favourite chapter. I loved so many, especially the ones to do with him and his time serving or improving his skillsets through different military chapters.

Main takeaway:
    The main takeaway for me was that us as humans are becoming way too soft in everyday life. We get offended, we give up, we take the path of least resistance. F*ck that.

There are several points throughout the book that are key takings:
    • We only use 40% of our body's capabilities, keep pushing
    • Break free of circumstance, luck is what you make of it
    • Stretch! It can save your F*cking life
    • Always keep learning and never settle for anything less than your best self

If you need a real big F*cking kick up the a$$, this book is for you. If you have life figured out and you think you're where you need to be, this book is for you; because I can guarantee that you can be better.

MJ DeMarco likes this.
  8. ygtrhos

ygtrhos Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $516
    My Rating: 4 stars out of 5 stars
    :star::star::star::star::xx:

Format:
    Audible

My thoughts/review:
    I think the book is a great story, but I had many moments where I had "oh, you are such a douchebag to say/do that".

Praise: I think his story is very inspiring. Like very, very. The dude has done incredible things by sheer will and hustle. Losing so much weight, passing that goddamn test, surviving Hell Week three times and joining delta, and walking 100 miles without training. Like WOW!

Criticism: I think a person who has never achieved anything in life might listen/read this and say "oh yeah, the only thing I should do is to PUSH,PUSH and PUSH" which is a terribly wrong strategy. I think he is very reckless, unplanned and unorganized, I really did not like this. He could have easily gotten a permanent disability at some point of his life. No success is worth that for me. I have actually seen that there are higher values than success for me in life.

Least favorite is this chapter where he tells his 100 mile run with no training, where he pushed himself to a kidney failure almost. So stupid... He should have actually told that as a bad example of how to succeed.

Most favorite is this chapter where he talks about his epic weight loss and his studies for the test. That was really epic.

Main takeaway:
    You can always achieve incredible things with the will to work on it, no matter where you start. The turtle beats the rabbit.

9. Ninjakid

Ninjakid Platinum Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $12,531
    This.

I stopped lifting heavy weights for exactly this reason. I got sick of being in pain everyday, I would get swelling in my tendons that would last for days and every move being agony.

There's way better ways to be fit than destroying one's body.

Andy Black likes this.
  10. PedroG

PedroG Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $4,558
    I'm listening to the audio book right now (about half way).

At the risk of coming off as a hater, I gotta say I was shaking my head the whole time he was describing what he went through during that race where he almost killed himself, for no F*cking reason.

I understand that he can teach us a lot about pushing through and accomplishing what we think is impossible, but that shit right there in that race, was completely unnecessary.

Risking his life for absolutely no reason! Didn't he also have a kid at that point? And then he was refusing to be taken to the hospital when he was pissing black liquid??

Am I supposed to applaud that shit? Cause to me it seems he just got a kick out of punishing himself for no reason. Someone who has truly mastered their mind doesn't need to do something like that to prove a point.

Sorry, I just had to come here and see if anyone agrees at least with that one part in the book.

Andy Black, MustImprove and Kruiser like this.
  11. PedroG

PedroG Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $4,558
    Cool, I'm glad I wasn't the only one. I replied without having read anyone else's thoughts on the book.

As I said in my previous post, the guy hasn't mastered his mind at all. Someone who has doesn't do this to himself. As he's pissing black liquid, he even says he felt that was his trophy?? And that's why he didn't want to go to the hospital, because he didn't want pain pills? The guy is screwed up, not someone to look up to.

I don't think I'll be finishing the book.

12. Neng Her

Neng Her Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $0
    My biggest takeaway was stretching. It healed my left shoulder which feels like it was torn for almost a year now.

AmericanSpartan and ZF Lee like this.
  13. luniac

luniac Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $12,606
    to be fair, Goggins states in the book to not be crazy like him.

ZF Lee likes this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.