The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Can't Hurt Me: by David Goggins, Review and Discussion

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Almost an entire week of watching/listening to Goggins several hours each day.

It was very valuable, though. I've learned many things I didn't know that weren't covered in the book. I now understand him much better and have taken away a lot of new lessons for myself.
Can you take snippets from those podcasts and create a video out of them, with b-roll video of him doing things related to what he's talking about? I'm sure there's copyright issues to think about, but how would you do it so people rush to share it with David himself and he's *delighted* to see it?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Can you take snippets from those podcasts and create a video out of them, with b-roll video of him doing things related to what he's talking about? I'm sure there's copyright issues to think about, but how would you do it so people rush to share it with David himself and he's *delighted* to see it?

Thanks for the suggestion.

David wouldn't give a F*ck :D The guy literally goes on social media once a week (at best) to post a new video and then he's gone. I'm pretty sure that any other activity on his social media (like reposts) is done by his fiancée.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thanks for the suggestion.

David wouldn't give a F*ck :D The guy literally goes on social media once a week (at best) to post a new video and then he's gone. I'm pretty sure that any other activity on his social media (like reposts) is done by his fiancée.
Something like this:

View: https://youtu.be/Qa_4c9zrxf0

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
I read Goggins book but I think a book that offers even more insight into the type of guy he was the Living With a Seal book. Goggins comes across as totally nuts in that book.

spferrarini

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Oct 25, 2022
My Rating: 4 stars out of 5 stars
:star::star::star::star::xx:
Format: Paperback

My thoughts/review:
I read this book over the summer and overall, was an interesting read to learn about David's story, and there were also some great takeaways. The stories David told about the struggles he overcame in life, from abuse as a child, to Navy Seal training, ultra marathon races, etc. were very entertaining and inspiring. Prior to reading this book, I think we all knew what we were going to get, but a good read nonetheless.

Favorite Chapter:
It's been a couple of months since I read this so I don't remember exact chapters, but the detailed "hell week" Navy SEAL training was absolutely captivating. He painted a grueling picture of how intense and rigorous that SEAL training really is.

Main Takeaway:
Goggins helped me to realize that our minds can play tricks on us, and limit how far we can really push ourselves mentally and physically. We are quick to make excuses or give up on things when in reality, we have really only tapped in to what we are capable of. This book motivated me to step up my workouts and take on my first half-marathon. I completed a 2 month training program and the half-marathon over the summer, and I have this book to thank for giving me the motivation to go for it!

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
My Rating: 1 stars out of 5 stars
:star::xx::xx::xx::xx:

Format: Kindle

The book itself, is ZERO stars. But it gets 1 star because of David's persistence and mental toughness, and of course, his service to the military.

My thoughts/review:

Utterly brutal. So brutal, is it is the only book I ever tried to return back to Amazon. I'll never get back those hours I spent reading this book.

Normally, this is a book I would NOT finish, but this new review format we've launched here on the forum I felt compelled to finish it. In the latter chapters, I started skimming when it was clear it was more of the same.

That said, what we have here is a book that is 90% longer than it needs to be. For those of you who don't want to waste HOURS of your time reading this absolutely trainwreck of a book, let me give you a TLDR:
  1. Encounter tough challenge, some of it shock-worthy.
  2. Give excruciating details on how to deal, beat, manage that said challenge, from lacing your shoes, to your breathing, to how you just happened to wrap your hands up with tape, foam, or whatever. Repeat same stuff, over, and over, and over again. (This represents 95% of the book)
  3. When tough challenge isn't found, seek one out.
  4. Enter challenge unprepared, unplanned.
  5. Repeat ad nauseum.
Oh yea, then the meat (which is about .08% of this book -- add in some mental exercise to help you break your mental obstacles.)

By the end of the story, I felt sorry for David and he likely suffers from some type of mental illness.

Here is someone who truly does NOT know how to relax and clearly lacks perspective on what truly matters in life.

Some things that irked me...
  • David recklessly takes on challenges with little preparation. It is only after failing miserably (and damaging his body) is when he suddenly figures out, "Oh gee, maybe I should plan and prepare better."
  • David cares little about ANYTHING when it comes to beating some external challenge, running in the desert, pull-ups, running in the snow, etc. EVERYTHING IN HIS LIFE that doesn't fall into the future challenge category, is a secondary commodity in his life: his time, his relationships, his health, and his mental sanity.
  • He makes little mention of his wives, which as I expected, later became ex-wives. It is impossible for any person to be this neurotic and be able to hold a normal relationship. If nothing changes, David will probably either be single for the rest of his life, or only be engaged in dysfunctional relationships.
  • This poor man is lost in his head and has little perspective. He's pathological. Neurotic. Clinical.
  • David appears to have a glorified, sanitized view of combat as he mentions several times that he wanted to be in combat but was not called up for it. This (again) shows his lack of perspective -- combat is killing other human beings. No sane human being should want to do this.
  • In the same vain of perspective, no mention of his child. Does David approach his relationships with those he loves with the same zealotry? Wife? Child? Clearly he does not. Goes back again to perspective.
  • It makes ZERO sense to me how someone could waste their life with transient challenges that have transient benefits. In other words, you're working your a$$ off for a trophy? A mental checkmark in your head? WTF? David even says this: "Evaluate your life in its totality. We all waste so much time doing meaningless bullshit!" OMG, my mouth hit the floor. But wasting your entire year (and your relationships) to run X miles in the desert isn't meaningful bullshit? For the love of God, if you're going to disrupt your life, make sure the benefits last longer than a pat on the back, a certificate on the wall, and a mental trophy. For me, "meaningless bullshit" are stupid vanity competitions that help no one but the person doing them.
  • The book is deceptively titled: Should be titled: "My Excruciating Detailed Trials and Tribulations in Trying to Conquer My Inner Demons as a Navy Seal and Full Time Extreme Athlete."
  • With so many poor decisions he made, utterly destructive to his health/body, I feel he's lucky to be alive. I doubt he'll have a good quality of life as he gets older.
Favorite (or least favorite) chapter:

The last chapter, because that means it was almost done.

Main takeaway:

I'd recommend this book for something OTHER than its purpose.

Hey, you wanna see what it's like to lose perspective on things that matter? Read this book...
Hey, you wanna see what it's like to WIN every battle, but still lose the WAR? Read this book...
Hey, you wanna see someone be reckless with their health just for some mental trophies? Read this book...

Aside from the pathological issues David has, he doesn't seem to employ his own advice as I mentioned above. If you're going to neglect everything in your life, perhaps get something from it that lasts longer than 9 seconds of "I did it!" Obviously this method of achievement hasn't satisfied him. Because it continues. And it continued despite his body CRYING FOR HELP.

In other words, this is a case of the MORES, goals that are always moving. David is a chronic goalpost mover who will never be satisfied, will never relax, and will never stop living in the FUTURE.

David needs to read The Power of Now by Eckart Tolle.

To sum it up, if you want to read a book about a man who WINS self-inflicted battle after battle, but can't quite understand while he continually feels like he is LOSING the war, read this book.

This seems relevant...

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
This seems relevant...

He features quite prominently in a chapter of my new book.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
Both books are great! Never finished was my favorite.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.