The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

BOOK REVIEW Can't Hurt Me: by David Goggins, Review and Discussion

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Just look at TheMiracle Morning, the book you so highly rave about. You think he thought about quitting after his car crash? You think had the doctors told him to slow down he would’ve listened?

There is a difference between crashing your car once by mistake and doing it on purpose every second weekend.

By your standards no one should climb Mount Everest because it’s a “medical no-no” lol

That isn't what he is saying. One person does proper training and waits for the right weather window. Goggins decides to climb anyway when a storm is blowing in - YOLO.

It isn't necessarily what he is doing - it is that he does it in a reckless way that adds unnecessary risk.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
There is a difference between crashing your car once by mistake and doing it on purpose every second weekend.
I’m pretty sure he wouldn’t be doing it if he didn’t think he’d have a high rate of survival.

But again we’re going off topic. No one, not even David is advocating following his exact footsteps. The man is something else.

But to give his book 1 star out of five stars, is just insanity.

You can’t tell me there’s NOTHING of worth you can find from his story.

If that’s the case then I truly do PITY you.

ZF Lee

Platinum Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
By your standards no one should climb Mount Everest because it’s a “medical no-no” lol
Well, its a medical no-no for those who haven't trained enough or at least tried out climbing mountains on a more regular basis.

(in the case of non-Himalayan natives, climbers might work on conquering the highest mountains in their own countries or other mountains with a similar cold environment first)

For Goggins' case, I found it rather weird that he hopped into his first marathons thinking his SEAL training and physique would see him through, without adjusting his training (if any)...but marathons are a whole different horse to ride.

I’m pretty sure he wouldn’t be doing it if he didn’t think he’d have a high rate of survival.

But again we’re going off topic. No one, not even David is advocating following his exact footsteps. The man is something else.

But to give his book 1 star out of five stars, is just insanity.

If that’s the case then I truly do PITY you.
I guess MJ prefers something more instructional.
Try reading Atomic Habits by James Clear. That's the book we studied after Goggins.
I still learn something from it every time I read it.

Black_Dragon43

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Apr 28, 2017
Eastern Europe
There’s millions of people that defy the odds against doctors orders. You’re telling me they should just sit back and ACCEPT their fate that they’ll never be able to walk again because a doctor said so?

Get real.
As I said in a previous post, it's not WHAT he does, so much as HOW he goes about doing it that is the problem. When faced with a choice between scenario A and scenario B, he always chooses the one that is more inconvenient or more dangerous, for no reason except that it is inconvenient and dangerous. Say you are climbing Mount Everest as @Fox said above. If he has the choice between waiting till the storm is over and then continuing his climb, or going through the storm, he will choose going through the storm. And not because it will get him to the top faster, but because it will be more painful.

If he has the choice between sitting in the bath tub when he is ill to enjoy the pain and contemplate his achievements, he will do that, rather than choose to go to the doctor and get treatment.

And unlike MJ somewhere above, I don't think I'd want to even be in a foxhole with him. The guy has shown a clear predilection for for gambling with his life just for the sake of it. Can you imagine... "shall we wait till nighttime for our raid on the enemy's base so that we're not seen?" - "No, let's go now, what are we, pussies?"

There‘s literally a book written about him called “Living With A Seal”! Someone admires him so much as a friend and someone to look up to that he WROTE A BOOK ABOUT HIM.
It's not because he is a friend or someone he looks up to that he wrote that book. He wrote that book to show how tough HE is, that he hangs around tough people, etc.

Nobody said that though - obviously the grit, determination, and perseverance are facets that everyone admires. But you don't need to be onboard for his lack of perspective to admire those qualities.

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
As I said in a previous post, it's not WHAT he does, so much as HOW he goes about doing it that is the problem. When faced with a choice between scenario A and scenario B, he always chooses the one that is more inconvenient or more dangerous, for no reason except that it is inconvenient and dangerous. Say you are climbing Mount Everest as @Fox said above. If he has the choice between waiting till the storm is over and then continuing his climb, or going through the storm, he will choose going through the storm. And not because it will get him to the top faster, but because it will be more painful.

If he has the choice between sitting in the bath tub when he is ill to enjoy the pain and contemplate his achievements, he will do that, rather than choose to go to the doctor and get treatment.

And unlike MJ somewhere above, I don't think I'd want to even be in a foxhole with him. The guy has shown a clear predilection for for gambling with his life just for the sake of it. Can you imagine... "shall we wait till nighttime for our raid on the enemy's base so that we're not seen?" - "No, let's go now, what are we, pussies?"

It's not because he is a friend or someone he looks up to that he wrote that book. He wrote that book to show how tough HE is, that he hangs around tough people, etc.

Nobody said that though - obviously the grit, determination, and perseverance are facets that everyone admires. But you don't need to be onboard for his lack of perspective to admire those qualities.
Lmao dude you need to get out more

You honestly think a navy seal would rush out of stupidity? Go read the book then come back here and say whatever comes to your head lol

RocketRose

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Aug 13, 2020
Ireland
This was my first book on audible this year. In the beginning I used to listen at night time and would fall asleep. I found the first few chapters really good but didn't absorb the actions to take. I really connected with his back story which is so valuable to share. I took a break for awhile and after listening to Unscripted for the 1st time, I went back to it. Then main things that helped me was the Cookie jar - evidence of past achievements and overall mindset. I think if you are stuck in a rutt or feeling down, his words and the views shared in the podcasts at the end of every chapter can be so beneficial if you take action shortly after and be consistent.

I would give it 4 out of 5 stars, it holds a special place in my heart as the beginning of my journey to unscription but it was Unscripted that spurred me on to revisit it after my first attempt.

StewartHemmings

New Contributor
Oct 26, 2020
David Goggins has some seriously insane accomplishments:

Participated in 3 Navy SEALS BUD/S, and therefore completed 3 Hell Weeks (he failed the first two due to injuries)
Certified US Army Ranger
Completed an ultramarathon in 19 hours, despite not having completed a marathon before. (He has since gone on to compete in more ultramarathons)
Competed as an Ironman athlete, even though he had never cycled competitively.
Held the Guinness World Record for most number of pull-ups in 24 hours (He did a total of 4,030 in 17 hours)

I would have loved it even better if he had kept it as a memoir, instead of trying to add in some "takeaways" to try to create some kind of fake social sharing and promotion.

Martin.G

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jan 31, 2019
Argentina
I loved this book, I read it last year around this date and probably I read it again this year or in the next months. There are a lot of important things to learn from it, like how to achieve a lot without having been prepared. It's very inspirational to read about how he completed an ultra marathon without training or try 3 times the Navy SEALS BUD/S, among other things.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2020
My friend was just looking for this information. Thanks
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
If you read the last message then you know I'm removing my courses from Udemy next month. You...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
This program helped me to triple my revenue over 7 months while also moving to a new city in the...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
PS. what do you think about the idea of setting up live Busking experiences on Air BNB? I could...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
Hi Mj, I just bought it. And reading it. I think is a great idea to write using the stories to...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
@Kak Thanks for the reply. Whats interesting is that I have an idea that's been cooking which...

Forum Sponsor

sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom