The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Freelancer work suggestions and tips

AJ.

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Sep 5, 2010
Hello everyone,

I have seem some posts asking how to develop a website, or an app, or some programming software.

I have had very good experiences using freelancers, so I would like to put them out here.
It would also be cool if others could add their tips and "best practices".
(apologies in advance if there's a thread like this already)

There are many websites where you can hook-up with freelancers.
ODesk.com for example.

I always use vWorker.com, from the days it was GetAFreelancer.com
I'm sure the others are just as good... yet I've always had a good experience with vWorker, so I stick with it.

Once you go through the registration process and everything, you can post your project.
vWorker (and I'm sure the others) have categories that you checkmark which apply to your project.

Graphics design? Programming? Programming in C++? Java? Javascript? Perl? Legal writing? (never tried this one), etc.
Pic the categories that best apply.

Now, something I think has helped me a lot is that I divide the project into small chunks.

Don't post a full project asking for a copy of, say, eBay.com
You will send the freelancer all your money, and it will NOT be a finished product.

Yet, if you divide it into small chunks, it's much more manageable.

Recent Example: I went online with a website with around 14-16 pages, in WordPress, for under $200.

First, I bought the domain in my host of preference (my case being BlueHost.com)
(for the love of all the world's emotional support ponies, please don't use GoDaddy)

Once I had the domain, I posted the project.
The project posting was for a "Full copy of WEBSITE.com"
Max bid amount was $100

A lot of people posted saying they could do it.
Watch our for copy/paste posters. These are people that will post an "awesome" reply to loads of jobs.
Look for the ones that say something like "I looked at WEBSITE.com, and I see you want to copy it with WordPress (or Joomla!, or COBOL, or whatever). I can do that, please look at my portfolio."

Send them one private message about the job: You think you can get it done in 5 days? or, Can it be done with a readily available software package like WordPress?

Keep out for the time being the linking to YouTube, Facebook, and Twitter. That will be a different, smaller job.

Once you pick your worker, change the passwords you need (or create accounts just for him), and send them over.
He should start working asap.

Keep checking 2-3 times per day how it's going... the progress should be live in YOURwebsite.com
(maybe... depends in the case... yet generally, why not?)

The example project (website) I got done for under $200, the first project was the copy for $100
The guy got it fully done, yet didn't copy the content of the pages.
In private message exchanges, he said that wasn't part of his job.
What part of "full copy of WEBSITE.com" he didn't understand, I don't know.

YET! The basic of the website was up... all for $100
So instead of arguing, I just closed the project as 100% done, gave him a 10star review, and finished.
As soon as I did that, I closed-up his accounts, and/or changed passwords.

Ok, so now I needed the content copied.
You guessed it... another job.

"Content copy from WEBSITE.com"
Description: I have the basic copy of WEBSITE.com done, yet I want somebody to copy all the content over. Down to images, text, functionality, etc."
Max bid: $40

So I got a nice person from Argentina to do it.
This person did it in like 24 hours, I kid you not.
I checked... small fix here and there... yet it was done.

$140 so far.

After playing with the website some more later, I had a "Freelancer To Do" list.
I had like 8 items that needed work. Either things to be changed, modified, created, or... generally done.

I then posted another project, for $40
"Modifications to WordPress installation"
Chose a different worker this time... he completed everything in about 3 days.

Now, I needed the logo.
Posted another project for the logo, max bid $20
I got a guy from India to do it... his portfolio was impressive.
I sent various images of what I wanted... and super crude drafts done by me of how I wanted the elements.
It's better to give them SOMETHING, even if it's crude, rather than say "Yeah, I want something that looks cool with a blue zing going over the gravity hoop." C'mon man... give them something to work from!
About 6 hours later, I had my logo, with Photoshop files with all the elements separated into layers.

And with that, a full website was up. $200

I think the biggest I can say is to separate everything into small chunks.

Where I am at (USA), local web developers want $5,000 for a website.
Problem is, after you fork over $5,000 and they "finish", you are STILL going to have that "Freelancer To Do" list.
And these guys are going to charge you $2,000 for those modifications.
It's insane.

Another note: I wouldn't judge people from what country they're from.
I have worked with people from Romania, Pakistan, UK, USA, Canada, Argentina, Colombia, Israel, Japan, France, etc. etc.
Communicate with them... talk to them.

I have never had a problem with "time zone" differences.
Just be good and clear in your communications.

If I was going to do a phone app... I would start with Android.
Make a $150 project for the BASIC functionality of what you want.
Do you need servers? Do you have them? If not, get them.
Do they have to do server-side coding?
Well, maybe do the server-side coding first, then the app.

After the $150 job, then do a "Freelancer To Do" list of things to change.
Keep it under 10 items.
Post another $100 job for these items.

Then reiterate with the same.
Another To Do list... another $100 job.

With under $500, you should have a 90%ish finished product.

I know I have left a lot out... and I wanted this post to be much more structured... yet I'd rather throw this out there and have it in your eyes.

Hope this helps somehow!

Best to all... god speed ahead... and go get yer Ferraris/Lambos/Porsches/Cummins vehicles!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.