The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Farmer turned Software Engineer Ideas

Idea threads

genkifire

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jun 21, 2023
United States
Hi Guys! I grew up farming and ended up teaching myself to code on youtube and got a software engineer job that is my current 9 to 5. I have a passive income in a POD Etsy business (I know this isn't fastlane but it covers my grocery bills). I also freelance as a software engineer on the side specializing in agtech and working with ag businesses. My why is I want to be able to spend time with my family and get my family to get off the farm so they're not working 90 hour work weeks during the summer and I'm ready to break free from corporate. My value background is in the ag industry and software/tech industry. I want to bring value to the ag industry, and consumers with my unique background in ag/tech. I have some ideas to turn my dream life into a reality and I want to get honest feedback.

• Aggregator for Farmers/Agribusiness People with commodities they are in business in, growing degree days, weather, and news curated to their personal needs
  • Turo for farm equipment and heavy machinery
  • Labor sharing for farmers. Theres a huge labor issue in ag. I'm thinking of making a platform where people looking for work can post and farmers looking for workers can hire for seasonal or just a one-time job. This can be for H2As, migrant, high school kids, farmers, corporate farms etc.
  • Ag influencer platform that connects farm brands to ag influencers or people w a farm audience
  • Connecting small hobby farmers to manufacturers/wholesalers/restauraunts looking to stamp "locally sourced" on products to consumers
I'm open to ideas as well. Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Filippos

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Oct 25, 2018
  • Labor sharing for farmers. Theres a huge labor issue in ag. I'm thinking of making a platform where people looking for work can post and farmers looking for workers can hire for seasonal or just a one-time job. This can be for H2As, migrant, high school kids, farmers, corporate farms etc.
this will be very helpful for seasonal workforce, a perfect example is the sudden peak in labor all asparagus farmers have in Germany
I would use that in the offer of such a platform to attract farmers, because they really need help with this

another idea would be to create tools that reduce the manual effort or speed it up or make the task easier for people who have no experience in farming
one of the biggest problems of farmers in Germany is that there is a lot of low budget workforce asking them for a job, but only for a short period of time, so no farmer has the motivation to teach people if they are going to leave anyways in a few months

genkifire

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jun 21, 2023
United States
this will be very helpful for seasonal workforce, a perfect example is the sudden peak in labor all asparagus farmers have in Germany
I would use that in the offer of such a platform to attract farmers, because they really need help with this

another idea would be to create tools that reduce the manual effort or speed it up or make the task easier for people who have no experience in farming
one of the biggest problems of farmers in Germany is that there is a lot of low budget workforce asking them for a job, but only for a short period of time, so no farmer has the motivation to teach people if they are going to leave anyways in a few months
Thank you for responding all the way from Germany! I guess I was thinking too small believing this was a USA problem.
It feels good to know this is an issue across the pond. I like the idea of speeding up learning. I've found most success in doing video training but it could be better. Thank you for your insight about the issues of training people and manual effort. I will be on the lookout this season when I farm with my family for the manual effort issues and the problems of inconsistencies it causes. I also noticed its hard relaying what tasks need to be done on the farm.

genkifire

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jun 21, 2023
United States
Hi Guys! I grew up farming and ended up teaching myself to code on youtube and got a software engineer job that is my current 9 to 5. I have a passive income in a POD Etsy business (I know this isn't fastlane but it covers my grocery bills). I also freelance as a software engineer on the side specializing in agtech and working with ag businesses. My why is I want to be able to spend time with my family and get my family to get off the farm so they're not working 90 hour work weeks during the summer and I'm ready to break free from corporate. My value background is in the ag industry and software/tech industry. I want to bring value to the ag industry, and consumers with my unique background in ag/tech. I have some ideas to turn my dream life into a reality and I want to get honest feedback.

• Aggregator for Farmers/Agribusiness People with commodities they are in business in, growing degree days, weather, and news curated to their personal needs
  • Turo for farm equipment and heavy machinery
  • Ag influencer platform that connects farm brands to ag influencers or people w a farm audience
  • Connecting small hobby farmers to manufacturers/wholesalers/restauraunts looking to stamp "locally sourced" on products to consumers
I'm open to ideas as well. Thanks!
What I've done so far for my Ag Labor Issue Solution:
  • I picked out a name that is direct and to the point of what this platform does
  • I've sent a survey out to 1000s of farmers in my network across the world to gain feedback/insights and have a nice random prize with a couple of winners to pick out once my survey closes
  • Built a prototype on Figma and am finding farmers in my network to test the prototype for both mobile and web
  • Listened to people in my network that face this labor issue and have seen some common themes:
    • Paying people, a lot of farms don't get payment consistently and have expressed delayed payment as a need
    • Finding people with chemical and CDL licensing
    • Some expressed they wish that for a day they could take their hay baler or chopper and go make extra money on a weekend especially part-time farmers
My Next Action Steps:
  1. Build out more of the prototype
  2. Get my wireframe confirmed
  3. Build out my wireframe with tailwind CSS
  4. Leverage supabase and react
  5. Get feedback from my network of software engineers smarter than me on building this efficiently
  6. Build my backend
  7. Work with my business partner at my freelance firm I created who has the strong background in writing ag copy to write the copy for the app and word everything correctly
  8. Test new ideas with prototype and gain feedback from users and work in suggestions or anything that makes it hard to use
  9. Build my test, dev, and prod environments
  10. Push the prod environment
  11. Get some test users
  12. Release to the public
  13. Promote on social media and to our network of thousands of farmers/ag business professionals
  14. Take this to agtech, farm bureau, and other pitch competitions
  15. Pitch to investors
  16. Continue building/improving
  17. Eventually exit by selling this tech

Tau Ceti

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
330%
Sep 15, 2014
Stockholm, Sweden
There is a guy who does a little bit what you want to do. I follow him on Twitter.

That's his website.

Very niche but he makes a killing with it.

Tau Ceti

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
330%
Sep 15, 2014
Stockholm, Sweden
What I've done so far for my Ag Labor Issue Solution:
  • I picked out a name that is direct and to the point of what this platform does
  • I've sent a survey out to 1000s of farmers in my network across the world to gain feedback/insights and have a nice random prize with a couple of winners to pick out once my survey closes
  • Built a prototype on Figma and am finding farmers in my network to test the prototype for both mobile and web
  • Listened to people in my network that face this labor issue and have seen some common themes:
    • Paying people, a lot of farms don't get payment consistently and have expressed delayed payment as a need
    • Finding people with chemical and CDL licensing
    • Some expressed they wish that for a day they could take their hay baler or chopper and go make extra money on a weekend especially part-time farmers
My Next Action Steps:
  1. Build out more of the prototype
  2. Get my wireframe confirmed
  3. Build out my wireframe with tailwind CSS
  4. Leverage supabase and react
  5. Get feedback from my network of software engineers smarter than me on building this efficiently
  6. Build my backend
  7. Work with my business partner at my freelance firm I created who has the strong background in writing ag copy to write the copy for the app and word everything correctly
  8. Test new ideas with prototype and gain feedback from users and work in suggestions or anything that makes it hard to use
  9. Build my test, dev, and prod environments
  10. Push the prod environment
  11. Get some test users
  12. Release to the public
  13. Promote on social media and to our network of thousands of farmers/ag business professionals
  14. Take this to agtech, farm bureau, and other pitch competitions
  15. Pitch to investors
  16. Continue building/improving
  17. Eventually exit by selling this tech

IMHO, you don't need test,dev and production envs.

You need your local copy and production. No need for more at this stage.
You also don't need a backend if you use supabase. Supabase is your backend already.

Tailwind is great choice but i were you i would just buy a premium template and build from there its pretty hard to build something from scratch that looks decent.

Keep everything simple and use Nextjs because pure React is not SEO friendly so NextJs with server side rendered pages is the way to go.

I don't think you need wireframes either. Just code and ship and iterate on the design. With tailwind it's very easy and fast as well.

Don't worry about building user accounts and pretty emails either. At least for now.

genkifire

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jun 21, 2023
United States
IMHO, you don't need test,dev and production envs.

You need your local copy and production. No need for more at this stage.
You also don't need a backend if you use supabase. Supabase is your backend already.

Tailwind is great choice but i were you i would just buy a premium template and build from there its pretty hard to build something from scratch that looks decent.

Keep everything simple and use Nextjs because pure React is not SEO friendly so NextJs with server side rendered pages is the way to go.

I don't think you need wireframes either. Just code and ship and iterate on the design. With tailwind it's very easy and fast as well.

Don't worry about building user accounts and pretty emails either. At least for now.
Thank you so much for your feedback! I want to make this a mobile app too. How can I make this so this is friendly for mobile first? Based off feedback I got everyone says the reason they don't use the ranchwork.com site is because of it not being mobile friendly and not being inclusive to dairy, fruit, grain, and other types of ag work.

Tau Ceti

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
330%
Sep 15, 2014
Stockholm, Sweden
Thank you so much for your feedback! I want to make this a mobile app too. How can I make this so this is friendly for mobile first? Based off feedback I got everyone says the reason they don't use the ranchwork.com site is because of it not being mobile friendly and not being inclusive to dairy, fruit, grain, and other types of ag work.

To make a site mobile friendly you have to start with the mobile design first and then tackle the larger screens.
There are way to make your website turn into a mobile application but I don't think you should worry about that now.

Just make it mobile friendly first. Start with designing with tailwind a page that looks good on phones , then update it using breakpoints to make it look good on desktop, laptop and ipads.

Its all explained in the Tailwind docs: Responsive Design - Tailwind CSS

genkifire

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jun 21, 2023
United States
To make a site mobile friendly you have to start with the mobile design first and then tackle the larger screens.
There are way to make your website turn into a mobile application but I don't think you should worry about that now.

Just make it mobile friendly first. Start with designing with tailwind a page that looks good on phones , then update it using breakpoints to make it look good on desktop, laptop and ipads.

Its all explained in the Tailwind docs: Responsive Design - Tailwind CSS
Thank you its sounding like getting a template and working off the template would be the best option for me. I appreciate it!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.