The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

F*CK DOING WHAT YOU LOVE, i'M PUTTING MY FOOT ON THE GAS PEDAL.

fierce86

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Jun 19, 2011
I was planning on doing animation, but I talked to someone who's been trying to do animation for 7 years who still doesn't have a job. I realized how much commitment and hard work it takes, and the reward is to get a job and sit in a cubicle all day being forced to do it with deadlines and long tedious hours. Even if I want to fastlane it I have to work for someone else for a few years to get experienced, and then bestcase scenario I'm stuck with an animation company the rest of my life.

Even though I love it, the prospect of having to do it all day and not having the freedom that I would have if I was retired and the hardships involved make it not worth it I realized.

I know the fastlane is just as much work, but at least with fastlane I know the end goal is to retire and I know that I don't have to spend 5-7 years just getting proficient at a talent and have to compete with millions of other people.

I also realized I have so many different passions and theres no reason why I would love animation more than the other passions enough to sacrifice my life, health, energy, and youth for it when I could retire and do whatever else I want like write screenplays, maybe start a fashion company, or whatever else I would want as a rich person.

So for my fastlane plan, I'm going to go make a killing selling cars, and invest the money in a product in a llc company. I'm going to look into making the portable strap on tray I was thinking of making a couple months ago.

Just one question, do you guys think with the fastlane it's more worth it to spend more time on my company and product I'm making or spend half the time working so I have money to invest in the product launch. I have about 20 thousand saved up in the bank but I want to make a good 200 -300 thousand to invest in my company, and I know I have the perfect personality to sell cars so I could bring in about 80 thousand a year, if I did it full time.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Anything is possible. However, I would say 200-300K to invest in a startup business is... well; I think you don't need near that much. 1/10 of that.

mika123

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 16, 2011
Good realization... Fastlane is the lane to be... I spent most of my time doing what I loved with no money... all the self help bullshit taught these days is just filling these gurus' pockets and accelerating their cars on the fastlane on our expense... they ask us to drive in slowlane (do what you love...) and ask us to bend properly so that they could shove some more and take whatever is left... time to get into fastlane... thanks of MJ's book that opened my eyes...

fierce86

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Jun 19, 2011
Ya I realized it was some bullshit limiting belief I had in my head. It got to a point where I wasn't even happy because I felt like I was being forced to do it all the time and it didn't help with creativity. Plus I just realized I don't love it enough to go through years of living in the slow lane before I get in teh fastlane. I'd rather be in vegas partying or on a yatch or something than "doing what I love,"...hell I could read philosophy all day and I love that too but it's not something I want to be forced to do every day for the next 20-30 years before I make any money.

ClintonSkakun

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Mar 26, 2011
D
The only books I read now days contain mostly specialized knowelage. No more woo-woo, you-can-do-it, get-motivated bullshit about attracting money with your mind by people who were dirt poor until they published a best seller. Those books waste your time by not teaching actual knowelage you can apply and make it seem easier than it is(appeals to the average, "I want to make money by doing noting" crowd).

I tend to stay away from books that:
- Are extremely esoteric and mystical(LOA)
- Teach things unsupported by science or common logic.(e.g. God gives you money)
- Appeal to people who want to hear what makes them feel good.(You don't have to work hard)
- Are written by people who don't practice what they preach or make a living off of only self-help material.(e.g. I was broke until I started doing seminars and selling "You can do it" books.)

MJ's book tells you a few things you may not want to hear. So does How to Get Rich. Both books well make your heart sink if you're intent on just doing what you love and not working hard at it.

The thing I find is that the big money goes to people who do things other can't or won't do. Not everyone has the mental strength and tenacity of Mike Tyson, that's why he's paid more. If you're really willing to put into your business what everyone else around you isn't, then your customers will have a reason to come to you instead of your competitors. If you work harder and smarter than the person next to you, you of course will make more money. Hard work is the magnitude, smart work is the speed. H x S = your earnings. Only smart work is like a bullet that can kill a person. Smart + Hard work is like a meteor that can destroy the earth on impact. The difference between a 4hr workweek and a 60, 70 or 80 hr workweek, it could mean the world.

fierce86

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Jun 19, 2011
Ya, i'd rather be getting the 6 figure check in the mail than doing what I love.lol. Self help gurus just want to make money...anyway, brainstorming here

Things to think about and consider
1) what I enjoy to some extent
2) what’s hot right now in the market
3) what I’m good at doing

I enjoy bodybuilding, philosophies, self help, art, fashion.
Hot: technology like apps, iphone stuff, social networking
I’m good at lifting weights, helping people get good fashion maybe, etc..

I have to automize it though and make it sellable.

Products I’d want to make:
Weight lifting products to help you workout
Stuff to stop sweating when you wear a shirt that only covers your arm pits so you don’t have to wear a full shirt underneath..
Tray to hold your food in front of you so you don't have to hold it
Something that tells you how to dress properly based on personality and taste, or a service.
A device you attach to your arm to always let you know if someone is calling, has facebooked you, or tried to contact you in some way..small device..

something that filters what text messages you can get… so if it says whats up or something stupid it will filter it out to save you time.
Something that blocks the youtube commercials..a service you pay for.
Something that filters cigarett smoke so people around you don’t feel the chemicals.

Do any of these stand out as really good ideas you guys think are great? I looked up things people hate on twitter to get some help. leaning towards technology more..so something along the lines of filtering texts and things..but I dont' wanna program phones. I have a bias that technology stuff always makes more money..but the thing that covers your armpits so you don't sweat sounds easier and useful. Even if you wear deodorant you will still have clear liquid all underneat your armpits making your shirt wet, and I hate wearing an entire shirt under a shirt when it's hot.

Edit: nevermind someone came up with the armpit pad idea, just found it.lol. I guess it was a good idea. =)
Edit 2: nevermind the youtube thing has been done too. lol. Next time I'll research before I post something.

garyfritz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 16, 2011
Colorado
Don't assume that just because somebody has done it already, that there isn't any opportunity left. Myspace was huge before Facebook ever started, and now look at 'em.

If you're sure you've got a winner, go out and do it better than they did.

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
Why do you make animation = sitting in a cubicle.

Animation = fastlane if you want it to and you can be creative.

A couple guys named George Lucas and Steve Jobs did pretty good with fastlane style animation: Pixar Animation Studios

ClintonSkakun

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Mar 26, 2011
D
Ya, i'd rather be getting the 6 figure check in the mail than doing what I love.lol. Self help gurus just want to make money...anyway, brainstorming here

Things to think about and consider
1) what I enjoy to some extent
2) what’s hot right now in the market
3) what I’m good at doing

I enjoy bodybuilding, philosophies, self help, art, fashion.
Hot: technology like apps, iphone stuff, social networking
I’m good at lifting weights, helping people get good fashion maybe, etc..

I have to automize it though and make it sellable.

Products I’d want to make:
Weight lifting products to help you workout
Stuff to stop sweating when you wear a shirt that only covers your arm pits so you don’t have to wear a full shirt underneath..
Tray to hold your food in front of you so you don't have to hold it
Something that tells you how to dress properly based on personality and taste, or a service.
A device you attach to your arm to always let you know if someone is calling, has facebooked you, or tried to contact you in some way..small device..

something that filters what text messages you can get… so if it says whats up or something stupid it will filter it out to save you time.
Something that blocks the youtube commercials..a service you pay for.
Something that filters cigarett smoke so people around you don’t feel the chemicals.

Do any of these stand out as really good ideas you guys think are great? I looked up things people hate on twitter to get some help. leaning towards technology more..so something along the lines of filtering texts and things..but I dont' wanna program phones. I have a bias that technology stuff always makes more money..but the thing that covers your armpits so you don't sweat sounds easier and useful. Even if you wear deodorant you will still have clear liquid all underneat your armpits making your shirt wet, and I hate wearing an entire shirt under a shirt when it's hot.

Edit: nevermind someone came up with the armpit pad idea, just found it.lol. I guess it was a good idea. =)
Edit 2: nevermind the youtube thing has been done too. lol. Next time I'll research before I post something.
You have some good ideas going there. The one about filtering smoke is good for people who have friends who have asthma.

Also, IMO fashion will always be hot because people always need to buy clothes and are always worried about how they look. Fashion advice, or anything that reduces the pain of looking good or avoiding embarrassment, is big business because people can't afford not to look good. It's like sex, food, etc. It's close to being a natural urge.

speedyexe

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jun 23, 2011
Gdynia, Poland
7yrs? Maybe you were talking to the same guy like i did :) i talked to him yesterday :) where are u from? Im also animator but junior - i can learn more and u and we could make something out with share profits but make with fun mindset not thinking only about money and if we get lucky we will sell that product just send me PM.
Regards
Dan

speedyexe

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jun 23, 2011
Gdynia, Poland

A couple guys named George Lucas and Steve Jobs did pretty good with fastlane style animation: Pixar Animation Studios

I totally agree its fastlane like a rocket, we have software and strong pc's these days and lots of tutorials so its even easier than for lucas and steeve, our limits are our imagination!
So lets get started, some easy movie, we can do it.

fierce86

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Jun 19, 2011
Arrrrrgggg I'm so frustrated. I couldn't bring myself to drop my classes. I just don't know if I can walk away from my dreams. I'm gonna give it some more time.

Ya I guess animation can be fastlane...but I feel like that's saying acting can be fastlane. I mean animation is harder to master than acting so it would be easier, but the entertainment industry in general can get overwhelming with competition.

The guy I talked to is peter from an animation forum. he's basically been traveling around the united states trying to learn and network and crash company parties and do whatever it takes to make it. I guess he made me realize just how difficult the road ahead really is going to be. He basically told me to move to hollywood right now and that thats my best shot at networking and learning, so I have to step up I guess.

But i guess any fastlane endeavor would be really difficult too.

Its good to know theres another person on here doing animation so maybe we can discuss some fastlane plans together and support each other..

Anyway, I'm gonna keep going with animation a bit longer, I can always fall back on my fastlane ideas anytime if I decide too. i don't think i could do both animation and a fastlane idea though, might be too time consuming to succeed at both.

also i wouldn't say george lucas was fastlane, he was a starving director for 6-7 yrs before he got his break and he was competing with millions just like an actor like tom cruise would...no?

77startup

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Aug 4, 2011
Chicago

Yea I agree out of all the ideas animation sounded like the winner simply because it's hard, its in a very fragmented market, and there's a lot of $$$ potential.

Also I think you have a very wrong view about what fastlane is. Fastlane isn't selling trays on autopilot and collecting 7 figures in 2-3years. Fastlane is about attacking a scalable business model that has a large market which you can execute in better than your competitors either because you are better then them, or because they have become "fat and complacent "

fierce86

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Jun 19, 2011
thanks for the support guys, ya I'm gonna keep going with the animation. It's just that I spent 6 years studying in college trying to do a slowlane life approach so I guess I'm still kinda bitter and don't want to fall into that trap again since finding the book.

911Carrera

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Aug 1, 2011
Most animators live in a cubicle and get told what to do all day.
I think if you're good, you can make short movies and post them on youtube and if a few million watch them, you're on your way to the fastlane.

[video=youtube;sdUUx5FdySs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdUUx5FdySs&ob=av3n[/video]

zaiteku

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Dec 10, 2007
Honolulu, Hawaii
I started out as an animator. I worked for George, as well as many other great companies. I have friends in Pixar, Weta, ILM, Digital Domain, SPI etc.

Its a cool job if you "love" animation. Remember that you are learning a trade, like carpentry, so you need to really like doing it. A lot of people I know in school were half in it because it seemed like a "fun job", or "it pays well" (it can), or the prestige of being able to tell people "Im an animator". Later, you realize that some director is telling you what to do all day, you sit in front of a monitor and click a mouse for 16 hours straight, when you tell people what you do they have no idea wtf an animator is, and the only people that care about your name in the credits are people that would still care about you even if you were a garbage man- nobody else knows you, or cares and they skip the credits. In short, the "prestige" is an illusion, its bullsh*t, so make sure you are not doing it for that.

On the other hand, if you "love" animation, and you love to do it all day even when not getting paid, you will love animating most likely, and it can be a very fun, rewarding career for you.

Its like being a filmaker. You just (in the words of Robert Rodriguez) "are" a filmaker. You dont learn to be one, or go to school to be one- you just decide to be- and then you go and make films all day. If you dont enjoy making films all day, for the love of God, please dont be a filmaker! Same for animation.

I used to love animation. I did it all the time, I lived it, breathed it, and made new animations daily. It was my life. But I always had the business bug from a long time ago, and it started to creep into my life in a good way. Now I find business just as much a "high" as animation was. This is my new path, for better or for worse (sometimes its been worse, sometimes its been better!), and I will walk it. A friend of mine, Bobby, started a company called Animation Mentor after having similar thoughts. He loved animation and did a lot of great work at Pixar, but business was his next calling. He is now fastlane.

There are a lot of opportunities in animation, and Im sure I made it sound more negative than it is, but Im not trying to be negative, just "real". Its a trade. To enjoy it, you need to be in it for the right reasons. If you are, it rocks, and you will go far for sure. If you just want a "job", it will get tough. I still like animation and appreciate it. I also would do it all over again if given the choice.

fierce86

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Jun 19, 2011
Hey, ya I would do animation all day 16 hours:smxA:..I was just a little mad at the rigging asapect of it which a lot of animators hate ( for non animators it's when you add the mechanics and skeleton to your character) But I would want to make movies all day even without the prestige.

Ya I noticed animation mentor is a fastlane plan..so you know bobby eh? I saw him in one of the mentor videos, he seems like a really fun guy. I wouldn't mind starting an online school someday, or selling dvds like the animator survial kit guy, richard williams.

I have the business bug as much as I love animation which is why it's been kind of hard to just do the animation and not the business side yet. I'm willing to put it on hold though and do the business side once I have some skill.

The part I don't like is the director telling me what to do all day and sitting in a cubicle:talktothehand:..I'd want to be a director or start a studio ( hence the business/fastlane side). I think I can make it though. I've been listening to walt disneys biography and he managed to fastlane pretty quickly but he worked his a$$ off to the point of starvation and no housing or money.lol :smilielol:

so it wasn't so much that I don't want to be an animtor all day, it's the conflicting emotions of wanting to do the business side of it too creeping in and pulling me away from the artistic part, that's all. :thumbsup:

mimetic

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 21, 2011
Animation and VFX isn't fastlane at all guys. Low entry requirements (or HUGE entry requirements - hundreds of thousands of dollars if you want to start your own production studio), massive competition from extremely talented individuals and outsourcing to countries such as India makes it a poor business opportunity. Most production businesses in Hollywood barely scrape by - producers are constantly being pressured to cut costs and studios undercut each other, but everyone ignores it because they're doing "what they love". High supply, low demand. Sure, places like Digital Domain do well - but can you really compete with them?

I hate to kill your dreams - but I had similar ones a while back, and I think it's important to be realistic. People like Steve Jobs and Lucas got in at the right time...and now isn't the right time. Right now, every kid wants to work in Hollywood and make movies. The market determines what is fastlane, not getting a million views on youtube.

Oh and PS: if you work for someone else (F*ck that) the hours are long and the pay is mediocre. Massive overtime is common.

fierce86

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Jun 19, 2011
Maybe, but I'm a delusional f*ck who thinks he can rule the world and I think I'm better than everyone else and that I have a 1 inch c*ck even though I don't =)

I'm gonna make digital studios, steve jobs, and lucas my 3 b*tches like charlie sheen and his 3 goddesses. Keep the pimp hand strong guys, that's the key to business success.

Last edited by a moderator:

77startup

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Aug 4, 2011
Chicago
I love this forum sometimes. It seems like every idea which isn't "lead generation" or "make an ebook" is considered slowlane.

fierce86

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Jun 19, 2011
i heard the reason southpark succeeded was because they also had really big d*cks and they f*cked the right high level person at the right time. It really was all timing. Plus they had jesus and satan on their side doing vodoo and sh*t. F*ck I'm screwed. =(
Lead generation and ebooks here I come!

hekks

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 2, 2011
Chicago
F*CK DOING WHAT YOU LOVE, i'M PUTTING MY FOOT ON THE GAS PEDAL.

Get your foot off the CAPS LOCK key first :rofl:

You seem very passionate and excited about this. That's definitely good! Just take it from someone who's been burned out on pure excitement before: make sure you're building it brick-by-brick and taking consistent action toward the end result. You don't want to hype yourself up only to step back and see that you haven't started.

Best of luck to you and remember to never give up!

77startup

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Aug 4, 2011
Chicago
Another example of bringing animation to the fast lane. These guys hire remotely, and charge about 17,000 per 90 second video + 4,000 grand every 30seconds after that. How many of these do they need to sell to make 7 figures a year.

Epipheo Studios

speedyexe

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jun 23, 2011
Gdynia, Poland
17,000 $ for shitty 2d animation? I can do it in Paint :D
dammit why everybodys getting rich and im still in shitty situation all the time :D

77startup

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Aug 4, 2011
Chicago
Because there are people that do, and people that "can do". Prosperity is everywhere, if you just realize prosperity is everywhere.

mimetic

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 21, 2011
Maybe, but I'm a delusional f*ck who thinks he can rule the world and I think I'm better than everyone else and that I have a 1 inch c*ck even though I don't =)
I'm gonna make digital studios, steve jobs, and lucas my 3 b*tches like charlie sheen and his 3 goddesses. Keep the pimp hand strong guys, that's the key to business success.

Good on you, I applaud the attitude and I think it's fantastic to have drive. But remember that the market is what will determine the need - and it seems like you just want to do what you love - if you're in it to make money then that's the wrong approach. I've worked for f500 clients in the animation/3d field and made a killing in a short time - but again your time is tied to your hours and input.

If you want to do well - you have to create a product or offer a service which the market needs. If you want an example of someone who nailed it in animation/vfx have a look at Andrew Kramer - videocopilot.net. He nailed it through releasing great, free video tutorials - and then creating a product to sell along with them. Plus he's funny as hell and you should check it out anyway!

mimetic

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 21, 2011
Another example of bringing animation to the fast lane. These guys hire remotely, and charge about 17,000 per 90 second video + 4,000 grand every 30seconds after that. How many of these do they need to sell to make 7 figures a year.

Epipheo Studios

Where are these numbers from? I call bullshit until I see numbers.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.