The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Doing the Andy Frisella "75 Hard" Challenge

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Committing = finding a way to get it done.

If you can't stay focused and remember to do things, then find a solution to the problem.

For me it's a notebook that allows me to track each and every step. If not for this I surely would have missed something by now.
Is there a phone app thing to remind you guys throughout the day?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
Is there a phone app thing to remind you guys throughout the day?
I use a paper notebook.

Each day I right out my list for the next day and check them off as I go. It's the same exact concept as the power list, only there's consequences when you miss something.

KnightByDay

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
414%
Oct 28, 2017
South Carolina
Day 66. So close I can taste it. More worried about messing up now than I have been the entire challenge.

I think I'm addicted to exercising.

I still miss eating cheese after 3 months (went dairy-free before the challenge). I'm ready to start eating lunch again so I don't have to stuff so many calories down in a 1-hour window.

Starting my first martial arts class tomorrow night. It goes for about an hour, so I'm counting it as a workout (unless it ends up being really tame... then I might go for a walk when I get home).

My mental game is on point, I'm finding it a lot easier to get up and get shit done. I have a drive to push myself, especially physically, that I've never experienced.

@Rick Phillips

I appreciate the write up, it was interesting, but I prefer to absorb and consider the pros and cons myself. That's why I asked about your sources.

@Fox

Although it is disheartening that you have had to restart many times now, I want to commend you on being honest about it, and for your commitment to continue trying. I am a little concerned that this might continue to happen if you don't make it your #1 priority, though. I'm rooting for you, I really am.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
I have moved from a "whiteboard" system to an app for tracking.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone.

Ricko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
254%
Jul 20, 2018
London, United Kingdom
Congrats @KnightByDay - you've got this. Have you read up on the three phases after the initial 75 hard required in order to complete the challenge?

Andy talks about them on his podcast a bit but I think that he is launching a book which details the full challenge in the future.

I appreciate the write up, it was interesting, but I prefer to absorb and consider the pros and cons myself. That's why I asked about your sources

Always the best way. I've been going through my old books and seeing which one would be the best individual book to recommend to you in order to meet your learning requirements. Tom Venuto's book 'Burn the fat, feed the muscle' is a really good one. Whilst the name and the cover are fairly terrible and akin to a scammer's pdf, the content is great.

KnightByDay

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
414%
Oct 28, 2017
South Carolina
Congrats @KnightByDay - you've got this. Have you read up on the three phases after the initial 75 hard required in order to complete the challenge?

Andy talks about them on his podcast a bit but I think that he is launching a book which details the full challenge in the future.

I'm not celebrating yet, but thanks for the encouragement!

I have listened to every podcast (and relistened a few times during the challenge), so I am pretty clear on phase 1 and the 30 day break afterwards, but I have not checked Andy's IG or anything for the next phases.

Honestly, the big problem I'm having is that my shower doesn't get cold enough to be uncomfortable.

I may end up stopping the challenge after I complete phase 0, and restart early next year after I've moved to the mountains. I haven't decided yet. But, I am looking forward to the book. I've been hoping he will release it this year.

Yoda

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
710%
Nov 12, 2015
Dagobah
I have mixed feelings about how many times I have failed.

How many successful days have you had, in total, though?

Part of the "hidden idea" with the 75HARD is the pursuit of perfection. Notice the word "pursuit" there.

The only way to "win" the challenge is to be "perfect" in the process over a set period of time. But, the limitation here is the "rules" of the game are set by someone else.

Do the rules of the game actually align with your goals 100%? If not, you may never give 100% to the challenge.

What are you actually pursuing or trying to gain by finishing?

Clearly defining this may help you push through the finish line.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
How many successful days have you had, in total, though?

Part of the "hidden idea" with the 75HARD is the pursuit of perfection. Notice the word "pursuit" there.

The only way to "win" the challenge is to be "perfect" in the process over a set period of time. But, the limitation here is the "rules" of the game are set by someone else.

Do the rules of the game actually align with your goals 100%? If not, you may never give 100% to the challenge.

What are you actually pursuing or trying to gain by finishing?

Clearly defining this may help you push through the finish line.

I disagree. Here’s why. The ONLY reason I started this challenge was to build a disciplined daily routine. That was my goal my finish line. Now maybe I’ll have it by the time I finish but I don’t know.

I don’t have consistency in my days. My life is flexible, I work for myself, every day is adjusted. But the stuff on the list gets done. So I am being disciplined .. but not in a way I would expect.

If someone feels like this challenge is exciting then they should attempt it whether or not they have a clear goal. Let the challenge itself be the goal.

Sticking to something like this for ANY length of time helped me to reevaluate my standards in ways that just thinking about doing the challenge wouldn’t have.

Yoda

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
710%
Nov 12, 2015
Dagobah
I disagree. Here’s why. The ONLY reason I started this challenge was to build a disciplined daily routine. That was my goal my finish line. Now maybe I’ll have it by the time I finish but I don’t know.

I don’t have consistency in my days. My life is flexible, I work for myself, every day is adjusted. But the stuff on the list gets done. So I am being disciplined .. but not in a way I would expect.

If someone feels like this challenge is exciting then they should attempt it whether or not they have a clear goal. Let the challenge itself be the goal.

Sticking to something like this for ANY length of time helped me to reevaluate my standards in ways that just thinking about doing the challenge wouldn’t have.

So... you're just good with knowing you're free to quit?

You don't need this challenge in particular to build a disciplined daily routine.

If I accept a challenge, and I don't know about anyone else here, but I accept only if I intend to F*cking win.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
So... you're just good with knowing you're free to quit?

You don't need this challenge in particular to build a disciplined daily routine.

If I accept a challenge, and I don't know about anyone else here, but I accept only if I intend to F*cking win.

That’s great dude. My point is not everybody has crystal clarity when they start. It shouldn’t dissuade them from trying.

Are you even doing this challenge? I mean, I’m all for winning.. but winning for some ppl might very well be just tackling something hard.

Andy Frisella has built an entire brand around being tough. We need men like him in the world but I’m not a man. Its ok to quit this. It’s ok to start and try and fail and say “this isn’t for me right now”.

It’s HOW you do it that matters. If I “succeed” at 75hard and my character is no better than when I started have I really won anything at all?

Giving up is always an option. I think the true loss would be doing this and not learning something valuable that I can apply towards the rest of my life.

Yoda

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
710%
Nov 12, 2015
Dagobah

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018

You know what? I hadn’t thought of it that way before but you’re prolly right. Surely there must be someone somewhere who is being whipped every day by their master to complete this challenge on pain of death if they don’t comply.

Yoda

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
710%
Nov 12, 2015
Dagobah
Surely there must be someone somewhere who is being whipped every day by their master to complete this challenge on pain of death if they don’t comply.

You really need to re-read my post in regards to this matter above.

@Fox admitted to having confusing thoughts on failure (9 times) and continuing to try again.

While his thoughts are super normal as it relates to the feelings of failure, the establishment of aligning himself with why he wants to finish it is key to his success. He's not allowing himself to just call it quits because he "can't do it" right now.

Something tells me he feels drawn to finish.

And I think he's got it in him to do it, as does anyone, so long as they find the reason why they want to complete it, and the challenge aligns with satisfying this why.

You, @Primeperiwinkle may not feel drawn to finish this. Therefore, I say you don't start it.

You think you'll learn something, but I think you have a bigger issue at hand, if you'll acknowledge it. You're biggest hurdle right now isn't daily routine, as you mentioned.

It's your belief in follow through.

Nobody starts a marathon like, "I'd be satisfied if I get somewhere between 18 and 22 miles. That'll do." That person should just complete a half marathon and realize what a great accomplishment it was, and enjoy the journey of training up to it.

Nobody starts a painting like, "I'll get all the outlines done and just half the colors and see how it looks." No, they take up a different style like line or dot if color isn't their thing.

Imagine getting a half-cooked chicken breast at dinner.

Imagine getting half a surgery.

Finishing a challenge is the goal, and if you are okay with less, you didn't lose the challenge.

You never showed up.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
You really need to re-read my post in regards to this matter above.

@Fox admitted to having confusing thoughts on failure (9 times) and continuing to try again.

While his thoughts are super normal as it relates to the feelings of failure, the establishment of aligning himself with why he wants to finish it is key to his success. He's not allowing himself to just call it quits because he "can't do it" right now.

Something tells me he feels drawn to finish.

And I think he's got it in him to do it, as does anyone, so long as they find the reason why they want to complete it, and the challenge aligns with satisfying this why.

You, @Primeperiwinkle may not feel drawn to finish this. Therefore, I say you don't start it.

You think you'll learn something, but I think you have a bigger issue at hand, if you'll acknowledge it. You're biggest hurdle right now isn't daily routine, as you mentioned.

It's your belief in follow through.

Nobody starts a marathon like, "I'd be satisfied if I get somewhere between 18 and 22 miles. That'll do." That person should just complete a half marathon and realize what a great accomplishment it was, and enjoy the journey of training up to it.

Nobody starts a painting like, "I'll get all the outlines done and just half the colors and see how it looks." No, they take up a different style like line or dot if color isn't their thing.

Imagine getting a half-cooked chicken breast at dinner.

Imagine getting half a surgery.

Finishing a challenge is the goal, and if you are okay with less, you didn't lose the challenge.

You never showed up.

So if someone doesn’t win then it means they never really tried?

Yoda

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
710%
Nov 12, 2015
Dagobah
So if someone doesn’t win then it means they never really tried?

The word "win" was not in my last reply.

I have enough self-awareness to know I cannot help you until you help yourself.

Attempt to exceed the limit, not broach the minimums of life.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
The word "win" was not in my last reply.

I have enough self-awareness to know I cannot help you until you help yourself.

Attempt to exceed the limit, not broach the minimums of life.

Dude, I have enough self-awareness to know that you might very well be able to help me. Lord knows I’ve gotten help from half of the Star Wars cast before. I like help. I adore deep convos about metaphysical stuff. You’re welcome to try and tinker with my brain any time.

Meanwhile, you’re not leaving any grace for the multiple ppl reading this thread who have failed and stepped away. You’re also not encouraging anyone to attempt the challenge either. They shouldn’t feel crappy for the rest of their life for not completing this. ESPECIALLY if by trying and failing they learned valuable lessons.

Nobody starts this thing aiming to fail. But aiming at this goal and then halfway in realizing that it’s not the goal for you is ok too.

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
I, like the other 51,000 FLF members, have been following this thread mostly for the @Fox selfies but what a powerful lesson above.

@Primeperiwinkle this forum loves you dearly and you are one of my favorite contributors. The lesson I’m getting from above is are you subconsciously sabotaging yourself by saying “it’s ok to fail as long as I tried” vs. “I will not fail”?

It’s something that I struggle with as well (my subconcious and I are not on good terms most days). That was my takeaway from Yoda.

Go after everything in life with the mentality that you will not quit and you will not fail. And never tell yourself that quitting is ok.

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
I think there's a lot to be learned in this conversation. The word quit has a lot to do with it.

One thing that makes this challenge special is that it's 75 days long and if you mess up once, you have to start over. It's a big Commitment.

I think some people mistake what the word commitment means. If you consider failing this challenge to be okay, then you are not really committed at all. It's still an option to you.

For those that are truly committed, they do fine until their commitment wavers.

Being truly committed to something means there are no other options. It's do or die. If it stops being do or die, the commitment is gone.

For people like me who have never truly committed to anything in their life, this challenge is a huge step in the right direction.

I was driven to complete the challenge when I started because I wanted the self-confidence and discipline gains. I didn't become truly committed until I told my friends, family, and most important, my significant other that I was going to complete it. At that point it became a matter of pride for me, so I allowed myself to accept the sacrifices I would have to make and become committed.

If you are going to start this challenge and not consider what commitment is, I think you will have some trouble completing it. When your environment is telling you do one thing and your discipline and willpower is telling you to do another, you will need to be committed or your will will waver.

Think about other areas of life, like business. Are you really committed? Is it do or die? Or, are you accepting of reasons to waver on your plans and execution?

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
I, like the other 51,000 FLF members, have been following this thread mostly for the @Fox selfies but what a powerful lesson above.

@Primeperiwinkle this forum loves you dearly and you are one of my favorite contributors. The lesson I’m getting from above is are you subconsciously sabotaging yourself by saying “it’s ok to fail as long as I tried” vs. “I will not fail”?

It’s something that I struggle with as well (my subconcious and I are not on good terms most days). That was my takeaway from Yoda.

Go after everything in life with the mentality that you will not quit and you will not fail. And never tell yourself that quitting is ok.

You speak to my heart dude. I appreciate you. I love this forum, though I feel out of my depth most days. Maybe there’s something here that I’m just not getting. Maybe we’re seeing it from two different points of view.

I’ve been trying to get to root issues while I do this challenge. I’ve been trying to figure out what it takes to motivate me and keep me focused. I still don’t know.
Maybe I’m wrong or I’m just a mommy but..

I think quitting is ok. It’s not the best option of course but it is ok. We’ll still love Fox even if he quits. I’m proud of everyone who tackles this thing.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
Sometimes failing at one thing increases your determination at a great many other things.

Sometimes failing is what it takes to teach you what you really want.

Sometimes failing to get your why in one area helps you find it in a lot of other things.

But you don’t know that unless you try. And you don’t have to be completely sure of your why to try.. anything.

Yoda

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
710%
Nov 12, 2015
Dagobah
I’ve been trying to figure out what it takes to motivate me and keep me focused. I still don’t know.

This is a positive admittance of understanding. This is what you should be attempting to solve for yourself.

Maybe ask yourself... what if the stakes were higher?

Right now, there aren't really any.

So... who cares if you DO win? or who cares if you DO fail?

It's just personal win/loss, and some people just don't take it personally enough to feel pulled by emotion in either direction.

But... what if failure was not an option?

In fact, let's think about this, collectively...

For anyone reading this, respond:

What would make this challenge so imperative, it would literally take an Act of God to stop you from completing it?

KnightByDay

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
414%
Oct 28, 2017
South Carolina
I think there's a lot to be learned in this conversation. The word quit has a lot to do with it.

One thing that makes this challenge special is that it's 75 days long and if you mess up once, you have to start over. It's a big Commitment.

I think some people mistake what the word commitment means. If you consider failing this challenge to be okay, then you are not really committed at all. It's still an option to you.

For those that are truly committed, they do fine until their commitment wavers.

Being truly committed to something means there are no other options. It's do or die. If it stops being do or die, the commitment is gone.

For people like me who have never truly committed to anything in their life, this challenge is a huge step in the right direction.

I was driven to complete the challenge when I started because I wanted the self-confidence and discipline gains. I didn't become truly committed until I told my friends, family, and most important, my significant other that I was going to complete it. At that point it became a matter of pride for me, so I allowed myself to accept the sacrifices I would have to make and become committed.

If you are going to start this challenge and not consider what commitment is, I think you will have some trouble completing it. When your environment is telling you do one thing and your discipline and willpower is telling you to do another, you will need to be committed or your will will waver.

Think about other areas of life, like business. Are you really committed? Is it do or die? Or, are you accepting of reasons to waver on your plans and execution?

I 100% agree with this. I started the challenge for similar, if not the same reasons.

I personally think the point of this challenge is to learn to commit to, and achieve, something hard through discipline and consistent action. Motivation may be what gets you to commit at the beginning, but after the first week, it's all discipline and process in my experience.

Finishing the challenge is the challenge, the thing you get the benefit from. If I failed the challenge in this next week, say on day 73, would I restart and do it all again even though I pretty much did it, I learned some discipline?

Yep, because I didn't do it, I didn't follow through, I didn't finish what I started, what I committed to. In that case, I might as well go back to being the person I was 2 months ago. Because the mindset isn't really built until you finish, you can just say 'I pretty much did it' and the precedent is set that you can (and will) quit when you want to.

I'm not personally here to encourage people to start the challenge if they are just kinda interested, because they won't finish it, and will not get the benefit. You must be committed. This is why I have recommended multiple times that anyone make it their #1 priority.

Andy says he doesn't think 99% of people can finish the challenge, because that's the point, to finish it, not to try it. Sure you can get other things from the challenge, like what motivates you, but that isn't actually the point of all this in my opinion.

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
I think quitting is ok.

I don’t believe you. From getting to know you and things you have overcome, deep down in your heart you are the furthest thing from a quitter. I think you are interchanging the word quit and the word fail and they are worlds apart. Eliminate quit from your vocabulary.

Maybe I’m wrong or I’m just a mommy

If memory serves me correctly your kids are just a little older than mine. As parents of young children it’s a balancing act of letting them learn and fail on their own and lending a helping hand when needed. So I do think that plays a role. Would you rather see them try and fail? Or try and quit? Ask the question that way and you’ll see the difference.

Being entrepreneurs, every single person on this forum has failed multiple times but we keeping coming back. We don’t quit. You’ve got this.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
I don’t believe you. From getting to know you and things you have overcome, deep down in your heart you are the furthest thing from a quitter. I think you are interchanging the word quit and the word fail and they are worlds apart. Eliminate quit from your vocabulary.

If memory serves me correctly your kids are just a little older than mine. As parents of young children it’s a balancing act of letting them learn and fail on their own and lending a helping hand when needed. So I do think that plays a role. Would you rather see them try and fail? Or try and quit? Ask the question that way and you’ll see the difference.

Being entrepreneurs, every single person on this forum has failed multiple times but we keeping coming back. We don’t quit. You’ve got this.

Thank you, so much dude. I don’t know how I feel about any of this right now. My buttons are getting pushed. Thankfully I haven’t done either of my workouts and it’s now 10pm at night, again. So I gotta go. Right now I think I just want to throw popcorn at the little green, withered up, really, really (did I say really?) REALLY unattractive short guy from Star Wars.

Because that’s what you do when your internet friends are trying to make you a better person. Blah! Imma go workout. Don’t anybody ask me why. Ffs.

ETA: Changed my mind. I’m totes quitting, for now. I would MUCH rather be committed to other things than this challenge at this point in time.

Last edited:

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Some great posts on here.

I am fully in this to win with zero deviations from the challenge.

I have failed because quite simply I have not been up to par. I should have been more tuned in, more engaged, and with better systems. But that isn't from a lack of wanting to finish - its because of how I have been living previous to this challenge.

Since I started this challenge my business has been growing faster than ever, I am in the best shape I have ever been in, and my confidence is the highest it has been in years. I am seeing real change.

But I am not going for 30% change or 50% change - I want the full 100% benefit of completing the first 75 days and all the other stages. Expect me to still be working on this till the end of the year.

@Yoda has a great point - even though on one level I 100% wanted to do this I still didn't align myself 100% with what it would take. Hence the failures.

It is a great lesson for me.

Day #4 today. Time for a forest walk in the rain ;)

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
On a totally different note, I got my first ever double backflip last night (at age 31!).

I think it is down to a combo of being in such good shape right now and also having the confidence from working on this challenge.

It is something I have always wanted to do (like for around 10 years) but never even had the confidence to try. I got it after a few minutes yesterday evening...

http://instagr.am/p/B0ylHgXA6uw/

Fid

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 26, 2017
Wroclaw, Poland
Great discussion above. We can all learn a lot from the conversation between @Yoda and @Primeperiwinkle. Thank you both.

I just failed today for 9th time I think. Got me pissed off so much. Why?

Because I did it again. Drank coffee with almond milk in a cafe. They use a brand that adds sugar to the milk.

100% of my failures were due to lack of focus or attention. Not laziness, not lack of willpower. Focus.

This has just come to an end. I'm grateful for that failure because it taught me a valuable lesson. Focus is what I lack in general. I'm all over the place with my business, with my plans, with my relationships, with my day to day tasks.

That's why I started the challenge in the first place. For me, it's a means to an end. I don't even call it a challenge anymore. It's more of a training, a program. Like a fitness plan is not a challenge, but... a fitness plan. I know what's holding me back in life, and with 75HARD training plan, I will get over it. Period.

Snoophek

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
429%
Oct 8, 2016
Right now I just wanted to say thank you to @Yoda and @Primeperiwinkle. Sometimes we have those things growing inside of us that need just the right touch to surface. Your conversation touched me deeply, as it regards my own mindset and approach to life.

I've been thinking about goals a lot recently. In particular, about how I seem to put way more energy into self-improvement than any of my peers and yet have very little to show for it. And I'm really good at bullshitting, but however much I may bullshit, it is not enough to cover up the fact that in the end it's results that matter. And it's nothing to boast about if you've been putting 2, 3 or 4x times the amount of effort if all it did was make you spin faster in circles.

The thing I've observed is that the more I try to force a certain outcome, the less probable it is that I'll make it. And when I fail, I become disappointed and angry with myself, which only makes me want to force the change so much more. Of course, it inevitably leads more more disappointment and the circle continues.

The theory I'm starting to develop is that you cannot change through effort. It is rather the internal change through which the effort starts flowing outwards, until the vision you hold of yourself matches what is manifested in the world. In other words, you cannot improve yourself until you're already improved. All my failed attempts at being better seem to boil down to this discrepancy - the goals didn't really align with who I were.

There is certainly more to this and I still have a lot of holes in my thinking, but maybe some of you will find those thoughts useful. There's a great TED talk that expands on the idea and if you're having problems with changing yourself, I urge you to give it a listen. For me it was very interesting: The 100 Rule

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.