The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Doing Shit, Getting Shit Done after drugs - How the book is doing after 9 months and marketing advice...

Marketing, social media, advertising

drum_hacker

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Nov 20, 2019
Morning/afternoon/evening

I hope you legends are all having equally amazing days and hustling like crazy fools!

Firstly, I don't post much on here but I read as many posts as possible - I cannot begin to explain how thankful I am for this forum and the good work it is doing. Thank you for letting me be a part of it!

So I self published my first ever book (Do Shit, Get Shit Done), focusing on mindset and motivation last June after a pretty rank battle with drugs (amongst a few other things) and I wanted to ask for feedback and advice on the journey I've taken so far. Any help much appreciated!

With no experience whatsoever in the book industry I have bootstrapped the whole project with minimal start up money or ad spend (drug addictions don't leave you with much). Since I self-published in June 2020 I have:

1. Hit #1 on Amazon's 'Hot New Reads'
2. Sold over 2,500 copies and given 1,000+ away
3. Been featured on the BBC1 News
4. Set up an entrepreneurs club for 16-21 year olds' called 'The 100 Club' - a lot of them have set up businesses now and are doing really well
5. Been approached by Waterstones to stock the book
6. Hit over 100 reviews on Amazon
7. Set up a mailing list offering free advice that's 1k members and growing
8. Some other cool af stuff

I'd love to see your guys thoughts on the following as I have hit a bit of a wall...

I am receiving emails and DMs daily from people that have used the book to do all sorts of amazing things, from quitting smoking and losing weight, right up to leaving abusive relationships and taking 'jump off cliff' moments. It's so awesome. I know the book works in helping people to live better lives.

The issue I have currently is that with a Covid hit business (entertainment agency - I made sure all staff were paid up before having to close but left myself right in the shit financially) and setting up a new co with minimal runway to try and get back on my feet, I am stretched for time to say the least.

I know the book can help people to do brilliant things, and I know it is especially needed right now, so I want to scale and 'get it out there'. But with no marketing budget and just myself, I have been trying all sorts of organic marketing strategies - some work well, others don't, but all take time, a lot of time... I am keen to see if anyone on here has any pearls of wisdom that I may not have thought of with regards to the next step? Lit agent? Distro? Marketing? etc etc

If any of you want a free digital copy of the book then just drop me an email to lee@leebridges.co.uk (yup, I'm that douche that has his own name twice in his email addy, and then writes about himself in the 3rd person #gaggaggag) and I'll send you one.

I really appreciate you reading this, and keep up the good work, you sexy mofo you.

Lee
x

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Attachments

• IMG_7655.jpeg
    IMG_7655.jpeg
    305.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5202.jpeg
    IMG_5202.jpeg
    312.9 KB · Views: 3

StephanBg

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 1, 2019
Northern Germany
First congrats to your success! It must have been a tough journey so far, I always wonder if these prerequisites count towards the Commandment of Entry or if "publishing a book" is the only thing determining the level of Entry... I think the first thing has its place, since I believe your experiences made you better at reaching your desired readers.

That said, I wonder why you haven't expanded your efforts with your book directly after your successes and branched out to entertainment?!
On this topic I recently found "Tea with GaryVee", and the second guest in the following video had a similar problem (he had a hit song or something like that). This is the jump mark:
View: https://youtu.be/Xh3nJVsGBFA?list=PLfA33-E9P7FBahSYlSAjOMGsuRPLMWWEO&t=111

Besides posting and writing to others who could feature your book (don't know if it't too late to do everything Gary suggested), I personally would suggest finding what complements your book: a website / blog where you give advice, a forum where people can benefit from the experiences of others and where you can find problems in the same area to go into another book later on, a youtube channel where you interview some of people who have gone through shit. To keep the benefit for the others as high as possible, concentrate on the 20% (or the one thing) that will get you the most. Whether it is the most reach you need, more benefits for (future) readers.

Devilery

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Feb 11, 2019
Just an idea as you are getting DMs and emails daily, why don't you set up a podcast or a youtube channel and talk with these people there? It wouldn't require much in terms of budget, and you already have an email list that you can share the link with.
Start a patreon at first for extra funds, and eventually you can look into building a course (or multiple) that are focused on more narrow areas in terms of mindset, self-improvement, etc.

drum_hacker

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Nov 20, 2019
First congrats to your success! It must have been a tough journey so far, I always wonder if these prerequisites count towards the Commandment of Entry or if "publishing a book" is the only thing determining the level of Entry... I think the first thing has its place, since I believe your experiences made you better at reaching your desired readers.

That said, I wonder why you haven't expanded your efforts with your book directly after your successes and branched out to entertainment?!
On this topic I recently found "Tea with GaryVee", and the second guest in the following video had a similar problem (he had a hit song or something like that). This is the jump mark:
View: https://youtu.be/Xh3nJVsGBFA?list=PLfA33-E9P7FBahSYlSAjOMGsuRPLMWWEO&t=111

Besides posting and writing to others who could feature your book (don't know if it't too late to do everything Gary suggested), I personally would suggest finding what complements your book: a website / blog where you give advice, a forum where people can benefit from the experiences of others and where you can find problems in the same area to go into another book later on, a youtube channel where you interview some of people who have gone through shit. To keep the benefit for the others as high as possible, concentrate on the 20% (or the one thing) that will get you the most. Whether it is the most reach you need, more benefits for (future) readers.
Hey Stephan,

Thank you so much for your response and kindness! Legend!

I think you are totally right.

I have set up a website and mailing list that's doing great, and I really think the next step is to podcast.

Thanks so much for the link too, super interesting watch.

I hope all is awesome at your end :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

drum_hacker

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Nov 20, 2019
Just an idea as you are getting DMs and emails daily, why don't you set up a podcast or a youtube channel and talk with these people there? It wouldn't require much in terms of budget, and you already have an email list that you can share the link with.
Start a patreon at first for extra funds, and eventually you can look into building a course (or multiple) that are focused on more narrow areas in terms of mindset, self-improvement, etc.
Thanks so much for your message mate :) Really appreciate it!

Love that, and deffo on the cards. I want to do a podcast that has video form for YT (rogan etc) so that's the next step for sure.

I actually am writing the second book atm which is course based so really excited to get that out there too.

I hope you're really well brother!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.