The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

GOLD! Ask Me Anything About SaaS ( I'm building my 7th )

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

alexkuzmov

Bronze Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
Hey @eliquid me again :D

Remember a couple of months back I asked you for some advice on onboarding a shady client.
Well it turned out OK, he signed, refused to pay for ~2 months and just when I thought my gut was right, he paid for a full year. So twists and turns I suppose...
Also we kept the prices as they are, kept developing and we got new clients :)

Since then we`ve been steadily onboarding 2-3 clients per month and things are starting to get a bit out of hand in terms of developing.
I cant neglect my job since it pays the bills but I also cant devote my full time to the project.
As a result, we`ve started hardcoding features here and there just so we can keep up with the current and new client requests.
Some features we do integrate into the system, but for half lets say, we do them only for the client that wants them.
I`m hearing my gut again.
On one hand I want to improve on the system, clear out the hardcode, streamline and automate.
On the other hand I keep thinking over and over in my head: Its for the clients, its not for you.

My question is, have you dealt with such a scenario?
Can the project fail because of the accumulated tech debt?
What would you be your advice? Should we slow down/stop with clients until we catch up with development, or keep hardcoding and onboarding until the monthly revenue surpases my income so I can devote 100% to the project?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

PS. Thank you for your previous advice and your time spent ot writting it.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Last edited:
OP
OP
eliquid

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
May 29, 2013
Louisville - Kentucky
Hey @eliquid
Not sure if this is the right thread to post this question.
If it isn’t, I’d appreciate if someone can direct me to the right thread or person to speak with.

I want to do 3 things to my website:

1. Add a filtering feature to filter listings based off information givenby the site’s visitor.
2. Make it possible for businesses to add their listing by filling out a form and the website automatically Creates a page for that business including the given information
3. Create a system where folks can leave reviews and they automatically post to the site.

Anybidy have any experience with this or know someone I can speak to? I might have to outsource it but I’m not sure the ballpark estimate of how much it will cost.

Any feedback is helpful.
You need to reach out to a dev and get an estimate.

There is a lot missing here, in order for me to help you ( such as complexity of your site, your budget, etc )

OP
OP
eliquid

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
May 29, 2013
Louisville - Kentucky
Hey @eliquid me again :D

Remember a couple of months back I asked you for some advice on onboarding a shady client.
Well it turned out OK, he signed, refused to pay for ~2 months and just when I thought my gut was right, he paid for a full year. So twists and turns I suppose...
Also we kept the prices as they are, kept developing and we got new clients :)

Since then we`ve been steadily onboarding 2-3 clients per month and things are starting to get a bit out of hand in terms of developing.
I cant neglect my job since it pays the bills but I also cant devote my full time to the project.
As a result, we`ve started hardcoding features here and there just so we can keep up with the current and new client requests.
Some features we do integrate into the system, but for half lets say, we do them only for the client that wants them.
I`m hearing my gut again.
On one hand I want to improve on the system, clear out the hardcode, streamline and automate.
On the other hand I keep thinking over and over in my head: Its for the clients, its not for you.

My question is, have you dealt with such a scenario?
Can the project fail because of the accumulated tech debt?
What would you be your advice? Should we slow down/stop with clients until we catch up with development, or keep hardcoding and onboarding until the monthly revenue surpases my income so I can devote 100% to the project?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

PS. Thank you for your previous advice and your time spent ot writting it.
Nice to hear!

I have somewhat dealt with that in the past, but not at an extreme level.

The only way the project will fail is IF you fail with it.

You can always go back and recode at your own pace. You can always hire someone once you make good money to recode it at a slow pace.

Money and oppertunities can fade away, especially if competitors creep in or recessions stomp in unexpectedly.

Always get money first. Use that money once obtained to handle your other issues.

OP
OP
eliquid

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
May 29, 2013
Louisville - Kentucky
Sometimes just showing up, even unprepared is enough to win most of your battles.

I began helping a friend of mine with his SaaS in Dec 2019. Helping him with marketing ( no heavy tech stuff ) and almost entirely just SEO within that marketing help I did.

Wanna see how I got them to first page, 5th rank in Google for their largest B2B SaaS term in JUST 6 months with no SEO gameplan?

I don't give away the term or niche, but I wrote this out over at SERPWoo ( my current SaaS ) and here is the ranking right now.

Here are the posts:
Ranking A New Site From Scratch, Day 0
Ranking A New Website From Scratch, Day 1-31
Ranking A New Website From Scratch, Day 31-60
Ranking A New Website From Scratch, Day 61-90
Ranking A New Website From Scratch, Day 91-120

The series is still a work in progress, so there will be future updates.

Last edited:
OP
OP
eliquid

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
May 29, 2013
Louisville - Kentucky
I started this thread in Oct of 2017.

I laid out basically a mini course here within that month of Oct, back in 2017.

Since that time, I have mainly answered questions and not really added a lot more. In those times I couldn't really think of what more I could add honestly after all my major posts.

However, I think I have figured out more I need to post to help you especially after helping a friend with his SaaS ( see post above ) and going through the motions with him for the last 6 months.

So just letting you know I am going to actively post on this thread again ( not just being reactive to questions ) and it might last a week, a month, who knows.

If you all have questions or interests, get them in now please.

livetrue

New Contributor
Oct 27, 2019
Canada
I'm new, and going to be spending my time in the SaaS space quite heavily I anticipate.

How do you find your customers?
When deciding on developing a SaaS product, how are you discovering its value?
Who do you use to service your SaaS products? Do you use AWS? Azure? Your own servers?

OP
OP
eliquid

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
May 29, 2013
Louisville - Kentucky
I'm new, and going to be spending my time in the SaaS space quite heavily I anticipate.

How do you find your customers?
When deciding on developing a SaaS product, how are you discovering its value?
Who do you use to service your SaaS products? Do you use AWS? Azure? Your own servers?
Not trying to be rude, but I have a feeling you haven't read all 14 pages of this thread and the 3 years worth of reading material put into it.

Every one of these questions was answered within its pages already.

I can't reanswer the same questions over and over. Sorry. I know I asked for more questions, but I was expecting ones not already answered here from before.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox's Web Design Guide: Earn $100K this year (Yes, 2020!) and Go Fastlane
Hi guys, I repost here my old review with a small update : Feb 2020 : Hi guys, Just wanted...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
Ah, I should've checked here to find out that it was free! Although, Amazon only charged $2 for...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Pick the one you need most. Some just buy them all. :D Loving your email sequence.
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Dropping a quick note in here to say... if you are on TFL, you are part of an elite group of...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
I joined @Kak's business incubator in the first week of May. During our daily chats we uncovered...

Visit A Forum Sponsor
sponsor

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected - Please Disable

Yes, ads can be annoying. But please...

...to support the Unscripted/Fastlane mission (and to respect the immense amount of time needed to manage this forum) please DISABLE your ad-block. Thank you.

I've Disabled AdBlock