The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Andy's AdWords Course - Get found by the people already looking for you

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Roughly the same period so reasonably comparable.

In terms of sales, he's saying good, but not shared any data with me yet - I actually developed a new lander for them too. My instinct says it's been a good exercise for him - he's continued to pay £250 a day on Adwords... so...
Very nice.

In your screenshot you're not showing Impression Share. Has that gone up too?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MarcUK

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 24, 2017
UK
almost 100% - to be honest, I didn't think it a good metric to look at because in his old campaign he was targeting customers all over the UK, rather than his geo due to poor account setup so impression share probably isn't really something that would be worth looking at as it's almost redundant in this case I think.

Mal0ni

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jul 12, 2017
Toronto
I've been on the AdWords Jumpstart for a couple of weeks now and though I am not entirely through the course yet, I feel it's time for me to share my progress and results so far.

The service I am promoting

A Physiotherapy, health a wellness clinic that my wife just opened in Oakville, Ontario, here is the website: Welcome

How I started before starting the course

I started running an AdWords Express campaign as recommended by Google with....139 Keywords, none of which included the name of the city :/. What was I thinking...

While it did produce views and some visits, none of them converted into calls, call back request or online booking. Not the expected results, obviously

Adwords Xp screenshot.PNG

After the AdWords Jumpstart

I than paused this campaign and ran another one and found out that this is an extremely competitive space and that I need to bid up to $10.00 CPC if I wanted to rank on the search. 2 keywords ended up being the most effective, but really expensive. The ad is only targeting the cities of Oakville and Burlington Ontario.

PhysioDNA Adwords campaign Screenshot.PNG Adgroup Screenshot.PNG Keywords screenshot.PNG

I've also enabled add extensions to help boosting the campaign.

The Results

So far the the AdWord campaign generated 2 online bookings and 6 phone calls, 2 of which converted into bookings, all of them into recurring bookings.
That's not a bad, considering the cost of a treatment but still not quite what I expected.

We're now looking for a way to better optimize that campaign as we can't afford to continue spending so much at the moment.

What's next?

We found out that most of the actions were taken on Tuesdays and Fridays so we will only be running the AdWord campaign on those days for a maximum budget of $50/day.
I also need to perform a more in depth audit of the campaign, get a better understanding of what works and what doesn't. I also need to look for Is there any cheaper more effective keyword I could be using so I will try the following:

Bronte +Physiotherapy
West Oakville +Physiotherapy
South West Oakville +Physiotherapy
Central Oakville +Physiotherapy

Repeat with Massage Therapy.

I will be following up on the progress within the next two weeks.

Thanks a lot for reading!

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I've been on the AdWords Jumpstart for a couple of weeks now and though I am not entirely through the course yet, I feel it's time for me to share my progress and results so far.

A Physiotherapy, health a wellness clinic that my wife just opened in Oakville, Ontario, here is the website: Welcome

I started running an AdWords Express campaign as recommended by Google with....139 Keywords, none of which included the name of the city :/. What was I thinking...

While it did produce views and some visits, none of them converted into calls, call back request or online booking. Not the expected results, obviously

View attachment 16423

I than paused this campaign and ran another one and found out that this is an extremely competitive space and that I need to bid up to $10.00 CPC if I wanted to rank on the search. 2 keywords ended up being the most effective, but really expensive. The ad is only targeting the cities of Oakville and Burlington Ontario.

View attachment 16425 View attachment 16426 View attachment 16427

The Results

So far the the AdWord campaign generated 2 online bookings and 6 phone calls, 2 of which converted into bookings, all of them into recurring bookings.
That's not a bad, considering the cost of a treatment but still not quite what I expected.

We're now looking for a way to better optimize that campaign as we can't afford to continue spending so much at the moment.

What's next?

We found out that most of the actions were taken on Tuesdays and Fridays so we will only be running the AdWord campaign on those days for a maximum budget of $50/day.
I also need to perform a more in depth audit of the campaign, get a better understanding of what works and what doesn't. I also need to look for Is there any cheaper more effective keyword I could be using so I will try the following:

Bronte +Physiotherapy

(Don't forget that students of the course can avail of a 45 min consult for $99.)

Were your conversions from mobiles or non-mobiles?

Do you have a tight "search term -> ad -> landing page" funnel?

Are you running a Weekly Trading sheet?

A few students have expressed an interest in what to do after campaigns are running. I'm working out how to help.

Readerly

Yes and
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Sep 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Hi @Andy Black ,

I read through this thread with great interest last night. It seems like you're really on to something here. I even began thinking about local businesses I know that could benefit from your expertise. To be able to deliver new customers to a client is a powerful thing indeed.

I've noticed, though, that there hasn't been any activity on the thread for over a month. Has the course run its course?

Now that you've gone through an iteration of the course, it'd be great to get a summary breakdown from you. Over the past few months, you've gotten a lot of fantastic, if vague with respect to results, testimonials. A couple students, @TheDillon__ & @MarcUK, have posted anecdotes about tangible successes as a result of what they've learned in the course. Compelling stuff!

One of the selling points you've touted for this course is that you've left out the "fluff." In my own experience as a consumer of educational content, I've often found that providers often commit "fluff by omission," so to speak. Reported results never evolve beyond the anecdotal. (Hackreactor is a noteworthy exception to this. They obsessively track hiring after students graduate.)

Are you in a position to report on the results of the course? It'd be great to see:
  • number of students
  • tangible results for each student (like what TheDillon and MarcUK provided)
  • measurable results in some aggregate form
The problem with anecdotes is that any old course with enough students will have a couple students who can turn a handful of coal into diamonds. Certainly, you can't guarantee results for every participant. Much of it depends on their initiative. But if you can come up with a way to trumpet stellar results in a rigorous way, it'll be a powerful marketing tool for future iterations of the course.

Best,
Sean

Azure

Perpetual Motion
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Mar 12, 2016

View attachment 16423

View attachment 16425 View attachment 16426 View attachment 16427

The Results

What's next?

Bronte +Physiotherapy

Considering the small size of Oakville, do you think that localls will be searching so narrowly?

DVU

In Progress
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Sep 24, 2016
Croatia
Hi @Andy Black ,

I read through this thread with great interest last night. It seems like you're really on to something here. I even began thinking about local businesses I know that could benefit from your expertise. To be able to deliver new customers to a client is a powerful thing indeed.

I've noticed, though, that there hasn't been any activity on the thread for over a month. Has the course run its course?

Now that you've gone through an iteration of the course, it'd be great to get a summary breakdown from you. Over the past few months, you've gotten a lot of fantastic, if vague with respect to results, testimonials. A couple students, @TheDillon__ & @MarcUK, have posted anecdotes about tangible successes as a result of what they've learned in the course. Compelling stuff!

One of the selling points you've touted for this course is that you've left out the "fluff." In my own experience as a consumer of educational content, I've often found that providers often commit "fluff by omission," so to speak. Reported results never evolve beyond the anecdotal. (Hackreactor is a noteworthy exception to this. They obsessively track hiring after students graduate.)

Are you in a position to report on the results of the course? It'd be great to see:
  • number of students
The problem with anecdotes is that any old course with enough students will have a couple students who can turn a handful of coal into diamonds. Certainly, you can't guarantee results for every participant. Much of it depends on their initiative. But if you can come up with a way to trumpet stellar results in a rigorous way, it'll be a powerful marketing tool for future iterations of the course.

Best,
Sean

If you take the course, you will know how to run Google AdWords. That's it.
If you can get businesses to pay you to run AdWords for them this will give you everything you need to do that.

Thats pretty much it.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hi @Andy Black ,

• number of students

Best,
Sean
Hi @Readerly ... thanks for your post. It really had me thinking because my initial response is the same as @DVU above.

The goal of the course is to get you started in AdWords in as short a timeframe as possible.

It's a course for producers not consumers.

The course seems to have done its job. Students of the course got ads running quickly that have a good chance of running better than 99% of ads out there.

The other goals of the course were to give people the understanding of why they're doing what they're doing. And to give them a strategy that will allow them to get some skin in the game, without losing their shirt.

All the feedback that people now "get" it, and that AdWords is demystified enough they can go it alone ... is *exactly* what I was trying to achieve.

As for iterations of the course...

I'm happy with The Jumpstart. It does what it says on the tin.

Some people who are in school or college have asked if there's a payment plan. I may add one.

Some of the students of the course indicated they would like a follow on course where they can look over my shoulder as I manage and optimise a campaign over the initial weeks and months. I've not worked out how to do that. I suspect a forum with follow-alongs would be the best way to do that, but I don't know how to do it without giving away confidential client information.

And the focus of my business is on serving DFY clients, rather than building DIY courses. Maybe I'll get round to it, but creating courses doesn't seem the best way to monetise media buying skills.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Really looking forward to doing this when I start helping a friend with building their website.

I started in Isaacs 18 hour udemy course awhile back. It was great, but my eyes started bleeding about 8 hours in.. and udemy kept crashing lol.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Really looking forward to doing this when I start helping a friend with building their website.

I started in Isaacs 18 hour udemy course awhile back. It was great, but my eyes started bleeding about 8 hours in.. and udemy kept crashing lol.
I'm curious as to what's stopping you pulling the trigger now? Would a monthly payment plan help?

Lol at bleeding eyes. You couldn't pay me to sit through an 18 hour course.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
I'm curious as to what's stopping you pulling the trigger now? Would a monthly payment plan help?

Lol at bleeding eyes. You couldn't pay me to sit through an 18 hour course.
Nope just waiting to start fox 2.0 and get his site done first.

Mal0ni

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jul 12, 2017
Toronto
(Don't forget that students of the course can avail of a 45 min consult for $99.)

Were your conversions from mobiles or non-mobiles?

Do you have a tight "search term -> ad -> landing page" funnel?

Are you running a Weekly Trading sheet?

A few students have expressed an interest in what to do after campaigns are running. I'm working out how to help.

Hey Andy,
Sorry for the late reply here!
Conversions are mostly from mobile, something strange started happening the last few weeks too; the clinic keeps receiving calls from people looking for another clinic, quite frustrating. This only happens when the ad is on.
I do not have a landing page funnel, the ad brings the visitor directly to the website which I most probably need to improve. I'm going through a webdesign course on Udemy to help me with that.

I think I could benefit from a 45 min consult at this point.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
something strange started happening the last few weeks too; the clinic keeps receiving calls from people looking for another clinic, quite frustrating. This only happens when the ad is on.
Check the Search Terms and see if people are searching for the other clinic by name.
Add suitable negatives to prevent your ad showing when people search for other clinics by name.
Also add your clinic name to the headline to deter people who are searching without the clinic name in their search term, but with the clinic name in mind.

Happy to have a chat sometime. Just book yourself in here: www.calendly.com/andyblack

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I was asked the following:

1. Initial setup time per client?
  • There's the setup for the initial campaigns, and then there's the dialling it in (which can involve rebuilding the campaigns quite a few times as you follow your nose).
  • Initial "data gathering" campaigns can be setup in a few hours (after doing keyword research).
  • Dialling it in can take weeks, or months, or never happens and the project gets a bullet to the head.

2. Monthly management time per client?
  • If it's dialled in then this can almost go to zero.
  • I label clients as "High-Touch" or "Low-Touch". My goal is to get them to Low-Touch... which means they're delighted with the ROI and happy to let things run as is.

3. Average compensation rate flat fee, or a percentage of monthly fee?
  • I prefer a flat monthly fee, that increases when the client spend goes up into a different "band".
  • I want to bill the client at the start of the month, and not wait to the end of the month to know how much the fee is.
  • I'm sure the clients prefer that too.

4. Do you have recommended audit tool?
  • I don't use tools personally, so I wouldn't know.
  • I've done some audit videos showing how I do audits though. I'll probably do more,

5. How do I go about managing multiple clients accounts?
  • Managing the AdWords accounts is easy - you create an MCC (My Client Centre) and link client accounts to it. You can have nested MCCs.
  • As for managing the clients... that's the same chestnut as for any business with lots of clients.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
In other news... I really don't like how Facebook groups function.
I do like supporting people who've taken my course though, so am creating a forum to migrate us to.

Maybe I'll change it so the course is part of the forum, and there's an annual fee to be a member of the forum.
That fee would have to be at least what the current course costs, otherwise the people who've already paid will be getting a bum deal.

The forum has been built, I just need to work out how to get everyone over to it.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
I'm down to just one fb group now to be honest (I think you know which one).

I'll be glad to join your forum and course when I'm ready to start learning more about AdWords in the new year! Just gotta get on top of dev first.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I've been asked about the private Facebook group for people who've taken the course, and about the forum I might replace it with.

Initially the private Facebook group was to support people who took the course in case anything wasn't clear and I needed to redo videos. It seems the course was clear enough as no videos needed redoing.

I was concerned I'd spend too much time doing free coaching and consulting within the group, but that's not been the case at all. People have asked sensible and interesting questions and I've enjoyed helping out.

The Facebook group is actually quite quiet and more a place where people ask questions based on progress they're making (and new scenarios they're encountering that I couldn't put into a course).

So far it's not been a community where people have chattered much about their progress, and that's fine.

It feels like a forum would be a good supplement to the course, and people have suggested the next step for them is to follow along as I setup and optimise campaigns.

I'm also constantly asked about freelancing, growing a small agency, building and renting assets, etc. Stuff I've been doing and documenting a bit in my INSIDERS progress thread, but which is hard to find because of the linear format.

I'm working out how to supplement the course so that people can use the skills they've gained and become a freelancer/consultant, grow their agency, grow their business, etc. The way I've been doing it at any rate.

Anyway, nothing concrete yet on what might replace the Facebook group, and I'll continue to provide support in the group until I move us out of Facebook.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Just a heads up...

I'll be moving the course into the forum I've created and will then take it down off Thinkific. The forum will eventually become $999 per year or thereabouts.

Anyone who gets the course for the current price before I take it down gets access to the forum for the rest of 2018, and then can choose to be grandfathered in annually at whatever price they paid ($299 or $399 per year depending on whether you're a TFLF INSIDERS or not).

Readerly

Yes and
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Sep 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Just a heads up...

I'll be moving the course into the forum I've created and will then take it down off Thinkific. The forum will eventually become $999 per year or thereabouts.

Anyone who gets the course for the current price before I take it down gets access to the forum for the rest of 2018, and then can choose to be grandfathered in annually at whatever price they paid ($299 or $399 per year depending on whether you're a TFLF INSIDERS or not).

When's the move happening? Or in other words, what's the deadline for me to get my act together and take advantage of your generous discount? :p

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
When's the move happening? Or in other words, what's the deadline for me to get my act together and take advantage of your generous discount? :p
I'll be turning off the Thinkific course as soon as I find all the videos for the course, get them uploaded to Vimeo, and setup the shopping cart for the forum. Maybe in a week? I want the course migrated before the end of the month so I can get back to focusing on building the DFY side of my biz.

I'll likely increase the fee partway to the $999 while I'm still ironing out wrinkles in the forum, and create waitlists so people join in cohorts.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
I quite like that idea of joining in a cohort group actually. Knowing you are all in the same or similar stage.

I should know tomorrow but I'm most likely signing up. At that price, what I would get and where I want my business to go I kinda can't afford not to.

Kevin K

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 20, 2018
Queens Ny
I'll be turning off the Thinkific course as soon as I find all the videos for the course, get them uploaded to Vimeo, and setup the shopping cart for the forum. Maybe in a week? I want the course migrated before the end of the month so I can get back to focusing on building the DFY side of my biz.

I'll likely increase the fee partway to the $999 while I'm still ironing out wrinkles in the forum, and create waitlists so people join in cohorts.

Andy I would like to sign up to your course . Can you please send me discount code? Thank you.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I quite like that idea of joining in a cohort group actually. Knowing you are all in the same or similar stage.

I should know tomorrow but I'm most likely signing up. At that price, what I would get and where I want my business to go I kinda can't afford not to.
Interesting feedback about the cohorts. It probably doesn't make much of a difference as it only takes an hour or so to go through the course and you'll be able to see what others are up to and understand it too. Might be a good selling point though... I'll bear that in mind.

So far only 2 progress threads have been created in the new forum, but people are encouraged to create them and help each other. Obviously while there's less people I'm able to spend much more time on each person. I did one 20 minute video audit of a member's account, which was fun and what I do many times a month anyway so all I'm doing is capturing what I normally do.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Andy I would like to sign up to your course . Can you please send me discount code? Thank you.
Sent. Thanks for your consideration.

EDIT: Gosh... just spotted you joined TFLF yesterday too @Kevin K , and you've only posted to get the coupon code.

I'm curious. How did you find the forum?

MDbCGVw.png

Last edited:

Kevin K

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 20, 2018
Queens Ny
Sent. Thanks for your consideration.

EDIT: Gosh... just spotted you joined TFLF yesterday too @Kevin K , and you've only posted to get the coupon code.

I'm curious. How did you find the forum?

MDbCGVw.png
Well actually. I have been a tire kicker for years on the forum. Under different name that never posted anything. Just reading from time to time . I decided to set up a new account w my name and join the INSIDERS. I loved your value you post on your threads. Everyone that bought your course loves it.

I heard one of the podcast you were on. You explained that you helped your electrician friend grow his business. Well actually I am an electrician ( for a union) and I am starting my own side business. I know it will definitely pay for itself! Sorry to keep this short ( I am at work) Thank you for the course, the discount :) , and most important the knowledge and support you ( and alot of guys on this forum) give

Gary

Elevatin' the Celebratin'
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Mar 18, 2011
San Diego
Just a heads up...

@Andy Black, As course buyers, whether or not we choose to be forum members after 2018, we will still have access to the course, right?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
@Andy Black, As course buyers, whether or not we choose to be forum members after 2018, we will still have access to the course, right?
Great question! Thanks for asking @Gary.

I'm putting the course into a separate area in the forum I'm creating. I will be able to grant access to that area to people who don't want to join the main forum beyond 2018.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
The forum is taking shape.

I'll upgrade to Xenforo v2, and add a theme as the default one is pretty ugly.
I'm still migrating the videos from the course into the forum.
Then need to configure some cart software so that people create a subscription and it creates an account automagically.

upload_2018-1-30_23-18-3.png

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.