The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Advice needed: Dive in the real world or stay with my parents.

Anything related to matters of the mind

ivailopanamski

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Nov 24, 2019
Sofia, Bulgaria
Hello, guys. I'm a 20 years old, still living in my parents apartment.

I desperately want to move out, because it doesn't feel right to live with them anymore. Currently I work a 4 hour job, so that I have more time to work on my business (from which I still haven't earned a cent) and have time to go to the gym (which makes my mind work better).

The problem is, if I move out with my current salary, I know I will be in survival mode (struggling to meet ends) and I know this is not a good place to be while starting a business. But I feel like I MUST move out of my parents house to take myself to the next level. I feel like this will allow me to spot a lot more needs when I have all this responsibility of living by myself.

So I made a decision to get an 8 hours job, which should be able to provide for my primary needs (food, rent, taxes, etc) and still have some money for my business. The problem is that if I take an 8 hours job, I won't be able give that business I'm working on as much time and attention. I feel like by taking such a job, I'm betraying my entrepreneurial dreams. But at the same time I know that moving out will give me a better perspective on how the real world works.

Just wanted to hear your opinion, guys. Stay with my parents with more free time OR dive in the real world with 4 hours less and more stress. I've already made the decision to move out, but I'm open to criticism. Thank you!

P.S. Sorry about the "me, me, me" post. Someday I will be serving people in need in this forum.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Parks

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jul 20, 2020
Portland
What's your business that you are working on? Does it require capital?

A lot of people would argue being in survival mode requires to push yourself to succeed in your business.

ivailopanamski

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Nov 24, 2019
Sofia, Bulgaria
What's your business that you are working on? Does it require capital?

A lot of people would argue being in survival mode requires to push yourself to succeed in your business.
It's manufacturing of devices for car enthusiasts. It does require capital to produce in large scale, but for now it mostly requires my time to make improvements by programming. Thank you.

Parks

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jul 20, 2020
Portland
It's manufacturing of devices for car enthusiasts. It does require capital to produce in large scale, but for now it mostly requires my time to make improvements by programming. Thank you.

Ok well, what would your life look like day to day living by yourself compared to living with your parents?

Are you just wanting to move out due to social pressure? Would you be more lazy on your own? Or is your mindset good enough to live with you parents and get the deep work done without being lazy (playing video games, wasting money on food).

Living with your parents would give you a great head start saving capital compared to losing it on rent each month. Both options have their benefits.

ivailopanamski

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Nov 24, 2019
Sofia, Bulgaria
Ok well, what would your life look like day to day living by yourself compared to living with your parents?

Are you just wanting to move out due to social pressure? Would you be more lazy on your own? Or is your mindset good enough to live with you parents and get the deep work done without being lazy (playing video games, wasting money on food).

Living with your parents would give you a great head start saving capital compared to losing it on rent each month. Both options have their benefits.
I think I am more lazy when my parents are around. I never play games and plan my meals ahead. Also, I fear that I get influenced by their sidewalker habits. And I don't know if that sounds stupid, but I want to have space where I can invite a girlfriend in the future. Thank you a lot for taking the time to reply!

Robdavis

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
Just wanted to hear your opinion, guys. Stay with my parents with more free time OR dive in the real world with 4 hours less and more stress. I've already made the decision to move out, but I'm open to criticism.
I am thinking that it might be worth considering sticking with the 4 hour job and living at home while you build your business. Then when you have enough money from your job and your business combined you can reward yourself with moving out. It seems to me that if you really want to start a business, then working more hours in a job and expanding your financial outgoings is counter-productive.

ivailopanamski

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Nov 24, 2019
Sofia, Bulgaria
I am thinking that it might be worth considering sticking with the 4 hour job and living at home while you build your business. Then when you have enough money from your job and your business combined you can reward yourself with moving out. It seems to me that if you really want to start a business, then working more hours in a job and expanding your financial outgoings is counter-productive.
Thank you!

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Have you made a sale yet?

ivailopanamski

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Nov 24, 2019
Sofia, Bulgaria
Have you made a sale yet?
No, I haven't. I had 4 people reaching out, asking for details, promising that they will order in a few days and then they never call. So I guess I have a proof that there is demand for my product and I just need to work harder on creating a better offer.

The problem is, i have no idea if this business is going to fail or grow. So I can't rely on that for moving out.

Thank you for the response!

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
You can work an 8 hour job and work on your business in mornings/evenings/weekends. You can even go to the gym too.

It's really that simple.

It reminds me of a time of when I was in college. Freshman year, taking 5 classes, working, rugby, school clubs... ended with a 0.8 GPA. Involved in too many things, didn't have enough discipline, was partying a bit too much and poor time management and lack of experience kicked my a$$. 2 years later I was taking 7 classes a semester so I could graduate on time and was getting close to a 4.0 GPA every semester while still doing all of the above.

Holding down the job and pushing yourself to work on your business in your free time is going to get you further in a year than not. And if you fail, even better. Then you can recalibrate the following year to see what you could do better.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
When I lived at home I got a full time sales job, then I started my business at the same time, and my day looked something like this.

6am: work on business admin stuff, interview employees
9am: car sales job
*pretend to work on computer but actually give people quotes for my business and schedule appointments*
5pm: change out of slacks and tie into work clothes, go do lawn care
9pm: come home and have dinner
10pm: chat up tinder babes
11pm: pass out and do it all again

On days off from work it was full time business.

Then I got enough customers, hired and trained employees, got more customers, then quit my job once I was bringing in like 6k a month.

Is this type of schedule typical? No, but I do not want to be typical, do you?

It's an easy trade, give all to get all. If you want to be great you have to sacrifice. Now is the time to use your energy, discontentment, and complete lack of attachment (no wife, no kids, no bills, no distractions) and pour everything into your life plans and take big risks.

ivailopanamski

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Nov 24, 2019
Sofia, Bulgaria
You can work an 8 hour job and work on your business in mornings/evenings/weekends. You can even go to the gym too.

It's really that simple.

It reminds me of a time of when I was in college. Freshman year, taking 5 classes, working, rugby, school clubs... ended with a 0.8 GPA. Involved in too many things, didn't have enough discipline, was partying a bit too much and poor time management and lack of experience kicked my a$$. 2 years later I was taking 7 classes a semester so I could graduate on time and was getting close to a 4.0 GPA every semester while still doing all of the above.

Holding down the job and pushing yourself to work on your business in your free time is going to get you further in a year than not. And if you fail, even better. Then you can recalibrate the following year to see what you could do better.
Thank you!

ivailopanamski

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Nov 24, 2019
Sofia, Bulgaria
When I lived at home I got a full time sales job, then I started my business at the same time, and my day looked something like this.

6am: work on business admin stuff, interview employees
9am: car sales job
*pretend to work on computer but actually give people quotes for my business and schedule appointments*
5pm: change out of slacks and tie into work clothes, go do lawn care
9pm: come home and have dinner
10pm: chat up tinder babes
11pm: pass out and do it all again

On days off from work it was full time business.

Then I got enough customers, hired and trained employees, got more customers, then quit my job once I was bringing in like 6k a month.

Is this type of schedule typical? No, but I do not want to be typical, do you?

It's an easy trade, give all to get all. If you want to be great you have to sacrifice. Now is the time to use your energy, discontentment, and complete lack of attachment (no wife, no kids, no bills, no distractions) and pour everything into your life plans and take big risks.
Thank you! So do you think it would be beneficial to move out?

fastlane_dad

8 Figure Fastlane Graduate
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
636%
Jun 20, 2017
Scottsdale, AZ
Hello, guys. I'm a 20 years old, still living in my parents apartment.

I desperately want to move out, because it doesn't feel right to live with them anymore. Currently I work a 4 hour job, so that I have more time to work on my business (from which I still haven't earned a cent) and have time to go to the gym (which makes my mind work better).

The problem is, if I move out with my current salary, I know I will be in survival mode (struggling to meet ends) and I know this is not a good place to be while starting a business. But I feel like I MUST move out of my parents house to take myself to the next level. I feel like this will allow me to spot a lot more needs when I have all this responsibility of living by myself.

So I made a decision to get an 8 hours job, which should be able to provide for my primary needs (food, rent, taxes, etc) and still have some money for my business. The problem is that if I take an 8 hours job, I won't be able give that business I'm working on as much time and attention. I feel like by taking such a job, I'm betraying my entrepreneurial dreams. But at the same time I know that moving out will give me a better perspective on how the real world works.

Just wanted to hear your opinion, guys. Stay with my parents with more free time OR dive in the real world with 4 hours less and more stress. I've already made the decision to move out, but I'm open to criticism. Thank you!

P.S. Sorry about the "me, me, me" post. Someday I will be serving people in need in this forum.
You have to be real with yourself about what it is that living with your parents that's causing you discontent or stopping you from moving forward.

I lived at home until ~25 and had time for a full time job (8 hour days), gym, going out + work on business after work 7-11pm daily. This also let me save more money to move out + quit my job so I can focus full time on fastlane businesses. Kept my life more stress free as well without having a rent payment looming over me.

Unless there is a toxic situation, you might just be giving yourself an 'excuse' to not do more of something. If you can't be productive in your parents place, go to a coffee shop, library, etc to get your work done.

Even if you DO move out, don't overspend on your living arrangements and you will be fine. You have time for it all now with no kids, wife, health issues and/or pets.

Good luck and keep us posted on your move forward.

ivailopanamski

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Nov 24, 2019
Sofia, Bulgaria
You have to be real with yourself about what it is that living with your parents that's causing you discontent or stopping you from moving forward.

I lived at home until ~25 and had time for a full time job (8 hour days), gym, going out + work on business after work 7-11pm daily. This also let me save more money to move out + quit my job so I can focus full time on fastlane businesses. Kept my life more stress free as well without having a rent payment looming over me.

Unless there is a toxic situation, you might just be giving yourself an 'excuse' to not do more of something.

Even if you DO move out, don't overspend on your living arrangements and you will be fine. You have time for it all now with no kids, wife, health issues and/or pets.

Good luck and keep us posted on your move forward.
Thank you a lot. I'm still pretty lost. I don't even know if I have big enough market in my small country to make reasonable profits with the business that I'm trying to start. But I guess time will tell.

Parks

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jul 20, 2020
Portland