The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hang out in Google Meet while I show you real-world programming skills

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

Tom H.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Dec 13, 2019
Jaco, Costa Rica
If you want to see what it's like to work as a senior developer and get some exposure to the skills that can earn you a healthy six-figure income, you are invited to hang out with me on Google Meet while I complete real-world programming jobs. This is something I do regularly with co-workers and sometimes with friends. I've gotten great feedback from people who have improved their programming skills, and from people who have been exposed to programming for the first time.

I don't want to waste time or be distracted by idiots, so I'm posting here in the FLF with the hope that this is a smarter pool of people than I might find on another site. I'm happy to share knowledge with you if you're serious about learning these skills, or even if you are just curious to see a little bit of what programming is actually like, as long as you are cool.

The benefit to me is that I enjoy working with other people around. I am a true extrovert, I take whatever energy you bring and convert it into longer hours, increased focus and higher-quality work. I love sharing about programming, it's been one of the few enduring passions that's never left me since I was 11-years old (26 years ago).

I've been sharing my calendar with a few friends and hopping in Google Meet and screen sharing, the same way I do it with my co-workers. If you want to get in the loop on this, reply in the thread and I will get in touch with you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
If you want to see what it's like to work as a senior developer and get some exposure to the skills that can earn you a healthy six-figure income, you are invited to hang out with me on Google Meet while I complete real-world programming jobs. This is something I do regularly with co-workers and sometimes with friends. I've gotten great feedback from people who have improved their programming skills, and from people who have been exposed to programming for the first time.

I don't want to waste time or be distracted by idiots, so I'm posting here in the FLF with the hope that this is a smarter pool of people than I might find on another site. I'm happy to share knowledge with you if you're serious about learning these skills, or even if you are just curious to see a little bit of what programming is actually like, as long as you are cool.

The benefit to me is that I enjoy working with other people around. I am a true extrovert, I take whatever energy you bring and convert it into longer hours, increased focus and higher-quality work. I love sharing about programming, it's been one of the few enduring passions that's never left me since I was 11-years old (26 years ago).

I've been sharing my calendar with a few friends and hopping in Google Meet and screen sharing, the same way I do it with my co-workers. If you want to get in the loop on this, reply in the thread and I will get in touch with you.
For the right person, this is one of the best offers I've seen on the forum. Kudos.

PseudoBobSmith

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Jun 8, 2020
New York

Is this still open?

PseudoBobSmith

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Jun 8, 2020
New York

is this still open?? Thanks so much. I'd love to witness this opportunity.

cdrtz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Nov 29, 2017
Tampa, FL

I am interested, almost 6 figure programmer here, looking to see how I can improve quicker

Diego Liu

Don't worry, NOBODY CARES
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Apr 23, 2020
Taiwan
I'm around 2 weeks into the freeCodeCamp curriculum and now struggle to stay motivated as I have no clear vision of what this will lead to.

I'm definitely interested to have an inside peek. Based on the incredible value you provide in your execution threads, it's a no-brainer for me to hop on the call. :)

ArHS

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jul 23, 2021
I am also interested in this if it is still available, thanks.

Bal Jee

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Mar 28, 2019

This looks like a great opportunity to learn something in real time. Please add me if its available. Thanks

capito

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Aug 5, 2021
I'm interested too, if it's still possible. Thanks

Tom H.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Dec 13, 2019
Jaco, Costa Rica
Thanks for the responses so far! Private messages sent.

Did the first session yesterday and it went great. There is still plenty of room in the schedule for anyone who is interested, just reply in the thread and I'll get in touch with you.

Inventor001

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Mar 6, 2020
That is amazing!
I am learning to program, pretty much at the intermediate level in javascript. Seeing you doing live work will going to improve my programming skills. I appreciate your effort, looking forward to it. :smile:

Last edited:

Honibrahim

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Aug 5, 2021
Thanks for the responses so far! Private messages sent.

Did the first session yesterday and it went great. There is still plenty of room in the schedule for anyone who is interested, just reply in the thread and I'll get in touch with you.
Am interested in your tutoring..wanna start coding but don't know how to go about it..hope you help me out

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
@Tom H.

Hi Tom, I'd love to see how you do things. Great to hear the first session went well.

Tom H.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Dec 13, 2019
Jaco, Costa Rica

Tom H.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Dec 13, 2019
Jaco, Costa Rica
Thanks for all of the interest and thanks to everyone who has joined me so far. Did 3 sessions last week and I really enjoyed it.

Some people have DM'd and emailed me directly. That's fine, but it's easier for me to keep track if you reply to the thread, plus you'll be notified when I post an update like this. I will make an effort to reach out to everyone individually who contacted me directly. If you haven't been added to the Google Calendar, please get back to me via DM.

---

I updated the calendar for this coming week. I published some notes about the sessions this week, you can check the event called "README - - notes for week of 22-28" on Sunday.

I'll put the notes here too, with a few details redacted:

1. Look through the calendar items and if there is a session scheduled that works for you, please email me at [redacted] and I will add you to that event.

2. If a session says "busy" than it is already full.

3. All of the times right now are in the afternoon for me. If there is a time that would work better for you, send me an email with some suggestions, I will try to be flexible and schedule times that can work for everyone, to the best of my ability.

4. This week I am working on a [redacted] implemented as a Chrome extension (this week I am setting up an AWS backend with SQS and S3, and instrumenting with Statsd to monitor the code via a Grafana dashboard. I'm also working on [redacted] app, which is a very simple project, with a Vue frontend and a Python/Flask backend, PostgreSQL for the database, etc.

5. If there are specific types of projects you would be interested in seeing, let me know, I'm open to suggestions. I'm currently working on real-world client work, but I'm willing to seek out client work of specific types that people are interested in, and I'm also willing to work on some open-source side projects when possible.

6. Some people have asked me about streaming on Twitch. If you are interested in that, or have ideas about how to make that work, email me and let me know. Maybe if some people prefer Twitch or Google Hangouts I can do one or the other depending on who is joining the session, or maybe both in a single session if enough people want to join at the same time.

7. Every session so far has been one-on-one. I am definitely willing to invite multiple people to one session, just wanted to try with individuals first.

stantechie

It’s never too late to hit the fast lane!
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Feb 6, 2020
Vancouver
Sounds like an awesome opportunity. Are you going to be working at all with Laravel in the near future? I'm a former PHP/MySQL guy looking to understand Laravel and MVC better.

Tom H.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Dec 13, 2019
Jaco, Costa Rica
Sounds like an awesome opportunity. Are you going to be working at all with Laravel in the near future? I'm a former PHP/MySQL guy looking to understand Laravel and MVC better.
I could do something in Laravel. I'm much more familiar with with Django and Flask when it comes to MVC frameworks. I'd be interested in taking a simple app, like the one I'll be working on later this week, and showing how to build the backend with various languages: Python/Flask, PHP/Laravel, RoR, Go, NodeJS/Express, etc. I would also be interested in finding some open-source Laravel projects that are more complex, reading through the code and looking for areas where we could contribute features, bugfixes or automated tests to the project.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Good for you Tom. I started doing something similar a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it. It’s great for the expert and great for those watching as they look over your shoulder.

I think you’re onto here, as evidenced by the feedback in this thread.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
7. Every session so far has been one-on-one. I am definitely willing to invite multiple people to one session, just wanted to try with individuals first.
I’ve been doing “Office Hours” for a few months. Regular Zoom call where students can login and ask questions and/or look over my shoulder. They can work very well.

Matthew Egan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 23, 2014
Hamilton, New Zealand
Love the idea, I'm in! I took a 'skill-batical' recently to learn full-stack technologies and need exposure like this to help immerse myself in the industry.

showmewhatyougot.gif
letmein.gif

George Appiah

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Aug 16, 2018
Accra, Ghana
If this opportunity is still available, I'd like to join.

I've completed Free Code Camp's Responsive Web Design curriculum (HTML & CSS) already and I've started working on JavaScript. I also have a bit of sysadmin and infrastructure experience, and I've worked with WordPress websites for over a decade, but mostly in infrastructure and support roles.

JavaScript is proving more than I'm able to chew on my own. I'm able to follow the tutorials and I do understand the syntax. But so far I've been unable to actually build anything on my own.

Not So Fun fact: In 2001, I took a programming course (Fortran 77!) back at college during my Electrical & Electronic Engineering degree. The entire semester's course was taught with chalk and backboard -- I'd never touched a computer in my life till then, and I never touched a computer throughout the programming course. That experience made me hate programming so much that I've steered far away from anything to do with programming as much as I could throughout my career. And 20 years on, memories of this chalk-and-blackboard Fortran 77 course comes to me whenever I sit down to learn to program!

Tom H.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Dec 13, 2019
Jaco, Costa Rica
If this opportunity is still available, I'd like to join.

I've completed Free Code Camp's Responsive Web Design curriculum (HTML & CSS) already and I've started working on JavaScript. I also have a bit of sysadmin and infrastructure experience, and I've worked with WordPress websites for over a decade, but mostly in infrastructure and support roles.

JavaScript is proving more than I'm able to chew on my own. I'm able to follow the tutorials and I do understand the syntax. But so far I've been unable to actually build anything on my own.

Not So Fun fact: In 2001, I took a programming course (Fortran 77!) back at college during my Electrical & Electronic Engineering degree. The entire semester's course was taught with chalk and backboard -- I'd never touched a computer in my life till then, and I never touched a computer throughout the programming course. That experience made me hate programming so much that I've steered far away from anything to do with programming as much as I could throughout my career. And 20 years on, memories of this chalk-and-blackboard Fortran 77 course comes to me whenever I sit down to learn to program!
LOL amazing story about Fortran.

Hopefully learning with me will be much more useful and fun.

I'll send you a PM to coordinate.

Val Okafor

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
215%
Nov 14, 2015
San Diego, CA

Great concept. I am motitvated to do the same!. I work for a public traded company so I can't share my slow lane work but I push the button with my side project soon to become full-time gig so I can share that. Never thought of it, thanks for inspiring me.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.