The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

90 Day Cold Calling Challenge

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Crazy GG

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Mar 28, 2018
Riga, Latvia
Day 8 Summary

Dials: 25
Reached: 7 (28%)
Leads: 3 (42%)
Prospects: 0 (0%)

Change of definitions

Before I talk about this day, I have realized one important thing - I won't get any sales just from the initial cold call - follow up is the key.

Therefore, I am changing the definitions (for the purposes of this thread) of lead and prospect:

A lead - someone who I have talked to, might be a good prospect and who is worth following up.
A prospect - someone who is a lead, and who has expressed an interest in what I am selling. Essentially what in days 1-7 was a lead - I will now refer to as a prospect.

About today

So couple of good and bad news today.

Bad news

The reach rate is still quite low. I am suspecting it's because I am calling businesses that are on the page 4-5 on yellow pages which means they might be one-man-bands or not exist anymore. However, that's a wild speculation and I might be wrong.

Good news

First off, I did 25 dials (most I have done in one time) and I did it without any breaks which means my concentration is getting better.

Second of all, I feel I am more confident on the phone and I definitely attribute it to picking up the phone every day.

Third of all, even though I didn't get any prospects today, I got
  • A person who just told me to ring back
  • A person who I managed to talk briefly and told me to call back
  • A person with an 8 year old website
The last person is where I felt I could have done a lot more. He told me his website is 8 years old and is 100% satisfied with his current site, and I couldn't come up with good questions (something to prepare for future) so I left it as that.

I later put his test through a google mobile friendly test and it failed, so I will follow up with the business owner and try again.

Later today I will follow up with other plumbers from previous days.

Crazy GG

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Crazy GG

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Mar 28, 2018
Riga, Latvia
Day 9 Summary

Reached: 10 (40%)
Leads: 3 (30%)

Still no solid prospects but got a couple of weak/medium leads.

I definitely feel more confident on the phone each day which by itself is a big win. However, I still lack confidence to go for the pitch and hence it comes out a bit "pushy".

I am still going in the conversations indirectly just asking the plumbers about their experience with Yellow pages and when they start talking, I find it difficult to transition to websites and hence when I try to transition to my services, it's not smooth at all.

Overall, next week I am planning to try a different niche as most of the plumbers seem one-man-traders and I want to see what the results would be in a different niche.

Crazy GG

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
Great progress.

Even after almost 2 years, I still hate cold-calling. But everybody hates cold showers too, right? Once you're under it, you forget about the cold. The fear is just in your head.

You've been repped.

Crazy GG

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Mar 28, 2018
Riga, Latvia
Great progress.

Even after almost 2 years, I still hate cold-calling. But everybody hates cold showers too, right? Once you're under it, you forget about the cold. The fear is just in your head.

You've been repped.
Thanks, buddy!

Yes, exactly - I always hate picking up the phone but once I do, it's not that hard anymore.

Crazy GG

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Mar 28, 2018
Riga, Latvia
I will echo what others said. Don't hide from being a salesman. Don't deceive.

Don't blend in with other salesman, but don't try to get around it either.
Could you please elaborate what do you mean by that?

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
@Vilox hit the nail on the head. Make it clear you're trying to help them through your skillset, i.e. you are selling them, but don't open up with something other sales people would open up with.

You could even tell them you're selling $5 for $1. That will get their attention and win you points for not being a traditional salesperson. When they say "wait, what?" you tell them you're redoing websites and customers have a 5x ROI (probably best to use that once it's true).

Not sure where this conversations is supposed to go. Just tell them what you're about, but frame it in a way that's beneficial to them. Something along the lines of:

I help companies acquire and retain customers through the Internet vs. I build websites

Good job on keeping the streak going!

Could you please elaborate what do you mean by that?

Crazy GG

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Mar 28, 2018
Riga, Latvia
Day 10 Summary

Reached: 10 (40%)
Leads: 1 (10%)

I took what other's said previously about not shying away from the fact I am selling and going in strong, so I changed my script to following:

Hi, this is Crazy GG. I was calling because I help plumbers stop losing their customers to competition. Can I just quickly say what I am about, and you can decide if you want to keep talking?

So couple of people said "not interested" and dropped the phone right away.

One person actually gave me permission to continue (to which I was pretty surprised and happy) but after my pitch he told me he's not interested.

I find that going in the sale like this you have to come off strong and you must know how to deal with the initial rebuttals at which I am not that good yet.

Using the indirect script I felt like I can get them to stay on the phone longer, but I will give this direct approach a shot for a couple of days since you guys recommended using it.

Overall in 2 weeks I still haven't made a sale but I am getting better each day, and I know it's coming. It's actually quite exciting because I haven't made a single sale in my life from cold calls yet (only from door2door and speaking events), and I really want to crack this nut and learn how to sell on the phone. If I can do that, I can sell from anywhere in the world and that's what keeps me coming back.

Have a good weekend guys,

Crazy GG

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
If you can do 50 calls a day instead of 25, you'll get to a sale twice as fast. If not faster.

Make sure you take notes of the call immediately after the call, especially if you're not recording it. If you're not recording, figure out how.

You'll find there's only half a dozen or so rebuttals, and either they hang up immediately or they stay on the line.

You: "Hey this is GG. I help small businesses ball out like there's no tomorrow"
Them: "Not interested" <click>
You: <make a note to call again in a few days>

OR

You: "Hey this is GG. I help small businesses ball out like there's no tomorrow"
Them: "Not interested" <silence>
You: "Of course you're not interested. I haven't given you a reason to be interested." <give them a reason>
Them: <some other rebuttal>

Write down these rebuttals. I'm serious when I say there's only a single digit number of them. Prepare the responses and use them. Gauge reaction, and after some volume of calls using that script, modify it accordingly.

Also, tweak how you think about this. During the initial cold call, it's not an objection it's just a stall. You haven't proposed anything so they can't object. They can only try to get you off the phone. They're not rejecting what you have to offer, they just want to go about their day. It's your job to keep them on for a few minutes and get enough interest for a follow up call.

Some other tips:

Assume that whoever you're talking to makes the decision. Treat them accordingly. Even if they don't sign the checks, they probably have some input in the decision. Don't treat the gatekeeper like an obstacle, treat them like someone you have to win over.

Even if they're not interested now, they may be interested later. They may be in a bad mood, but are actually interested. They may be interested, but too busy. They may genuinely not be interested. You won't know until you keep calling.

It doesn't hurt to follow up with an email after the call.

I see you've had some other leads. They didn't go anywhere, apparently. Call them and ask why. Or give someone here their number and we'll call them to find out why. Don't waste anything, always be pushing for more data to improve. You can learn more from someone who didn't buy than someone who did.

Go into every cold call believing you can make the sale on that call. No follow ups, no stalls, just a smooth delivery and powerful persuasion leading to an immediate sale.

Crazy GG

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Mar 28, 2018
Riga, Latvia
If you can do 50 calls a day instead of 25, you'll get to a sale twice as fast. If not faster.

I will try to pick the numbers up as I go. Right now my main goal is to stay consistent with doing it each day and then feeling satisfied when I actually pick up the phone each day. And then each week I am gradually increasing the number of calls I make.

Them: "Not interested" <click>
You: <make a note to call again in a few days>

When they say not interested and you still call them in a few days - won't they get pissed off?

Write down these rebuttals. I'm serious when I say there's only a single digit number of them. Prepare the responses and use them. Gauge reaction, and after some volume of calls using that script, modify it accordingly.

I tried to do this once but the responses I came up with didn't work at all - they would still hang up. But you're right, I should try it again.

I have also been thinking that my response to their stall may not be the most important thing (it still is, of course) but actually how I come across the initial line (my energy, tone, confidence etc.) Because I remember I kept switching up my responses and it wouldn't work but I wasn't paying that much attention to my energy.

What do you think about that?

Go into every cold call believing you can make the sale on that call. No follow ups, no stalls, just a smooth delivery and powerful persuasion leading to an immediate sale

Yes, this is really important. For a long time I was going in the sale NOT NOT to LOSE (to get rejected nicely) and just to get through calls even though I should be going in to WIN (get the sale). I still struggle with this, of course. But I am aware of this and so before each call I remind myself why I am doing this - not to just call people randomly but actually get the sale.

Overall, thanks for the long post man - it was really helpful to me!

Crazy GG

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Mar 28, 2018
Riga, Latvia
Day 11 Summary

Leads: 1 (14%)

So this week I am going for landscaping businesses.

I started calling 1PM local time and only 1 out of 10 picked up so I decided to wait until the evening to call the rest and had better success - looks like might have to call later each day.

Today I felt like I could get over my first line of the script (they didn't drop the phone) but I felt like I gave up too easily when they said no. For some I asked if it's okay if I ring in a couple of months to ask if maybe they will be looking for a new site then to which most said okay, but I feel like I should have been more persistent. I was a bit sleepy and didn't have much energy so that might have been a factor, too. At least I picked up the phone.

I guess I don't want to seem pushy which doesn't make me very persistent. But I guess distinguishing a person who says no just to get rid of you and who actually means no comes with practice.

Till tomorrow,

Dianne Cohen

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Sep 7, 2018
Sounds like a plan.

Do you have an ideal client type you are looking for?

And do you have an outline of what you are going to say when connected?

This might sound weird but have two pictures on your desk.

An average type of man and woman.

If a man answers talk to the male picture and if a woman vice versa.

Might just be me though. I like to 'see' who I am talking to. :)

Dan
I love the idea of talking to the pictures. Somehow it is less intimidating.

Crazy GG

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Mar 28, 2018
Riga, Latvia
Day 12 Summary

Dials: 20
Reached: 3 (15%)
Leads: 0 (0%)

Okay, so this was the worst reach rate in the whole 12 days! Yesterday I called the landscapers at 1PM, so today I decided to try 3PM local time. Even worse...

It looks like with landscapers (and other tradespeople), you have to call either really early or after work. Have you guys had similar experience? It's a bit annoying because then I have to wait until 6PM to do the most important thing in my business (prospecting) but I guess I have to take it as it is. Tomorrow I will try to ring early in the morning and after work.

As for the calls, I had two decent conversations out of 3 calls so that's nice. Both of them said that their friend is doing their website (how do you handle an objection like that?), but I continued talking and asked more about their business.

One of them is doing Facebook advertising and I said I can definitely help him out with that, so although he doesn't look like a great prospect (doing everything himself means he just wants to save money), I will take what I get and follow up with him in a couple of weeks.

Other than that, I will begin door2door prospecting next week to supplement my cold calls as I am not getting any sales and I need to get going faster.

Crazy GG

Crazy GG

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Mar 28, 2018
Riga, Latvia
Day 13 & Day 14 Summary

Dials: 40
Reached: 13 (32.50%)
Leads: 4 (13%)

Since I am travelling tomorrow the whole day and cannot make calls, I decided to make calls for both of the days today.

It was a great challenge as it was the first time I did 40 dials. I remember last year this time around I had so much anxiety that I couldn't even do more than 5 dials (no matter they picked up or not), so I feel like that itself is a small victory.

I started calling 8.30 AM local time and had an okay reach rate which got better towards 9.30 AM.

It was a little bit of everything today - 2 people said they were retiring, 2 people dropped the phone and I got 4 leads out of which 1-2 might be solid (follow ups will tell).

A big theme I hear is that many landscapers say "they have enough work and are not looking for more work", and what I say to that is that I am not necessarily looking to get them more work but to make them stand out from competition since everyone looks the same online in their niche. That gets their attention.

After I tell them I will send some of the sites I have done and tell them to just give it a thought - maybe their interest will spark. Maybe I should be doing qualifying but I don't want to irritate them too much since it's the first call and they don't know me.

Will see how the follow ups go but today was a good day I felt!

Crazy GG

Crazy GG

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Mar 28, 2018
Riga, Latvia
Big update:

Today a lead turned into the first real prospect!!!

So just got of a phone with one of the people I spoke today - he seemed quite interested. He also seemed like a very good prospect since he spoke more about what he wants out of the site (more exposure, better quality leads) rather than specifics and price.

I asked him couple of questions to find out what's most important for him which then I summarized back to him so he knows I listened. I told him I will send couple of sites I have done and we can have a chat next Monday.

Hopefully we can close the sale!

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
Is your location of Riga, Latvia incorrect?

Clearly you are part of the club ;)

Dan

Ravens_Shadow

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
643%
Oct 2, 2012
Austin, TX
Congrats on taking consistent action. Rep+

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
The British one of course. :)

Anyhow, not to deflect you from your current path but have you thought about selling your services in conjunction with a third party?

eg, Book-Keepers, Accountants (slightly harder for you) Printers, Work Wear Retailers, Equipment retailers to the end user you are trying to target? That sort of thing.

Dan

Crazy GG

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Mar 28, 2018
Riga, Latvia
The British one of course. :)

Anyhow, not to deflect you from your current path but have you thought about selling your services in conjunction with a third party?

eg, Book-Keepers, Accountants (slightly harder for you) Printers, Work Wear Retailers, Equipment retailers to the end user you are trying to target? That sort of thing.

Dan
I haven't but maybe down the road!

Everyman

Get To The Choppa!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Dec 31, 2015
Ireland
Uuuu maaan. Rep transferred. I smell a lot of difficult action here. I especially like it because

2ix8rj.jpg

I had to read the whole thread in one go (fortunately stumbled upon it when it's still short) and I think it will go far if you continue. Keeping fingers crossed for you.

I am calling plumbers, by the way

These guys are pretty difficult to talk for beginners (I am too a beginner).

You're a young entrepreneur and you're costing us money

Some people have bad days. Some are annoyed by random people calling them all the time. It is what it is. It's not personal. I hope you know this.

P.S. One guy asked me if the website I was offering was for free which was a bit funny. But I guess I wasn't really coming off as important, so I need to sound more assertive.

Well, you can ask these type of people if they offer their service for free, and under what circumstances etc. etc.

It's Monday again - which means I'm back at it!

Why are you limiting yourself to Mon - Fri? Do you have Sat - Sun fully booked? I am asking because weekends are perfectly normal days to call too.

1) Because someboday 2000 years ago named a day, doesn't make the day better or worse...

2) You have (I am guessing) studied the 90 day challenge concept, which stems from AA meetings. There are no days off. You don't stop going for the first 90 days.

Even if your reached metric suffers, then you can adjust and stop, if you see it makes sense or not...

And you can tweak calling hours. So call at 6AM (too early? maybe), or 8PM (too late? maybe). T. Ferris claimed he called before 8AM so the gatekeepers are not there yet (usually salaried 9-5 people), but the owner/manager works 24/7, sometimes...

The reach rate is still quite low.

Have you checked industry statistics? Maybe your numbers are actually better, than low. They are probably average, but again nothing to worry as pick up rates are just pick up rates - how many times you don't pick up a call? And from an unknown number? Etc...

Anyway you are doing really great job. You have inspired me a lot. I need to start doing what you are doing. I have some projects to finish, but actually 90 day cold call challenge has been in my head for a couple of weeks now.

Crazy GG

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Mar 28, 2018
Riga, Latvia
I had to read the whole thread in one go (fortunately stumbled upon it when it's still short) and I think it will go far if you continue. Keeping fingers crossed for you.

Thanks for your support! I am glad it inspired you :)

Why are you limiting yourself to Mon - Fri? Do you have Sat - Sun fully booked? I am asking because weekends are perfectly normal days to call too.

On Sundays I just want to take a break in general but yes, I could be calling on weekends!

You have (I am guessing) studied the 90 day challenge concept, which stems from AA meetings. There are no days off. You don't stop going for the first 90 days.

I actually didn't know that it stems from AA, I just came up with it randomly because I thought 3 months is long enough to get something going.

Crazy GG

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Mar 28, 2018
Riga, Latvia
Day 15 Summary

Leads: 2 (0%)

Okay, so after travelling back to UK for 2 months, I am back at it.

First thing I want to say is that after 3 weeks straight cold calling, the call anxiety is almost gone. Even though it is a good thing, it has one negative - right now I don't get excited anymore just by doing the calls anymore - I need some kind of result and when I don't get it - it feels like I haven't achieved anything.

So today I got 2 weak leads - both of the business owners said they are not looking for a website but I managed to keep them on the phone and get their email for future and agreed to call in couple of months to see if they would be interested then (essentially growing my existing database of leads). Probably won't lead to a sale in the near future but I'm in it for the long game (even though I really need sales now!)

Next week I think I will be going to 40 calls/day. If I can't control how the calls go, at least I can control my effort!

Have a great weekend people!

Crazy GG

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Mar 28, 2018
Riga, Latvia
Day 16 Summary

Reached: 9 (22.5%)
Leads: 0 (0%)

Do you remember when I said that the call anxiety was pretty much gone? Well, it came back :smile: Because of it, I wasn't very confident on the phone and gave up too early after the first "No(s)"

I have realized that a big part of sales success is how you deal with initial resistance from the people you talk to. Most people fear hearing NO as they interpret it as rejection and to be honest - it's one of my big problems as well. As soon as I hear "no", "not interested" or anything related, my brain gets hijacked, any script goes through the window and I start babbling nonsense.

I need to practice staying in conversations with resistance involved and I need to stick to my script.

How do you guys deal with initial sales resistance?

Crazy GG

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Mar 28, 2018
Riga, Latvia
Day 17 Summary

Reached: 9 (22.50%)
Leads: 1 (12.50%)

Before starting the calls today, I wrote above my script "The sales starts with a NO" in order to mentally prepare myself for the initial sales resistance. It seemed to help because I was expecting it and was able to continue the conversation.

Because of this, I was able to turn an initially "not-interested" lead into a semi-solid lead. It wasn't perfect by any means but the fact I did it made me feel like I am actually getting better at sales!

Other than that, most of the other people were not interested and stayed not interested. Part of the reason I feel is that they don't have the site to begin with which means that they are probably small and are not the ideal customer.

I am going to be honest, part of that is my eagerness to build the lists as fast as possible so I pretty much go for any business on Yellow pages and most of the businesses have no website there. I just don't want to overspend my time building lists and instead focus on just getting good on the phone. Once I am alright on the phone, I will focus on better leads. Otherwise I will spend a lot of time getting good lists and throwing them away with my inability to sell on the phone.

Crazy GG

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
You get better at sales by attempting to sell to the correct market not an incorrect market.

If you are phoning tradespeople from Yellow Pages in UK who do not have a website 25 years after companies started to get them then they 'probably' are not interested.

Your reach rate is about right for people picking up the phone but your conversion is zero if you want it in black and white. Your ethic is great though so don't take that too negatively.

These are Yellow Pages stats for selling websites to their client list through sheer call volume.

This was Telesales making calls out of Reading HQ under HIBU name when they came up with that stupid name.

400 dials a day = 2000 dials a week = 8 sales of basic website made by outsourced company in India for pittance. Moreover the sites are crap and the domain is owned by Yell so if the business cancels the ongoing monthly fee they do not even have the great domain they thought of.

Dan

Crazy GG

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Mar 28, 2018
Riga, Latvia
You get better at sales by attempting to sell to the correct market not an incorrect market.

If you are phoning tradespeople from Yellow Pages in UK who do not have a website 25 years after companies started to get them then they 'probably' are not interested.

Your reach rate is about right for people picking up the phone but your conversion is zero if you want it in black and white. Your ethic is great though so don't take that too negatively.

These are Yellow Pages stats for selling websites to their client list through sheer call volume.

This was Telesales making calls out of Reading HQ under HIBU name when they came up with that stupid name.

400 dials a day = 2000 dials a week = 8 sales of basic website made by outsourced company in India for pittance. Moreover the sites are crap and the domain is owned by Yell so if the business cancels the ongoing monthly fee they do not even have the great domain they thought of.

Dan

Hey Dan, thanks for your honest feedback.

Right now I haven't made any sales, but I am actually accumulating some interested prospects. But I could be reaching out to better prospects!

Do you have any tips on how to prepare better lists without overspending too much time? Use Google instead of Yellow pages?

Crazy GG

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Mar 28, 2018
Riga, Latvia
How many leads/sales so far?
Zero sales, but I have about 2-6 medium prospects that have expressed interest and I am chasing them around.

Today I had a call with a lady, she said she liked my previous work, she didn't like her current site but she said she was too busy now and didn't want to pull the trigger now, so said to call back mid-January. I was pretty disappointed because I felt like I let it slip out of my hands...

The thing is - I don't have much experience with sales calls where you're supposed to close the sale (because I haven't made it that far too often), so to be honest, it's not a big surprise if I will lose a couple of sales in that last stage while I learn.

But I am still excited because at least I can see some results of my cold calling. And that first sale is coming soon, I can almost feel it!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.