The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

February Cold-calling Challenge: 1 more person every day.

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

AndreiR

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Aug 30, 2017
Toronto, ON, CAN
I run a web design business and have been doing so for several years now. I've been doing well with word of mouth and referrals, but I want to get to the point this year where me and my freelancers are getting 1 website per week (and 40 a year). One of the things I regret most in my business is not sticking to cold calling more intensely when I first started a long time ago. There's just something about the 1-on-1 sales aspect of it that informs your decisions as you graduate from sales and into marketing and past that, branding. (The way I see it a business goes from primarily being sales-focused, to being marketing-focused, to being branding-focused. You're doing all 3 at once oftentimes, but you won't see a 1-man show hire a large branding agency and you won't see coca cola cold-calling potential customers).

Cold-calling has always made me nervous and I've that's why I've decided to challenge myself for the month of February. If you look at my post history, I had a January challenge that I've successfully completed (almost), but it wasn't related to my business. For February I'll do something similar, but I'll also do a cold-calling challenge.

So every day I'm going to call 1 more person than I did the day before. I'm using a paid directory to find high-quality leads.

The last day of February will be 22 people that I'm going to cold-call. That's definitely doable. I'm going to count calls that don't go through also. They're high-quality leads though. I know it's still a bit of a cheat to count those, but I'm lucky enough that I still do have website projects to work on and a steady base of referrals, so I don't need to go hardcore with the cold-calling.

I thought I'd start early, because what's 1 call going to do? Btw, that's the mentality that gets you to take action. Break down a scary action into the smallest possible task and then build from there. I clearly couldn't do 10 calls a day from 0, but I can definitely do 1. And I suspect that each day is going to feel as easy as the day before, since it's just going to be 1 more (up until a limit where time really becomes an issue).

Day 1:
Called someone with their website down and a simple 'website coming soon' page. They seemed open to the idea but I could hear noise in the background, and they asked if they could call me back. I said sure, knowing that I'll just call them back again next week if they don't call me back.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Drwakiza

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Aug 8, 2021
Good luck on that. I can relate to you not being comfortable with cold calling.
I work in sales and this is part of my daily practice to cold call so if I can give you a piece of advice, you will only get comfortable after making several calls. The first ones are the worst, but call after call it will just get easier.
Enjoy

AndreiR

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Aug 30, 2017
Toronto, ON, CAN
Bad news. I slacked off on Monday and today I got busy with calls and putting out fires. But I reckon even that is a cope, since how hard is it really to make 2 calls?

I think experiencing a bit of success can be a dangerous thing because if I had absolutely nothing to work on or do I'd have less of an opportunity to make excuses. But I know that making these calls will be a revolutionary thing in getting to the next level in my business, not just through breaking a mental barrier, but in understanding my potential clients better.

Oh well, I'll try again tomorrow.

AndreiR

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Aug 30, 2017
Toronto, ON, CAN
I ended up calling 2 businesses today but they were warm leads that I had received from fellow BNI members. They weren't really qualified either.

Of course, outside of my calls I did get a new client (a therapist) and things are going well outside of this in various ways- but that's not what this challenge is for.

I have a list of businesses to contact and am going to do 3 calls tomorrow.

Hitch-hiker

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jul 23, 2019
Poland
I have never done cold calling before because I get so stressed, but I really want to do it for the same reason as you.
I saw a technique on YouTube that one should call a hotel for example to ask if they have parking area - I started doing it and I think I'm getting less stressed on the phone with every call I make.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
629%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Record your closing ratio, average deal size, and then you can calculate the average amount of money you bring in per call.

100 calls = one deal
one deal=$2500 average

$2500/100=$25 per phone call

You want to make 300k this year?

300k/25=12k calls

12k/365=33 calls a day every day.

It's just math and discipline.

Get a single salesperson to knock out 50 a day 5 days a week and you'll be rolling in it.

I would suggest banging out calls like a telephone terrorist, recording your numbers religiously, creating a good script that is a good fit for your business and your leads, then hiring someone to make the calls to screen people, then only talking personally to warm leads who want to do business and need a quote. You can close them and make sure all expectations are set.

Then you're making a few hundred grand a year and only doing the fun parts of the business. Win-win. I make sure to only be doing the fun parts of my business these days. I do sales appointments because it gets me high signing up customers and running their credit cards, everything else is done by employees.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
you won't see coca cola cold-calling potential customers).

I'm not sure this part is true. For example, sports teams have as strong a brand as anyone, and they will cold call people for season tickets.

Behind the scenes in the food market, there's definitely cold calling that takes place.

I can't speak to Coca-Cola specifically, but I wouldn't be surprised to find out that they have salespeople behind the scenes cold calling to expand their market share. I mean they've got to open up a new countries somehow...

Sure, they aren't cold calling the end user, but that's probably more a factor of margins...

Not trying to argue. Just trying to illustrate that cold calling can be an effective tactic at any stage of the business.

Keep that in mind for tomorrow.

Go get 'em!

Last edited:

Hitch-hiker

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jul 23, 2019
Poland
Wow! There is so much value in those last 2 posts.
Thank you guys for it!

Itizn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Sep 25, 2019
Colombia
"cold calling makes me nervous"

Forgot where I read this but, enjoy the stage fright aspect of cold calling while it's there. Eventually it becomes stage boredom.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.