• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

EXECUTION 90 Day Cold Calling Challenge

Discussion in 'Progress/Execution Threads' started by Crazy GG, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Crazy GG

Crazy GG Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $223
    Day 5 Summary

Dials: 23
    Reached: 9 (39.1%)
    Leads: 0 (0%)

Not the best day on the phone. Didn't reach many people and didn't get much out of the people I did reach.

People seemed to be put off by the idea of me wanting to ask questions as they see it as a waste of time, so possibly need to think of a more compelling opening line.

Still, the biggest thing to improve is my questions and getting plumbers to change their mind about online.

In the two solid conversations I did have today, the plumbers said they considered anything related to online a waste of time and they said they are getting enough work anyways.

When I asked if they thought whether a poor online presence (i.e. bad website) could speak negatively about their service (even to their referral customers), they even said yes but I didn't manage to build enough pain points.

Next week I will try to improve even more on my questions and possibly switch some things up in the opening line.

Have a great weekend guys,

Crazy GG

Kingmaker, lowtek and Vilox like this.
  2. Crazy GG

Rep Bank:
    $223
    Day 6 Summary

Dials: 20
    Reached: 14 (70%)

It's Monday again - which means I'm back at it!

Today I had a very good reach rate which means that my previous hypothesis that people don't pick up the phone on Mondays was wrong.

I continued with the previous week's script but the first couple of calls didn't get past the initial line. That was probably due to the fact that there is not much value for the person answering (who wants to give his/her opinion to a random person who sounds like a salesman).

I decided to switch up the opening line and make it shorter: Hi! I'm not a customer, I just had couple of questions about plumbing industry and I thought maybe you guys could help. Do you have two minutes?

After all people like to help out, and I thought this line doesn't sound so "salesy".

It worked a bit better and instead of people telling me they're not interested or dropping the phone, they hesitated and thought about what I was asking (which means I wasn't triggering the SALESMAN sensor as much)

About 3-4 people asked me to call back this evening as supposedly it wasn't a good time to talk, so will do that this evening.

Other than that, I had one solid conversation with a plumber who said he considers online presence very important for his business. Unfortunately he already is getting his site updated already but he might be a good lead if I decide to sell digital marketing services for plumbers down the road.

That's it for today. Hopefully I get something in the evening when I follow up with those 3-4 people.

Crazy GG

3. Crazy GG

Rep Bank:
    $223
    Day 7 Summary

Reached: 6 (30%)

After yesterday's unusually high reach rate, today I reached very low number of companies.

I thought a lot how I can adapt the opening line of the script to include something of value to the person picking up the phone which I felt I was missing in the previous days.

Since I am calling companies I find on one of the biggest online directories in UK and a lot of business I have talked to are not satisfied with it, I decided to go for that:

Hey, I was calling because I saw your company on Yell. I wanted to find out what kind of experience have you had with them?

I definitely didn't talk to enough people today to judge the effectiveness of this line but I myself feel a lot more confident using it, and I think the confidence is what matters most not the actual words so good enough for me.

I will now follow up with the companies that didn't pick up by email.

Still no sales, but I am trying to keep positive and look long-term.

Crazy GG

4. Vilox

Vilox Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,437
    Not sure where this conversations is supposed to go. Just tell them what you're about, but frame it in a way that's beneficial to them. Something along the lines of:

I help companies acquire and retain customers through the Internet vs. I build websites

Good job on keeping the streak going!

lowtek likes this.
  5. Crazy GG

Rep Bank:
    $223
    I'm trying to avoid their "saleman sensor" by starting the conversation indirectly. The goal is to get them opening up because many of the plumbers hate Yell and I am hoping that some of them would start going off about it and then I could jump in with my pitch.

This is more of a direct approach and direct approaches hasn't worked well for me (I tried them day 1 and 2) as most of the people say "not interested" and drop the phone.

What do you say after the first line? "I was wondering if you're looking for more customers?" - something like that?

6. Crazy GG

Rep Bank:
    $223
    Day 8 Summary

Dials: 25
    Reached: 7 (28%)
    Leads: 3 (42%)
    Prospects: 0 (0%)

Change of definitions

Before I talk about this day, I have realized one important thing - I won't get any sales just from the initial cold call - follow up is the key.

Therefore, I am changing the definitions (for the purposes of this thread) of lead and prospect:

A lead - someone who I have talked to, might be a good prospect and who is worth following up.
    A prospect - someone who is a lead, and who has expressed an interest in what I am selling. Essentially what in days 1-7 was a lead - I will now refer to as a prospect.

About today

So couple of good and bad news today.

Bad news

The reach rate is still quite low. I am suspecting it's because I am calling businesses that are on the page 4-5 on yellow pages which means they might be one-man-bands or not exist anymore. However, that's a wild speculation and I might be wrong.

Good news

First off, I did 25 dials (most I have done in one time) and I did it without any breaks which means my concentration is getting better.

Second of all, I feel I am more confident on the phone and I definitely attribute it to picking up the phone every day.

Third of all, even though I didn't get any prospects today, I got
    • A person who just told me to ring back
    • A person who I managed to talk briefly and told me to call back
    • A person with an 8 year old website
    The last person is where I felt I could have done a lot more. He told me his website is 8 years old and is 100% satisfied with his current site, and I couldn't come up with good questions (something to prepare for future) so I left it as that.

I later put his test through a google mobile friendly test and it failed, so I will follow up with the business owner and try again.

Later today I will follow up with other plumbers from previous days.

Crazy GG

Longinus likes this.
  7. Crazy GG

Rep Bank:
    $223
    Day 9 Summary

Reached: 10 (40%)
    Leads: 3 (30%)

Still no solid prospects but got a couple of weak/medium leads.

I definitely feel more confident on the phone each day which by itself is a big win. However, I still lack confidence to go for the pitch and hence it comes out a bit "pushy".

I am still going in the conversations indirectly just asking the plumbers about their experience with Yellow pages and when they start talking, I find it difficult to transition to websites and hence when I try to transition to my services, it's not smooth at all.

Overall, next week I am planning to try a different niche as most of the plumbers seem one-man-traders and I want to see what the results would be in a different niche.

Crazy GG

Vilox and Longinus like this.
  8. Longinus

Longinus Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $12,613
    Great progress.

Even after almost 2 years, I still hate cold-calling. But everybody hates cold showers too, right? Once you're under it, you forget about the cold. The fear is just in your head.

You've been repped.

lucasb, Vilox and Crazy GG like this.
  9. Crazy GG

Rep Bank:
    $223
    Thanks, buddy!

Yes, exactly - I always hate picking up the phone but once I do, it's not that hard anymore.

10. lowtek

lowtek Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $17,225
    I will echo what others said. Don't hide from being a salesman. Don't deceive.

Don't blend in with other salesman, but don't try to get around it either.

Vilox likes this.
  11. Crazy GG

Rep Bank:
    $223
    Could you please elaborate what do you mean by that?

12. lowtek

lowtek Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $17,225
    @Vilox hit the nail on the head. Make it clear you're trying to help them through your skillset, i.e. you are selling them, but don't open up with something other sales people would open up with.

You could even tell them you're selling $5 for $1. That will get their attention and win you points for not being a traditional salesperson. When they say "wait, what?" you tell them you're redoing websites and customers have a 5x ROI (probably best to use that once it's true).

Crazy GG and Vilox like this.
  13. Crazy GG

Rep Bank:
    $223
    Day 10 Summary

Reached: 10 (40%)
    Leads: 1 (10%)

I took what other's said previously about not shying away from the fact I am selling and going in strong, so I changed my script to following:

Hi, this is Crazy GG. I was calling because I help plumbers stop losing their customers to competition. Can I just quickly say what I am about, and you can decide if you want to keep talking?

So couple of people said "not interested" and dropped the phone right away.

One person actually gave me permission to continue (to which I was pretty surprised and happy) but after my pitch he told me he's not interested.

I find that going in the sale like this you have to come off strong and you must know how to deal with the initial rebuttals at which I am not that good yet.

Using the indirect script I felt like I can get them to stay on the phone longer, but I will give this direct approach a shot for a couple of days since you guys recommended using it.

Overall in 2 weeks I still haven't made a sale but I am getting better each day, and I know it's coming. It's actually quite exciting because I haven't made a single sale in my life from cold calls yet (only from door2door and speaking events), and I really want to crack this nut and learn how to sell on the phone. If I can do that, I can sell from anywhere in the world and that's what keeps me coming back.

Have a good weekend guys,

Crazy GG

lowtek and Longinus like this.
  14. lowtek

Rep Bank:
    $17,225
    If you can do 50 calls a day instead of 25, you'll get to a sale twice as fast. If not faster.

Make sure you take notes of the call immediately after the call, especially if you're not recording it. If you're not recording, figure out how.

You'll find there's only half a dozen or so rebuttals, and either they hang up immediately or they stay on the line.

You: "Hey this is GG. I help small businesses ball out like there's no tomorrow"
    Them: "Not interested" <click>
    You: <make a note to call again in a few days>

OR

You: "Hey this is GG. I help small businesses ball out like there's no tomorrow"
    Them: "Not interested" <silence>
    You: "Of course you're not interested. I haven't given you a reason to be interested." <give them a reason>
    Them: <some other rebuttal>

Write down these rebuttals. I'm serious when I say there's only a single digit number of them. Prepare the responses and use them. Gauge reaction, and after some volume of calls using that script, modify it accordingly.

Also, tweak how you think about this. During the initial cold call, it's not an objection it's just a stall. You haven't proposed anything so they can't object. They can only try to get you off the phone. They're not rejecting what you have to offer, they just want to go about their day. It's your job to keep them on for a few minutes and get enough interest for a follow up call.

Some other tips:

Assume that whoever you're talking to makes the decision. Treat them accordingly. Even if they don't sign the checks, they probably have some input in the decision. Don't treat the gatekeeper like an obstacle, treat them like someone you have to win over.

Even if they're not interested now, they may be interested later. They may be in a bad mood, but are actually interested. They may be interested, but too busy. They may genuinely not be interested. You won't know until you keep calling.

It doesn't hurt to follow up with an email after the call.

I see you've had some other leads. They didn't go anywhere, apparently. Call them and ask why. Or give someone here their number and we'll call them to find out why. Don't waste anything, always be pushing for more data to improve. You can learn more from someone who didn't buy than someone who did.

Go into every cold call believing you can make the sale on that call. No follow ups, no stalls, just a smooth delivery and powerful persuasion leading to an immediate sale.

Ungodly, Crazy GG, GWan and 1 other person like this.
  15. Crazy GG

Rep Bank:
    $223
    I will try to pick the numbers up as I go. Right now my main goal is to stay consistent with doing it each day and then feeling satisfied when I actually pick up the phone each day. And then each week I am gradually increasing the number of calls I make.

When they say not interested and you still call them in a few days - won't they get pissed off?

I tried to do this once but the responses I came up with didn't work at all - they would still hang up. But you're right, I should try it again.

I have also been thinking that my response to their stall may not be the most important thing (it still is, of course) but actually how I come across the initial line (my energy, tone, confidence etc.) Because I remember I kept switching up my responses and it wouldn't work but I wasn't paying that much attention to my energy.

What do you think about that?

Yes, this is really important. For a long time I was going in the sale NOT NOT to LOSE (to get rejected nicely) and just to get through calls even though I should be going in to WIN (get the sale). I still struggle with this, of course. But I am aware of this and so before each call I remind myself why I am doing this - not to just call people randomly but actually get the sale.

Overall, thanks for the long post man - it was really helpful to me!

16. Crazy GG

Rep Bank:
    $223
    Day 11 Summary

Reached: 7 (28%)
    Leads: 1 (14%)

So this week I am going for landscaping businesses.

I started calling 1PM local time and only 1 out of 10 picked up so I decided to wait until the evening to call the rest and had better success - looks like might have to call later each day.

Today I felt like I could get over my first line of the script (they didn't drop the phone) but I felt like I gave up too easily when they said no. For some I asked if it's okay if I ring in a couple of months to ask if maybe they will be looking for a new site then to which most said okay, but I feel like I should have been more persistent. I was a bit sleepy and didn't have much energy so that might have been a factor, too. At least I picked up the phone.

I guess I don't want to seem pushy which doesn't make me very persistent. But I guess distinguishing a person who says no just to get rid of you and who actually means no comes with practice.

Till tomorrow,

lowtek likes this.
  17. lowtek

Rep Bank:
    $17,225
    You won't be able to kill it every day, but keeping up the momentum means today was a win.

Keep learning and improving, you'll get there.

Crazy GG likes this.
  18. Dianne Cohen

Dianne Cohen New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $46
    I love the idea of talking to the pictures. Somehow it is less intimidating.

Crazy GG likes this.
  19. Crazy GG

Rep Bank:
    $223
    Day 12 Summary

Reached: 3 (15%)

Okay, so this was the worst reach rate in the whole 12 days! Yesterday I called the landscapers at 1PM, so today I decided to try 3PM local time. Even worse...

It looks like with landscapers (and other tradespeople), you have to call either really early or after work. Have you guys had similar experience? It's a bit annoying because then I have to wait until 6PM to do the most important thing in my business (prospecting) but I guess I have to take it as it is. Tomorrow I will try to ring early in the morning and after work.

As for the calls, I had two decent conversations out of 3 calls so that's nice. Both of them said that their friend is doing their website (how do you handle an objection like that?), but I continued talking and asked more about their business.

One of them is doing Facebook advertising and I said I can definitely help him out with that, so although he doesn't look like a great prospect (doing everything himself means he just wants to save money), I will take what I get and follow up with him in a couple of weeks.

Other than that, I will begin door2door prospecting next week to supplement my cold calls as I am not getting any sales and I need to get going faster.

Crazy GG