• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

EXECUTION 90 Day Cold Calling Challenge

Discussion in 'Progress/Execution Threads' started by Crazy GG, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Amro

Amro New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $96
    Hi @Crazy GG

When someone is a potential sale you should always call him/her instead of them calling you. Keep control and always try to call them back asap.

Your only 1 mm from your first sale.

Well done!

Regards,
    Amro

Everyman and Crazy GG like this.
  2. Crazy GG

Crazy GG Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $898
    Update: I called the guy up and he said he had a chat with his girlfriend yesterday and she said she will do the site for him as she already done one for herself.

I gotta say it's very disappointing as I had prepared for him to say no for various different reasons (price, not enough value etc) and was ready to overcome those objections, but I didn't expect that one so I was kinda taken aback.

I asked him was there anything that made him change up his mind but he said that he liked everything I was offering him and it really was just the fact that the girlfriend offered to do it for him.

I wanted to ask "do you think your girlfriend will be able to make a site of such a quality you are hoping for?" (yesterday he told me he wants a modern Apple style website), but I felt like that would be too aggressive and just gave in.

It sucks, but that's life I guess. I will put a note to check if he has a new site in 2 months and call him if he doesn't but so far it looks like I will need to focus on my other leads

Longinus and Everyman like this.
  3. MaxKhalus

MaxKhalus New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $7
    Well, it seems you have a big cold calling challenge. Since I have no experience about it, I'll tell you about someone who does. (I guess you already know who I am thinking about) The cold calling king is Dan Lok. It would be great to document yourself while taking action because it will definitely increase your success probabilities per call. But, If you are going to do this, mind that it is far more powerful to be done AFTER you have made those daily cold calls.

Crazy GG likes this.
  4. Crazy GG

Rep Bank:
    $898
    Day 24 Summary

Dials: 20
    Reached: 9 (45%)
    Leads: 0 (0%)
    Prospects: 0 (0%)

Today I decided to switch around the script and make it more gradual.

Hi, is this x? .My name is Crazy GG - I was just calling because I am a young entrepreneur from Bristol and I wanted to reach out to you...

Most people allow me to go ahead after this and I think it buys me a bit more attention but on the other hand it leaves people confused at first, so it might not be that good.

Today I also decided to try to "flip the switch" when addressing common objections I get. For example, a lot of people say "I have too much work already" and I replied "I actually try to get you less work". Some of the people are really taken aback by this and then I explain that what I try to do is to get them better-paying customers so they have to take less work. It didn't work that well today but I think there is potential.

Also, I talked to one of the plumber leads today and he took me apart really good. Basically he asked how I can improve on his current site and I told him that I can improve 1) copywriting 2) the actual design 3) add brand story and hence get him more customers to which he then asked me - "can your new site get more than 200 calls/day" to which I didn't know how to respond. He then went on to say that I can't sell him a site without SEO and that I need to research more about the plumbing industry to sell him anything. How would you guys handle this?

Everyman, MakeItHappen and Kid like this.
  5. Longinus

Longinus Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $13,029
    From experience I can say that "no" as an answer, is the second best answer you can get. I had/have many clients who were doubting or couldn't say no. They're very time-consuming and lead to nowhere. Just be grateful he just turned you down so soon.

The fact that you sparked interest means you're on the right track.

Big balls you own. Keep going!

6. PinPointing

PinPointing New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $259
    I've been jumping into a lot of cold calling recently as well. I went to a meetup in my area put up by a sales training company and they told us about pattern interrupting. everyone has an unconscious script they run when someone calls them.

I've been saying this: Hey persons name, I'm going to be honest with you, this is a sales call. Do you want to just hang up right now?

They usually laugh as say what do you have for me.

To make this work you have to make sure your tonality is on point and playful.

Kid, Everyman, Crazy GG and 1 other person like this.
  7. The Abundant Man

The Abundant Man Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,972
    That's a good one. lol

At the end of my calls I always tell them, "Thanks for the call because you are the best person in the world."

8. Sebastya

Sebastya Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $1,457
    Lol I'm sure some actually take you up on the offer

Crazy GG likes this.
  9. todonelist

todonelist Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $242
    I think this is a good way to rebuttal the quick "not interested" replies in order to win a couple more minutes.

Them: "not interested"
    You: *small chuckle* You know what? I rarely find a person to be interested right away! I mean at this point I'm just a stranger selling websites but if you give me two minutes, I think I can peak your interest :)"

*said with a confident, light-hearted tonality.

10. TheGreatGenius

TheGreatGenius New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $32
    Hello,
    Try this it may be of help,

Offer your service FREE OF CHARGE!!, your condition being;

- I will change up your website to increase conversion rates, if it leads to more business within such and such, then we can discuss the charges for my services

- If it doesn't you have NOTHING to lose

It sounds crazy, but imagine on the other end of the call, you probably won't risk your business to buy something you are not sure of

Reduce the risk to the customer, if your work is good, then the rewards shall flow.

All the best

lowtek and Crazy GG like this.
  11. TheGreatGenius

TheGreatGenius New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $32
    Hello,
    Try this it may be of help,

Offer your service FREE OF CHARGE!!, your condition being;

- I will change up your website to increase conversion rates, if it leads to more business within such and such, then we can discuss the charges for my services

- If it doesn't you have NOTHING to lose

It sounds crazy, but imagine on the other end of the call, you probably won't risk your business to buy something you are not sure of

Reduce the risk to the customer, if your work is good, then the rewards shall flow.

All the best

jpanarra likes this.
  12. Crazy GG

Rep Bank:
    $898
    I love this! Gotta give it a go one day

todonelist likes this.
  13. Crazy GG

Rep Bank:
    $898
    Day 25 Summary

Dials: 24
    Reached: 9 (37.50%)
    Leads: 1 (14.29%)

Because I had an interview for a part time sales job this morning at 10 AM, I knew I had to start making the calls before 9 AM. I always hesitate making them before 9 AM as I feel like it's sort of "out of business hours" but actually a lot more people picked up the phone than usual - 37.50% reach rate for me is pretty good.

About the calls - I have noticed recently that when I mention websites, a lot of people immediately say "I don't need any advertising". Even though related, having a website online is not really advertising and when I have trouble getting that across to the people I am talking to as most of them think website=advertising. In my opinion, having a good website speaks a lot about the quality of your work and sort of legitimizes your business, wouldn't you guys agree?

Do you have any ideas of how I could overcome this objection? Because I get it a lot.

Other than that, one of the follow ups is pending to be a £700 sale, he still wants to meet me, but I won't consider it a sale until I actually get some money in my bank account.

On to the follow up calls.

Have a great weekend!

Crazy GG

Fox, Kid, Everyman and 1 other person like this.
  14. lowtek

lowtek Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $17,825
    I would try something like "you're absolutely right, you don't need advertising. You're very fortunate to be in that position. Let me ask you a question: has there ever been a time when business was slow, or dried up?"

Idea here is that you don't refute the stall, you just sidestep it. Maybe they have more business than they can handle at the moment, but I'm sure it wasn't always that way. I want them to remember what that feels like, so that it at least creates a crack in their strategy to get me off the phone.

Edit: I'm not an expert. Just sharing what I would do.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  15. Crazy GG

Rep Bank:
    $898
    Day 26 Summary

Dials: 24
    Reached: 9 (37.50%)
    Leads: 1 (14.29%)

Okay, so I really want to start recording my calls since a lot of people suggested it. I couldn't find a call recording software for the particular app I am using to call people, so I decided to just call myself with the computer. I can't hear the other person but I think it might be even better as I can focus 100% on what I say in isolation.

I edited out a couple bits of my opening pitch so please take a look and share honestly what you think. Please be as honest as possible!

This week I am calling carpenters. What I plan to do today is make a short video (slideshow) of explaining why a website might be useful to you. This is because I feel that a lot of people don't really trust me enough just from phone conversations to pull the trigger and buy, so if they could see me on a video at least, I think it would help in the sales process.

Crazy GG

16. jpanarra

jpanarra Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $14,929
    Loving the Hustle in this,

Forgive me If you've already mentioned this, I couldn't find anything other than you cold calling. I'm wondering if you've sent emails ahead of time, I've noticed that people tend to warm up more and are likely to give you a few minutes because they recognize you from an email you sent earlier.

I sell websites via email/cold-call as well. I've started this route in Jan 2017 and have gotten my share of sales.

20 dials per day tells me you're hustling big. However, you're on your 25th day, which means you're at 500 dials and you don't have a sale just yet tells me that you're lacking in some spaces. What I've noticed that helped me the most is taking your time with the prospecting search and qualifying those prospects prior to dialing and knowing who to contact. At worst your rate should be 1/100, so you should be around 5 sales at this point..

Let me know if you have any questions, I'll be glad to help

17. ManlyMansNegator

ManlyMansNegator Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $273
    Not an expert but i feel as if you seem to almost "ramble" on the pitch.

The incessant uses of "yeahs" would make me cautious due to lack of professionalism. Speak with a level voice without too many "buzz words"(yea , you know etc). Words like umm, yea etc change a person mindset from being enchanted by your pitch to being bored. If you don't believe me, watch the Martin Luther speech with a yeah or an umm after every 10 seconds.

I am no marketing expert nor have I read much on sales, however, i have been told i am persuasive. Initially, after introducing yourself, you mustn't focus on yourself, you do not matter until you both meet or its an "About page" on your website. The only time you speak of yourself in depth is if the person is interested or you are using it acutely as a MARKETING SPIN. This might be arguably dependant on a scale but either way the introduction "...A young entrepreneur.... a shot in the dark .... i wasn't really sure... have you thought about getting one" is all about your shortcomings. Not everyone cares where you found them, nor about how many shots in the dark you have taken etc and DEFINITELY no one cares about your shortcomings everyone wants the sweet lie. Furthermore, would you trust your website with a failure?

Once again I am no expert so feel free to criticise me as well but this is how you could go about it.

"Hello. <name>, this is GG incorporated specializing in custom website design for small businesses. We recently found out that your website design doesn't seem to be up to date, is there a reason for that"

See how I end off with a question? he must answer and it leads to open-ended conversations.Do not ramble from there, just meet him/her with utter silence.

possible response:

"blah blah blah ... we have had no need for a website as we are catered in the area"

"That is understandably so. however, it seems many of your competitors have been using advanced website design to feign better prospects. They do less work for better pay, is that not a better outcome?"

Never attack the ego, to insult the ego of a small businessman is detrimental (personal experience).In fact, you should always support his ego in your own way. A slight supportive remark should suffice , once you do that create an us vs them atmosphere. Always push to competitor measuring, think of it as a keeping up with Joneses like. In the second part, you expose the tricks those tricky Joneses are using against your business. You show how they are inferior to a hard working gentleman such as him yet alas its an unjust world. The latter reaffirmed in "They do less work for better pay" finally finish off with an open ending question which they will definitely answer.

Unfortunately, this is how much information I can really confidently give, the rest is simply adaptive.Pushing for your credibility should come next and then a quick close.

A general method you can try to either support my claim or refute it is:

Extremely straightforward and brief intro ending with a lead question.

Support ego fuelled remarks in a positive light.

Create us vs them the system and/or create a world where people without your product are "less"(COVERTLY OFC)

Build short credibility

Close(i always fail here)

tips:

stop destroying your credibility, no ramblings, no ums or oohs, you are a story teller.

18. todonelist

todonelist Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $242
    Slow down a bit. You're zooming through your script and it seems to make you stumble a lot. The occasional "um" can create a natural feeling to the conversation but you're definitely saying it way too much. It makes the person on the other line feel as though you are not confident in your ability.

Have confidence in yourself and adopt a mindset that you truly have something that will help their business grow and it should started being heard through your confident tonality.

Lastly, always remember that business owners get contacted ALL the time by people selling them sh*t. Most of them are all talk and can't actually provide the company with any real value so it shows in their tonality and in the choice of words in their script. All business owners care about is: "Can this guy get me results or not?".

Also really good advice from @ManlyMansNegator

19. Crazy GG

Rep Bank:
    $898
    Yes, better lists and qualifying is something I need to be looking into...

Could you please share
    Wow, tons of valuable advise here!

I know I shouldn't talk about myself too much, it's just that I try to share a bit of background to develop trust. I am not sure if it's correct, though, because as you mentioned they are only interested in themselves.

I love your advice about story-telling. I have definitely thought about ways I can make my script in a way that it grabs more attention and talks about them. At the same time I have fear of sounding too salesy and I think that's why I use all of the phrases ('shot in the dark') to sound more 'normal'

I will look to try out your stuff, however. Thanks a bunch!

Everyman likes this.
  20. Crazy GG

Rep Bank:
    $898
    Yes, tomorrow my number one goal will be to reduce stumbling! :happy:

Everyman likes this.
  21. Crazy GG

Rep Bank:
    $898
    Day 27 Summary

Dials: 22
    Reached: 8 (36.36%)
    Leads: 1 (12.50%)

From yesterday's feedback, my biggest goal today was to stop the "Uhms" and I paid a lot of attention to that. When I listened to my recording, it seemed like I did improve but I know I need to pay a lot more attention to that in the next following days so it becomes a habit.

I also noted that whenever a person says a "No" in one form or another, I lot of times I jump to prove my point instead of agreeing with them, validating their point and only then sharing my opinion. This is the second thing I need to work on.

I will share another recording in a couple of days so you guys can hear the actual progress. I feel like doing it every day might be too much, and maybe you would be able to note an actual difference if there are a couple of days in between.

Crazy GG

22. Crazy GG

Rep Bank:
    $898
    Day 28 Summary

Reached: 8 (40%)
    Leads: 4 (50%)

Okay, so today was definitely an eventful day.

Because I had a trial shift today at my work, I wanted to make the calls before so I started calling at 8AM. I managed to dial 13 numbers before I had to go and I already had 2 leads which was sick!

After I got back from work and ate, I was so, so tired but I had 7 more dials to make and I got 2 more leads.

I recorded the two last calls where I got the leads and uploaded on soundcloud again - could you guys take a look at them and share where am I missing?

The previous feedback definitely helped - I try to use less 'uhms' (obviously still have those) and I try to agree more with the person and build rapport.

Here is my opinion where I could improve:

1. I talk too much about myself (I am a young entrepreneur etc.) and I say that I can build a really nice site for not much money
      • Some people mentioned that you shouldn't take much about yourself as people are only interested in themselves which is very true, but I still find doing it since I think it builds a bit of trust. (he is an entrepreneur like myself instead of huge website company). With money thing the same.
      • Do you guys think I should leave it or switch it up?
    2. I don't push for the sale - I push for the email
      • When they sound interested, I usually say "I obviously don't expect you to make a decision right now - just take a look at it". The reason is that I feel like when they actually see what I have done, it will be a lot easier to sell them on it. The downside of it is that I am avoiding going for the sale and that I keep chasing them afterwards. I want to push for the sale but I think it's very unlikely they will go ahead without first seeing my work.
    Looking forward to your feedback,

Crazy GG

P.S. Today's work was so f'in hard! It's 6 hours of approaching strangers in the mall to sell them photo-shoots. I thought that in cold calls they reject you without considering you - when you work in a stand people automatically ignore you. Even when I just said "hello", they would respond "not interested!" It's hard but I think there's a lot to learn and I can make a bit of money on the side so hopefully they will give me more shifts

Everyman, wizaster and Longinus like this.
  23. Crazy GG

Rep Bank:
    $898
    Day 29 Summary

Reached: 10 (50%)
    Leads: 2 (20%)

Another session done!

Ever since I started recording my calls, I can actually note the difference on how I speak and how I change depending if I am having a bad/good day or I am calling in the morning/evening. Even though I am only recording my side of conversation, it still helps massively, so no complicated software is needed to record!

I started using @ManlyMansNegator script part of "You're absolutely right, you might not need it. However, it seems many of other carpenters have been using their websites to increase their company image and attract better-paying clients. They seem to be doing less work for better pay, is that not a better outcome?". I used it twice and even though I felt like I would be offending the people, they actually did not take offense and it wasn't that bad. So I will continue trying it out.

One of the leads I got today apparently doesn't do carpentry but has a property management company. He talked a lot and mentioned he's flipping houses for millions of pounds (even though profit isn't high, the numbers themselves are quite impressive for me), so he would be a great case study if I can get him.

At this stage I feel like I can get leads but where I am missing is a proper sales process. I keep chasing the leads - lot of times they tell me to call back and a lot of times they don't pick up.

Is it because I don't do a well enough job on an initial call of developing a need? Or is it because I don't push hard enough for a specific appointment time when I manage to talk to them? I don't know but something is wrong with my sales process.

But even though I am not getting any tangible results (i.e. sales), I feel like I am improving on my calling ability, so I know my work will pay off in one form or another in future.

Crazy GG

Everyman likes this.
  24. Fox

Fox Moderator Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $68,455
    @Crazy GG what are you total deals closed since you started dialling?

Great work here, keep it going.

Kid likes this.
  25. Crazy GG

Rep Bank:
    $898
    Unfortunately, zero. But I'm trying my best to get that first sale!

Everyman likes this.