The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Would you go to Harvard Business School For Free?

G

Guest-5ty5s4

See title.

Also, swap in whatever [X] elite business school (or even include law school, since lots of powerful people, including entrepreneurs and major investors, seem to have studied law).

Why would you take that opportunity, or why would you decline it?

What might change your decision?

Do these programs unlock anything in your life's journey as a businessman, fastlaner, etc? Or just a waste of time?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Saad Khan

Amazon Ads Guy
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Mar 14, 2021
Pakistan
See title.

Also, swap in whatever [X] elite business school (or even include law school, since lots of powerful people, including entrepreneurs and major investors, seem to have studied law).

Do these programs unlock anything in your life's journey as a businessman, fastlaner, etc? Or just a waste of time?
It's a no brainer for me, would love to establish connections

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Back ten years ago - yes.
For the connections and education.

Nowadays - probably not.
Strong chance of ending up brainwashed or in jail for wrongthink.

Agent X

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Mar 20, 2019
Utah
Like others have said, the main value of elite schools is the networking and connections. They are more selective and more expensive, so they will select for smart, and well-connected students (with wealthier parents to donate to the endowment fund).

But like @Fox and @Jon L mentioned that they are getting much more indoctrinating and censoring than the past, so I don't believe they would be worth it. Other schools provide just as good of education if you are wanting to obtain a college degree.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

@Fox @Jon L
Understandable.

I'm also thinking I probably wouldn't get in because I don't meet their diversity standards.

@Saad Khan makes sense - that's something that's truly rare.

I have an uncle (not directly related, and he doesn't share a lot of info) who went to HBS, worked for Bain, and then some sort of venture company of theirs where he had a nice exit with an equity stake. His life seems pretty awesome, but it's not a very clear path that any old Harvard MBA could follow.

@[X] I can't tag you because of your username.

But yeah, other than connections, are there more benefits to stuff like this?

And yeah, the wokeism and ridiculous anti-capitalism coming from a top BUSINESS school really is baffling and a major turn off.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Going to school, even elite one, would be like riding the fastlane but in opposite direction.

It would be even worse than doing nothing.

After you'd finish such school you'd have to unlearn everything they told you and only then start learning how business is done in reality.

So its double waste, not mentioning opportunity cost.

Saad Khan

Amazon Ads Guy
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Mar 14, 2021
Pakistan
Going to school, even elite one, would be like riding the fastlane but in opposite direction.

After you'd finish such school you'd have to unlearn everything they told you and only then start learning how business is done in reality.

The way I see it is the connections that would be useful. Other than that, it's pretty much delaying the harsh reality of the world.

Yeah, not to mention the indoctrination.

Raja

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 31, 2019

I doubt that, the connections would be very useful.

It would also be great to find your future employees:playful:

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
Would they try to indoctrinate me in wokeism and critical race theory? If so, I'd fail, so no.

You forgot one: Black Holes Are Racist.

Itizn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Sep 25, 2019
Colombia
I've never been to university let alone come close to attending one of such prestige.

While I personally don't do well in environments such as those found in education, I'd still certainly accept.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Not a chance. Nothing is free. It would cost time, and I can't imagine any benefit. Maybe for someone, but not me. I don't even read Harvard's publications most of the time... so I'm at engagement level zero with them I guess.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
See title.

I would have done it at 18. Now, hell no.

I paid a lot for a much less prestigious college. That was also 13 years ago and a lot has changed.

Schooling is unbearable to me. I learn best by doing the real thing.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Me and academia are like oil and water now. I’d be squirming in my chair.

I’d rather give classes than sit through them.

I’d also rather go to a local evening class on woodworking, story writing, or photography than attend anything business related in person.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Theoretically, yes. I would do it.

Practically? It would be tough for me to make the time.

But I believe I could find value in even doing one class per semester at a prestigious university. I think I'd have interesting discussions with people who don't think like me. I also believe I could turn free classes into money making opportunities.

Depending on the courses I take, I may find quality employees, as Raja said. Not all of them command six figure salaries. Perhaps I'd find up and coming investment opportunities. Potential partners that I can mentor. Get introduced to funding sources for my ideas.

There's this myth that those who can do and those who can't teach, but the truth is university professors are often doers as well as teachers. You gotta look beyond the attending student body.

Have someone in your life who is questioning how smart you are? Casually tell a story about that one class at Harvard, and that'll shut that down real quick.

Could being an alumni open some doors with other alumni? I wonder if I could make money on Harvard's alumni forum? Normally I'd say that was an expensive way to build a network, but the question is offering the classes for free. And I only have to take one class to say I am an alumni.

As an active student I can take advantage of all kinds of discounts.

If that isn't enough, through the prestigious alumni association, I can get good discounts on car rentals, computers, travel, cell phones, bank loans, etc. Harvard alumni specifically even have a concierge service for purchasing various things for you.

They freaking put travel packages together so you can take guided trips with small groups of other alumni.

I want to see the pyramids of Egypt with the Harvard educated tour guide. I want to go to Antarctica and talk science with the Harvard scientists.

In other words, for free, I'd be able to get better access to bigger deals on things I buy and use right now and things I dream of doing later.

My current small school alumni association just tries to sell me a credit card and car insurance. Haha.

I'm not at all concerned about them trying to brainwash me. I live in America. We are inundated with brainwash attempts, even here on this forum. I'm surprised that others would bristle at that. I mean really? You free thinkers are worried about being brainwashed?

Quality universities are chock full of opportunities for people with an open mind and the creative eye for problem solving and making connections.

Lastly, if I went to Hahvahd, then I'd have every excuse to say things like "my boy'z wikked smaht" and "how you like dem apples?"

The more I think about it, the better this deal gets. Or maybe it's just late and I need to get some sleep...

maximusharrison

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Jul 1, 2021
See title.

The idealistic side of me would probably say yes. It's an opportunity, as many other members have already mentioned, to expand your network. It's also an added "credential" in a way. For most of us, we already know the harsh reality of business: it's unwelcoming and harsh. Titles land you interviews and conversations with certain people.

The realistic side of me would say no. I'd rather known as Founder/Co-Founder/CEO of X company. Rather than Graduate/Alumni of X school. I love education, but certain institutions have a way of monetizing it in the guise of "prestige".

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
404%
Apr 16, 2019
Uncle got a PhD at a prestigious uni and his opportunities skyrocketed from the connections he made. Those opened up doors to even more connections with foreign governments. From them he was able to secure 9 figure funding for a business he started. His life has never been the same.

Before he got his PhD he had worked as an engineer, opened multiple businesses, and failed at all of them.

He had hustle since day one, but his newly gained credentials allowed him to land meetings and connections with people with influence and power above anything in his entourage before that.

That's one example of someone that combined his hustle with the credentials to shoot really high. Idk if it's a recipe that people can follow for similar results. The biggest downside is spending years getting the damn thing but it doesn't do for you what you hoped. Or worse, your perspective becomes siloed as others have pointed.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Uncle got a PhD at a prestigious uni and his opportunities skyrocketed from the connections he made. Those opened up doors to even more connections with foreign governments. From them he was able to secure 9 figure funding for a business he started. His life has never been the same.

Before he got his PhD he had worked as an engineer, opened multiple businesses, and failed at all of them.

He had hustle since day one, but his newly gained credentials allowed him to land meetings and connections with people with influence and power above anything in his entourage before that.

That's one example of someone that combined his hustle with the credentials to shoot really high. Idk if it's a recipe that people can follow for similar results. The biggest downside is spending years getting the damn thing but it doesn't do for you what you hoped. Or worse, your perspective becomes siloed as others have pointed.
This is the type of thing that makes me consider chasing those places.

It's tough because it's a lot of time risk (and financial, assuming you don't get it for free lol) but I have a relative like I mentioned above whose life was totally transformed by going to an elite school and making connections.

I mean the guy has 2 ferraris and has been work optional for the past 20 years. Lives in Austin.

His story is a little vague though, he doesn't go into detail on the business(es) with me because I'm just extended family to him, by marriage.

WestCoast

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jan 20, 2008
Rhode Island for now.
Yes, absolutely - if I wanted to do the sorts of things that people from Harvard do.

I have a friend who graduated from there. Nicest guy in the world. Started a tech company, took it public - still works all the time. Just a gem of a man.

But, most people I know from Harvard (very few), can't wait to name drop where they went.
The people from those fancy schools, love to talk about their fancy schools. It's really weird.
It's like, the best thing going for them.

They work on wall street, or at consulting firms. Make lots of money, spend lots of money.
I guess that's cool, but, it's the opposite of the life I enjoy now - without a prestigious degree from anywhere.

In the real world, the marginal value of college degrees is declining as more people have them.
Not to mention most people come out of a nice college with zero practical skills.

I'll take a HS graduate hungry to learn, or a Junior College graduate who worked through school - way before an Ivy League anyone.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Yes, absolutely - if I wanted to do the sorts of things that people from Harvard do.

I have a friend who graduated from there. Nicest guy in the world. Started a tech company, took it public - still works all the time. Just a gem of a man.

But, most people I know from Harvard (very few), can't wait to name drop where they went.
The people from those fancy schools, love to talk about their fancy schools. It's really weird.
It's like, the best thing going for them.

They work on wall street, or at consulting firms. Make lots of money, spend lots of money.
I guess that's cool, but, it's the opposite of the life I enjoy now - without a prestigious degree from anywhere.

In the real world, the marginal value of college degrees is declining as more people have them.
Not to mention most people come out of a nice college with zero practical skills.

I'll take a HS graduate hungry to learn, or a Junior College graduate who worked through school - way before an Ivy League anyone.
Hmm... This is a good point. I have more of a view like you do on how to live.

Really nice lifestyle (multi-millions of course), kept on the DL (at least, not name dropping and bragging all the time like a loser) and not feeling the pressure to constantly be grinding... unless it's part of another goal.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Its interesting ... we're all contemplating a FREE education at perhaps the most prestigious university in the world, and we're turning it down. That tells you something.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
His story is a little vague though, he doesn't go into detail on the business(es) with me because I'm just extended family to him, by marriage.
Why don't you send him a note, tell him how you look up to him a little bit and would appreciate an opportunity to pick his brain? Offer to buy him dinner...
What about an ivy leaguer who worked their way through school and is hungry to learn? Why wouldn't you want someone like that over the high schooler or JC kid?
Its interesting ... we're all contemplating a FREE education at perhaps the most prestigious university in the world, and we're turning it down. That tells you something.
Does it say more about the college, or more about the commenters?

It kind of reminds me of all these people who say billionaires shouldn't exist. Our society trains us to hate on the elite and the best, especially by those who aren't part of that group.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Why don't you send him a note, tell him how you look up to him a little bit and would appreciate an opportunity to pick his brain? Offer to buy him dinner...

What about an ivy leaguer who worked their way through school and is hungry to learn? Why wouldn't you want someone like that over the high schooler or JC kid?

It kind of reminds me of all these people who say billionaires shouldn't exist. Our society trains us to hate on the elite and the best, especially by those who aren't part of that group.
He's super into the whole Ayn Rand thing, which is why I got into it too.

When I see him for Thanksgiving or whatever I try to talk to him because he's pretty fascinating. But then I feel like I'm just kissing a$$ too much. It's weird, lol.

But the truth is - this guy wasn't successful because of "Hahvahd."

Thousands of people graduate from Harvard, and 99% of them don't do anything remotely like this.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA

I'd say at this point that it says more about the college. The commenters here are successful business people who look at Harvard with disdain.

I do as well. 15 years ago, that was not the case. I used to admire it. I think elites are amazing people.

Between then and now, however, its become a place of indoctrination rather than education. First year students there report that within the first week, they're shoved into the deep end of CRT, which is taught as gospel truth.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
First year students there report that within the first week, they're shoved into the deep end of CRT, which is taught as gospel truth.
Wracking my brain but can’t figure out what CRT is…

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.