The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What's your Lambo? (What are you working for?)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Mine, I want to emigrate with my family to the U.S. and unless you go the marriage route (which i doubt my wife would appreciate ha!) or have a degree(NOPE!) the only other way is to have money/business assets.

I think some people here in the US really need to give this a good read, particular young kids who think they have it bad. Now they just want everything free.

Anyhow, this is my *new* Lambo I am working for...

luxury_smoky_mountains_cabin1.jpg

Buying with income already earned is not how I roll either, must be new earnings!

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I love what I do already. I'd just like to do more of it, and reach/help more people, and meet more people.

I've an itch I haven't scratched, and I therefore keep putting one foot in front of the other, and love each step.

It doesn't even feel like work. It's just a series of habits, like walking or breathing.

Each problem encountered is another opportunity to learn something new, and take another step in my journey.

In short, I don't really have a destination, I just like moving.

A question to ask yourself: "If money was no object, what would you be doing?"

Then realise that money IS no object.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

mrarcher

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jan 26, 2016
Scotland
I've put this in off topic as it is more dreamer than progress but thought it would be fun to know peoples reasons for going into business/wanting to make a decent amount of money. MJ spoke about wanting to be the driver of his own lambo. Some want freedom or time with your kids. Mine, I want to emigrate with my family to the U.S. and unless you go the marriage route (which i doubt my wife would appreciate ha!) or have a degree(NOPE!) the only other way is to have money/business assets. That's what keeps my flame burning bright. How about you?

mws87

talk less, listen more.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
May 5, 2015
California
I want to be able to, someday, help a lot of people. I don't mean the obvious ways through building a business. I mean being financially well-off enough to donate huge amounts of money, help kids and good causes. Seeing the world and experiencing all that life has to offer would be nice, too. My biggest fear is only experiencing life through one perspective.

Oh, and to never, ever have to set an alarm clock again. That would be nice too.

Duane

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Jul 23, 2015
Lakeland FL
It's hard to show you a picture of my lambo, it hasn't been created yet :\ but I can show a condensed version from a lab. I wish to one day build a more efficient version of this into a full scale process with my team. These types of solar processes are what I feel is going to be the future in the energy industry. If you were to look a thousand years into the future, the only way we are going to be able to keep up our energy demands is by switching to solar. But solar panels aren't turning out to be as great as we imagined, so we need something a bit more efficient. So this is why I hustle, for a cleaner future (it isn't cheap doing research).

DongHyun_fig2.jpg

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
The thought of coming to the end of my life and knowing deep down I could have done 'better'. Helped more people, loved more people, made more amazing memories.

“Someone once told me the definition of Hell: The last day you have on earth, the person you became will meet the person you could have become.” -Unknown

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
I'll play along in this thread, I tried to skip through all the material replies. IMO if that's the reason you are in business, you aren't going to make it far or you are still really young.

For me I want my life to have been impactful on others that are atleast 2 degrees from my circle, after I'm gone. This means doing something noteable.

Is anyone going to look for your wiki page after you are dead? What are future generations of your family going to say about you when they break out the family tree?

Greg the admin assistant / car wash attendant doesn't have a nice ring to it. (No offense greg)

The best thing, is I don't have to be rich or powerful to make an impact on someone today. So that's what I do, every. single. day.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
Material things:
$400k/year passive income from (likely) Real Estate.

$1m/year profit from business income.

8 Figure exit (because why not).

Gold Royal Oak

Doing RE deals (possibly rehabs/remodels of high end condos in Hawaii) with six figure profits in one/two months excites me, so that's on the list.

I tried and can't really spend $30k/month, so anything extra I don't really know what to do with other than hold cash/invest. i guess my freedom was the most important thing to me, and when I obtained it, I don't really want for a hugely lavish lifestyle. Sure, flying business class/first class is nice, but I'm not opposed to "slumming" it in economy.

I realize I value my time and spending it how I choose is more important than becoming richer. Spending time with close friends and family is more important to me than making extra money.

But I still like making money.

Everything else will fall in line. I'm finding the more money I make, the less I want things. I saw a new Corvette in the gym parking lot, and I thought, wow I could go buy one of those cash no problem. Then I'm like, so what, I'd get bored and wish I didn't buy it 2 weeks later.

B. Cole

In thine hand is power and might.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Mar 5, 2017
East Coast
Just a random deep thought.

I found myself mulling through the pages of this thread again, reflecting on my current situation, and things that led to here. Reflecting on where I’m steering life, and about the world that I created for myself with a shallower mind than now.

My old man told me. “You don’t own things son. Things own you”. A man that made more money than most. Had a family, house, cars. Worked hard, work first. Taught me to work hard. Work before family. And eventually, the old lady realized that work would always be first, and she’d rather quit the old man than be his second. Us kids were sent out to whoever else in the family would take us. She made herself first again.

Depression set in on the old man. Struggled to go to work, struggled to find first again without second. Struggles turned into loss of control. When he couldn’t control things, he stopped trying to. And things eventually stopped controlling the old man. Free from things to do. Didn’t have to cut the grass. Didn’t have to work on the house, or the cars. Didn’t have to go to work. Didn’t have to pay bills. Didn’t have to do anything. So he didn’t. He didn’t want to control, or be controlled, anymore.

I planted the old man a couple years back. Practically homeless, separated from all material things. His situation frustrated me, frustrated his daughters. We were all he had left. Cried for what could have been, what he should have been. Cried for what we wanted him to be. We wanted him to try harder, to thrive again. But his reality was - he was free.

What he told me comes back. It comes back when I’m washing cars. Cutting grass, doing flower beds. When I’m cleaning the pool, and the house, the garage. When I’m working really late, alone, because I need to. Because everything I own, really owns me.

I look in the mirror, and in my wife’s eyes. I see age. I see life behind us, maybe as much behind as in front. Always working toward the goal, toward the end result. And the end never gets here, because I always just need one more thing.

And now I sit here alone. My wife out of town because of work, because the things that own us need money. Been working late in the garage, truck needs work. Her car is next, before she gets back I’ve got work to do on it. Because all the things I own, own me.

Go read https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...-traveling-the-world.74381/page-3#post-660228 , by @JasonR. In this story, nothing owns him.

Beware the trap. Life is fleeting. Don’t rush into something you have to work to keep, unless you want to work to keep it. Remember what’s really important. And don’t ever forget, what owns who.

Last edited:

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
My own Volvo Ocean Race team (round the world sailing). Estimated total cost for a team entry is $20-25M right now. Its basically a 2-3 year thing incl all the preparation.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
My lambo is to never have to raise my children in a government robot-producing institution. My daughter is 3 already, and there is absolutely no way in hell I am raising them up as some brainwashed idiot robot.

I will find a community of like-minded (and successful) individuals with children, and they can socialize with them. They can go to museums, and zoos, and travel and learn through experiences rather than by sitting in a desk and being taught to the lowest common denominator. The idiot in the class dictates the rate at which everyone can learn.

They can learn how things work in different countries, how money works, how to produce, what has happened in the past in different areas of the world. Not some spoon fed curriculum to make them think that where they reside is the greatest place in the world.

I want to be able to spend real time with my children. Not just a few hours a day after getting home from a desk job where I hate my life and they get some miserable husk of a father.

SparksCW

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
327%
Dec 14, 2015
South, UK
It wasn't until I bought a brand new Range Rover last year that I realised that wasn't what my "lambo" was.

Sure I want an Audi R8, or dare say even the real dream McLaren 650S.

But that'll be a byproduct of what I've realised the real dream to be, the real "lambo". And that's quite simple really, financial freedom.

Financial freedom doesn't mean millions, financial freedom isn't "never having to work again" it means enough money coming in each month to pay all the bills and to cover your lifestyle with the ability to do what you want, not what someone else tells you to do. If you have a basic lifestyle then that might not be a lot, if you want a McLaren then it will obviously be a lot more.

I don't want to worry about keeping up the car payments, or credit cards etc. My aim now is to pay everything down, sell the RR and buy a car outright, sure it might not be as nice but I won't have to make re-payments and I can upgrade in the future when I build up more cash. I'll buy another one day when I can afford it outright.

So my lambo is being free from debt and not having to worry if I make enough money to pay for everything each month.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Most people hustle to show up and impress other people...
I hustle to disappear and get away from other people.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Not the OP but would be really interested about this.
I provide affordable housing opportunities and some other services for my community. I help people all the time. My resume also includes my helping to start a shelter for homeless women and children. It was years ago in the Los Angeles ghetto. I was Chairman of the Board of the shelter for many years. I have a long history of helping others.

I give just a pinch at a time. I test the waters first to see how they react to my help. Some become totally arrogant and demanding. Some are grateful and ask what they can do to give back. I pull back and stop my help for arrogant ones. I work with the grateful ones.

I have rules.

#1. I only give to those who are helping themselves. If I give something, I also give them an assignment of what they can do to help themselves. And I ask for a future favor -- if I don't ask for something specific. What I ask for doesn't have to equal what I gave. BUT they must do something for themselves and something for me or another person. And I follow up on those commitments. My help is incremental. It's doled out in small measured steps and totally dependent on their reactions and decisions.

When I need something, I have people falling all over me to help me. Yes, I believe in paying forward and being a good guy in my little world. It makes me valuable to the people around me.

And that's just rule #1...

BlokeInProgress

Business Building Warrior
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 6, 2014
Australia
My reason is simply my Mom - give her all the things she'd like and love and a lot more. Things that I couldn't give my dad.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
I’m working to pay off my wife’s student debt and our mortgage.

I want a 2,000 sqr ft hangar with a Boeing Stearman
220px-Stearman.e75.g-bswc.longshot.arp.jpg

and maybe a high performance touring plane like a SR-22.
4267051.jpg

Av-gas money.

And enough money in diversified investments to pay me $250,000 per year in dividends.

Edit: now with pictures!

Last edited:

knightsb

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Jan 5, 2016
I have you all beat with my lambo dream ;)
Introducing the L-39 Albatros. You can buy one for about 200k USD and they burn about $1,000 an hour in operating costs :) Guess I had better invent the next facebook lol

ShaneZA3.jpg

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
To own my time 100%.

The best WIN of all.

And with that WIN, what will you do with your prize?

Write? Volunteer? Save the whales? Get the band back together?

Dave Daily

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
209%
Feb 22, 2018
Chico, CA
The best WIN of all.

And with that WIN, what will you do with your prize?

Write? Volunteer? Save the whales? Get the band back together?

1. Pay my F*cking student loans off. lol
  2. Start the next business in a better position.
    1. Beat Elon to Mars?? ;)
  3. Become more useful and helpful to other entrepreneurs, both here and wherever, especially my 3 children. My 10 year old has a pretty strong entrepreneurial drive. I took her out door to door selling slime and she made $100 on pure cuteness. She's done this on her own a few times since. Now she wants to be a youtuber.
  4. Start a non-profit — I've always had a soft spot for the homeless as there have been times when I've felt that could easily be me. I'd like to create a tiny home community that is also a farmer's market. Homeless people get tiny homes with lawn care and maid service. In exchange they get a backyard and training on how to grow a particular crop. The tiny house community would be designed so that all the backyards face a place where people can drive up and buy produce. The homes, services, and training are free and in exchange the community gets fresh produce. I don't know if it would fly, but if it doesn't, I'd want to help the homeless get on their feet in some other way.
  5. Buy apartments
  6. Travel the world to buy and sell property while also learning history
  7. While traveling, I'd write a novel.
  8. Lease or maybe own an electric car—I like the design of the Fisker E-Motion.Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 2.06.22 PM.png
  9. Hire a personal trainer
  10. Learn the guitar and the piano, get voice lessons. I'd write some songs and perform. I like James Taylor, Jack Johnson style music.
  11. Get a bigger place with some nice amenities. I've never had a pool, so that would be nice.
  12. Start caring about nice clothes? lol
  13. Sell the next business for a bigger amount.
  14. Start the next business.
  15. Repeat steps 13 & 14 ad infinitum.
  16. Give the eternal middle finger to my ex.:innocent: :halo::rofl:

Last edited:

jazb

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Nov 24, 2013
The U.K
I love what I do already. I'd just like to do more of it, and reach/help more people, and meet more people.

I've an itch I haven't scratched, and I therefore keep putting one foot in front of the other, and love each step.

It doesn't even feel like work. It's just a series of habits, like walking or breathing.

Each problem encountered is another opportunity to learn something new, and move another step in my journey.

TL;DR? I don't really have a destination, I just like moving.

A question to ask yourself: "If money was no object, what would you be doing?"

Then realise that money IS no object.

:)

you nailed it.... living in the present

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
@MJ DeMarco what state is that house in? Are you getting tired of Phoenix, AZ?

No not getting tired of my sunshine palace, but a few hours from Phoenix there is a change of seasons. Dare I say, snow.

This particular house was just a picture I grabbed from the web to demonstrate what in my eyes, is my new Lambo. ;)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.