The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Weekly Progress: What will you get done this week?

Threads with an onging chat or conversation

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
@WJK beat me to it! Thanks for starting this week off, and thanks for adding your responses.

I'll add mine:

1. What will make you happy with progress this week?

Post daily short videos to LinkedIn again (will also post to other platforms - YouTube, TikTok, Instagram/Facebook Reels, maybe even Twitter).

2. What are you doing to make a sale this week?

See 1. above.

3. What are you not doing but should be?

See 1. above!
Notes on one of my current projects:

I just can't believe that our off-site rehab project, a house, is taking so long to finish. I've owned it for about a year and we're not even close to being done with it. I must give myself a break. It's a huge project.

When I bought it last summer, I had squatters inside and others living outside in the yard. It was the community "dope" house. I didn't know if the house was teardown or if we could save it. I didn't get inside the house for over two months after my purchase date. I lost track of the many truckloads of garbage we hauled away from the yard.

The inside was just as bad. The house was a shell, filled with garbage -- two floors of garbage. And the squatters had cut a hole in the downstairs bathroom floor that they were using to poop into the basement. Ug! It all had to be cleaned up before we could start to make a work plan.

Supporting the house was the first critical issue. The concrete front wall of the unfinished basement had to be replaced and the back wall had to be raised by making it taller. The side basement walls were leaning so they had to be repaired and reinforced. All that took a few concrete pours. The sill plates (boards at the bottom of the house walls) had to be replaced along with all the wooden support beams that ran under the house. All that wood was rotten. Our climate is really hard on building materials such as wood. So the house had to be jacked up in sections to replace all those beams and supports. My husband harvested the trees and cut a lot of the new support beams on our sawmill. And we had to pour pads in the basement and put in upright supports under more than half of the house.

Now we're working on the other issues. It will be a 4 bedroom, 3 bath home with a large family room when we are finished. Yeah!

The squatters in the yard last summer were really challenging to get rid of. They had multiple RVs and a huge bus that had been gutted and converted into yet another RV. And they had a fleet of dead vehicles and garbage taking up most of the lot. They finally left in the fall after I took a bunch of legal actions. We didn't even have to appear in court. I guess I wore them down over the months of daily visits to them and working on the house in the middle of all of their mess.

Right after all the squatters left, winter hit early and we had to stop a lot of the work we planned. Winter lasted through May this year. We had 126" of snowfall with 4' to 5' of snow on the ground all winter. When spring came, we had "break-up" and the driveway turned to mud that was a couple of feet deep. The house and driveway were totally inaccessible for our vehicles for a while until the ground firmed up. Next spring we won't have that problem. We rebuilt the driveway during this summer to remove the mud problem.

After detailing our journey so far, I guess we're doing OK on it. We can only do what we can do. Maybe we'll have it ready to sell next summer. Our leaves are starting to turn right now. Fall is kicking in and winter is coming on fast.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Week Commencing Monday 04-Sep-23

# LAST WEEK I SAID:

Post daily short videos to LinkedIn again (will also post to other platforms - YouTube, TikTok, Instagram/Facebook Reels, maybe even Twitter).

See 1. above.

See 1. above!

# UPDATE ON LAST WEEK:

I didn't get round to creating short videos on Twitter last week, but I did stay up till 1am one night and posted a carousel (they're like a series of slides).
  • The carousel had 27 Likes so far and I've messaged everyone who Liked it to say Thanks, to ask what I could do to improve it, and asking them how they're doing.
  • That's ended up in 3-4 scheduled chats which is cool.
  • They won't turn into clients but I love chatting to business people and learning how I can help them.

# THIS WEEK:

My main (non-client) goal is to post daily to LinkedIn.

I'd like to turn that carousel from last week into a short video that I post to LinkedIn and maybe other platforms. I'll likely not post videos each time. I like that I can post text, then turn it into a carousel if it does decent, then turn that into a video if it does well too (incorporating feedback from people who responded to it and I messaged).

I'd also like to add various intros in front of my 5 minute Google Ads tutorial and test each with ad spend.

See 1. above.

See 1. above. I've been meaning to create those various intros to the Google Ads tutorial for a few weeks.

GoldFibre

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Jul 1, 2023
1. New vendor with better pricing and transit time in Country 2
2. Sourcing a new vendor, improving bot to customize Country 2 listings, starting paid ads
3. Re-examining offer selection criteria to maximize yield

justi.ny

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 4, 2023
Things Ill Get Done By This Week:
1. Test out and learn marketing videos for a product
2. Learn the basics of coding which I'll need for a project in my school (human resources automation)
3. Increase my activity in business forums such as this!

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska

# LAST WEEK I SAID:

See 1. above.

See 1. above!

# UPDATE ON LAST WEEK:

I didn't get round to creating short videos on Twitter last week, but I did stay up till 1am one night and posted a carousel (they're like a series of slides).
  • The carousel had 27 Likes so far and I've messaged everyone who Liked it to say Thanks, to ask what I could do to improve it, and asking them how they're doing.
  • That's ended up in 3-4 scheduled chats which is cool.
  • They won't turn into clients but I love chatting to business people and learning how I can help them.

# THIS WEEK:

My main (non-client) goal is to post daily to LinkedIn.

I'd like to turn that carousel from last week into a short video that I post to LinkedIn and maybe other platforms. I'll likely not post videos each time. I like that I can post text, then turn it into a carousel if it does decent, then turn that into a video if it does well too (incorporating feedback from people who responded to it and I messaged).

I'd also like to add various intros in front of my 5 minute Google Ads tutorial and test each with ad spend.

See 1. above.

See 1. above. I've been meaning to create those various intros to the Google Ads tutorial for a few weeks.
This coming week:

1. Our rehab-flip project:

Same as last week. Still working on hooking up the well to the house system. This week we should be able to get the pressure tank installed in the basement and the water hooked up. We're setting up the water system under the first floor.

Got the slab poured this last week. It took 2 pours – one for the porch floor and the back door stoop; and one for the carport slab.

thumbnail.jpg

Working on framing out some of the windows. The kitchen will have one large window in the middle over the sink rather than 3 smaller windows. Must also replace one of the upstairs master bedroom windows with a 4'X4" for fire egress.

This last week set the house back down on the new rim walls. We had the house jacked up so we could work on the rim joists and basement walls.

2. On our vacant rental, last week, we laid sheet vinyl in all three bedrooms and the living room/dining area. We’re still installing and painting the baseboards.

Building a new cabinet over the kitchen range to hold a range hood. It's the code.

We purchased the lumber for the deck, and we’re ready to construct it. Hope to get it done this week.

3. Our on-site rehab – is on hold this week so we can work on other projects.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Week Commencing Monday 11-Sep-23

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
This coming week:

Our rehab-flip project:

Still working on framing out some of the windows. Got the two upstairs bedroom windows replaced. This week we’re working on the kitchen windows. Need to frame out the one large window in the middle over the sink and remove the 2 smaller windows.

We’re getting ready for another concrete pour. This one has an interesting background. The former squatter/tenant thought there was gold under the garage floor so she dug a tunnel under the edge of the slab. It goes quite a ways back. No, she didn’t find gold and she was high when she did that. Thank goodness the tunnel is next to the basement so we can access it. However, it is a problem since we had to build a retaining wall at the basement exterior wall to fill the void with dirt and concrete. That is completed. We’ve filled her tunnel with all the dirt we can. The rest of that tunnel will be poured with concrete. That requires us to punch some holes in the slab above it. That single garage will become the new family room so weight on the slab will not be a problem once the new concrete is in place. The question on this pour is how much volume of concrete we need to fill that void.

Got a bid from the guy who is going to spray the basement with insulating foam. We must lay the plastic and get ready for that spay.

2. On our vacant rental, last week, all the flooring and baseboards were completed. The new cabinet over the kitchen range for the range hood and vent pipe is completed. The interior is ready for occupancy. My husband is making copies of the keys on our key machine to hand over and the tenants are starting to move in.

The new deck is framed out and half of the deck boards are laid. We will be picking up the rest of the deck boards today to finish that deck. Then we’ll put up sheets of plastic on the side where the wind comes in, add a handrail, and access steps. Just talked to my workman about putting a gate or removable panel built into the handrail across from the back door of the mobile home. It will save the railing later when people want to move furniture through that back door. We’re also talking about adding a short section to the roof line on the edge of the deck and walkway to deflect the winter snow – that we know is just around the corner. That can be built out of 2X4s and added pretty quickly.

3. Our on-site rehab – is on hold this week so we can work on other projects. BUT, we have the backhoe home from the rehab-flip project. My husband says he’s gonna install the ground anchors for the cable tie-downs along the edges of the mobile home this week. He has to make two more of the ground anchors in his shop this week and he has the steel on hand to do the fabrication. That’s one more thing done-done before winter. I just must get the tie-downs completed so the skirting can be put back into place. I must get the sauna tubes poured before the ground freezes for the roof, porch, and handicapped ramp.

4. I just billed out an invoice on a Federal contract where I supervised 24 water wells in campgrounds and Federal facilities. I have some paperwork to put together which I will get done this week; All the major work on the water sampling for this year is completed. Next spring will end this 5-year contract. The hard work is now all completed. I won’t be bidding on it again. I’ll be glad to finish and do that work no longer.

5. So, since #4 is just about in the bag, I have hired a coaching service to help me finish putting together and publishing some books that I wrote and illustrated a long time ago. Most of them are for kids. I’m so excited to work on my art and writing again. When I wrote this stuff and did the art, self-publishing wasn’t possible. Now it is. I want to take advantage of it.

Ain’t it great to be retired and have all this spare time!

DCG

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 15, 2022
I was able to figure out how to setup a stripe account and I'm working on making the products that I'm going to sell. I'm gonna start by making a few for each category to see if there is any proof of sales and to see what I can improve.

Albert KOUADJA

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Mar 13, 2022
I started to create a means of payment. I don't know how I'm going to finish this project but I'll give it my all to see how far I'll go.

I really need a means of payment with my e-commerce project.

By the way even if someone has a few things that could help I'm glad to hear it. Thank you.

GoldFibre

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Jul 1, 2023
1. If I'm able to lower my costs to Country 2
2. Increasing catalog size, customizing bot to handle multiple countries directly
3. Figuring out if there are more account warnings that can be deterministically avoided

Oilman

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
May 1, 2019
Good thread:

I will spend about 6 hours doing job search activities, go to my current job (that I hate) for about 24 hours, work on my 2 secret projects, work on my web design agency, possibly try to fix my car. I will also go to a volunteer appreciation party this Thursday and possibly squeeze in one more gym session....

All this making money stuff stresses me out and working out is sort of like a gas valve.

I'm very thankful for good health.

Genius01

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Dec 18, 2017
Nigeria
This coming week:

Our rehab-flip project:

Still working on framing out some of the windows. Got the two upstairs bedroom windows replaced. This week we’re working on the kitchen windows. Need to frame out the one large window in the middle over the sink and remove the 2 smaller windows.

We’re getting ready for another concrete pour. This one has an interesting background. The former squatter/tenant thought there was gold under the garage floor so she dug a tunnel under the edge of the slab. It goes quite a ways back. No, she didn’t find gold and she was high when she did that. Thank goodness the tunnel is next to the basement so we can access it. However, it is a problem since we had to build a retaining wall at the basement exterior wall to fill the void with dirt and concrete. That is completed. We’ve filled her tunnel with all the dirt we can. The rest of that tunnel will be poured with concrete. That requires us to punch some holes in the slab above it. That single garage will become the new family room so weight on the slab will not be a problem once the new concrete is in place. The question on this pour is how much volume of concrete we need to fill that void.

Got a bid from the guy who is going to spray the basement with insulating foam. We must lay the plastic and get ready for that spay.

2. On our vacant rental, last week, all the flooring and baseboards were completed. The new cabinet over the kitchen range for the range hood and vent pipe is completed. The interior is ready for occupancy. My husband is making copies of the keys on our key machine to hand over and the tenants are starting to move in.

The new deck is framed out and half of the deck boards are laid. We will be picking up the rest of the deck boards today to finish that deck. Then we’ll put up sheets of plastic on the side where the wind comes in, add a handrail, and access steps. Just talked to my workman about putting a gate or removable panel built into the handrail across from the back door of the mobile home. It will save the railing later when people want to move furniture through that back door. We’re also talking about adding a short section to the roof line on the edge of the deck and walkway to deflect the winter snow – that we know is just around the corner. That can be built out of 2X4s and added pretty quickly.

3. Our on-site rehab – is on hold this week so we can work on other projects. BUT, we have the backhoe home from the rehab-flip project. My husband says he’s gonna install the ground anchors for the cable tie-downs along the edges of the mobile home this week. He has to make two more of the ground anchors in his shop this week and he has the steel on hand to do the fabrication. That’s one more thing done-done before winter. I just must get the tie-downs completed so the skirting can be put back into place. I must get the sauna tubes poured before the ground freezes for the roof, porch, and handicapped ramp.

4. I just billed out an invoice on a Federal contract where I supervised 24 water wells in campgrounds and Federal facilities. I have some paperwork to put together which I will get done this week; All the major work on the water sampling for this year is completed. Next spring will end this 5-year contract. The hard work is now all completed. I won’t be bidding on it again. I’ll be glad to finish and do that work no longer.

5. So, since #4 is just about in the bag, I have hired a coaching service to help me finish putting together and publishing some books that I wrote and illustrated a long time ago. Most of them are for kids. I’m so excited to work on my art and writing again. When I wrote this stuff and did the art, self-publishing wasn’t possible. Now it is. I want to take advantage of it.

Ain’t it great to be retired and have all this spare time!
Nice.
Really inspiring to see you getting so much done at your age, when a lot of people would be going slower.
You're really knocking out stuff right and left and doing more than many people that are far younger. Kudos to you.

And the story about the gold digger in your earlier post is just really funny....the things people do when they're high. :rofl:

Genius01

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Dec 18, 2017
Nigeria

1. I'll start a new site and youtube channel, let's call it site 1.
And I'll restart work on an old previously abandoned site, call it site 2.

For site 1,
I'll post at least 10 articles on it by the end of this week. And 5 videos on its youtube channel.

For site 2,
I'll find a partner in the niche to partner with, and will have done some basic site improvements and enhancements to get it back on track.

And I'll create a progress thread by the end of the week to outline what I've done and what I'll be doing going forward.

PS:
Answers to questions 2 and 3 are exactly the same things I've already written above.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Nice.
Really inspiring to see you getting so much done at your age, when a lot of people would be going slower.
You're really knocking out stuff right and left and doing more than many people that are far younger. Kudos to you.

And the story about the gold digger in your earlier post is just really funny....the things people do when they're high. :rofl:
She was an exotic dancer, so she had a stage constructed in the front of that little garage where she gave private shows. I evicted her and all of her groupies/squatters both inside and outside of the house. I ruined the whole party when I bought the place. Some of us just have no sense of humor.

J Mutua

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Apr 21, 2023
Kenya
To continue my journey in learning and understanding web development.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
No yet…right now I’m still testing the validity of my idea and gathering feedback.
Maybe try to get a client or make a sale this week, rather than have a goal to learn?

Genius01

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Dec 18, 2017
Nigeria
She was an exotic dancer, so she had a stage constructed in the front of that little garage where she gave private shows. I evicted her and all of her groupies/squatters both inside and outside of the house. I ruined the whole party when I bought the place. Some of us just have no sense of humor.
Lol, must have been quite some situation there. :smile:
They would definitely see you as a show spoiler.
Well, some things just have to happen.

Theuhhhperson

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Aug 27, 2022
I do this every week with clients, and a few friends.

From the book "The ONE Thing":
  • What ONE Thing can you do that will make everything else redundant or easier to do?
  • If you don't know what your ONE Thing is, then figuring it out is your ONE Thing.

Let's go...

View attachment 45931

EDIT: Thread title changed from "What's your ONE Thing this week?" to "What will you
My one thing for this week:
1. finishing my prototype.
2. Start selling it door to door.
3. Bettering my product.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Lol, must have been quite some situation there. :smile:
They would definitely see you as a show spoiler.
Well, some things just have to happen.
I didn't know if it was a tear-down or if the house could be saved. It was the local "dope" house. I didn't see the interior for 2 months after I closed the escrow. They had cut a hole in the downstairs bathroom floor and were pooping into the basement. That's all cleaned up. All the squatters are gone. All the junk and the vehicles are cleaned up. The house is gonna be 4 bedrooms, 3 baths, with a family room and attached double carport when we get it done.

Oilman

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
May 1, 2019
It's only Thursday and I can honestly say this week has been very productive. I have a couple interviews lined up for the next few days. There will be hiring events next week where I can get hired on the spot. Also got accepted into a tech program that can expose me to other intelligent people.

While I have to work some tough shifts this weekend, at least I won't be doing stupid stuff like lazily scrolling on social media.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Week Commencing Monday 18-Sep-23

Wombat

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
196%
Dec 11, 2022
Vic, AU
Competitor analysis for a product idea I have. Going to see what similar product's prices, value skews and reviews are like. Also have a first attempt at a prototype.

DCG

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 15, 2022
Still making products but for a new catagory, I might be able to get it done by this week

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
This coming week:9/18 -24/23

Our rehab-flip project:

Last week, got some windows installed and the exterior walls patched. Got the Tyvek up and ready for the T-111 siding.

Need to put a new center support beam in the basement under the center of the house. It’s cut and ready to go in.

My husband cut a D log on our sawmill for the bottom of the front wall next to the front door. Need to install it.

Drilling holes through the floors for water lines.

Getting a bid from another roofer. Our other roofer has been busy, and we need the roof done ASAP before the snow hits us.

2. On the prior vacant rental -- last week -- we got the tenants moved in. The interior is finished, and the rental agreement is done.

The deck face and steps are done. The roof has been extended to shed the snow away from that deck and the side of the house. We’re working on the railing. It will have a double gate so the tenant will have better access to the back door for moving furniture.

I must go to town this morning to get more spindles for the deck railing. They’ve used up half of what I bought so far on the railing for the catwalk between the front steps and the new deck.

3. Our 2nd vacancy -- cleaning it, patching holes, and touch-up painting. We’re patching the living room floor covering that the past tenant damaged. We have it marked out to add a single carport. Also, it needs a new back porch/arctic entry. Should have it up and ready to rent within this week.

4. I signed up for a coaching program to do some writing and publishing. I’ll see how that goes. Hope I didn’t waste my money.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.