The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Up and down: what happens after a full blown existential crisis?

Share your FTE moment...

Robert321

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 6, 2018
Bucharest, Romania
I had just turned 18 when I begun working as a web developer for a local start-up.
I had no idea what to expect. Previously, I used to code at home 13 hours a day. No, not because I was passionate about it, although I didn't hate it either. I did it because I had to. External factors forced me to work and make my own money to become independent.

Months passed, and the routine of a normal, 9 to 5 job took over.
To somehow counteract that, I begun working more and more in order to get more money.
In about a year, I managed to get from being seen as a junior to leading a small team.
The progress was huge, I thought - until a barrage of questions hit me.

I begun asking myself: Why do I spend most of my time working for them?
I begun asking myself: If it wasn't about money, would I still do it?
I had to admit that the response was NO. No, I wouldn't work if money was not a problem.
I realized was basically exchanging a huge chunk of my time to get money.

This progressed into a full blown existential crisis - the first one I ever had.
It was a dark period, full of suffering and doubting pretty much everything around me.
To this day, I still am grateful for it because it made me question my existing beliefs.
It forced me to think about what I really want in life.

Finally about 1 month ago I got out of it.
I realized money is just a tool that gets to to the real thing: freedom.
Freedom to prioritize whatever matters to you in life, freedom to shape your life as you see fit without any monetary constraints.

My main goal right now: 150 k / year passive revenue in 5 years.
Absurd? Naive? Maybe.
I see all these people making millions and I wonder: if they are able to, why can't I?
Are they just lucky?
If I am working for 5 years straight, is it possible to achieve nothing?
I hardly think so, although I am not sure.
I may be blindly confident in my abilities, I'm still 19 but I found that I'm better at problem solving than most people and I'm also willing to work far longer than most people.

I've been there: working all the time, sleeping near my desk and waking up and continuing to work right after. And you know what? I was enjoying it more than I enjoyed my day to day job.

That's me folks, I hope I didn't get too personal.
Thank you everyone for this forum - it is such a great resource.
I'm looking forward to begin contributing.

Feel free to criticize the hell out of me, if need be, I appreciate any new perspective on what I'm doing

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Jude Afolabi

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 13, 2018
Africa
Experienced coders are not meant to enslaved for any reason. All you need is a business that breeds profit on its own. The terrible time is between starting and the first customer like Mj said, its not going to be easy.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Thanks for the introduction. If you haven't, download Unscripted and see if it will resonate with what you are trying to do -- it should -- I wrote it exactly for you.

I had just turned 18 when I begun working as a web developer for a local start-up.
I had no idea what to expect. Previously, I used to code at home 13 hours a day. No, not because I was passionate about it, although I didn't hate it either. I did it because I had to. External factors forced me to work and make my own money to become independent.

Months passed, and the routine of a normal, 9 to 5 job took over.
To somehow counteract that, I begun working more and more in order to get more money.
In about a year, I managed to get from being seen as a junior to leading a small team.
he progress was huge, I thought - until a barrage of questions hit me.

This kind of dedication, focused into creating the Unscripted life you want, will get you there. Good for you.

Knowing WHERE you are going and HOW you want to live is a great start.

And you aren't afraid to question accepted conventions of reality.

In other words, you are WOKE.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...