The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Nursing Home industry and My business idea

Idea threads

ChrisS417

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Sep 24, 2007
St. Louis, MO
So just yesterday I had a light bulb go off in my head and I think I have found a way to align my passion for music with my entrepreneurial spirit in a way that will touch people on an emotional level as well as help the nursing homes' businesses. This is all a result of three things that happened to me. One of them happening 7 years ago and two of them in the last week.

#1 My grandpa died in a nursing home and every weekend my father and I would go visit him and play piano for him. Not only did Papa love it, but so did all the other residents. We did this about every weekend until he died.

#2 Last week my dad got laid off from his cash register sales job and is looking for a new way to make money so he decided to go to nursing homes and see if they'd pay him to play piano for about one or two hours a day @ $75 to $100 dollars an hour. Several accepted.

#3 I subsequently took a job working for a valet company a few evenings per week for some extra cash and to keep me from spending so much on the weekends. In doing this I have observed the execution of a great system in which my employer has valets at 5 different events per night paying only $2.15 per hour per valet while I'm sure he is collecting much more. Talk about leveraging OPT and OPE.

Which leads into my business idea of applying that system to nursing home pianists.

Establish contracts with nursings homes to provide live piano entertainment 1-2 hours per day 1-5 days per week only M-F b/c there are volunteers all time on weekends.

Pay music majors and other mature professional pianists $25/hr to basically practice their classical and jazz repertoire for only 1 to 2 hours a day hopefully 5-10 hours per week. I figure I'd need to find 10 to 15 competent pianists who are willing to do this. Given that most musicians are broke, $25 an hour would seem like a fortune considering on a good weekend night with a band that is what they will make.

Meanwhile we collect $75-$100 per hour from the nursing homes for this for a profit of $50-$75/per hour.

There are about 400 nursing homes in my metro area. And with an expected growth in that industry I would expect it to only get more competitive. I would think if someone was A Bing two different homes and they were the same except one provided live piano performance daily I would think that would add significant value in the eyes of the resident and their family.

I gotta go for now, any advice and feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Hopefully I can make this my on-ramp to :fastlane:!!!!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ChrisS417

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Sep 24, 2007
St. Louis, MO
Thanks!

yeah I thought about that after I signed my non compete with the valet company. Also I figured exclusive contacts with the nursing homes would help seal the deal and prevent competition.

I'm not too worried about competition, because the mind set of most musicians is very "S" oriented and most of them want to become big shot stars. I would know being a musician/performer myself and having fallen into the trap of "no one can do it better than me". I'm sure glad I read RDPD! :)

Last edited:

slim_jim

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Jan 31, 2008
Columbus, OH
I am not sure your exclusive contracts would "seal the deal and prevent competition". My wife works for a medical laboratory that deals with nursing homes and it doesn't seem that a signed contract means much. The nursing home is supposed to give 30 days notice to move to a new lab, but it doesn't seem to be honored and they don't, to my knowledge, go after the nursing home for breech of contract. Although the patient, responsible party and/or insurance company is the one being billed for lab services, not the nursing home. So the substantial money the lab is making is not from the nursing home and therefore may not be worth the trouble.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.