The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Struggling? Start here!

Anything related to matters of the mind

sonny_1080

Creating a tool I want to use.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles
This past month I’ve had numerous moments of coming face-to-face with my own scripted mindset. The funny part is how much I delude myself into thinking I’m “Unscripted ” until I see it manifesting itself mechanically in my ordinary life.

I was just watching @Andy Black's Categorising Keywords with MS-Excel and I thought to myself “I learn so much better by doing. And if I’m learning something I can’t take action on… is it really worth learning?” Then I thought about all the times I’ve sat in a classroom thinking about how I’ve been lectured with all kinds of information just like this video I’m watching. The BIGGEST difference between then and now is the CONSUMER vs. PRODUCER MENTALITY.

In school (consuming), I was basically trained to be afraid of failing. God forbid I try something (assignment, homework, quiz) and get a bad grade. I’m basically punished for trying… why? Because I didn’t interpret what a teacher was saying in a way that resulted in my regurgitating it back the way they wanted me to? Whereas now, trying and failing is encouraged and rewarded with wisdom. What does @MJ DeMarco say… “failure is the sweat of success… you can’t have success without it” -> that is such a game-changing statement for the entrepreneur.

When in school (consuming), the fear of failure, caused me to avoid trying, or becoming desperate enough to cheat. I still remember the hesitation and fear that came with being presented with an assignment "I wasn't ready for" (another example of my scripted mentality). Maybe this is where “I have to be an expert before I go into business” comes from?

Instead of launching into business and “failing fast” the scripted mindset tells me I need to enroll in a course and read books or become an expert… only I rarely actually apply what I know because that mindset keeps me going from one tangent to another with learning (consuming) as the focus instead of doing (producing).

It’s hard to be vigilant against one’s own self, but as @IceCreamKid says… mindset is 80% of the game.

-> What are your experiences awakening to your own scripted mindset? <-

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
This past month I’ve had numerous moments of coming face-to-face with my own scripted mindset. The funny part is how much I delude myself into thinking I’m “Unscripted ” until I see it manifesting itself mechanically in my ordinary life.

I was just watching @Andy Black's Categorising Keywords with MS-Excel and I thought to myself “I learn so much better by doing. And if I’m learning something I can’t take action on… is it really worth learning?” Then I thought about all the times I’ve sat in a classroom thinking about how I’ve been lectured with all kinds of information just like this video I’m watching. The BIGGEST difference between then and now is the CONSUMER vs. PRODUCER MENTALITY.

In school (consuming), I was basically trained to be afraid of failing. God forbid I try something (assignment, homework, quiz) and get a bad grade. I’m basically punished for trying… why? Because I didn’t interpret what a teacher was saying in a way that resulted in my regurgitating it back the way they wanted me to? Whereas now, trying and failing is encouraged and rewarded with wisdom. What does @MJ DeMarco say… “failure is the sweat of success… you can’t have success without it” -> that is such a game-changing statement for the entrepreneur.

When in school (consuming), the fear of failure, caused me to avoid trying, or becoming desperate enough to cheat. I still remember the hesitation and fear that came with being presented with an assignment "I wasn't ready for" (another example of my scripted mentality). Maybe this is where “I have to be an expert before I go into business” comes from?

Instead of launching into business and “failing fast” the scripted mindset tells me I need to enroll in a course and read books or become an expert… only I rarely actually apply what I know because that mindset keeps me going from one tangent to another with learning (consuming) as the focus instead of doing (producing).

It’s hard to be vigilant against one’s own self, but as @IceCreamKid says… mindset is 80% of the game.

-> What are your experiences awakening to your own scripted mindset? <-
Sounds like you’ve become aware of the shackles of the script. I agree that exam and assignment culture has a lot to answer for. Good for you.

Envious

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Sep 26, 2017
London
We are a similar age and I had a very similar experience to you.

In school, I started off as a 'bright' student and wanted to do my best with my grades.
As I got older, I started to lose interest in doing what I was told all the time, I wanted to think outside the box and be creative and figure things out in my own way.

I started to rebel, misbehave and fail classes. Eventually, teachers started to label me as a lost cause who wasn't going anywhere in life.

The funny thing is once you get told that enough times, you start to believe it.

So I started to avoid putting in any effort, and in return that keeps you safe from criticism (apart from turning into what they already thought you were)

I half assed college, I quit university and would spend my time playing video games all while having hundreds of ideas and never executing on any.

After years of doing that, you start to develop a mentality of perfectionism, procrastination and a fear of judgement. So you don't put your ideas out there, or your best effort into things because you're afraid of people judging those things.

But that is what entrepreneurship is, and the only way you can get better and reach success, is constantly putting your ideas out there and pushing forward,even when you're not ready.

That is how you become ready.

And the path is the same for each of us, even the high achievers.

sonny_1080

Creating a tool I want to use.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles
We are a similar age and I had a very similar experience to you.

In school, I started off as a 'bright' student and wanted to do my best with my grades.
As I got older, I started to lose interest in doing what I was told all the time, I wanted to think outside the box and be creative and figure things out in my own way.

I started to rebel, misbehave and fail classes. Eventually, teachers started to label me as a lost cause who wasn't going anywhere in life.

The funny thing is once you get told that enough times, you start to believe it.

So I started to avoid putting in any effort, and in return that keeps you safe from criticism (apart from turning into what they already thought you were)

I half assed college, I quit university and would spend my time playing video games all while having hundreds of ideas and never executing on any.

After years of doing that, you start to develop a mentality of perfectionism, procrastination and a fear of judgement. So you don't put your ideas out there, or your best effort into things because you're afraid of people judging those things.
Totally agree.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.