The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Spanish Language Learning Website; my road to the Fastlane

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Would you be interested in using this language learning service?

• Yes

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

Diego M

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jan 8, 2016
I've been lurking in this forum for more than a year and after having finished my undergraduate studies I decided that my life needed a change. God knows why but I stumbled across MJ's The Millionaire Fastlane book in 2015 and I couldn't help but finishing it all in one sitting (Of course there were some concepts that were unclear to me and I'm currently re-reading the book). It was a lifechanging experience but I did nothing back then to start my road to the Fastlane.

Long story short, I'm from Mexico and I work online as a language teacher. In my more than 3 years of experience I've had more than 300 students and I noticed a common problem among them: The low level in the speaking portion compared to listening, reading and writing.

If I had to travel to a place where nobody speaks my first language of course the ability that I'd need the most is speaking! And despite the fact that we live in the technological era, there are currently few ways to improve this partical skill: Either by traveling to a place with native speakers of your target language, having a language exchange partner or hiring a private teacher. While these are really good ways to enhance the speaking abilities, they share one boundary: They're all synchronous.

With this in mind, I created Mextalki, an innovative way to learn Spanish where I show videos of conversations with dual-language subtitles about daily life topics. Also, for the speaking portion, I have a section where I encourage learners to speak as if they were talking to somebody, record that and then, I can personally (for now) give feedback and suggestions.

Outcomes so far:

1. We have a growing Youtube Channel with over 1K subscribers.
  2. Nearly a 100% Positive feedback
  3. Today we launched the website and started creating an email list.

Following the Five Commandments that MJ suggests:

Need.... ✓ (hope so) - 92% of my students wanted speaking practice
Entry....✓ - We don't have competitors in YT and I'm sure that few can do what we're doing.
Control...✓ - I have the entire control of my YT channel and Website.
Scale...✓ - Being an online business we have the opportunity to reach thousands of people and also, in the future, to expand to other languages.
Time.... X - For now, in this venture, I'm trading my time for money.

Now, to be honest, we haven't earned a substancial profit out of this (less than $100 so far) and I don't know exactly what I can do to turn what I'm doing into a legitimate business, but be sure that I'm highly motivated as a result of the positive feedback, my passion for teaching and my incesant eagerness for helping others.

Any thoughts, insights, feedback and suggestions are welcomed. Thanks for reading.

YT Channel: Mextalki DE

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Hicks

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 28, 2013
UK
Hi. Good job so far. I'm in the language space. Trust me on this one, there is competition....brutal competition. Even on YouTube I found some within seconds........however that's not a problem. You can still do very well. Just don't get complacent.

My advice to you is to listen to this immediately MYE 069: Scaling an Online Course Business, with Espresso English Course Creator Shayna Oliveira - Monetize Your Expertise with Grant Weherley
She has a very similar approach to you....and she's doing very well.....but the major difference? She's using podcasts etc as lead capture and then selling courses.

I'd be happy to help further. But probably on dm. Or on the inside forum.
Good luck.

Last edited:

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
I've found some local ads for people wanting to practice their conversational English and willing to pay an hourly rate. I did a few because I like to help people with their conversational English. They really appreciated it because I gave them good tips and got them to practice a few times going backwards and forwards between examples to cement the lessons/corrections in their grammar. I even taught them some funny Australian accent skills which they really enjoyed.

Make it fun and real and they'll enjoy it. I didn't push it into a business because that wasn't my aim but I can tell you that if you make it fun and with real conversations they'll enjoy it and will pay. Good luck.

Diego M

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jan 8, 2016
Hi. Good job so far. I'm in the language space. Trust me on this one, there is competition....brutal competition. Even on YouTube I found some within seconds........however that's not a problem. You can still do very well. Just don't get complacent.

My advice to you is to listen to this immediately MYE 069: Scaling an Online Course Business, with Espresso English Course Creator Shayna Oliveira - Monetize Your Expertise with Grant Weherley
She has a very similar approach to you....and she's doing very well.....but the major difference? She's using podcasts etc as lead capture and then selling courses.

I'd be happy to help further. But probably on dm. Or on the inside forum.
Good luck.

Hi, Hicks! Thanks for your reply. I agree, there's a lot of competition nowadays in the learning language niche. There are lots of free products, courses and webpages. I can think of 5 different tools just now, but I'm not afraid of competition because I know what I'm bringing to the table and that people are responding positively.

I'll listen to the podcast that you suggest, thanks for that! I'm very confident that a YT channel is an excellent way to capture clients but as someone said to me once: "The more ways I have to capture emails of potential customers, the better" That's why I'm currently focusing on social media. However, I'm seriously considering getting into podcasting and paid traffic.

Thanks again!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Diego M

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jan 8, 2016
if you make it fun and with real conversations they'll enjoy it and will pay. Good luck.

That's true. That's why most of my students take several lessons with me. Not only do I provide valuable knowledge of the language but I also keep them engaged by making the class as fun as possible. Thanks for the encouragement!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.