The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Should I Become a Programmer or Just Outsource?

newbieXtra

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 28, 2011
Personally, I think having tech skills is ultimately where all the money is at. I can't help but think of Facebook, Google, and Microsoft all projects started by men who had programming skills that were leveraged into billionaire dollar businesses.

The problem is time. It takes years (some say 10 years in fact) to really develop proficient programming skills. However, once you have those skills, it's game on!

But is it worth all that time? I'll be, hypothetically speaking, 34 years old when I'm getting started on building my fastlane business! The other option would be of course, to hire other people to build the "software" (I don't actually have a solid idea yet of what that software will be), and build the business from there. With this option, by 34 years old I would be towards exiting the business. However, I would have to rely on (read: pay) other people to handle all of the technology: to create it, troubleshoot it, maintain it, and upgrade it. I lose some control, but gain back some time.

What do y'all think, which path should I head down?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
It won't take 10 years to learn how to make a website or web app, it will take months. If you're looking to be a senior programmer at Google or Microsoft then yes, but that would be working with stuff like OS-X or Windows 14.

But nowadays, you can launch your idea now... and cheap.... and fast... open source software with plenty of add-ons and plug-ins.

Also, regarding Microsoft and Google.. those are billion dollar companies; they are exceptions. Billion dollar companies usually (not all) invented the technology curve or became the gorilla in the room on something before the 'technology' curve (mass adoption by majority of population) meet up with them.

LianaWesten

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Jul 22, 2011
Dallas, Texas
@newbiextra: This is exactly my dilemma right now... I saw the same things you mentioned (10 years of learning), looked into the different programming languages, what it all takes... it's a big bite to take, especially when someone has absolutely no programming background.
It's not impossible however, but it does take a long time.

I'm also scared that the speed at which technology is going at right now, who knows if Java or C++ will still be the biggest languages in 10 years? What if something new and a lot bigger comes along and today's technology will be oldish and on the way to be outdated?

It's pretty confusing...

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
@Liana - once you jump in there and learn how code generally operates; the rest of the pieces will literally fall in place. It's like a crossword puzzle; once you have a couple long words; things get way easier.

As for the language; C+ will always be needed.. but IMO; I would learn Ruby on Rails or PHP (but more RoR) because 1) they will be in high demand for def the next 10 years 2) super easy to learn versus other languages and great support/tutorials out there 3) it's internet based language which is virtually where all software is going; into a web app via internet browser (examples: Adobe Photoshop, etc. and even Microsoft Office - Google Docs)

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
Personally, I think having tech skills is ultimately where all the money is at.

I would say people skills are more important to have than technical skills, you can always hire technical people to do the work for you assuming you can manage them well. Obviously Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg because wealthy due, in part, from their technical skills. But technical skills alone would not have done it, they needed business skills and people skills. I haven't done either, but I assume it harder to run a billion dollar company that it is to program a complex website.

The problem is time. It takes years (some say 10 years in fact) to really develop proficient programming skills.

Looking back at my programming education, and knowing what I know now, I could probably develop proficient programming skills in a year with full-time dedication. That's assuming you can learn 6+ hours a day. I would say that I learned the majority of my programming knowledge, which will allow me to duplicate a Facebook or eBay, with about 4 years of on-and-off studying. The quality of their coding would be far superior, but I could get the site to function similar nonetheless.

However, I would have to rely on (read: pay) other people to handle all of the technology: to create it, troubleshoot it, maintain it, and upgrade it.

Ultimately, this depends on your resources available -- time and money -- and whether you can dedicate yourself to many hours of getting down with your "inner geek." Programming is like a foreign language at first and will take some dedication.

I lose some control, but gain back some time.

You will gain control by having other do the work for you. You control your time. You will also control your employees. Don't think that just because you're having someone else do the work that you're not in control. You're the business owner, they serve you. Otherwise, find a new employee. Hope this helps.

Mike McAleer

Banned
May 1, 2011
Sure people who invented facebook and google and what not had backgrounds in programming but it was the idea that did it for them.

Once you have an idea, you can learn as you go and then make bank on the idea that you EXECUTE either with employees or your own work.

Here's the def of an entrepreneur:

"1. A person who organizes and operates a business or businesses, taking on financial risk to do so."

You are the organizer and operator of the business. It doesn't mean you have to do all the grunt work. You hire people who already have the skills.

You just organize it into a marketable idea.

newbieXtra

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 28, 2011
I would say people skills are more important to have than technical skills, you can always hire technical people to do the work for you assuming you can manage them well. Obviously Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg because wealthy due, in part, from their technical skills. But technical skills alone would not have done it, they needed business skills and people skills. I haven't done either, but I assume it harder to run a billion dollar company that it is to program a complex website.

You're absolutely right! I didn't mention it in my post, but I was thinking I would have a major advantage over both programmers and business people because of the fact I would have both the idea and the ability to be able to implement the idea. Programmers are usually just programmers, and business people stick with business.

Looking back at my programming education, and knowing what I know now, I could probably develop proficient programming skills in a year with full-time dedication. That's assuming you can learn 6+ hours a day. I would say that I learned the majority of my programming knowledge, which will allow me to duplicate a Facebook or eBay, with about 4 years of on-and-off studying. The quality of their coding would be far superior, but I could get the site to function similar nonetheless.

How would I going about doing that? I have the time, I'm willing, I just don't know what I should be focusing on the speed up the process? Also, I don't need for the program be perfect, I just need it to work.

Ultimately, this depends on your resources available -- time and money -- and whether you can dedicate yourself to many hours of getting down with your "inner geek." Programming is like a foreign language at first and will take some dedication.

You will gain control by having other do the work for you. You control your time. You will also control your employees. Don't think that just because you're having someone else do the work that you're not in control. You're the business owner, they serve you. Otherwise, find a new employee. Hope this helps.

I have the time, but I don't have the money. I'm in debt, and am going to need to get a job soon to pay it off. Money is one of the biggest reasons why I wanted to do it myself. I use my time and next no money to build it myself, launch it myself, and once it starts taking off, then bring on other people to help further develop and build it. Also, the other big thing is I don't actually have an idea yet, and was thinking that I could be learning some skills in the meantime, while I come up with an idea to implement.

newbieXtra

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 28, 2011
Sure people who invented facebook and google and what not had backgrounds in programming but it was the idea that did it for them.

Once you have an idea, you can learn as you go and then make bank on the idea that you EXECUTE either with employees or your own work.

Here's the def of an entrepreneur:

"1. A person who organizes and operates a business or businesses, taking on financial risk to do so."

You are the organizer and operator of the business. It doesn't mean you have to do all the grunt work. You hire people who already have the skills.

You just organize it into a marketable idea.

So, I should worry less about how to do it, and focus more on what aka the idea to do?

murlin99

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jun 26, 2011
Bill Gates is an OK programmer. He is more of a shrewd business man than a programmer. They bought their first OS spiffed it up a little bit and sold it to IBM with the option to keep the rights to it. That was checkmate in one move. Once Microsoft grew bigger they just bought what they wanted, added a few features and sold it as a Microsoft product. No matter what you are doing or are going to do it is all about the business angle.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
How would I going about doing that? I have the time, I'm willing, I just don't know what I should be focusing on the speed up the process? Also, I don't need for the program be perfect, I just need it to work.

You need two things to start programming: and Internet browser (Firefox, etc.) and a text editor (Notepad, etc.). That's it. Then you start educating yourself.

You can get a good general idea of most languages by researching them on the internet. After you have an idea of how they work, I find it's best to buy a programming book and follow the author in the book by coding the exact same website as him. Don't go on to the next page until it works. If it doesn't work, find out why. A lot of your time coding will be spent correcting mistakes.

While going through these books, think of practical ways you can use the code you're learning in business For example, if the author is teaching you how to turn a background blue, I would then think of in what scenario I would want to change the color of the background. If you wanted to build a website for 14 year old girls, you may want to make the background pink. Just by learning programming, you might think of good ideas for a business.

Once you feel like you have a decent grasp on a particular programming language, start going deeper into it. Research experts on that language and read what they have to say. Think of something you want to do to your website, and then figure out how to make it happen using the programming language you've studied. Bottom line is, you just have to start programming in order to learn how to do it.

Programming languages:
HTML (basics)
CSS (layout)
SQL (for databases)
PHP, ColdFusion (dynamic programming)

Here are some resources to get started:
W3Schools Online Web Tutorials
HTML Goodies: The Ultimate HTML Resource
Free Webmaster Tutorials - Quackit.com
Software training online-tutorials for Adobe, Microsoft, Apple & more

wallstreet

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Sep 17, 2010
Hello newbie I'm also 24 and am in the same position as you. Pretty much I see no reason not to hire talent and learn code at the same time. I'm launching my new start up in 2 weeks time, and everything from the graphic design to the programming was handled by people I hired, yet I'm also learning ruby on rails so that in 2 years time I'll be ready to start programming simple web apps myself.

What language/framework do you want to learn?

newbieXtra

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 28, 2011
Programming languages:
HTML (basics)
CSS (layout)
SQL (for databases)
PHP, ColdFusion (dynamic programming)

Here are some resources to get started:
W3Schools Online Web Tutorials
HTML Goodies: The Ultimate HTML Resource
Free Webmaster Tutorials - Quackit.com
Software training online-tutorials for Adobe, Microsoft, Apple & more

Thanks for the wonderful resources. I went the W3Schools tutorial, and realized quite quickly that I have no desire to build the physical website from the ground up. CSS just looks like a frustration and a half, what with it not working properly across all browsers. I'm thinking I'll ultimately pay someone else to build my website, and just focus on producing web apps because so far it's much more interesting and fun!

newbieXtra

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 28, 2011
What language/framework do you want to learn?

I've been doing some research, and I plan on starting with Python because from what I've found it's the most recommended for beginners, but still can be used to do advanced stuff.

In fact, I've just started and thanks to wade1mil's recommendation have already selected a book that I'm going to work my way through. It's Dive Into Python. I even have a little program I want to try and create after I have finished the book.

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
Coding frustrates the hell out of me. Working with the code I just paid someone to write makes me happy. :)

Limitless

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 19, 2011
There is really no good or bad choice on either learning or outsourcing. It all depends on whether you end up getting into it enough to learn enough to develop the app/website in mind. No other factor should be considered when deciding. Not even time. Let me explain a little.

Most people that have never even tried to learn coding image its fun, easy, cool and impressive to be like those guys on "The Social Network". The reality is that it can be but only if you get into it. Meaning you really end up liking coding, solving problems and all of the challenges that comes with it.

You get into it so much that you even loose track of time and really enjoy doing it. You find it so interesting that you even take your laptop to the crapper to not stop coding. (Not me but I know a few that do this lol.)

But thats not what happens with most people. Most people start learning with excitement and motivation and after about 6 hours of it, realize they just cant get fascinated with coding like kids get with blowing soap bubbles.

They start dreading the time spent on it and soon after decide its not for them. But thats after spending time wondering and asking folks what to do. Well commons sense, coders are going to tell you yeah its a good idea. None coder will tell you to outsource. People in the middle will tell you to learn a little but outsource most of or develop on wordpress. It all depends on you.

Here is what I would do...

Go to Lynda.com and get a 7 day free trial. This is the best tutorial website to learn any type of programing/design. Give it your best shot. If you decide its not for you cancel and dont pay a penny. Otherwise its $37 a month.

But before you cancel watch the wordpress tutorials. They are great for non coders but want to still build their own site. Outsource the rest and focus on your strengths and the things you can really get into. Its a talent to find the right talent to do the work for you.

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
If you know how to make money, outsource. If you aren't great at making money, learning to program probably isn't the worst thing to do, although I'd still suggest just learning to make money instead.

LadyMillionaire

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 9, 2011
Outsource! I'm doing it now and I love it. If the goal is to create passive income sooner rather than later -- outsource! Besides, it kind of fun to watch how quickly things happen. If you were left to your own devices could you really put together a complicated fastlane site in a couple of weeks?

Hire professionals that have been doing it for years that can do it quicker and better than you at this point. You can hire teams where you have 10+ people working on your site and 10 of them is better than 1 you. I swear by it. The whole goal is to save time and make money faster and more passively. OUTSOURCE, OUTSOURCE, OUTSOURCE!

valonzo

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 17, 2011
I'm struggling with the same concept, I concluded to the fact that the level of expertise my site requires is far beyond the time I would need to invest in creating it. In my opinion you should still have a good understanding of code, logic, terminology, frameworks and front end/back end concepts to to be effective. Someone else mentioned open source solutions or CMS (content management systems), that's the option I am persuing since you should not need much once the build is complete. There are several outsourcing sites on the web where they bid for your work, but you should be prepared before you post and layout your vision. The CMS framework will allow you to manage the content via an admin site. There are tons of modules which act as plugins to help you scale over time.

Good luck! :)

LianaWesten

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Jul 22, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Me and my partner realized that we will most likely be outsourcing our programming needs.
Neither her nor me has any ideas about how C++/C# or Java (or any object oriented programming) works, and we feel like we don't want to delay our project for the next 3+ years until one of us (most likely me) learns to program sufficiently good enough to be able to go on.

That being said, I bought the book "Head First Java", and intend to try my hands and mind at learning it.
Definitely want to learn at least the basics so I know what our future programmer will need to have in order for the programming to go as fast as possible. That way we'll save money on his hourly wages hopefully.
(Mind you, we've been planning to get everything ready from the get go... we have many many pages of plans, questions, answers and everything in between already done.)

We have no idea where to get a programmer from though, since our budget is almost nonexistent.

I'm also going to learn how to use Dreamweaver, fortunately I have some friends proficient in that so they can help me with it.

I'd say if one has the money to outsource, then DO IT, but nothing prevents you from starting to learn the stuff yourself. This way your fastlane business won't stagnate for a year or more just because of lack of your programming knowledge at that point in time.

marc100

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Jul 21, 2011
Santa Clara, CA/ Silicon Valley
Outsource! I'm doing it now and I love it. If the goal is to create passive income sooner rather than later -- outsource! Besides, it kind of fun to watch how quickly things happen. If you were left to your own devices could you really put together a complicated fastlane site in a couple of weeks?

Hire professionals that have been doing it for years that can do it quicker and better than you at this point. You can hire teams where you have 10+ people working on your site and 10 of them is better than 1 you. I swear by it. The whole goal is to save time and make money faster and more passively. OUTSOURCE, OUTSOURCE, OUTSOURCE!

Absolutely, agree 1000%.
Did Perez Hilton or Arianna Huffington need to know how to write a blog in order to build one?
Hellz no they got wordpress and movable type and got started.

Does Donald Trump need to know how to plaster a wall or install a dishwasher? No he just hired good people to do it and walks through at the end to see if its done right.

It would take me 10 years to learn how to program a social website, or I can spend $300 and get phpfox and have it all up in a few days.
If you're not technical then programming an interactive site with lots of features is extremely difficult and 1 little " in the wrong place can put fatal errors all over your site.
Why put roadblocks up yourself if you dont need to?

You can buy a CMS to do anything you want then just hire a programmer to tweak it to your specifications.
I say outsource and get your business moving stronger and faster :tiphat:

CVentures1B12

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Oct 18, 2007
Richmond, VA
I've been considering the same question with the marketing platform that I am working on. My partner brought up a great point. Outsource. A) Coding is becoming a commodity and everyone can do it. B) There are so many tool out there that allow you to build a nice site without coding and, usually, free!

Just a couple of things to consider.

JC

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
A) Coding is becoming a commodity and everyone can do it.

Yes, 'everyone', can "program". Very few of those can write maintainable, secure, scalable (albeit this goes with maintainable) code. This is a very important distinction. Hire someone cheap, you'll see how much of a hell hole it becomes once you need to update something, or be able to handle an influx of traffic.

There is a huge difference between writing something that 'works', and writing something maintainable.

Jeremy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Jul 25, 2011
An internet entrepreneur no more needs to program from scratch than a real estate developer needs to shingle a roof.

Now, a good rel estate developer/investor ought to know enough about roofing to hire a good contractor, and know if that person is doing a crap job, charging a fair price, and so on. A good developer will learn a lot about the building trades and be pretty knowledgeable. However, they are unlikely to be wielding a hammer and sporting a hardhat on site.

Same with an internet entrepreneur. You need to know enough programming to know if your programmers are bullshitting you, if they are doing a good job, and are they charging you a fair price (e.g. are you paying them $100/hr to recreate the wheel when there is good off the shelf software that can do the job at a fraction of the cost with a few modifications). If you know nothing about programming, you will get taken, either intentionally by dishonest contractors, or unintentionally simply because you're ignorant and ask for things that are either overpriced for the function or ask for the wrong things.

S

stranger

I've heard the coding is a kind of art. I know one guy who's a crazy coder. It seems he ever sleeps with his laptop. He's been working on one big company for 8 years. He gains a few thousands a month and he looks happy. I'm sure, he could be to earn much more without that company. But he isn't going to sart his own project. He is a top skilled coder but all his thoughts are around the programmiing and no one about starting own business.
As for me, i spent 1 week to learn HTMl and it was easy, but i understood i didn't want to jump in the programing world. I'll be able to hire a skilled programmer if i find a good idea for my fastlane.

CJLmeansBiz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 31, 2011
Boston - Ft. Lauderdale
Jeremy, how to get to "know enough programming"

I couldn't figure out how to contact you directly,but your post is insightful and I am curious to know more. How would I get to the point where I know enough programming and know when I am there. I am sorry if this seems like a basic question but I do not know the answer. How far would you suggest going, taking a course, reading books, building a site? I look forward to your reply.

An internet entrepreneur no more needs to program from scratch than a real estate developer needs to shingle a roof.

Now, a good rel estate developer/investor ought to know enough about roofing to hire a good contractor, and know if that person is doing a crap job, charging a fair price, and so on. A good developer will learn a lot about the building trades and be pretty knowledgeable. However, they are unlikely to be wielding a hammer and sporting a hardhat on site.

Same with an internet entrepreneur. You need to know enough programming to know if your programmers are bullshitting you, if they are doing a good job, and are they charging you a fair price (e.g. are you paying them $100/hr to recreate the wheel when there is good off the shelf software that can do the job at a fraction of the cost with a few modifications). If you know nothing about programming, you will get taken, either intentionally by dishonest contractors, or unintentionally simply because you're ignorant and ask for things that are either overpriced for the function or ask for the wrong things.

SHHDlove

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Sep 13, 2011
Indianapolis, IN
I've known for years that I'm going to start an online based business one day. Despite that, I have learned very little in terms or programming, namely b/c a) I don't like programming b) I like focusing on the business end of transactions c) I can hire/work with a programmer. I've met many in my lifetime and I could go further to get some onboard for my next brilliant idea.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.