The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Saad Khan

Amazon Ads Guy
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Mar 14, 2021
Pakistan
Link to the first progress thread:
A little info about me: At the time of writing, I'm a lazy teenager who turned 18 this month. The last year was full of learning experiences and gave me a reality check. I was left disappointed because I set my expectations too high. This time, they'll be realistic. I hope you'll learn something valuable from my experience. Please read the first progress thread for context.

My 2021 Planasy

This is my 1/5/10 I made when I was starting out back in 2021. I will add the ones I failed to accomplish into my 2022 Planasy. The failed ones are marked "X" at the beginning of each goal.

The biggest mistake was that I didn't break it down to weekly goals. This caused my progress to be stagnant at times and I was action-faking more than taking real action.

- Already started a freelance business (Doing it)
- Get a good PC (Got a mobile instead, so it counts as accomplished)
X Start YT and provide massive value (Deviated after realizing it was not the critical path)
- Get credible (Doing content marketing and helping others)
X Start going to gym (Failed)
X
Already start working on creating income streams (Failed. Need to focus on one consistent channel for now)
- Deal with people effectively (Improved my communication skills)
- Do good in studies (Average results)
- Get ready for making an agency after years of experience (I still have more to learn and grow before getting others onboard).
- Read more books and all gold threads (Done)
- Start making enough money to support myself (Already making enough that fulfills my personal expenses)

Seems like I failed in three of my goals or 2021. Not bad. I will be making more specific goals because most of my goals for 2021 were vague and couldn't be measured.

-2 businesses working
-Agency making $10k+ revenue
-300k USD net worth

-Sell one biz for $5M
-Get back free time
-Location independent
-Independent and pull others out of the rat race

Milestones for Q1:
  • Expand my skillset into e-commerce, marketing, copywriting. Produce some results in the form of $.
  • Establish my profile on freelance platforms and build a personal brand.
  • Get my hands dirty in as many things as I can (currently Amazon). I will want to shift to copywriting and marketing full time because that's where my passion lies and I will be able to establish a strong USP.

A tip for young grafters: Don't use Upwork until you're 18 and have a government ID. They will ban you upon signing a contract because you're underage. Take my advice and save yourself 3 months of struggle.

This is my second execution thread. Slow and inconsistent progress last year. From this year and onwards, I'm not going to be an action faker.

What's the BIGGEST reason behind the action faking and inconsistency?

Demotivating environment. No FTE and lack of motivation.

I'm surrounded by slowlaners, sidewalkers, and religious fanatics. This is why I'll be moving to cities with business incubators so I can grow in a thriving environment.

The feedback on my previous execution really helped me boost my morale. I think you might be able to give me unbiased feedback since everyone has an ego that is biased. Here are a few guys who really helped me keep pushing despite the odds.

If you're new to the forum, take a moment to read this. Make a progress thread. That will keep you accountable and also receive feedback from experienced folks, especially @Andy Black. I'd like to thank him and many more people that helped me in my process. Here are a few more.

@Speed112
It's really nice to see how your mentality has shifted over such a short few months.

The insecure start, not really knowing where you're going... the doubt and anger when reality kicked you in the butt... the confidence and reassurance from still making the most out of your path and being rewarded for your effort.

And now, there's the hope and gratitude from living your change and looking forward to bigger things.

You can see these in the language you use, the areas you choose to focus on, and, I would assume, we'll soon see it in your breakthrough and results as well. Great job!

You sound like you've been doing it for years already.

Let us know how you manage to break down your 2022 goals into an actionable plan for the next few months.
There are many others who contributed to the progress thread. You should go and check them out.

Going to post my 2022 Planasy.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Saad Khan

Amazon Ads Guy
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Mar 14, 2021
Pakistan
2022:
  • Get $100 of consistent income (First milestone). Then $200 and so on until I hit the goal of $1000/month this year (low expectations but not pessimistic)
  • Learn excel (so I’m able to analyze data from tools and find the right product to pitch to amazon sellers).
  • Post content on social media (once per week at least)
  • Establish my profile on freelance platforms and build a personal brand
  • Start going to the gym
  • Regular morning walks
  • Start waking up at dawn
  • Improve my communication, marketing, sales, and copywriting skills (I’ll stick to this one forever)
  • Start getting orders on freelance platforms and social media
  • Work on creating multiple income streams
  • Build marketing and sales funnels and work on CRMs this year
  • Build and market private label dropshipping stores. Doing this because it’s low cost and the fastest way to become good at driving traffic and sales (This is more of a learning-oriented goal than a CENTS-oriented goal).

This year I’ll become good at what I do, so good in fact that I’ll consistently overdeliver.

Monthly Breakdowns (For February)
  • Learn excel. Watch at least one course every day.
  • Get amazon tools. Spend 1 hour at least hunting products and markets.
  • Start running and managing ad accounts (especially Facebook ad accounts)
  • Start working on my freelance and social media profiles

How I define myself right now:
"I’m an unscripted entrepreneur who is temporarily working at a marketing agency as a copywriter and marketer.”

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
The routines you consistently implement will carry you through to the goal. Or at least, you'll have something you can evaluate and figure out how to change so that the next iteration carries you to the goal. You're ahead of where I was at your age in executive thinking... I would bet you're on the right path.

This year I’ll become good at what I do

This also helps, so much. Being a technician at something, caring about the work and making it better and better, pays compound interest.

Good luck skill! I'm looking forward to following along. :)

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Agency making $10k+ revenue
This number is too low for 2026. Do what you say you're going to do this year, put your systems in place, be consistent, and you can hit this kind of revenue by the end of 2023.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
2022:
  • Get $100 of consistent income (First milestone). Then $200 and so on until I hit the goal of $1000/month this year (low expectations but not pessimistic)
  • Learn excel (so I’m able to analyze data from tools and find the right product to pitch to amazon sellers).
  • Post content on social media (once per week at least)
  • Establish my profile on freelance platforms and build a personal brand
  • Start going to the gym
  • Regular morning walks
  • Start waking up at dawn
  • Improve my communication, marketing, sales, and copywriting skills (I’ll stick to this one forever)
  • Start getting orders on freelance platforms and social media
  • Work on creating multiple income streams
  • Build marketing and sales funnels and work on CRMs this year
  • Build and market private label dropshipping stores. Doing this because it’s low cost and the fastest way to become good at driving traffic and sales (This is more of a learning-oriented goal than a CENTS-oriented goal).

This year I’ll become good at what I do, so good in fact that I’ll consistently overdeliver.

Monthly Breakdowns (For February)
  • Learn excel. Watch at least one course every day.
  • Get amazon tools. Spend 1 hour at least hunting products and markets.
  • Start running and managing ad accounts (especially Facebook ad accounts)
  • Start working on my freelance and social media profiles

How I define myself right now:
"I’m an unscripted entrepreneur who is temporarily working at a marketing agency as a copywriter and marketer.”
Try rewriting “Start going to the gym” with “Go to the gym 3 times a week”.

I have a couple of videos on a YouTube channel called “Excel Corner”. They’re only short but might help.

Saad Khan

Amazon Ads Guy
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Mar 14, 2021
Pakistan
What I've done in the last 2 days:

Learning excel
I now know how to do basic stuff. This thing is pretty powerful ngl.

LinkedIn Sales Navigator:

Day 1 with Sales Navigator.

I'm sending connection requests to startup founders and CXOs of different companies. One part of my brain says to keep it straight and short and pitch them on the first call (like a direct-response marketer should). Another part of me says to warm them up by personalizing with them.

I'll go with the direct response method and straight up ask them if they want to book appointments. Do let me know if the latter is worth the time.

I will have to come up with good offers. Do you suggest any good offers for a marketing agency?

About Amazon:

I'm waiting to buy amazon tools with my experienced amazon friend. I also have exams so it might be delayed. Until then, I have a ton of working and learning to do.

Saad Khan

Amazon Ads Guy
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Mar 14, 2021
Pakistan
Try rewriting “Start going to the gym” with “Go to the gym 3 times a week”.

I have a couple of videos on a YouTube channel called “Excel Corner”. They’re only short but might help.
Found your channel.

3 videos and I bet they'll be helpful. Thanks!

I'll link it here for someone who might need it.

Saad Khan

Amazon Ads Guy
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Mar 14, 2021
Pakistan
Been loving this bro! Read all through your last thread and this one. One day you'll be writing a book on this journey you set upon!
Maybe. When I'm living the Unscripted life, then I can use these progress threads as source materials for the book.

Saad Khan

Amazon Ads Guy
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Mar 14, 2021
Pakistan
Got access to 3 Facebook ad accounts. Little MileStone achieved!

Also, I launched two new campaigns for one of the companies. I hope to turn these accounts into gold!

Saad Khan

Amazon Ads Guy
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Mar 14, 2021
Pakistan
I got fired from the agency for being honest. Here's how it happened.

When I got access to the facebook ad accounts, they were badly optimized and the agency did some grave mistakes such as turning off profitable campaigns with positive ROI when Christmas was coming because they didn't want to spend money on ads at "Christmas". All of this happened before 2022. They also used click farms to drive traffic to their Facebook pages. Talk about sabotaging your own campaigns LOL.

There were lots of other mistakes such as not making any kind of audiences from facebook pixel. The pixel had virtually no data.

To give you an idea of how bad it was, the agency spent £3,000+ on an ad account and generated 2 sales (on record).

I know you're cringing. I felt the same.

So I messaged the CEO about all of this mess (he also acts as the account manager), and didn't get a reply for 3 days straight.

Client calls me and asks me about progress. I was doing a very good job on messenger campaigns but no WhatsApp ones (I couldn't track their metrics). I told him about all the blunders.

Welp.

Long story short, I argued with the CEO about the values the agency was operating on. He boasted about his 4 years of experience (stick it up your a$$). I lost my temper and said lots of honest things.

Then I learned a lesson.

Loyalty>Honesty.

This is the agency that made me work for free for 3 months for free :rage:

I decided to use them to learn as much as I could and then leave. I had no intentions of taking revenge tho. I just happened to take revenge with my honesty XD.

What I learned when I was managing those Facebook ad accounts was priceless. Will say I achieved my objective.

I also did launch profitable B2B messenger campaigns in one ad account. Their ROAS was about 6-7X. Made them around £1200 with £200 ad spend.

As of now. I have now time to focus on lots of exciting things. I will write about what's happening nowadays in detail later.

I applied for other agencies but didn't get hired.

Oh yes, because I'm underage. Wow. Don't ask me why, my age on official papers is 17. And I'm actually 18.

I have built a stronger resume than most of 18 year olds.

I need to land a good gig so I can make some money to launch some Amazon dropshipping stores with my amazon geek buddy.

This is the thing that I've been learning after being laid off from the agency. A few years down the line, I might be the amazon guru here, who knows?

I don't intend to compete with @biophase. He's one of the guys I look up to and have respect for.

I haven't compared myself to anyone other than myself.

I have penetrated the amazon space and will be using it to generate capital to launch Fastlane businesses. Sounds good, right?

A CENTS business is my biggest goal.

"It doesn't matter what you know. What matters is what you do with what you know."

I still struggle with procrastination and action faking. I binge-watched the first season of peaky blinders. Loved it. Also felt guilty after finishing it.

Also discovered my personality type is ENTJ. Guess I'm a ruthless commander, eh?

P.S. In case you were wondering, getting fired from the agency was the best decision for me. I decided to leave the agency in January but didn't have the balls to say it. Grateful that it was done for me.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I got fired from the agency for being honest. Here's how it happened.

When I got access to the facebook ad accounts, they were badly optimized and the agency did some grave mistakes such as turning off profitable campaigns with positive ROI when Christmas was coming because they didn't want to spend money on ads at "Christmas". All of this happened before 2022. They also used click farms to drive traffic to their Facebook pages. Talk about sabotaging your own campaigns LOL.

There were lots of other mistakes such as not making any kind of audiences from facebook pixel. The pixel had virtually no data.

To give you an idea of how bad it was, the agency spent £3,000+ on an ad account and generated 2 sales (on record).

I know you're cringing. I felt the same.

So I messaged the CEO about all of this mess (he also acts as the account manager), and didn't get a reply for 3 days straight.

Client calls me and asks me about progress. I was doing a very good job on messenger campaigns but no WhatsApp ones (I couldn't track their metrics). I told him about all the blunders.

Welp.

Long story short, I argued with the CEO about the values the agency was operating on. He boasted about his 4 years of experience (stick it up your a$$). I lost my temper and said lots of honest things.

Then I learned a lesson.

Loyalty>Honesty.

This is the agency that made me work for free for 3 months for free :rage:

I decided to use them to learn as much as I could and then leave. I had no intentions of taking revenge tho. I just happened to take revenge with my honesty XD.

What I learned when I was managing those Facebook ad accounts was priceless. Will say I achieved my objective.

I also did launch profitable B2B messenger campaigns in one ad account. Their ROAS was about 6-7X. Made them around £1200 with £200 ad spend.

As of now. I have now time to focus on lots of exciting things. I will write about what's happening nowadays in detail later.

I applied for other agencies but didn't get hired.

Oh yes, because I'm underage. Wow. Don't ask me why, my age on official papers is 17. And I'm actually 18.

I need to land a good gig so I can make some money to launch some Amazon dropshipping stores with my amazon geek buddy.

This is the thing that I've been learning after being laid off from the agency. A few years down the line, I might be the amazon guru here, who knows?

I don't intend to compete with @biophase. He's one of the guys I look up to and have respect for.

I have penetrated the amazon space and will be using it to generate capital to launch Fastlane businesses. Sounds good, right?

A CENTS business is my biggest goal.

I still struggle with procrastination and action faking. I binge-watched the first season of peaky blinders. Loved it. Also felt guilty after finishing it.

Also discovered my personality type is ENTJ. Guess I'm a ruthless commander, eh?

P.S. In case you were wondering, getting fired from the agency was the best decision for me. I decided to leave the agency in January but didn't have the balls to say it. Grateful that it was done for me.
Be careful with that type of honesty. There is a time and a place. You can often get your point across and not burn bridges. Sounds like you needed to move onto somewhere with similar values to you.

Saad Khan

Amazon Ads Guy
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Mar 14, 2021
Pakistan
Be careful with that type of honesty. There is a time and a place. You can often get your point across and not burn bridges. Sounds like you needed to move onto somewhere with similar values to you.
I learned my lesson. Loyalty is what holds families and corporations together. I will say I'm glad I realized this early on and will be avoiding these kinds of mistakes in the future.

Speed112

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
284%
Dec 5, 2013
Over here, over there.
I learned my lesson. Loyalty is what holds families and corporations together. I will say I'm glad I realized this early on and will be avoiding these kinds of mistakes in the future.

Commitment over loyalty imo. You can commit to a cause or person absent faith or submission. You can and should have relations at an equal level wherever you can. Respect should be mutual and ongoing, not assumed. Don't take this experience to be a lesson that you must suck it up or miss out...

From my outside perspective seeing how things unfolded, I think you did nothing wrong. The responsibility is on the employer to manage perceptions and if they don't want clients to know about what shitty of a job they've done, maybe they 1. shouldn't do a shitty job in the first place and 2. don't let the people fixing the mess interact with the client.

I'm glad it led to you learning a ton and getting results. Hopefully you've documented those results so you can use them to get others to trust you and let you help them.

Don't let your age discourage you...

And try to stop working for free lol.

You've basically proved that you're better at managing FB ads than the agency owner guy who was exploiting you and got his panties in a bunch when you've revealed their incompetence. What does he have/do that you don't to be at his level and even exceed it?

This situation is a big win and should give you the confidence to get your own clients and create big value.

What holds things together are trust, understanding, communication... Loyalty is faith absent those, and it has a similar effect, but in my opinion is a lot more fragile. I would never rely on it. Be loyal to yourself, first and foremost, and considerate, but skeptical of others.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

I think that’s the wrong lesson. The real lesson is what @Andy Black said: know the time and place.

You need to be respectful and appropriate for the right situations.

Hell, I rant and post a lot of stuff on the forum anonymously that I would never say in front of a customer or an employee etc.

You can be honest without being rude or disrespectful.

There are times when you really need to watch what you say.

Again, this will seem reallyyyy ironic coming from me (lol) but I promise I act way different in a professional setting in real life than I do talking to fellow fastlane forum members. I consider this more of a “safe zone” to chat, because I’m not selling anything here on the forum or putting up a persona.

When you’re working, you are selling, always. You’ve got to take care with what you do and say. It sounds shitty, but it’s true. It is hard. Trust me. And there are some things that are WAY more important than your career success, and I get that, and you might want to stand up for those things. But that is the lesson in my opinion.

(If you are selling something on the forum you should really treat your account like a professional/business account and avoid arguing with people and stuff. I’m not. This is my personal account only.)

Last edited by a moderator:

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
He boasted about his 4 years of experience
Yes, and there’s a better way to generate more revenue.

You’re just lacking a bit of diplomacy and that’s fine when you’re just starting out anyway.

Most people prefer sugarcoating.

I just told you you’re just starting out, I didn’t call you young & stupid.

Notice the difference words have on you?

I too had a problem with being too honest. People respected that but nothing else. It crippled my ability to make more friends/ network more.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
There’s a book called how to win friends and influence people.

One of the biggest takeaways I took from it is asking yourself “what is the purpose of my communication?”

Asking yourself this will result in far better outcomes than just saying what you want to say.

Since the agency fired you and you were running successful campaigns for that client, could you steal that client?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Since the agency fired you and you were running successful campaigns for that client, could you steal that client?
Ah. I wouldn’t do that. Everything we do and don’t do is building our personal brand. It’s an asset that can bring us business throughout our lifetime. If anything I’d see if I could mend those burnt bridges and part on good terms.

Saad Khan

Amazon Ads Guy
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Mar 14, 2021
Pakistan
There’s a book called how to win friends and influence people.

One of the biggest takeaways I took from it is asking yourself “what is the purpose of my communication?”

Asking yourself this will result in far better outcomes than just saying what you want to say.

I read that book back when I was just starting out. I guess I didn't retain the lessons. I'll be going over the key takeaways again.

He contacted me. They're planning to find another team and asked if I could help them. I still have some tips for them to optimize their campaigns but they're not gonna get it until they PAY.

I can steal them easily, but there's a lot on my plate right now. I'm now busy with a lot of other stuff related to e-comm and amazon.

I networked with some guys in the amazon space. They gave me access to their professional tools in exchange for writing their product page. I guess that doesn't count as working for free, @Speed112? He's also a top-rated seller on Fiverr so I see long-term benefits from this guy.

I sensed that they need a competent partner and have their eyes on me.

I'm also going to be launching an amazon dropshipping store with another e-com guy (he's my friend). In a nutshell, you get traffic for free. You just gotta avoid suspensions and stay under the radar for 6 months.

My intentions are to generate capital from this venture, which I can use to invest in other ventures and traveling to business incubators.

I've also got exams incoming so I'm not going to be looking for clients actively. This means I have a lot of time to learn new stuff haha.

Not quitting marketing or writing. Just expanding my skillset :smile2:

Saad Khan

Amazon Ads Guy
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Mar 14, 2021
Pakistan
I
I'm glad it led to you learning a ton and getting results. Hopefully you've documented those results so you can use them to get others to trust you and let you help them.
I documented the latest results in an excel sheet. I guess it's believable for a client, isn't it?

I have some screenshots of the dashboard. To add on top of that, I had shared the account in Tudor's live stream.

Speed112

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
284%
Dec 5, 2013
Over here, over there.
I

I documented the latest results in an excel sheet. I guess it's believable for a client, isn't it?

I have some screenshots of the dashboard. To add on top of that, I had shared the account in Tudor's live stream.

Yeah sounds good.

If you're exchanging for favors or other forms of compensation that benefits you, it's fine. Doesn't have to be money, as long as you're satisfied with the exchange.

p0stscript

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Feb 7, 2018
UK
I read that book back when I was just starting out. I guess I didn't retain the lessons. I'll be going over the key takeaways again.
Books can be amazing things, two people can read the same book and come away with different ideas and have different things inspire them. A book you find good, inspiring, motivational or educational, is always worth reading again to pick up insights you may have missed the first time.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
290%
Apr 24, 2016
I think that’s the wrong lesson. The real lesson is what @Andy Black said: know the time and place.

You need to be respectful and appropriate for the right situations.

Hell, I rant and post a lot of stuff on the forum anonymously that I would never say in front of a customer or an employee etc.

You can be honest without being rude or disrespectful.

There are times when you really need to watch what you say.

Again, this will seem reallyyyy ironic coming from me (lol) but I promise I act way different in a professional setting in real life than I do talking to fellow fastlane forum members. I consider this more of a “safe zone” to chat, because I’m not selling anything here on the forum or putting up a persona.

When you’re working, you are selling, always. You’ve got to take care with what you do and say. It sounds shitty, but it’s true. It is hard. Trust me. And there are some things that are WAY more important than your career success, and I get that, and you might want to stand up for those things. But that is the lesson in my opinion.

(If you are selling something on the forum you should really treat your account like a professional/business account and avoid arguing with people and stuff. I’m not. This is my personal account only.)

This. I am also no expert in diplomacy in my personal life but in a professional setting, everything changes.

@Saad Khan When you're working in an agency you have to remember that you are a part of the agency. You're not just out for yourself. Furthermore, someone (the client) has trusted you with their money - one of the most vital components of our lives.

Now, people get lazy. Colleagues can be incompetent. And sometimes, even the CEO has it all wrong...

And that's EXACTLY when you should be opportunistic!

Why?

Because if you get the job done in spite of those things/people holding you back while also using diplomatic language to minimize the damage your dumb & lazy colleagues caused, you will now be seen as The Guy™.

Who's The Guy™?

The Guy™ is an expert who can compensate for his colleagues' lack of abilities by taking control (regardless if he's just a worker or the CEO, or whatever the F*ck).

For example, your colleagues forgot to set up the pixel (or it stopped working for some reason and they neglectfully did not notice). This has been an ongoing issue for a week, your client's revenue has dropped significantly and they're panicking.

So what can you do? Here's an example:

You can give your colleague a chance to redeem themselves by pointing out to them that tracking seems weird lately and asking whether they might know what's causing it. If they proceed by troubleshooting the error and fixing it, let them know that they should write an update and send it to the client so that they know you're staying on top of things (in control of the situation).

HOWEVER...

If they don't fix the problem - fix it yourself. Even if it's not your job. Use Google.

Boom, you just took control and got some The Guy™ points with your client!

But what if they fix the issue without updating the client?

Well, that basically means they only fixed HALF the problem. Because the biggest problem you have as an agency is retaining that client for as long as possible and they NEED to know that you're doing things. Useful things.

So, just write the update yourself. And even if you fixed the problem all by yourself, always acknowledge that you're a part of a team by saying "We fixed X and did Y, and now Z is back to bringing sales.".

Boom, you just took control and got some The Guy™ points with your client AND team!

A week later, you notice that one of your colleagues is exceedingly useless and even detrimental to the agency's relationship with a client.

What do you do? You kill FOUR birds with ONE stone!

But how?!

Well, you take control by helping your boss out with finding and interviewing a much better candidate for that colleague's position. Your client is now ecstatic about the results he's getting while your boss thinks you're a F*cking genius. Hell, you even gave an actual worthy individual a job which could very well change their life!

Boom, you just took control and got some The Guy™ points!

And hey, guess what - the CEO, your boss, noticed all of this. That same CEO who's been dreaming for YEARS about how someone competent takes over his business and just manages shit for him.

Boom, you're now The Guy™ and took over the agency.

Suddenly, you start getting offers for way more money and work than you even anticipated while also acquiring godlike confidence with all sorts of clients + the ability to lead others.

You now have your own agency.

Anyway..

Gimmicks aside, you have to know how to turn a bad situation into a good situation for everyone (or at the very least someone).

In services that usually means appeasing your client first. Then your boss. And finally, yourself.

But what you did did not appease anyone. Your client thought you were all idiots and left. Your boss was affected by the loss of a client and an attack on his ego. Your ex-colleagues are still incompetent. And you? You're left without a job.

ZERO value provided.

It's basically The Butterfly Effect. A small change can significantly influence a future outcome.

To quote the Lawrence of Arabia:

"Big things have small beginnings."

Good luck!

Last edited:

Saad Khan

Amazon Ads Guy
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Mar 14, 2021
Pakistan
@Saad Khan When you're working in an agency you have to remember that you are a part of the agency. You're not just out for yourself. Furthermore, someone (the client) has trusted you with their money - one of the most vital components of our lives.
I love your take on the possibilities that were possible.

I wanted to leave the agency in January 2022.

I didn't realize that telling the client the problems that I fixed would result in such a mess. I did provide value to them and kept their ROAS at 6x-7x. This was the client I wanted to work with, can't believe I ruined it for everyone with my ignorance.

And you? You're left without a job.
Yes. I'm actually very happy that I have left that content job. That's what I wanted. I wanted to leave the agency because:
  1. They treated me like a slave for the first 4 months and didn't pay me a dime. When I asked for it they refused (despite working for them 4-6 hrs a day). That led to me having a vendetta against them.
  2. I hated writing content for them because they offered unlimited revisions to their clients. Clients would exploit the heck outta me and make me write 10 bullet points in 10 days!
  3. I despised the first client they made me work with. I pleaded to them to let me handle other accounts.
  4. I have exams and tests every month (have to prepare for that).
  5. What do you expect from a Pakistani agency? The CEO literally told me he was going to hire unpaid interns and recruit the best one with the lowest wage and maintenance. Talent doesn't come for cheap.
There are so many factors and events that would take me a good hour to write here. In a nutshell, I ruined my mental health for the clients and my learning progress stagnated.
  1. He doesn't value talent. I witnessed at least 4 skilled marketers and copywriters come and stay at the agency for 3-4 days (max was 2 weeks), and never look back.
I will be ecstatic to work for other agencies because they don't ditch your efforts and make you their slaves. They also have talented people you can learn from.

@Simon Angel , talk about wisdom, your advice was the best choice I could've possibly made for everyone.

Last edited:

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
It's good to mess up once or twice in a professional environment, especially when you're young. I recall getting on the nerves of an important broker once, at a place where I worked. It taught me how not to get on the nerves of important brokers, a skill I put into practice from that point on. :rofl:

G

Guest-5ty5s4

It's good to mess up once or twice in a professional environment, especially when you're young. I recall getting on the nerves of an important broker once, at a place where I worked. It taught me how not to get on the nerves of important brokers, a skill I put into practice from that point on. :rofl:
Haha literally this.

Practice with your boss, so you don’t do it with big customers later...

I laugh when a seller to the company I work for behaves rudely, knowing how bad their mistake is, and I get real polite real quick when I’m the seller.

Saad Khan

Amazon Ads Guy
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Mar 14, 2021
Pakistan
Ok guys, time for an update (after 22 days)

Ok so I'll define the ecom guys for you first.

There were two guys down the street where I used to live at in 2021. I didn't know they were running amazon businesses.

I arranged a meeting with both of them in a cafe. We talked about ecom and legal issues related to companies and amazon policies, their experiences etc.

One of the guys is running a $30k Private Label Amazon US launch with one of the best amazon product launching companies in Pakistan as its supervisor (and arbitrator). He was his own store in Amazon UAE which was running for a year (generated profit this month). He's the top rated seller on fiverr I was talking about.

The other guy is an amazon PPC nerd. I guess we both are a match in heaven.

After listening to Tudor's podcast insights, I narrowed down and shortlisted these skills.

Before: "I will get good at marketing, copywriting, and sales."

Now:
I realized that I committed to a lot of things earlier so I'm shortlisting the skills I currently want to have/possess:

I have practical experience with these (at the time of writing)
  1. Copywriting and Content writing
  2. Facebook ads

I will learn these skills so I can get good at them and charge good money for it:
  1. Amazon Ads
  2. Google Ads
  3. Getting good influencer marketing deals
  4. Funnel building/funnel copywriting
  5. Ecom store management
  6. Getting clients at good prices (I give too much away for free)

I realized while working in the marketing agency is that social media marketing has a lot of people involved in it. This kept me busy all the time and I didn't have enough time to get other stuff done. That's why I'm going to become a campaign manager so I have to deal with numbers (suits my analytical brain) than tens of colleagues.

I managed to convince one of the ecom guys to let me handle his client's wholesale account. Will update you once I get the ball rolling again.

Saad Khan

Amazon Ads Guy
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Mar 14, 2021
Pakistan
3 months later and here I am.

Wrote an Amazon Private Label brand's listing (for the ecom guy) and optimized it to the brim. My content got approved by the biggest ecom authority in my country. I'm happy.

Was invited back to the old agency. I proposed higher rates but he declined. So I put him on a 15-day break. I'm getting bolder day by day.

Will be launching an ecom agency with the ecom guy since he isn't good at english. I do the talking/branding/bring in clients while he does the fulfillment. We are 3 workaholics who are going to change our lives this year.

The ecom guy has the results, the magic touch of growing 12+ amazon private label and wholesale stores + he has built over 200 Shopify websites. A liquid developer. I will be negotiating him for a 30% sweat equity in his startup agency. I will be needing a lot of marketing education.

The frenzy is going to take an official start on the 1st of July. Tons of obstacles but I don't care. Everything will be just fine.

Also bought a LinkedIn course a few days ago. Time to utilize LinkedIn. I also am going to bring in clients by the personal brand I establish on LinkedIn.

Saad Khan

Amazon Ads Guy
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Mar 14, 2021
Pakistan
This is a question for anyone who is not getting results.

Are you consistent? Don't lie to yourself.

I know I'm not.

Consistency is the sauce I need to obtain and I need discipline for it. One of my goals for 2022.

Okay, back to LinkedIn profile optimization

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
This is a question for anyone who is not getting results.

Are you consistent? Don't lie to yourself.

I know I'm not.

Consistency is the sauce I need to obtain and I need discipline for it. One of my goals for 2022.

Okay, back to LinkedIn profile optimization
By default I'm inconsistent. So much so that it's like a bum knee, or a heroic flaw or something. Ultimately my solution has been to find people who will be consistent for me, or turn the thing that needs to be consistent into code.

Edit: Code, or some kind of documented step by step system. But since I'm incapable of leaving any system alone (due to boredom I think), I eventually have to find someone to follow it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.