The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

jdm667

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 27, 2020
Boston, MA
Charlie Munger was alive during the Stock Market crash of 1929 and the subsequent Great Depression.

He's currently outperforming almost everyone, including people like Cathie Wood... Just sticking to the fundamentals
Scary to think about: all of the Wall Street guys under 34 years old have never worked during a 50% down market like we had in 2008/2009.

Munger has learned from those types of experiences (multiple times) ... the young guys have not.

I am curious to see how they do in such a market.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Scary to think about: all of the Wall Street guys under 34 years old have never worked during a 50% down market like we had in 2008/2009.

Munger has learned from those types of experiences (multiple times) ... the young guys have not.

I am curious to see how they do in such a market.
Even worse, what about wealthy boomers that have their money with a millennial manager? :wideyed:

I don’t trust anyone with my money anymore. That’s the primary reason I started self directing. I had JP Morgan private banker BS and it was just a pig with a TON of lipstick.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Even worse, what about wealthy boomers that have their money with a millennial manager? :wideyed:

I don’t trust anyone with my money anymore. That’s the primary reason I started self directing. I had JP Morgan private banker BS and it was just a pig with a TON of lipstick.
I realized at a young age that it was silly to pay someone to manage my money when I could do it self directed and pay nothing (aside from a near 0% fee on some etfs)... AND take better care of it.

Those advisors don't get you "outsized returns." They plop your money into a fund just like you can do yourself, and they take out hefty fees for the privilege.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I realized at a young age that it was silly to pay someone to manage my money when I could do it self directed and pay nothing (aside from a near 0% fee on some etfs)... AND take better care of it.

I realized when my manager basically told me-

Aggressive= 80% Stocks, 20% bonds
Moderate= 50/50
and Conservative was like 30/70 (can't remember)

That AOK, AOM and AOA iShares ETFs would do the EXACT SAME THING with NO REBALANCING tax implications.

JPM needs to beat those ETFs by a MINIMUM of 1.85% every year just to justify the fees... And that doesn't even count the rebalancing tax costs.

The short answer, they won't.

For the average person it may feel weird to just slam every dollar you have into 1 single ETF, but those three are basically what you pay big money for at a "prestigious" bank.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

Those advisors don't get you "outsized returns." They plop your money into a fund just like you can do yourself, and they take out hefty fees for the privilege.
At the time, I thought I was busy with a multi-billion dollar startup and managing my money for 2% a year was ignoring my core competency to pick up pennies.

As I have worked my time out of my ventures, pruned the losers, and and invested more money, it is making more sense to spend a few hours a week on it.

Last edited:

Sander

When in doubt, dare.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
323%
Mar 19, 2014
How come every app builder now a days are building to-do list tools?

Madame Peccato

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jul 14, 2018
Morbegno, Italy
Productivity is the new buzzword. Gotta be "more productive" with a million to-do lists. Whatever that means. Pen and paper isn't cool anymore apparently.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Productivity is the new buzzword. Gotta be "more productive" with a million to-do lists. Whatever that means. Pen and paper isn't cool anymore apparently.

The joke is that the more you focus on productivity, the less productive you are because you spend more time managing productivity tools/techniques than getting shit done.

Mathuin

Provide Relative-Value or Die Trying
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Dec 20, 2020
Belfast, Northern Ireland

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

The joke is that the more you focus on productivity, the less productive you are because you spend more time managing productivity tools/techniques than getting shit done.

I can't stand all those "productivity gurus" on YouTube.

Agreed... It focuses on the wrong thing...

Your personal productivity, while needed, is not as important as organizational productivity.

What can your organization preform in your name? This can be a combination of strategic partnerships, manufacturing agreements, employees, automation, ETC... But it skews the owner's hourly income to the stratosphere.

When a deal closes without one moment of input from the owner... That's real "pRodUctivitY."

Mathuin

Provide Relative-Value or Die Trying
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Dec 20, 2020
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Agreed... It focuses on the wrong thing...

Your personal productivity, while needed, is not as important as organizational productivity.

What can your organization preform in your name? This can be a combination of strategic partnerships, manufacturing agreements, employees, automation, ETC... But it skews the owner's hourly income to the stratosphere.

When a deal closes without one moment of input from the owner... That's real "pRodUctivitY."
Felix Dennis has a good take on this in 'How To Make Money'. States the work undertaken by your colleagues and employees is more important than your work and it's undisciplined to let yourself fall into the trap of working like a Trojan.

FDTT1.jpg

FDTT2.jpg

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
G

Guest-5ty5s4

Starting or buying a business - which one do you prefer and why?

I was going to start a thread on this but it seemed like a stub of a post. Just one simple question or poll.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

I was going to start a thread on this but it seemed like a stub of a post. Just one simple question or poll.
Probably starting, because everyone brings their own flavor of eccentricities to a business, I know how to deal with mine, but I don’t want someone else’s.

jdm667

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 27, 2020
Boston, MA

Starting.

Logically, I know it is probably better to buy an established business with a proven track record (solid profit, follows CENTS) and business model.

However, I like to do things my way, and that includes how the business is built and run. Someone else's SOPs that make no sense would drive me crazy.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
Live in a cool place near cool things in your 20s. That will help you meet and socialize with interesting & smart people.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
Was @Simon Angel banned from the forum over the rants in the copywriting thread? I thought I saw a “goodbye” thread that disappeared while I was traveling and checked in again. @thechosen1 replied?

All rants go here folks!

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
I have no idea. I ignore almost everything on copywriting but I replied to his “goodbye thread” to encourage him to stay.
Good on you. I don’t like people leaving over a little squabble. And I appreciate diverse opinions. Hope he stays.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
I have been showing my not-quite-two year old son videos of truck convoys the last few days. He excitedly shouts "Truck! Truck!" the whole time.

I guess he decided to make his own convoy! I am happy that he is excited about this, even though he does not yet understand.

I am hopeful that this means he can have all the things a child deserves. They deserve to see other children's faces. They deserve to play at parks. They deserve to be able to play with other children they see at the grocery store and the mall without their parents pulling the other children back in terror. They deserve to visit Grandma and Grandpa whenever they want, without their parents fear of being ticketed by the government. They deserve their childhood.

What scares me is children having to grow up without ever seeing facial expressions outside of their own home. It is time people stopped being terrified and started living again.20220131_210742.jpg

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
He was not banned, only he was banned from the the copywriting thread when he thought relentless ad hominem attacks was a good way to prove his argument. His departure thread was deleted, If the forum no longer works for anyone, it is unnecessary to post some grand proclamation of your exit, you simply leave and never return. Or message the forum and request an account deletion.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
fyi if suddenly don’t seem to be around for the next few days…

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
Get well soon @MJ DeMarco
Sending healing vibes your way.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Starting. I like figuring stuff out.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.