The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
Since my name has been mentioned, maybe i should offer some input.

In our conversations you keep bringing up family stuff that is no one else's business. That is why I say that you seem to have a need for family.

I am not sure this is the right
I had minimal contact with my dad in my ages 12-20 his choice. We got back together at 20, my choice and it was beneficial . I established boundaries at around 28, my choice, due to my kid and his grandkid.

We each have our own crap we go though, we feel alone but everyone is going through it in some form. Crap to some is gravy to others. We all have different limits to what we will put up with.

You have to weigh life with the status quo vs the benefit of walking away. Maybe take an extended break for a trial run?

Edit to add: holiday seasons tend to bring out emotions. I would be careful about making any permanent, life long, decisions during a temporary season.
I've sorted this out and won't post on the forum of my personal business. Sorry guys.

Thank you for all your posts. Have a great holiday season.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I've sorted this out and won't post on the forum of my personal business. Sorry guys.

I don't see any issue with it, life isn't all business. I responded to your question on the Inside.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Did you ever feel like your family never supported you, but yet you supported them? Was your family full of drama over past events and never looked forward or have gotten over it? Was your real father never around, even if he tries, he disappoints you. Or is your mother focusing only on one child and not the rest of the siblings? Were you the "Self-Sufficient" style of person that you learned at an early age that you had to take care of yourself or learn everything on your own?

I basically told off my father about the abandonment I felt and thanked him for giving me life, spoke with him last night he told me that he doesn't believe that I take risks, yet he doesn't fully know me. And my mother is still in this deep state of emotion at the loss of the youngest sibling of our family going to prison, it's been 5 years now since the event happened.

I don't blame anyone for what has happened, I know my family is going through issues. But I have felt isolated and that no one wants to get to know me.

What was the line in the sand or deciding factor for you to go no contact and do your own thing? As in enough is enough, my personal happiness matters, I'm going to go my way.

Too much drama, if you ask me.
It only hurts if you expect them to be supportive. If that expectation goes, then you just stay focused on your own thing. Families (and by this I mean parents specifically) rarely are supportive of business, because starting a business is in many ways being an outcast. Unless your business is a transition from a job, sort of like @Antifragile when he started his company. Families can sometimes be supportive of that. But any sudden "rupture" in normality, they won't be supportive of.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
It only hurts if you expect them to be supportive. If that expectation goes, then you just stay focused on your own thing.

This is what I've found. People get mad when their families and friends don't support them and I'm like... no shit they're not going to support you! Why should they? They don't understand.

If you have no results, then there's no reason to support you.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

This is such a sad belief. So your family and friends don't value you unless you produce results? You aren't worthy of their help because you're supposed to do everything by yourself?

I support anyone who's working on their goals. Why would I support them only when they're already getting results and don't need my support as much anymore?

The support that counts the most is precisely when everyone else thinks you're not going to make it, when there's this one person who believes in you whether you have a track record or not.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
This is such a sad belief. So your family and friends don't value you unless you produce results? You aren't worthy of their help because you're supposed to do everything by yourself?

That's not what I said. It's not "value", it's "support", as in, do they believe in you enough to place a bet on you. No, of course not. They shouldn't believe in you. They will value you as a friend or family member, while thinking that you're a bit crazy for chasing such lofty goals. That's what I expect of others.

I support anyone who's working on their goals. Why would I support them only when they're already getting results and don't need my support as much anymore?

I agree. But I cannot expect this from my family, who has never had any sort of business success and has only done things in conventional ways. My family cut me off financially when I was a teenager because I wanted to go do my own thing. I've never asked them for money ever. But I don't resent them for it and in fact I thank them for it. They did not emotionally manipulate me to get me to stay. They said, "OK, it's your life". They did not yell at me and say "Do you know what happens to people like you?" They said, "go ahead, you can always come back". And I didn't come back.

They treated me exactly the way I wanted to be treated. But many people who come here are not so lucky.

The support that counts the most is precisely when everyone else thinks you're not going to make it, when there's this one person who believes in you whether you have a track record or not.

And that's why the forum exists. I believe that anyone who is willing to try, try, and try again can succeed. As long as they don't give up. It doesn't matter if they have to get a job, or live with their parents.

Everyone starts from zero. Everyone starts with no experience. Everyone needs help. But family and friends cannot always be the help you need.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
This is what I've found. People get mad when their families and friends don't support them and I'm like... no shit they're not going to support you! Why should they? They don't understand.

The problem is progression curve for business and hustle are different from a job.

And lay person only sees it via lens of how much you are bringing it in a month.

It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy that nothing else than a job is worth doing. Basically it’s a view that doesn’t make sense.

It has to do with the quality of anti-business argument I hear. It basically sounds like “You have a cousin younger than you working as a software engineer in a big multinational company making much than you, which means whatever your job + hustle are BS”. I would say this is the most irritating and triggering one.

Talking about asymmetric upside is not something that the lay person can comprehend. I learnt that you need to respond nonsense with nonsense.

Just tell them “AI gonna kill all jobs” (an exaggeration) so we better start working for ourselves. It works better.

Last edited:

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Just tell them “AI gonna kill all jobs” (an exaggeration) so we better start working for ourselves. It works better.

Great idea.

Use the "doom and gloom" mentality to shut down the doom and gloom naysayers. Brilliant.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Great idea.

Use the "doom and gloom" mentality to shut down the doom and gloom naysayers. Brilliant.
Tested and proven to work multiple times.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia

This is the problem, this is how we think so it’s how we think everyone should think

The problem is they don’t

All they see is risk, you doing something different or weird, and it challenges their world view

They just want you to be normal and like them

To be safe and predictable and happy and secure

Have a traditionally good or high status job

Im not saying they only value this side of you, but as far as what you are doing for money, this is what most people value

Some parents care more than others about what you do for money side of you

But most unless they are entrepreneurs themselves are not going to support or encourage behaviour they think is risky or going to lead to a bad outcome

It’s not even malicious they want what’s best for you and they think a safe secure job is the answer

My parents, even a lot of my friends will still tell me to go back out mining because they think that’s what’s best for me, or maybe their world view can’t stand to see someone do something that doesn’t fit in with it

It’s only that side of things though, our relationship is great otherwise, I really can’t understand expecting support from someone when you are doing something they don’t understand and see as risky. You understand it and believe in yourself so why give a F*ck if they support you or not. And why should they support you if you have no track record and no success yet.

A lot of people couldn’t stand to admit certain facts and still can’t over the last 2 years because it would mean rethinking entirely how they see the world, I guess it’s the same thing

Once you’re wildly successful sure maybe they’ll accept it but that’s only because the risk is gone and successful life they want you to have is there, or maybe they won’t, I can imagine being wealthy and retired and having my friends and family telling me I need to go back to the mines

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA

Even though not related to business it technically is as the person you are today was influenced by your family. Many people may not be able to relate to your situation because we all have had different relationships with our parents and siblings.

But if you are opening up about this on a public forum then it's probably something that is bothering you or is important to you.

There are some people who have no idea what it's like to dislike their parents because that wasn't their upbringing. Me personally, I removed my dad from life because he is a physically and verbally abusive psychopath. And I can't reciprocate that. And don't get me wrong, there are certain dysfunctions where that doesn't necessarily make the person a "bad" person, and then there is. But a lot of people won't be able to resonate with something like that.

But the sad realization is that we are all in this alone. And no one is going to understand your situation better than you. to me this is one of the hardest things about life.

Last edited:

Jrjohnny

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 18, 2023
Instead of focusing on reasons for being successful or unsuccessful, focus only on what you can do today to make tomorrow better.

Incremental improvements will compound.

Too much contemplation about our past and how we got here isn’t as helpful as simple, stupid, unreasonable drive to just do. The more you do, the better you become. Be so busy doing shit that you have no time to contemplate your past baggage, broken families or broken dreams. Get after your new self, the future.
Do today what others won’t, so tomorrow you can do what others can’t”

“Regrets don’t change the past, worrying doesn’t change the future. It only drains todays power”

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I F*cking hate Zapier. It's the most complicated stupid tool I could never figure out how to use for any integration. Software that relies on Zapier instead of having their own API integration tools is stupid, too.

Thank you for your attention.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas

Thank you for all your posts. Have a great holiday season.
That was never what I meant Zack. I understand it bothers you so it needs to be dealt with. I had been confused by what the end goal is and how getting others involved was going to help. I have seen you rehash this over and over for about a month. Each time I can feel your pain with no good outcome and that is not healthy.

MJ and the forum has been very supportive with my non business stuff and I appreciate it. I have no problem with you posting non business stuff on the forum that you need help with Rehashing over it repeatedly with no progress is hard to watch though. FWIW, you do this more when you have down time, weekends and you posted this at the end of a 4 day weekend. I agree with @Antifragile, go hardcore on your stuff and be so busy you don't think about it anymore. Keep moving forward my friend.

Last edited:

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Ditched the big stuff. Booked a Uhaul. Booked hotels. Booked carpet cleaning. Property management takes over my home Friday. Secured a townhome. I'll be in Utah in 6 days. I feel like Goku headed to Namek, but nobody needs my rescue.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Ditched the big stuff. Booked a Uhaul. Booked hotels. Booked carpet cleaning. Property management takes over my home Friday. Secured a townhome. I'll be in Utah in 6 days. I feel like Goku headed to Namek, but nobody needs my rescue.

At this rate, Utah will soon become the most Fastlaner-dense state in the US.

Lex, admit that you're only moving because you're fanboying MJ too hard.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
I F*cking hate Zapier. It's the most complicated stupid tool I could never figure out how to use for any integration. Software that relies on Zapier instead of having their own API integration tools is stupid, too.

Thank you for your attention.
I bought this Zapier knockoff ages ago called pabbly connect

It was like $99 for lifetime

It’s been great, I setup the one automation I use it for once and it’s done, no more monthly payments

You’ll probably hate it even more though because it’s not as polished as zapier

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I bought this Zapier knockoff ages ago called pabbly connect

It was like $99 for lifetime

It’s been great, I setup the one automation I use it for once and it’s done, no more monthly payments

You’ll probably hate it even more though because it’s not as polished as zapier

I decided to skip all the complicated stuff and set up a simpler funnel. Two companies won't make any money from me because I refuse to use Zapier for the sake of my mental health lol.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I decided to skip all the complicated stuff and set up a simpler funnel. Two companies won't make any money from me because I refuse to use Zapier for the sake of my mental health lol.
Simpler is good.

Edoardo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Aug 31, 2022
At this rate, Utah will soon become the most Fastlaner-dense state in the US.

Lex, admit that you're only moving because you're fanboying MJ too hard.
He's going there to see skinwalker ranch.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia

Yeh, i just set up a new landing page for my newsletter opt in myself.

I am not using it as yet, but it will make for a simple transition once my wordpress plan expires.

Like you, it's all with the same company and super simple.

Nothing flashy.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia

Panos Daras

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Oct 10, 2022
Today, I had a recruiter call me about an interesting, high-salary role.

She found my profile on LinkedIn and wanted to propose me for a freelance position with one of her clients. Everything was fine until she called and asked, "Why do you want to leave your current role?" Eh, I AM NOT! Nowhere in my profile does it say #lookingforwork. You called ME to help YOU with YOUR CLIENT.

You work for a hiring manager who was obviously masturbating for half the year and, just before the Christmas vacation, realized she needed to fill a maternity leave role, even though I am sure she knew her subordinate was super pregnant a long time ago. It's not like you can hide that! In addition, she wants to fill this role within a month!

And I will be PAID to help both of you. It's a BUSINESS TRANSACTION.

What has happened in the last 10 years with recruiters and business in general? Why does everything have to fit into some higher purpose shit? Why aren't people thinking anymore before asking stupid questions? This has happened twice with recruiters hiring for this particular company.

---PS: All these were just thoughts inside my mind. Never vocalised.

Sorry for the RANT carry on :)

Strategery

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jun 25, 2019
View: https://youtu.be/hBj0-dIU8HI?si=1SQps6uZxI1iA-D_

Holy F*ck I love that song and video. It’s heavy metal, so not for everyone. Memento Mori is a Latin phrase quoted by Stoics that means “Remember you will die.” Basically that your time here is limited.

That song is about all the distractions of the modern world… i.e. instruments of the Script meant to enslave your mind. The video has what looks to be demons chasing the main character. Gives me chills.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ

She found my profile on LinkedIn and wanted to propose me for a freelance position with one of her clients. Everything was fine until she called and asked, "Why do you want to leave your current role?" Eh, I AM NOT! Nowhere in my profile does it say #lookingforwork. You called ME to help YOU with YOUR CLIENT.

You work for a hiring manager who was obviously masturbating for half the year and, just before the Christmas vacation, realized she needed to fill a maternity leave role, even though I am sure she knew her subordinate was super pregnant a long time ago. It's not like you can hide that! In addition, she wants to fill this role within a month!

What has happened in the last 10 years with recruiters and business in general? Why does everything have to fit into some higher purpose shit? Why aren't people thinking anymore before asking stupid questions? This has happened twice with recruiters hiring for this particular company.

I'm not sure what the problem is. Maybe I'm stupid, but I don't see the stupidity in the recruiter's approach.

Filling a role within a month seems like a reasonable time frame. Why would you try to hire somebody earlier than that?

And then asking if you're willing to leave your current role? Why is that a bad question? Maybe in their mind, they're wondering if they can get you part-time or they can get you full-time?

Panos Daras

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Oct 10, 2022
I'm not sure what the problem is. Maybe I'm stupid, but I don't see the stupidity in the recruiter's approach.

Filling a role within a month seems like a reasonable time frame. Why would you try to hire somebody earlier than that?

And then asking if you're willing to leave your current role? Why is that a bad question? Maybe in their mind, they're wondering if they can get you part-time or they can get you full-time?
You are not stupid, you are just thinking in US standards. In the Netherlands the employemnt laws are very strict and set in stone (and recruiters of all people should know that). For example there are almost no contracts for people that can leave their current role earlier that a month. Plus interviews take 1-2 weeks most of the time to accomondate everyones schedule.

Also a question like "Why are you willing to leave your current role?", is a stupid question because I did not directly apply to the role. She asked me to leave my current role to work for her client. Their intent was always to find someone full time from the begining. So the whole conversation does not make sense. It is like calling a -insert sport here- player to leave their current team by throwing money at them and asking "Why do you want to leave your team?"

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018

I understand some of where you are coming from, but what I am confused about is why this event triggered you?!

Recently I had a similar experience with a recruiter connecting to me over an opportunity to fill a role of a President for a local company. You know I could have been bitchy like your post above and said "Do your research, can't you tell I am an owner and President already of a similar sized company. Why on earth would I even contemplate talking to you? Yada yada yada..."

Instead here's what I did. I replied:
(copy/paste redacted)
Hi ____recruiter's name____,

Thank you for your email and the opportunity. As a co-founder of ___my company_____ I am not seeking any job opportunities.

I’d be open to meeting ____owner's name_____ if my company can be of assistance with either human or dollar capital to help him develop some of his land holdings. But I appreciate that relationships are predicated on trust that takes time to build and you are only seeking a replacement a President role.

Thanks again and have a nice day,

___my signature____

I see no reason to be pissy about someone offering me opportunities in life. I am grateful instead.

Perhaps what your post shows is how everything is about you, you and you. What's making you so pissy about a high-paying opportunity that you can always just say "no"?

Panos Daras

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Oct 10, 2022
I understand some of where you are coming from, but what I am confused about is why this event triggered you?!

Recently I had a similar experience with a recruiter connecting to me over an opportunity to fill a role of a President for a local company. You know I could have been bitchy like your post above and said "Do your research, can't you tell I am an owner and President already of a similar sized company. Why on earth would I even contemplate talking to you? Yada yada yada..."

Instead here's what I did. I replied:
(copy/paste redacted)

I see no reason to be pissy about someone offering me opportunities in life. I am grateful instead.

Perhaps what your post shows is how everything is about you, you and you. What's making you so pissy about a high-paying opportunity that you can always just say "no"?

You've misunderstood the situation. The recruiter and hiring manager are actually causing problems for everyone, and this is not good or ethical business practice.

First, they're costing the S&P 500 company they work for more money by being late in hiring. As a result, they have to hire a freelancer for three times the usual cost.

Second, because they're hiring at the last minute in the Netherlands, they most probably end up hiring someone who's not the best fit for the job. This person will be overpaid but might not do the job well. I've seen this firsthand when I worked for them.

Third, they're harming the company's reputation. They demand immediate start dates, ignoring that most people need to give a month's notice to their current job or client.

And of course, it's odd when they ask questions like "What would make you leave your job?" when they've approached me for the role. Although I'm grateful to be wanted, this question doesn't really make sense in this context.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
PRO-TIP: Whenever you read or hear the phrase "free training," run the other way.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.