The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Apr 24, 2016
Does anyone here knows how to get wide lats without access to a cable machine/lat-pulldown machine?

My usual routine to train lats is 1 set of 23 pullups, 3 times a week (going down elbows locked and up again). Been doing this for 5 years. Strangely, the pullups doesn't seem to increase my lat width.

I could have high lat origin/insertion points which results in less visible lats. Or it could be poor genetics. Besides the pull-up bar, I also have access to an ez-curl bar with plates.

I have huge, wide lats, and just a few years ago I looked like a holocaust survivor after a prolonged health issue, so I had to rebuild all of the muscle on my body from scratch.

I only do wide-grip pull-ups (palms facing forward) for 5 sets of my max reps per day/every other day. Focus on perfect form and doing them slowly. Not like negatives, but controlled and without being fixated on the numbers.

Oh, and I also do wide push-ups and farmer carries, but I don't know how much of an impact those have had on my lat size.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
And I thought 3 sets x 23+ reps / week is a big deal lol :rofl:
The idea is that muscles are oblivious to how many reps you can do.
The exact number is not really that important - we only use it as a means to measure progress.

What matters is that you perform every set to or near failure, and that this failure happens between 6 and 30 reps. This will provide an adequate hypertrophic stimulus on most exercises.

To hit 10 - 25 sets a week, I assume that would mean doing about 3 sets x 7 days a week?
I personally would never do pullups every day to avoid serious injury to the joints and tendons. 2-3 times a week should suffice (at least 1 day of rest between training sessions).

I can't do 23+ reps for 3 sets, so guess I need to reduce that to 10 reps x 3 sets x 7 days.
Reps will naturally go down with every subsequent set. This is normal and is actually a sign of proper stimulus.

I would start with 5 sets to failure 2 times / week. Don't focus on the rep count, focus on using proper form and going to failure on each set.

And don't forget to eat a ton of food. Diet will determine 80% of the results.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
@MJ DeMarco or any of the admins: If we want to post an ad for hiring someone from the forum, what sort of post should we buy? In the past we had special "Hiring" or "For Hire" ads, but those seem to be gone. What are the options for doing that now? Cheers!

That function was discontinued due to lack of use and interest. The only option now would be to place a Marketplace Ad.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Let me guess, a quiet quitter?

I'm surprised someone at Quora delivered this facial instead of screaming justified righteousness for being a deadbeat.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
And I thought 3 sets x 23+ reps / week is a big deal lol :rofl:

To hit 10 - 25 sets a week, I assume that would mean doing about 3 sets x 7 days a week?
I can't do 23+ reps for 3 sets, so guess I need to reduce that to 10 reps x 3 sets x 7 days.
Numbers don't mean anything. Go to nearly failure, wait a bit, and then do it again. If your last set is literally 2 reps that means you are doing a good job. For example, if you are doing biceps, by the end of your workout you want those 10lb weights to feel heavy and be only able to do a comically small number of reps. Pushups? Feel like you are going to smash your face on the floor after 5 reps.

Oh, and I miss pullups. I used to do them all the time until I messed up my elbow, and then kids jumped on my outstretched arm on the couch and hyperextended my arm, and now my shoulder is crap. Now if I do pull ups my right elbow is instantly messed up. Any idea for making that go away? I stretch with voodoo floss after every workout and it helps immensely, but I still can't do pull ups without regretting it.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Numbers don't mean anything. Go to nearly failure, wait a bit, and then do it again. If your last set is literally 2 reps that means you are doing a good job. For example, if you are doing biceps, by the end of your workout you want those 10lb weights to feel heavy and be only able to do a comically small number of reps. Pushups? Feel like you are going to smash your face on the floor after 5 reps.

Oh, and I miss pullups. I used to do them all the time until I messed up my elbow, and then kids jumped on my outstretched arm on the couch and hyperextended my arm, and now my shoulder is crap. Now if I do pull ups my right elbow is instantly messed up. Any idea for making that go away? I stretch with voodoo floss after every workout and it helps immensely, but I still can't do pull ups without regretting it.
Have you seen a good sports physio?

xShepherdx

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
354%
Apr 11, 2022
Idaho
**** Rant ****

F**k Uber.

I took two rides last night that were estimated at ~$25 bucks each, but they ended up being around ~$50 each, which I was only told about AFTER they were completed and I had tipped, etc.

As a kicker, the front-end charge within the app still shows the original quoted amount, but when I open that ride there's a ~$25 charge added where the tip would normally be, and the final receipt shows the $50 charge as the regular ride price + all the other fees & tip.

Now, a $50 difference isn't going to ruin me, but what really drives me crazy is that:

1) All of their support options seem to pin the driver for the extra cost (Ex: Did your driver take a different route?)

No, they took the correct route and both were simple, easy trips with zero traffic. This is an issue with Uber itself, not the drivers.

2) There is literally no way to talk to a human that works at Uber.

The only way to get "help" is through their app, which only has support options that assume the driver was at fault (they weren't, they were actually great, fast, clean, etc.) or that there was heavy traffic/construction (there wasn't it was a simple ride on the freeway on Tuesday night with no traffic at all).

There's no "I was quoted something wildly different than what I was charged for" option within their support options that doesn't pigeonhole the driver or passenger as making an error.

There is no support email, and no phone number to call. You can't even send them messages through the app. WTF?

I get that quotes can change, but to literally double the cost of two rides in one night without any heads up, surge pricing, etc. feels like a blatant rip-off. Especially when you can't even talk to the company who's billing you.

**** Rant over ****

parabolic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 7, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
It isn't my natural thought process to search Instagram for local tattoo artists. I barely have an Instagram. I searched Google for service + town like for any other service.

I'm meeting with an artist who has a strong Instagram portfolio, but I don't know much about her because she doesn't write anything on her posts lol.

I don't know if the artwork is her creation or something customers brought in. Nothing about what they asked for, how long it took, how much it cost, how to get schedule an appointment, etc.
Your posts hurt me to read. You admit that all of the artists are on Instagram but you refuse to use it to your benefit. Instead you yearn for the whole tattooist community to conform to your expectations. I find this confusing.

You know that you can comment or message people on Instagram and ask questions right?

There are plenty of tattoo artists and studios that have extremely detailed websites. Where are you trying to get tattooed? Perhaps this is a problem specific to your location?

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Your posts hurt me to read. You admit that all of the artists are on Instagram but you refuse to use it to your benefit. Instead you yearn for the whole tattooist community to conform to your expectations. I find this confusing.

You know that you can comment or message people on Instagram and ask questions right?

There are plenty of tattoo artists and studios that have extremely detailed websites. Where are you trying to get tattooed? Perhaps this is a problem specific to your location?
Don't ever put words in my mouth or you'll find out how much my posts can hurt.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Do you want help getting good tattoos or not? I'm extremely disappointed by your response.
No, I don't. I never asked for help. You'd know that if you had any capacity for reading comprehension. That's why I told you to F*ck off nicely instead of breaking your post down line by line to tell you to F*ck off in a much longer rant.

parabolic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 7, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
No, I don't. I never asked for help. You'd know that if you had any capacity for reading comprehension. That's why I told you to F*ck off nicely instead of breaking your post down line by line to tell you to F*ck off in a much longer rant.
Sounds like you were describing a problem before. I was going to engage you on the many pain points you experienced, and described, in your previous posts. I have decades of experience in the tattoo industry. I am interested in making websites for tattoo artists. I'm not sure why you're so upset and telling me to f off now. Is this how you conduct all of your business dealings? Is this how you talk to tattoo artists that you want work from?

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Sounds like you were describing a problem before. I was going to engage you on the many pain points you experienced, and described, in your previous posts. I have decades of experience in the tattoo industry. I am interested in making websites for tattoo artists. I'm not sure why you're so upset and telling me to f off now. Is this how you conduct all of your business dealings? Is this how you talk to tattoo artists that you want work from?
I didn't ask for help. I described an opportunity. I don't care what you have experience in or what you're interested in. I'm upset because you put words in my mouth. Yes, this is how I conduct business. Your last question is irrelevant. This is my final response to you. Maybe I'll change my mind about you and engage with you again sometime if your posts prove worthwhile.

parabolic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 7, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
**** Rant ****

F**k Uber.

I took two rides last night that were estimated at ~$25 bucks each, but they ended up being around ~$50 each, which I was only told about AFTER they were completed and I had tipped, etc.

As a kicker, the front-end charge within the app still shows the original quoted amount, but when I open that ride there's a ~$25 charge added where the tip would normally be, and the final receipt shows the $50 charge as the regular ride price + all the other fees & tip.

Now, a $50 difference isn't going to ruin me, but what really drives me crazy is that:

1) All of their support options seem to pin the driver for the extra cost (Ex: Did your driver take a different route?)

No, they took the correct route and both were simple, easy trips with zero traffic. This is an issue with Uber itself, not the drivers.

2) There is literally no way to talk to a human that works at Uber.

The only way to get "help" is through their app, which only has support options that assume the driver was at fault (they weren't, they were actually great, fast, clean, etc.) or that there was heavy traffic/construction (there wasn't it was a simple ride on the freeway on Tuesday night with no traffic at all).

There's no "I was quoted something wildly different than what I was charged for" option within their support options that doesn't pigeonhole the driver or passenger as making an error.

There is no support email, and no phone number to call. You can't even send them messages through the app. WTF?

I get that quotes can change, but to literally double the cost of two rides in one night without any heads up, surge pricing, etc. feels like a blatant rip-off. Especially when you can't even talk to the company who's billing you.

**** Rant over ****
Dara is squeezing both drivers and riders now in a futile attempt to achieve profitability for the company. They've run out of VC and the economy is in the dumps. There is an excess supply of drivers because so many people are doing poorly and need extra money.

Driving is (more like was) one of my side hustles and it's really horrible for everyone now. I've moved on rather than complain about it.

If you'd like to talk more about this at length, I'd be happy to explain any questions you might have, and perhaps we can figure out some solutions or ways to exploit the weaknesses of Lyft and Uber. Our conversation might take up too much space in public forum.

parabolic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 7, 2021
Gilbert, AZ

Shoulder injuries are very difficult to heal. It sounds like you need rest. I have had multiple friends who reinjured the same injury repeatedly which of course, prolonged the healing time. Athletic people don't want to give up doing the things they enjoy, so they naturally want to jump back into the activity before their body is ready. When was your injury?

parabolic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 7, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
I have huge, wide lats, and just a few years ago I looked like a holocaust survivor after a prolonged health issue, so I had to rebuild all of the muscle on my body from scratch.

I only do wide-grip pull-ups (palms facing forward) for 5 sets of my max reps per day/every other day. Focus on perfect form and doing them slowly. Not like negatives, but controlled and without being fixated on the numbers.

Oh, and I also do wide push-ups and farmer carries, but I don't know how much of an impact those have had on my lat size.
How wide is your grip for PU exactly? I've read different things about wide grip PU so I'm curious.

xShepherdx

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
354%
Apr 11, 2022
Idaho
Dara is squeezing both drivers and riders now in a futile attempt to achieve profitability for the company. They've run out of VC and the economy is in the dumps. There is an excess supply of drivers because so many people are doing poorly and need extra money.

Driving is (more like was) one of my side hustles and it's really horrible for everyone now. I've moved on rather than complain about it.

If you'd like to talk more about this at length, I'd be happy to explain any questions you might have, and perhaps we can figure out some solutions or ways to exploit the weaknesses of Lyft and Uber. Our conversation might take up too much space in public forum.
I agree that they're squeezing both riders and drivers now, which is why I wanted to talk to them about adjusting the amount as opposed to just canceling the payment via my cc or something. The drivers did a great job and totally deserve to be paid for their effort and kindness. Uber as a corporation... I'm not so sure.

Tbh I only take Uber/Lyft occasionally when I plan on having a few drinks, so I'm not too interested in discussing ways to resolve or work around their scumminess.

Also, after going through a HUGE maze of help articles on their app, I finally found a link on their website that let me request a fare review. Maybe I'll get it, maybe I won't. Either way, it's just shocking (or maybe disappointing?) that a ~60 billion dollar company has basically nonexistent customer service.

Edit: To clarify, if the charges don't get changed I'm just going to take the $50 loss. I'm not going to screw two drivers out of their pay just because Uber had problems. I only mentioned canceling the charges on my CC as a hypothetical option.

Last edited:

Xavier X

Gold Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Jan 1, 2016
These United States
Random reminder to update the footer copyright statement at the bottom of your websites.

Ideally, your setup should automatically do that, but sometimes, it has to be done manually. I've seen many websites recently with 2022, 2021 etc. I just saw a country embassy's official site in the US, with a 2020 footer copyright.

Whenever I see that on websites, it rubs the wrong way, so yeah.

c4n

Full throttle
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
May 30, 2017
Random reminder to update the footer copyright statement at the bottom of your websites.

Ideally, your setup should automatically do that, but sometimes, it has to be done manually. I've seen many websites recently with 2022, 2021 etc. I just saw a country embassy's official site in the US, with a 2020 footer copyright.

My websites:

PHP:
&copy; Copyright XXX 2010-<?php echo date('Y'); ?>. All Rights Reserved.

:cool:

G

Guest-5ty5s4

If you’re worried about the brand of clothes you wear, stop it.

Get fit. Go buy a 5-pack of Hanes t-shirts. You will look better than a fat guy in a fancy suit. And if you are wealthy, you don’t need to show it.

The art of copywriting in one quote?
"The royal road to a man's heart is to talk to him about the things he treasures most" - Dale Carnegie
nailed it. Go deep.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

Isn't this the opposite of the reason you put the copyright on the website? You're not supposed to just update the year every year. In fact, if you wrote an article in 2013, it should be copyright 2013. There's no reason to make it 2023. What if someone in 2022 copies it. Then your website says 2023, basically saying that your article was made after the 2022 copy. Which means you copied it.

At least this is my general understanding of the purpose of the copyright in the footer.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I was debating about redesigning the Unscripted cover as the book gets more popular. I was thinking about a big fat middle-finger since book titles with "f-this" and "f-that" seem acceptable nowadays. What do you think? This is not in response to any negative feedback on the cover, which in fact, no one has ever commented negatively on the cover. When TMF was first released, it was a daily event.

mikecarlooch

Apprentice & Student Of The Game
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
347%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
Does anyone here use LucidLink and willing to hop on a 10 minute call? Need urgent help

parabolic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 7, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
I was debating about redesigning the Unscripted cover as the book gets more popular. I was thinking about a big fat middle-finger since book titles with "f-this" and "f-that" seem acceptable nowadays. What do you think? This is not in response to any negative feedback on the cover, which in fact, no one has ever commented negatively on the cover. When TMF was first released, it was a daily event.
Sounds good. Not sure if you're familiar with the clothing company Rip n Dip and their character Nermal - but basically he's a white cat who is always flipping the bird, often hiding behind a pocket or other moving part of the clothing. He is wildly popular.

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States

My opinion is that a book with that type of cover wouldn't interest me. Seems cheap to me. But then again, books in general with swear words or "provocative images" don't interest me. E.g. "The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck". The book's content may be great, but if we're talking about the front of the book, something like that doesn't gravitate me toward reading the book.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Respectfully, I think the big fat middle finger is the new orange Lambo.

Xavier X

Gold Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Jan 1, 2016
These United States
Isn't this the opposite of the reason you put the copyright on the website? You're not supposed to just update the year every year. In fact, if you wrote an article in 2013, it should be copyright 2013. There's no reason to make it 2023. What if someone in 2022 copies it. Then your website says 2023, basically saying that your article was made after the 2022 copy. Which means you copied it.

At least this is my general understanding of the purpose of the copyright in the footer.

You might be misunderstanding the purpose of a footer copyright statement on a website. It's different from say, a physical print of a book, a published article with a timestamp or a movie on physical or virtual media.

On most websites, the copyright statement is typically a catch-all, for everything on the site. For instance, in the code c4n shared above, the PHP code is written to dynamically append today's year to the copyright statement. A "from" year (typically launch) - [today's year]. This is how most websites are set up to present that information.

Using this forum as another example, this is the current footer copyright statement. It appears @MJ DeMarco also updates his manually, and hasn't gotten around to changing 2022 to 2023.

1674087002360.png

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
You might be misunderstanding the purpose of a footer copyright statement on a website. It's different from say, a physical print of a book, a published article with a timestamp or a movie on physical or virtual media.

On most websites, the copyright statement is typically a catch-all, for everything on the site. For instance, in the code c4n shared above, the PHP code is written to dynamically append today's year to the copyright statement. A "from" year (typically launch) - [today's year]. This is how most websites are set up to present that information.

Using this forum as another example, this is the current footer copyright statement. It appears @MJ DeMarco also updates his manually, and hasn't gotten around to changing 2022 to 2023.

View attachment 46814
I am actually talking about the copyright date on a website. This forum has content created daily, so I understand that its copyright date should be updated. However, on other websites were nothing changes, there is no reason to update it.

In fact, I would use a copyright date range instead of a year on a website like this.

I had a personal website in the early 2000s and somebody told me that my copyright date was five years old. But I had not updated the website in five years. So I actually researched this back during that time. And my conclusion was you should not be updating your copyright date to the current year if the content you created was done in previous years because it’s not true and actually provides less protection.

But with that all said, I understand how other people can see an old date and think that the website is old, so put a current date on it.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.