The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
What do you think?

My opinion and bias is that it would “rob” the work of a lot of…something. My thinking can’t find the word.

To me a book is an author’s masterpiece and delicacy. Like a Monet or Picasso. An author should be something like an angel delivering a message of truth from the heavens. Metaphorically(actually literally) of course. I should be able to stare at the cover at a coffee shop and feel…something.

An artistic image of some sort that can capture the reader’s…emotions? Would be more powerful and effective.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
I was debating about redesigning the Unscripted cover as the book gets more popular. I was thinking about a big fat middle-finger since book titles with "f-this" and "f-that" seem acceptable nowadays. What do you think? This is not in response to any negative feedback on the cover, which in fact, no one has ever commented negatively on the cover. When TMF was first released, it was a daily event.

Not into it, if it's getting more popular and you've had no negative feedback a revamp doesn't need to be such a dramatic shift IMO.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Not into it, if it's getting more popular and you've had no negative feedback a revamp doesn't need to be such a dramatic shift IMO.

Ya'll are probably right. I think I was just trying to update the iconography of it, like a NECK TIE that has been crossed out, or something symbolic to "f-you" and the default system.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

I was debating about redesigning the Unscripted cover as the book gets more popular. I was thinking about a big fat middle-finger since book titles with "f-this" and "f-that" seem acceptable nowadays. What do you think? This is not in response to any negative feedback on the cover, which in fact, no one has ever commented negatively on the cover. When TMF was first released, it was a daily event.
Since we're going for provocative titles, and everyone has thrown all sense of manners out of the window these days, you should go with a title that says F*CK YOUR BOSS! or similar.

Skroob

Entrepreneur // Mobile Application Developer
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Feb 18, 2022
Jacksonville, FL
If you’re worried about the brand of clothes you wear, stop it.

Get fit. Go buy a 5-pack of Hanes t-shirts. You will look better than a fat guy in a fancy suit. And if you are wealthy, you don’t need to show it.
Literally just tonight asked my fiancee how old I have to be before I can pull off a 100% Tommy Bahama based wardrobe.

She said 50. I‘ve got 8 and a half years to work my way up to it.

I’m Florida Man and I’m damn proud of it! :playful:

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
like a NECK TIE that has been crossed out
Something along those lines could work and be cool, as @socaldude said you don't want to take away from the body or work, but having something symbolic on the cover could attract attention, the brashness of the middle finger and the f bomb doesn't really fit you IMO, I could be wrong though, unscripted is a F U message to the system.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Have an "unscripted " mascot kicking a chair with the status quo standing on it with a noose around its neck

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
An interesting part of the theory that Earth gets pelted with civilization-ending asteroids every 13,000 years, is that a lot of the ancient monuments that still exist are earlier humanities attempts to warn the next cycle of people, namely us. There message essentially being, "If you are smart enough to figure out this warning, then you know what you have to do." That task would be to prepare for the 800 years of asteroid impacts that occur every 13,000 years. If the last cycle was 11,600 years ago, we have 1,400 years to prepare, maybe less if there are "early arrivers" each time.

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
@MJ DeMarco or any of the admins: If we want to post an ad for hiring someone from the forum, what sort of post should we buy? In the past we had special "Hiring" or "For Hire" ads, but those seem to be gone. What are the options for doing that now? Cheers!
I thought scaling with employees is too hard to possibly consider. :rofl:

G

Guest-5ty5s4

An interesting part of the theory that Earth gets pelted with civilization-ending asteroids every 13,000 years, is that a lot of the ancient monuments that still exist are earlier humanities attempts to warn the next cycle of people, namely us. There message essentially being, "If you are smart enough to figure out this warning, then you know what you have to do." That task would be to prepare for the 800 years of asteroid impacts that occur every 13,000 years. If the last cycle was 11,600 years ago, we have 1,400 years to prepare, maybe less if there are "early arrivers" each time.
Sounds like a science fiction novel or goofy series on the History Channel. Make something entertaining based on this, I'll make the popcorn.

parabolic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Aug 7, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
Sounds like a science fiction novel or goofy series on the History Channel. Make something entertaining based on this, I'll make the popcorn.
Ancient Apocalypse on Netflix is what you're looking for

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
Your books are timeless and speak for themselves.

You don’t need to follow a trend that will be over soon. Especially a gimmicky one like that.

Tbh you’d already be a couple of years late on it anyway, you would just be another F*ck you book.

It would be like swapping TMFs current cover for the old one with the lambo because everyone else is using lambos to sell books.

There could be a new cover with a cool device or hook, but I think it needs to be a new unique one, not the same played out gimmick as every other book.

Glad to hear unscripted is only getting more popular over time

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Meh. Stay classy. Those “F*ck books” are annoying. I don’t bother reading them as I automatically assume there’s nothing of substance I’d get out of it.

As far as a marketing strategy is concerned, Subtle Art was probably the first to try it and it clearly worked out well for it, but now, the shock value is over.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
552%
Apr 17, 2022
My websites:

PHP:
&copy; Copyright XXX 2010-<?php echo date('Y'); ?>. All Rights Reserved.

:cool:
Does this function retrieve the system time of the server or the client in which the page is displayed?

I can imagine 1 in 100k users having their computer clock set to default and seeing © 1970 - all rights reserved :rofl:

c4n

Full throttle
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
May 30, 2017
Does this function retrieve the system time of the server or the client in which the page is displayed?

I can imagine 1 in 100k users having their computer clock set to default and seeing © 1970 - all rights reserved :rofl:

It uses the server-side time; that code snippet will always show 2010-2023, 2010-2024, 2010-2025...

Note: my footer includes the start date, so © 2010-2023 versus just © 2023, because:
1. it makes more sense copyright-wise (see @biophase comments above), and
2. it tells people it's an established website doing business for 10+ years, and
3. it doesn't scare people away thinking "this website hasn't been updated in 5 years".

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
552%
Apr 17, 2022
3. it doesn't scare people away thinking "this website hasn't been updated in 5 years".
This is a very solid point.

I know it's a very small detail, but whenever I visit a company's website in January and I see that fresh new year written in the copyright section it gives me a sense that the company really cares about what they're doing.

And speaking of that...

1674137109859.png

@MJ DeMarco It seems like your best friends over at XenForo have not included an automated script for this. :innocent: :halo:

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Your books are timeless and speak for themselves.

You don’t need to follow a trend that will be over soon. Especially a gimmicky one like that.

Tbh you’d already be a couple of years late on it anyway, you would just be another F*ck you book.

It would be like swapping TMFs current cover for the old one with the lambo because everyone else is using lambos to sell books.

There could be a new cover with a cool device or hook, but I think it needs to be a new unique one, not the same played out gimmick as every other book.

Glad to hear unscripted is only getting more popular over time
I agree completely. The gimmicky trends are silly and don't last - I think this is counter to a productocracy.

When I think of a brand or product that lasts, I think of a timeless classic song like "Don't Stop Believing" by Journey. It hits all the right spots for the consumer. It's not riding a trend. It's not a scene like emo, or goth, or disco, or hip hop, and it doesn't date itself (too much) to a specific era. You might laugh - but that is the perfect example.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
The gimmicky trends are silly and don't last

I'm looking at the Cover Mocks that were done in 2016 and it was an option, before this was any trend.

So my desire has nothing to do with a "trend" - only that it fit the theme.

For example, here are some of those 2016 cover mocks I dug up.

Again, all of these are from 2016 before Unscripted was released and was rough mocks.

covermockVary25.jpgcovermockNew1.jpgcovermockBird6.jpgcovermockArrow11.jpgcover-mockARROW2.fw.pngcover-mockARROW1.fw.pngcover-mock92.fw.pngcover-mock25.jpgcover-mock18.fw.pngrev5-wkst.fw.png

G

Guest-5ty5s4

I'm looking at the Cover Mocks that were done in 2016 and it was an option, before this was any trend.

Again, all of these are from 2016 before Unscripted was released and was rough mocks.

View attachment 46825View attachment 46827View attachment 46828View attachment 46829View attachment 46830View attachment 46831View attachment 46832View attachment 46833View attachment 46834View attachment 46835
Unscripted is my favorite book of yours. I don't have much to add except that I REALLY like the first cover, upper left, and the Matrix theme you've had going for awhile. I'm just one data point though.

Maybe run a Twitter poll?

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
The middle finger one has my vote haha!

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore

View attachment 46825View attachment 46827View attachment 46828View attachment 46829View attachment 46830View attachment 46831View attachment 46832View attachment 46833View attachment 46834View attachment 46835

The last one attracts the most eyeballs if it was on the bookshelf.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

The last one attracts the most eyeballs if it was on the bookshelf.
I'm not an expert on design or marketing, but I've just seen way too many books with all white backgrounds recently. They kind of all just blend in with each other and look boring, in my opinion.

Picture the "thinking, fast and slow" type of cover. Plain white background. Alpha transparency PNG image. Big title. Suuuuper cliche cover.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia

I was actually going to suggest a matrix theme until I realised you’d already done that, and then I was going to suggest how much further you could lean into it without being sued.

Love him or hate him, Andrew Tate is one of the most googled men, and he talks about escaping the matrix all the time. It’s gone mainstream as a phrase now.

Your book is literally a guide on escaping the matrix, not his rubbish $50 a month mlm course. People are looking for something like this right now.

I’m with @thechosen1, the top left is cool, but I still prefer the current cover with the employee freeing himself. You could just make the matrix bit stand out more on the current cover.

You were super early on the escape the matrix theme, I think you could lean into it more while it’s trending and do really well.

You have exactly what these people are looking for they just don’t know it.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Xavier X

Gold Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Jan 1, 2016
These United States
It uses the server-side time; that code snippet will always show 2010-2023, 2010-2024, 2010-2025...

Note: my footer includes the start date, so © 2010-2023 versus just © 2023, because:
1. it makes more sense copyright-wise (see @biophase comments above), and
2. it tells people it's an established website doing business for 10+ years, and

Yes, the range is the best option. Outside of that, if you were to choose between having only launch year versus the current year, I would go with the latter. Seriously, in this day and age, any website worth visiting should be dynamic enough to warrant the current year, except it's a static archive. Most modern businesses don't run such sites for their business.

So for the love of your visitors, do not scare them away with your © 2016 ACME LLC footer, in 2023. Most people simply interpret that as the website not being updated and moving with the times. For this reason alone, you will inevitably lose some business.

People typically do a pulse check on a business they're not familiar with, before engaging. If the site shows no signs of recent life, some of them might move on to the next option.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

I am a fan of the bird cage one and maybe the fish one.

I don’t think the plug, or the lock really embody the unscripted concept.

The lock reminds me of cybersecurity or something. The plug strikes me as an anti technology book.

monnffffiiiiiii

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Oct 16, 2022
If you are a non-native English speaker, you should not build a blog in English.

English-speaking internet is becoming saturated and lots of people are returning to content in their native language.

But...surprise! There's not much high-quality content in non-English languages (judging from the languages that I speak, at least).

26884.jpeg

Here you see that Spanish, French, Chinese, Arabic and Portuguese are GREAT opportunities.

EG: Find below the screenshot of the growth of a German finance blog. There are roughly 50 (serious) German finance blogs on the Internet.

That guy was one of the last ones to arrive (started in July 2018) and he is now one of the biggest in Germany.

He charges a whooping 600 euros per guest post and has courses and affiliate links.

1674165164591.png

Anyone telling you blogging is dead has definitely no clue what they're talking about.

Content is one of the primary reasons people come to the Internet.

"All" you need to succeed is:

- Better design.
- Faster website.
- Better content.

IMO it's one of the easiest and most passive businesses to start/manage.

You just need to be patient.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.