The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
567%
Apr 17, 2022

What is your thoughts about meritocracy? Is it effective to have a worldview that meritocracy should be the standard in work/sports/organizations?
I stopped reading this garbage after this sentence:

"Although widely held, the belief that merit rather than luck determines success or failure in the world is demonstrably false. This is not least because merit itself is, in large part, the result of luck. "

The best course of action is to be smart and work hard, and let nature take its course. Those that truly deserve to win, will win.

How the world is, and how it should be, is completely irrelevant for a determined entrepreneur that knows how to focus on his mission.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
466%
Mar 15, 2018

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
495%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
The (kind of sad) truth about life is that with enough money, you can pay anyone to fix, build, or create things for you. You don't have to know how to do those things.

HOWEVER, you do have to know how to manage, delegate, lead, sell, organize, finance, calculate, think creatively, diligently, cautiously, take appropriate risks, etc.
I fail to see the problem with this. This is exactly why I say that leadership is the most important skill in business.

You can build literally anything as long as you can lead enough people to agree with you that it is a good idea.

Every business, when it grows large enough, ends up driven by leadership and creative finance.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
567%
Apr 17, 2022
MJ is going to be eating a tomahawk ribeye on a motorcycle. He will also finally embrace the FIRE lifestyle and start clipping coupons. He will brag about having two computer screens and a bowflex. He’s also moving back to Chicago.
Will also close the forum and move the community to a subreddit.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
550%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Some places people wait for hours before their turn.

Talking about not valuing your time!

I have never once cared about the price of gas in my life for two simple reason:

1. The average price is entirely outside of my control.
2. The price fluctuations within the average doesn't amount to much.

It took YEARS of directly telling friends and family to stop telling me about gas prices for them to finally get the hint. It's like a cult. I would get calls, texts and in-person comments about how they saw gas 5-10 cents cheaper over at wherever or how I need to get gas before they raise it 5-10 cents for the long weekend.

What finally got them to stop was embarrassing them with math.

- My gas tank: 60L
- Cost savings/loss when the price goes up/down by $0.10: $6

And usually the notable price difference worth calling/texting everyone they knew was really more like 5 cents, not 10, so most of the time these comments were trying to convince me to stop what I was doing, get in my car, and fight every other idiotic driver on the road to save $3. Sorry, I may not be rich but I'm also not stupid.

And when I get the dumb "well $3 is still $3" I ask them if they'd run over to the closest gas station and fill my car up for me and I'll pay them $3 for the effort. Somehow $3 isn't "still $3" when it's their time and effort being exchanged for it.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
466%
Mar 15, 2018
This is a very nice surprise.

Unscripted has done very well for years, but the last time it hit #1 in any category was during release, or some kind of promotion.

Wish I had some secret sauce to share. My guess is an influencer recently recommended it.

View attachment 50338

It should be no surprise, years later I still haven't seen a better book on entrepreneurship.

Just the other day I was talking to my VP and he was quoting parts from it to help his son get into the game early. Yes, it may sound crazy that I'd share this book with my staff as you'd think it could cost me (people leaving) but I think it's helping people make better decisions for their lives. This isn't damn slavery. It's a choice, a decision to make. And top notch people, those who are Entrepreneurs at heart and producers - they will get ownership from me too.

Anyway, congrats @MJ DeMarco! Well deserved and should stay there for a long long time.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
If you get into a car accident and the other person's insurance contacts you for details, tell them to get them from your insurer. They're fishing for evidence to blame it on you. F*ck em.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I hear a lot of people recommend this book...

1692289523204.png

Not many people know WHO wrote this book ...

As well as why billionaires and certain figureheads love pushing it...

Connect the dots...

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
495%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
At @thechosen1 the next time you want assistance on your business, don’t go getting butthurt and delete the entire thread.

That really is spitting in the faces of everyone who spent time replying to you. Those responses are not just for you, but for everyone.

More than an hour of my time was now utterly wasted... The well thought through responses just evaporated.

Let me give you constructive criticism. You have a problem with constructive criticism. Might I suggest some Ray Dalio Principles.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
More than an hour of my time was now utterly wasted... The well thought through responses just evaporated.

Not anymore, I undeleted it. (But locked it per his request).

I also removed the ability for any user from deleting threads. This is no longer an option.

I'm frankly tired of threads getting deleted after countless people spend their precious time trying to help, even if that help isn't well received.

I understand if he didn't want to grab anything useful from that thread, that's his option and perogative, but as you said, the responses could have helped others.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Tbh, I am F*cking scared right now. I've been trying to figure out ideas for so long, had some that I think would do quite well and they did - I just wasn't the person to realise them [People had already been brilliant before me ): ] Wanted to start learning how to code an Chrome extension, but as soon as I saw the first frame of code and heard the dude describe it - everything just blanked and I thought "tf is the point?!! I saw a guy on the Fastlane Forum talkin about "LEARN COPY NOT CODING" this won't help me achieve anything"

Now I'm just lurking as @Andy Black puts it - paralyzing myself with more and more info on what to do whenever you have a business goin, when I haven't even really started.

I've been trying to follow the idea guide by @NeoDialectic, but still no results yet. I'm starting to feel like I'm slipping, getting scared out of financial freedom and I don't know what to do to keep myself motivated and keep fighting for what I could achieve...

*SOS flare shoots*

Take a breath. It is going to be ok. Tomorrow is a new day to give yourself to your pursuit.

You will figure it out. And it is going to take as long as it needs to take.

Don't fret that you aren't going faster.

Don't fret that you feel you haven't started.

Fretting is simply wasting time focused on things you don't need to be focused on.

Maybe you blew it today. Whoops. So what? Tomorrow is a new day to give yourself to your pursuit.

Just focus on getting better. Making better choices. And slowly but surely you will make progress on your mission to help improve people's lives in some shape or fashion.

And maybe this will help

Or maybe this

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Reminder, I think this was posted here somewhere...

The amount of time it takes a computer to crack a password...

1693240964966.png

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
466%
Mar 15, 2018
I remember when I was at university, I used to sit in the front row. I asked questions all the time and monopolized professors’ time.

My g-f used to say she was embarrassed to sit next to me. That I had no shame.

True, I still don’t have shame. But hear me out. Education gets a bad rep here. Mostly because I think kids who are “forced to do it” are also doing it wrong. And because the system itself is antiquated.

All schools induce passivity: teachers tell you what to learn, and then test it.

If you are still young, try thinking of your education as a project, and your teachers are working for you, rather than vice versa.

This has big implications that are underrated.
1. Teachers actually want you to move past them and use them as reference only
2. You get to discover yourself and become good at being you (only when older you’ll see how that helps unlock massive business opportunities)
3. You discover fields where you are freakishly talented and those are your CENTS businesses potential.

This way, you can be cautiously in a hurry.

• The advantages of youth are: energy, time, optimism and freedom.
  • The advantages of age are: knowledge, efficiency, money and power.

Jrjohnny

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
May 18, 2023
I just had this unique way of thinking about future you and present you and I wanted to share it:

Let’s say you have two really big jars, full of candies.

Each one has 10000.

The one on the left is present you, and the one on the right is future you..

Everytime you indulge into instant gratification, it takes from the future you jar.

But theres a twist.

You want to play video games?

It takes 2 out of the future you jar, but only 1 makes it into the present you jar.

Okay, whatever.

You finish playing games for an hour, now you feel empty, or sad.

Because your missing a candy.

you go back, this time, you take 3 out of the future you jar, but only 1 makes it into the present you jar.

Now you repeat this.

Now you have 9,000 in the future you jar, but only 10,100 in the present you jar.

All the other candies are outside of the jars, on the table just gone, but they can come back.

Now, you want to do drugs.

You take another 200 from the future you, and put 1 in the present you jar.

You have a one night stand without safety.

That’s another 150 gone, but only 1 back.

You decide you finally have enough,

Your down to 10,150 but 8,500 in the other jar.

You decide to go to the gym for the first time, it takes 1 out of present you, but makes 2 for future you.

You go 10 times, it takes out 5, but puts back 25.

It keeps compounding.

Now you keep feeling happier and more energetic.

You decide to read, that takes 0 out, but it puts back 2 into future you.

You decide to do entrepreneurship, you start a business and everything starts going better.

Soon, you wont have to sacrifice anything, it’ll just come to you.

You put in 100, but got back 1000.

Now the jars are at: 9,000 and 11,500.

It’s creating more candies.

Want to know something?

Each new candy is a new opportunity for you to chase.

Don’t sit around and settle for that, chase for more.

Thrive for better.

You’ve all got this.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I had a dream where I met @Kak.

I was walking in a forest at night and I saw Kak with his 9 huge, muscular pitbulls and I greeted him.
We were walking towards the grocery market and entered it.
Kak just let his dogs roam free or something I don't know but either way they weren't there anymore.

Kak then went into an escalator and a mom with her baby carriage and like 4 other people wanted to enter it too, but Kak said "Sorry, I'll be taking pictures here now" and entered it all alone and rode off wtf :rofl:

Posts like these make me thankful for the random chat thread. :rofl::rofl:

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
PayPal are scum.

We already knew that but I just want to rant about this feature they added a while ago because they tweaked it today, clearly split testing it and trying to get more people to use it.

When you transferred your money from PayPal to your bank account, which I do daily because I don’t trust them because they are scum, it was always instant and free.

Then they added this new feature, pay 1% for instant or wait 3-5 days.

Is the massive % they take from all my transactions not enough for them. They have to hold my money hostage and demand another 1% to not F*ck my cashflow up.

The good news is it seems to me like both of these options take exactly the same amount of time to process and it’s just a trick. I’ve never actually paid the 1% fee. But it still makes me sick and wish I could never use PayPal again every time I see it.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
May 1, 2011
The tiny island country of Anguilla is an unexpected beneficiary of the AI boom. The territory's top level domain (TLD) is .ai.

Every time a company wants to register a website that ends in .ai (here are 768 of them), they've got to pay a fee to Anguilla.

The 16,000 person island now makes $3 million per month on these registrations. That's 1/3 of the government's budget.

Another winner in this space? Tuvalu, which reports suggest earns $10 million per year for its .tv domain. "That revenue has allowed Tuvalu to pave its roads, expand electricity access for its residents, and even pay its first annual United Nations membership in 2000."

Micronesia (.fm), Montenegro (.me), Djibuti (.dj), and others have benefited as well.

from Alts.co newsletter

monnffffiiiiiii

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
251%
Oct 16, 2022
I finished TMF in Nov 2019 and joined the forum a few months later.

I have since tried to build around 20 businesses, from a meat delivery service to a beer company, to a social media app, to an Airbnb concierge, to a Tinder coaching service, to a transportation app, and a bunch of others I don't even remember.

I wrote books I never published and built websites I never launched.

I've made every mistake in the book, lost thousands of euros, fought with friends-turned-business-partners, and ofc, all of my ideas failed.

I also worked for a startup for a while, which also failed.

The only thing that earned me some money was writing online and selling digital products.

If I could go back in time and tell myself something, it'd be this:

1. You're not going to build a business fresh off the boat.

There is an "E" in CENTS for ENTRY, and ENTRY basically means SKILLS.

People are paying you when you can do something they cannot.

So LEARN SOME SKILLS. Anything.
  • Learn to cook and sell food.
  • Learn to clean and sell cleaning service.
  • Learn beekeeping and sell honey.
A classmate from university was selling cakes online.

Earlier I went to buy stuff from a shop called "Mega China" owned by a guy who don't even speak the local language - his skills is to import a million different items from China and stack them on shelves.

Business is simple. Make/buy something -> sell it.

But it demands skills. Which skills?

Let's ask Naval Ravikant: Learn to sell, learn to build, if you can do both, you will be unstoppable.

Learn to sell:
  • Sales: I found bowtiedsalesguy to be the best resource by far.
  • Marketing: I found Positioning by Ries and Trout and Different by Youngme Moon to be the best marketing books out of the +20 I've read.
Learn to build:
  • This means choose your market well. Some people decide to learn how to code, others learn how to grow fruits and vegetables. And others learn how to build cars and rockets. Choose something (1) you can be better than the competition at making, (2) that interests you, (3) that people want to buy.
From experience doing my stuff and hanging out with entrepreneurs, the smaller you start, the better. Chanel started with one hat, Facebook with one line of code, and AB-Inbev with one beer.

2. The second thing is mindset.

It took me three years to go from walking into a shop and see what I could buy to walking into a shop and see what I could sell.

I no longer go shopping. I go "research selling", which means I go to shops to see what people buy there.

While simple in appearance, this mindset shift took some time.

3. Don't forget to enjoy life.

I've spent most of the last three years working and doing nothing else because I was obsessed with making money.

It went fast - too fast - and I regret it today.

You earn money to do life, not the other way around. Getting rich isn't a race and retirement is a lie. Even after you "make it", you will never *not* be working.

Boredom is more painful than painful work. I know no rich people that do fvck all all day. They all work. But they do work they enjoy.

That's the ultimate flex: having no obligations whatsoever, and only do the work you enjoy.

Conclusion

I'm a workaholic so, in retrospect, these past few years (albeit painful sometimes) have been fun.

Maybe it was the ultimate purpose since the beginning. Unfortunately, I tend to forget it sometimes.

So my hopes for the next few years are not to forget to have fun and to nurture the relationships I have neglected.

And of course, to build a small profitable online business.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
495%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Sorry but that’ll be a NO.
Elon was trying to up his rep and got banned. That’s why he had to buy Twitter. He learned the commandment of control the hard way.
This is starting to feel like schizophrenia. I don't remember typing this on my Antifragile account.

Or this on one of my BD accounts:
I'm MJ will give me (us) a fair trial :clench:

But I gave myself gold on both of them.

Jrjohnny

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
May 18, 2023
Not too long ago, my cousins and I cleaned up their neighbours overgrown forest of a backyard.

There were trees, bushes standing 10 ft tall, and more.

Hasn’t been trimmed in over 20+ years.

We decided to do it for free; it took 6 people, electric tools, bloody hands, dirty gloves, blisters, sweat, ancient dirt flying at you, and 2 hours of gruesome work.

But finally, after pulling out everything, cutting out 11 ft high dead trees, and more.

We cleared out everything. We could finally see the sun.

The space was only 200 sq ft big, the garage on the other side was invisible.

We had fun, I counted it as one of my first “landscaping contracts”

Guess what? Today I got 20 bucks in my mailbox.

If I kept reading about how to landscape, I wouldn’t know what I know now, and I wouldn’t have made what I have made.

+$20, +500 points of experience, +1 more memory, but most importantly, +1 happier person.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hey @MJ DeMarco @Andy Black and fellow fastlaners, I have an issue I don't know how to network with well, as a young entrepreneurs I don't have much value to give, how can i ask for mentorship/advice from people, without making it seem a time waste for them? Any suggestion any thread would be of great help
Give, don't ask.

Don't even ask what you can give, or ask for permission to give. People are busy. Don't make them think. Make it easy for them to say yes.

What if you posted this:

Hi MJ.

I loved your LinkedIn post last week about <subject>.

I turned it into a carousel which is attached.

Here's the slides:
<show the slides so MJ doesn't have to open the doc to see them>.

I can make any changes you'd like, and if you want to upload it to LinkedIn then here's the instructions:
<give simple step-by-step instructions>

Hope that helps!

Shubham

<doc attached>

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!