The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

RANT Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

• Admin

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
Like to post something but it doesn't need its own thread?

This thread is for you!

Thought I'd create a random thoughts and chit-chat thread for anyone who'd like to post something, but it doesn't need it's own thread.

For example, I just learned today that an idea I had years ago for an airport valet service is now reality. Not only is it reality, but it is growing and grabbing funding.

The service is EXACTLY as I envisioned it would be.

OAK and LAX Long-Term Airport Parking : Never Park Again

Darn it!

The old, "Damn, I had that idea!!" strikes again!

That said, I might invest as they are taking accredited investor money.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Chris25

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Aug 29, 2018
Europe
For example, I just learned today that an idea I had years ago for an airport valet service is now reality. Not only is it reality, but it is growing and grabbing funding.

The service is EXACTLY as I envisioned it would be.
I was reading a book about this topic a while ago by Elizabeth Gilbert. She describes how ideas are an energetic life-form looking for a human partner. If it thinks that you can do the job, it will pay you a visit. But, if it notices that you won't collaborate to the execution, it will find someone else. It will not wait for you forever.

Now I know that this is magical realism, but it always stuck with me in a way to remind me that if I don't take action, someone else will.

OP
OP
M

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
Been thinking about hiring a house cleaner.

Recently received a direct mail advertisement from a cleaning company.

The ad was effective enough to get me interested to investigate the company, perhaps calling and hiring.

As I wrote in Unscripted, "advertising" more than likely indicates a productocracy doesn't exist and the company NEEDS advertising to survive.

I want to do business with productocracies, not marketers.

In my investigation at Yelp and other places, this company pretty much had the worst online reviews of all the cleaning companies.

As I wrote in Unscripted and explored via the productocracy concept, if your company can't survive without advertising, you're running a marketing company.

windchaser

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 24, 2017
Spain
Based on true events:

Meanwhile in social media:

“I quit my job to start a new business”
10 likes
3 comments: Good luck!

“I will be joining [huge corporation X] next week”
200 likes
100 comments: Congrats!!

“My company just raised a $1M round at a $20M valuation”
50 likes
5 comments: Congrats! Great job!
30 comments: With a rich daddy and connections anyone could do it

“I got admitted at Harvard”
300 likes
120 comments: Congrats!!/ You are a rockstar!/ Well done!

Meanwhile at the bank:

- I would like to borrow $20k to start my new business
- Ok, I will need a detailed business plan including sales forecasts for the next 3 years, then we will see what we can do depending on the guarantees you provide.

- I would like a student loan for $200k to attend Harvard
- Congratulations! I will need the admissions offer.

MTF

Never give up
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 1, 2011
Quality of life in the Bay Area is turning to sh*t. Literally.
  • If you walk around the financial district it is not uncommon to see someone shooting needles and pooping on the sidewalk. Every time I go for a walk it's pretty much guaranteed that I will see human poop on the ground. San Francisco's Sidewalk Poop Crisis, Explained - CityLab
  • Due to the lack of cleanliness, there is a growing epidemic of a flesh eating bacteria that acts like a staph infection on steroids
  • Tech money is pouring in and causing a price war for real estate, causing the cost of living to skyrocket. A middle class home 2 blocks away from me was bought for $2.8M cash and they completely gutted out the interior because it hasn't been updated since the 1970's.
  • An overwhelming majority of homes in SF are renting out their garage for multiple people to live in
  • Homeless people are on every intersection begging for handouts
  • traffic has gone nuts(bumper to bumper traffic from 7am-10am, to give you an idea)
If you live in the Bay Area then it's probably in your best interest to leave unless you work in tech or have your own business here.
I'm now traveling in the US and it's my first time here. I've been to Arizona, New Mexico, and Utah (just the Monument Valley and surroundings so just a tiny tiny portion of the state) and now Hawaii.

My observation - and I hope that nobody from the US will get mad at me lol - is that quality of life in the mainland US (I'm only talking about the places I visited, and I'm not sure about Hawaii yet as I just got here) seems to be lower than in Europe and many other countries I've visited. I thought that people saying that were exaggerating but now I tend to agree.

Obviously, this is just a very surface observation of a traveler, not a person living here. The US is huge and I'm sure there are many awesome places to live there. Based on where I've been, here are a few outsider observations about the local quality of life:
  • Homeless people (or people who appear to be homeless) and beggars are very visible. I don't think I've ever seen that many homeless people in other countries except for some poor countries like Morocco.
  • I find it much harder to be healthy here (again, I'm referring to the mainland US, as Hawaii seems to be much better in this aspect). Almost all of the restaurants serve fast food, there's a lot of unhealthy stuff added to even the most basic products (I don't think I've ever seen stuff as weird as blueberry-flavored almonds), and unless it's Whole Foods (which is super expensive), in a supermarket you have a much, much bigger selection of junk food than healthy stuff (I can't believe how many flavors of Oreos, M&Ms, etc. people actually need).
  • Never before I've seen so many morbidly obese or otherwise unhealthy-looking people. Then again, when you see people having breakfast at 8 am in McDonald's, it's pretty clear why that's the case.
  • Again, just my perception limited to just a few places I've been too: it seems to me that food here (and this ties directly to the quality of life) is not that much about quality - it's more about gorging on as much sugary/greasy/etc. stuff as possible than actually enjoying it. The Mediterranean countries (which I often visit) are the opposite. There's more emphasis on food quality, the cuisine is so much healthier, you're supposed to eat slowly and enjoy it.
  • The cities are not walkable (though still much better than in the Middle East). I find it super weird that there's not a single shop, restaurant, or anything like that for miles - just homes. I thought that it was an exaggeration that you absolutely need a car in the US but now I see why.
  • The infrastructure is very dated. Some gas stations look like they're abandoned or not renovated in decades (and man I hate the pre-paid system), my debit card is sometimes not working at all (this has never happened to me anywhere else in the world, including some very exotic places), I have very bad reception on my phone and mobile Internet is slow even in a big city. But maybe T-Mobile in the US is just shit.
  • The obsession with the military is disconcerting. But that's a sensitive topic so let's leave it at that.
  • Just a random observation: not sure if it's only Delta Airlines, but I was shocked that all the flight attendants were 50-60+, and some of them were obese. I've never seen anything like this on any other airline. Flight attendants are supposed to be fit and healthy to be able to help passengers.
On the plus side, the people are very nice, laid-back, and friendly (except for the Border Patrol), it's very easy to drive (love the wide streets and roads), the wide open spaces are incredible (it's crazy that there are so many national parks and monuments here), and the diversity is very cool. I still enjoyed my stay in the US and felt comfortable in most places, but I don't think I'd like to live there (or to be more specific - live in the places that I visited).

And again - I might have had bad luck or maybe I went to the wrong places. Anyway, it's my impression after my first visit, so it might still change if I go back or see other places.

I guess that it could be a good idea for a thread: which places in the world offer the best quality of life and why, so if anyone's interested, I can start it as I really like talking about this topic.

OP
OP
M

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
More like a crossroads.
I shall re-iterate... there are (3) groups here.

This forum has three distinct groups.
  1. I have no money and don't know where to start <-- freelancing, hustles, "thousandaire fastlane" might appeal to them.
  2. I have a small business that I'd like to make Fastlane, but aren't interested in employing 50 people and being the next Jeff Bezos. I just want to be FREE. I don't need no Lambo!
  3. I have a business and would like to blow it up huge. Perhaps, become the next 9 figure millionaire, or better, billionaire. I'm starting a global enterprise.
Groups 1 and 2 are probably the dominant group, namely because, my message is for new entrepreneurs. Asking someone with ZERO money and ZERO business experience (or even corporate management experience) to start a $25M business with no experience is a bit of a reach.

These people need to be guided in, kinda like you needed guiding 8 years ago when your first jump at business was designing websites. Perhaps the forum can be re-categorized for each group -- hence, segregating the topics based on everyone's personal vision of "Fastlane". I for one, have no interest in freelancing or side hustles, but I think that content is awesome here because it gets people into their first baby steps.

Fastlane, as well as CENTS, is always up to interpretation for each reader and what they want for the life. I try to respect that ... not everyone wants the Lambos -- and I imagine right now in the world, a lot of people would just take financial freedom in a shed, far away from the current insanity.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Random thoughts and rant on how the script has a massive hold on society.

Was at a party last week for grand final day, if your not from Australia you won't get it.

Was speaking to one of my lady friends about investing business etc, we got talking she asked if I read the barefoot investor.

I said is it another ETF circle jerk?

She said no its about a guy who was broke in his 30s and turned it around. I said did he turn it around from writing the book?

She said oh I think he made a bit from the book but Yada Yada.

I started to speak about fastlane ideas indirectly, about having a product or service people want and need making it run separate of my time eventually so I am no longer a slave like everyone else

She says well you'll need to go get a business degree for that and basically told me it wasn't possible....

I left it there and just said yeh I could tell she was just so defeated alive but not living.

The script has a great hold so glad I've taken the red pill.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
ow being a web designer, copywriter, and other freelancing activities is actively promoted here. A lot of the forum content changed from building a millionaire business fastlane to a thousandaire freelancing fastlane. I remember years ago this "thousandaire fastlane" stuff was kind of a running gag around here.
Sounds like you are reading your own press clippings, worshiping your reflection in the mirror.

This forum has three distinct groups.
  1. I have no money and don't know where to start <-- freelancing, hustles, "thousandaire fastlane" might appeal to them.
  2. I have a small business that I'd like to make Fastlane, but aren't interested in employing 50 people and being the next Jeff Bezos. I just want to be FREE. I don't need no Lambo!
  3. I have a business and would like to blow it up huge. Perhaps, become the next 9 figure millionaire, or better, billionaire. I'm starting a global enterprise.
You have an issue with 1 and 2 when the fact is, most people arrive here at #1, and most people want #2. Hell, I fall into #2.

But you're sad that you're commingling with the lowly 1s and 2s.

Many of the coaching gigs are for these two subgroups, #1 and #2 ... I'd say Kak's thing is for 2, mostly 3.

I got my start as a web designer, a program that Fox is offering -- so it fits as a start for someone with no experience. I also know, having been here for over a decade, that getting started is the hardest.

Your concerns are noted, in summary: All of us should work for free and the expectation of any kind of return, even after making 10,000 posts, is bad for the forum. That's why I spent $5K on another forum. And if you're not working to build the next billion dollar unicorn and a front page spread on TechCrunch, then everything else is noise, damn those plebs struggling to make their first buck.

OP
OP
M

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
Spent Friday afternoon with @AllenCrawley trolling the desert.

Afterward, Allen echoed how cool it was to spend the day in the desert (to him "business was closed") but his business still made money, because it's truly open 24/7/365.

Fastlane baby!

IMG_0510.JPG IMG_0511.JPG IMG_0498.JPG IMG_0497.JPG IMG_0494.JPG IMG_0492.JPG IMG_0491.JPG

OP
OP
M

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
I get a daily list of multi-million dollar homes/estates in the valley (5M+) for inspiration and design ideas. Every so often I'll look to see who owns the house and see what they do for a living. It's my little form of confirmation bias that never fails me.

Every time, the owner of one these palatial estates is a Fastlaner, or a Slowlaner with massive intrinsic value (doctor, athlete, etc.)

I like making a game of it and guessing what the owner does. Entrepreneur is always the safest, winning bet.

For instance a $9M house just came up for sale in my town.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/13950-E-Bighorn-Pkwy-Fountain-Hills-AZ-85268/95103403_zpid/

I guessed entrepreneur.

I looked up the owner and sure enough, inventor/entrepreneur.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2016/10/07/medical-technology-inventor-puts-9m-ultra-modern.html
(Looks like the house was for sale prior as well.)

Point is, you can always trust Fastlane mathematics to be behind big wealth. I wrote about it ten years ago and it still holds true today.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
As you know, I've not sold and am not interested in selling anyone anything. But I can tell you, you see an absence of the "old school" here and that could include you, AG, and a host of old school contributors that tend to ebb and flow, but eventually drift off.

I’m sorry I asked you all to listen to my new radio venture that some of you asked me to resurrect. I can see now how inappropriate that was to tell you about what I was working on.

The commonality there is the ROI of time ends up not being worth it. Not talking at all from a monetary aspect, but from a return on investment of time aspect.

Andy feeds off of helping people. When people use that to SHIT on him, you saw him drift away and we pulled him back.

Kyle? Makes almost zero coaching people. The only reason to charge ANYTHING is because they have skin in the game. If anyone out there in cyber space thinks ANY of Kyle's interactions with the forum have a profit motive, you would have no idea what you are talking about (unless your business is in selling rare liquid manufacturing chemicals, in which case he's be interested)

MJ? The amount of cash MJ makes selling ads here probably pays enough to pay his hosting fees. I am sure he makes some money on the insider memberships, but that's because we ALL ASKED HIM TO DO IT and the cost of that is probably 5% of what an EO membership costs (and heck, maybe because it's worth less than an EO membership) but that's beside the point.

People begrudge Lex for sponsoring the site and paying for an ad? Lets kick Lex off. Then nobody pays for an ad. Is it OK if Kenric has a class, but not Mike Partee? We want to now pick who advertises? Lex, a guy that was HOMELESS? Kung Fu Steve, a guy that was HOMELESS and now is a nationally sponsored motivational speaker? Let's make an approved list, and give it to MJ.

There's a new generation here that has their hand out, not looking for a hand up. And I can say that, because I have never asked nor taken a single dollar from the forum. If people don't want people like Kyle to share the details of his excitement and learning while he transparently builds a podcast, for free, from scratch... I guess there's a whole generation of people that will drift away or get pushed away because their sharing has to fit a "mold."

The Karens here got their panties all in a wad at me on ideological lines, for which I personally care zero. I am actually amused by it, but it has served MJ a disservice by feeding an undercurrent. I've never been interested in a popularity contest, but you can say all kinds of negative shit about me and I am supposed to just take it or else I am an elitist. This place was always an OASIS from the rest of the F*cking crazy on the internet, and in 2020 it has BECOME the rest of the internet.

Let's set the new rules, so people understand them :
1. no progress threads that highlight for-profit businesses. 501(c)(3) discussions are OK.
2. no advertisements. This is a community, not a business. If we wanted to financially support something, there's PLENTY of other places to do that. This place was intended to run at a loss.
3. no offering to monetize your experience even if people want to buy it. Unless, you're on the list of people that can.
4. no self promotion, which includes no talking about any outside ventures, even in an illustrative way
5. no self aggrandizement, but self depreciation is appreciated. No talking about past successes because that is kind of braggy and those without success might not feel welcome.
6. mods can't sell anything (LOL)

Add to the list anything that I have missed.

I have some commitments to MJ that I intend to keep (and they're not monetary, Karens). But when I wrap those up, hopefully the 10,000 posts that I have written will become part of the searchable history of this great institution, and hopefully MJ gives enough of a shit to pay the bills and play to the crowd long enough for the next wave of hopefuls to arrive.

Some of the posters that have taken up swords in the name of PC have traditionally been the people that I most looked forward to reading, and as such there's not much of a reason to continue to invest here. The inmates can run the asylum until MJ decides he's had enough. For me, it's not worth opening the forum on an almost daily basis now to see someone taking shots at me and people I care about simply because they want to get off on it. I don't need it. Most of us don't. Somehow it morphed from a place to exchange ideas into a place to trade barbs and try and tear things down. People empowered by a statue being torn down in a park want to extend that crowd hysteria towards cyber bullyism and keyboard jockeys now get their covid-inspired claustrophibia out by tearing other people down. I'm not interested.

I offer no defense for what I have contributed here. This thread will die a slow painful death, but many of the things we have all added here over the years will be discoverable to those who come behind us as long as someone keeps the lights on. That was all it was ever about.

Last edited:

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
OP
OP
M

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
Very exciting for me to see TMF #1 on the list.

Essence is a huge magazine, the type of thing that could land on Oprah's desk.

Nice holiday gift!

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
I'm wondering why the F*ck we shut down the entire country for months, just to now allow mass gatherings of people while coronavirus numbers are accelerating.

Chicago and other major cities have been packed the past few days with massive protests leading to riots later in the night.

If you look up articles on coronavirus and protests, the overwhelming bullshit bullshit is that "we need to risk the virus in order to curb police brutality."

Ok... but these issues of social justice (which I would argue don't exist in significant numbers, but that's a different topic), these issues are more important than the economy and people's livelihoods?

There's only two conclusions:

1. Coronavirus is all bullshit - and I'm pissed that we wasted the last 3.5 months shutting down the economy and putting a lot of my friends on the brink of collapse. Or...
2. Coronavirus is a real threat - in which case why the F*ck are we wasting 3.5 months invested into these idiotic gatherings that will spread the virus at rapid rates throughout the U.S.?

I think what I'm most pissed about is the mental fatigue from all this.

Sitting in Chicago for months at end when I want to be abroad, now having a 9pm curfew like I'm 12 years old... and for what?

Not gonna get into politics on the protests, but also pissed at the way these rioters are acting.

I was talking to a successful business owner that has 30ish retail locations in Chicago. Half of them are in malls and have been closed. The other half, he hasn't been able to make rent on consistently waiting for everything to reopen... and now before it's going to reopen, over ten of his stores have been hit and looted. Not only did he lose 4 months of operations, but on top of that he's had his entire inventory wiped out. For a product business owner myself, I understand how drastic that can be. Six figures per store gone + all the time it's going to take to restock and reshelve... but how the F*ck are you going to restock if there's not enough cash? Another loan? How many F*cking loans are you going to have to take to account for other people's bullshit?

I'll end my rant there. Getting tired with all this. Need a vacation.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
I kinda miss the old internet around 2005.

it was like the Wild West, nothing had as much of a grand meaning. People just put stuff online because they thought it was cool. Was less serious. You could only access it through PC, and the internet was like this mysterious and esoteric no-man's land that few people understood.

Now it's just like Disneyland. Safer than ever, but the fun is taken out of it. Every place you visit someone is trying to get you to subscribe to an email list. Everything has some political agenda, there's a premium version for more content...

yeah the old internet was fun, but YouTube and Wikipedia is pretty cool, not to mention this forum.

OP
OP
M

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
If you live in the Bay Area then it's probably in your best interest to leave
[RANT]
No!!!!!

Please for the love of God, if one is considering leaving, please don't. Stay!

Stay and work out the solution to your problems with the leaders you continue to elect.

Californification is ruining Arizona and Texas. Not that those states don't have their share of problems, but rampant shit and homeless tents on Broadway is not one of them. Please, don't move and take your *shit* to Arizona, no pun intended. :playful:

We don't want it.
[/RANT]

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
May 27, 2013
United States
Got a premium account with MyHeritage. Traced my ancestors back till the 1400's and still +400 matches to check. Very interesting yet time consuming.
Due to my dad's hobby in ancestry... we were able to meet distant cousins of mine in Sweden last summer, and they showed us my great great grandfather's grave in a small farm village. I saw the plot of land he farmed, and I saw the church he went to. I had lunch in the restaurant that now occupies his elementary school.

The impact of coming into contact with your roots gives me chills. It gave me a sense of belonging or significance. Or maybe it's insignificance. Trying to grasp the infinite string of unlikely coincidences that resulted in my existence.

Has anyone else been able to visit the "motherland"... wherever that is for you?

million$$$smile

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Dec 25, 2012
Midwest
Oh the dichotomy of it all.

We live in a world where smoking a joint is still illegal in many states along with the Food and Drug Administration deeming cannabis unsafe or effective for medical treatment, and yet the FDA and the Dept. of Health & Human Services allows full body scanning in airports that are potentially life-threatening to the general public.

Read up on the inordinate amount of TSA agents that have come down with cancer, strokes and heart disease.
Media Ignores Growing Number of Cases of Cancer Among TSA Body Scanner Operators
These body scanners really haven't been independently tested to the nth degree...

And now we will soon be inundated with high frequency 5G radiation. Talk about a possible way of eliminating overpopulation. Someone ought to write a fictionalized story on that subject.

I just don't trust it nor the guberment behind it.

From now on, I'll take the pat down folks, you can keep your full body scanners for your other victims...

Off the rant.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
May 27, 2013
United States
For me, one of the hardest parts of this journey is not having someone to talk about this with.
I just went through my "2nd desert".

You know what really helped?

I reached out to a competitor after hearing him do a podcast interview. (Same niche, but different market segment). We hit it off, and now he is the one person in the world that understands EVERYTHING that I have dealt with in the last 3 years. Because his last 3 years has been virtually identical.

Maybe you could do something similar. Find someone's who's been in your shoes. Or IS in your shoes. They're out there.

MTF

Never give up
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 1, 2011
Conference/networking rant...

I'm at my first conference ever. Thought it would be a casual event with cool business people interested in hanging out, but so far I've mostly met "transformational" coaches, people into spirituality, and other weird stuff (one guy was telling me about his dog reincarnating after 6 months - I thought he was joking, but he was dead serious) as well as people giving talks just to pitch something (with a website straight out of the 90s).

Then there's all the noise and far too many people around, making it extremely hard to connect with anyone except for those I got to know online prior to the event. Also, I can't stand all the "where are you from" questions and vapid small talk.

Glad I didn't have any huge expectations. I suspected this would happen, so I'm not really that disappointed, but it's still a good lesson. I went to this conference primarily to meet people I already knew and as a sort of a "test drive" to be better prepared for the Fastlane summit. If it happens, I'm pretty sure it will be 10000x better than this.

Right now, I can say, based on my personal experience, that big conferences (with more than perhaps 100-150 people) are largely a waste of time for me. Better to connect with select people online and just meet one-on-one or in a small group.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
After Columbus discovered America and headed back to Europe, he didn't stop in Spain first. He first went to Portugal who had earlier turned him down. He met with the King and rubbed it in his face. Only after that did he go to Spain.

Just wanted to share that since I thought it's fascinating and hilarious. We need to be more like Columbus.

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
Jun 8, 2010
California
Quality of life in the Bay Area is turning to shit. Literally.
  • If you walk around the financial district it is not uncommon to see someone shooting needles and pooping on the sidewalk. Every time I go for a walk it's pretty much guaranteed that I will see human poop on the ground. San Francisco's Sidewalk Poop Crisis, Explained - CityLab
  • Due to the lack of cleanliness, there is a growing epidemic of a flesh eating bacteria that acts like a staph infection on steroids
  • Tech money is pouring in and causing a price war for real estate, causing the cost of living to skyrocket. A middle class home 2 blocks away from me was bought for $2.8M cash and they completely gutted out the interior because it hasn't been updated since the 1970's.
  • An overwhelming majority of homes in SF are renting out their garage for multiple people to live in
  • Homeless people are on every intersection begging for handouts
  • traffic has gone nuts(bumper to bumper traffic from 7am-10am, to give you an idea)
If you live in the Bay Area then it's probably in your best interest to leave unless you work in tech or have your own business here.

Limitless4Life

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Dec 20, 2016
I always wondered why there are no gyms in airports. Or ‘nap rooms’. I’d pay $10/hr for a bed in the airport instead of laying on the ground using my backpack as a pillow.

Imagine hitting heavy weights/cardio then sauna before your flight? Grab a juice/protein shake on the way out... That would be sick. Something rich people would pay a premium for because it’s a better use of time than sitting around.

Bhanu

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Oct 23, 2017
Random Thoughts : Last Thursday one of my close relative passed away . He was an inspiration to me . He started from zero and built a very successful business . He lost one hand due to an accident at a young age . He could have sit at home and cursed his fate but he was a fighter . He started a small Tuition class at home . He taught basic Mathematics to kids for living . Slowly he opened a school and then few more schools . His schools now have over 1000 kids . He was always smiling ,always very respectful and very passionate. His story is one of Hard work, being humble and not complain ever. I am sad that god took him away so early (he was mid 40s only) . God took away his hand at young age, made him work so hard and when all was falling in place took him away :( .
Few things I learnt from him :
- Never Complain however bad your situation is.
- Always be humble , treat other with respect.
- You can die anytime so always try to live your fullest . There should be no place of sadness , suffering . Just fill your life with work and march towards your aim . If you succeed your life will be worth living ,if you fail you will die satisfied that you never gave up on your dreams .
May his soul rest in peace.

OP
OP
M

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
Never underestimate the ubiquity of human stupidity, even with people with money. OMG I gotta invest in that new hot IPO ... then you buy the wrong shares.

Screen Shot 2019-04-18 at 5.52.43 PM.png

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
CHALLENGE to everyone that says the place is becoming spammy ......

Post valuable content at the level @Vigilante and @Andy Black do.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm on both sides of the curtain at the moment..... trying to post valuable content to the community I love and jumping in to help however I can busting spam and cleaning up the 100's of bots.

I see how hard these two work as mods behind the scenes. I also see the place starting to look spammy like @amp0193 said with the recent 'everyone is a coach'.....

With every perspective, there is another. So think about this ..... @MJ DeMarco started a community for us to all flourish. Maintaining that garden is work. He has had some awesome people help and they post a hell of a lot of content without asking for much in return. Maybe we should support them and thank them by seeking them out and supporting THEIR businesses whether they ask for it or not. Give them a shout out on their radio show. Help them review their products like back in the day. How many solid contributors on this forum have you seeked out to support their business? Make that answer be more than zero! Let's all grow together!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Back to the issue at hand: see more ads than content?
Want it to change ..... how about less dialog and more content? Be the solution!

Get off your asses and get in here and post and help make this forum what you see it should be.

YoungPadawan

Miles to go before I sleep
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Nov 7, 2015
Does Lightning McQueen buy car insurance, or life insurance?

If oil is made from dinosaurs, and plastic is made from oil, plastic dinosaurs are made from real dinosaurs.

2006 is as far away as 2030.

OP
OP
M

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
Imagine your life is so empty, so meaningless, that you think about threatening officials for a stupid football game that has zero impact on your life in the grand scheme of things.

For the life of me, I can't figure out sports team zealotry and human beings.

Your team wins you get nothing but some pseudo fake bragging rights over other zealots who value the pseudo fake bragging rights. We won! You won? No, you didn't win. You sat on the couch, stuffed your face with chips, and watched for 3 hours. You win NOTHING. You don't get money, rings, respect, vacations, consumer goods, you get NOTHING but the entertaining 3 hours you enjoyed watching the game.

The business of dead dreams is a trillion dollar business.

Report: Concern around NFL over officials that 'f - - - ed up' NFC championship living in Southern California

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
Ah, I should've checked here to find out that it was free! Although, Amazon only charged $2 for...
MARKETPLACE Fox's Web Design Guide: Earn $100K this year (Yes, 2020!) and Go Fastlane
Is it still available to send the application, your story is impressive, time to act. Ya this...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Pick the one you need most. Some just buy them all. :D Loving your email sequence.
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Dropping a quick note in here to say... if you are on TFL, you are part of an elite group of...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
I joined @Kak's business incubator in the first week of May. During our daily chats we uncovered...

Visit A Forum Sponsor
sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected - Please Disable

Yes, ads can be annoying. But please...

...to support the Unscripted/Fastlane mission (and to respect the immense amount of time needed to manage this forum) please DISABLE your ad-block. Thank you.

I've Disabled AdBlock