The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Problems You Will Face With Slowlane Parents

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

AshrafI

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Nov 6, 2018
Birmingham, Not Alabama
Last week I was cold calling businesses who had no website and unfortunately; my mom had heard me from downstairs.

She asked what I was doing and I hesitantly replied by saying I was playing a game with my friends, which was unusual to her as I normally don't play gsmes. She knew I was doing something business related because I used to always say I wanted to be an entrepreneur and she heard words like: sales and profit. My mom was outroutraged and she started explaining to me why starting a business was pointless at this age.

1) You need a degree. No one has succeeded in business without a degree. She then started to compare me to her older sister's son, my cousin brother, who started a business before he got a degree and started telling me how he always took loans from his parents because of little capital; ultimately, never succeeding. Even though it has only been two years since he started his own company, a design agency.
2) Afterwards, she started telling me how people are respected for their careers and it doesn't matter how much money they make. Her idea of success is a person who is a doctor, engineer or a lawyer. But here's the annoying part, she likes the idea of a professional high-paying job because one of her older brothers is a doctor, who has a high income and drives a car my parents have never considered; financed by the way.

The way entrepreneurs and CEOs are portrayed in movies (people who stepped on other people to get to where they are today) has made her think that entrepreneurs are generally bad people. My dad even said at one point

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Last week I was cold calling businesses who had no website and unfortunately; my mom had heard me from downstairs.

She asked what I was doing and I hesitantly replied by saying I was playing a game with my friends, which was unusual to her as I normally don't play gsmes. She knew I was doing something business related because I used to always say I wanted to be an entrepreneur and she heard words like: sales and profit. My mom was outroutraged and she started explaining to me why starting a business was pointless at this age.

1) You need a degree. No one has succeeded in business without a degree. She then started to compare me to her older sister's son, my cousin brother, who started a business before he got a degree and started telling me how he always took loans from his parents because of little capital; ultimately, never succeeding. Even though it has only been two years since he started his own company, a design agency.
2) Afterwards, she started telling me how people are respected for their careers and it doesn't matter how much money they make. Her idea of success is a person who is a doctor, engineer or a lawyer. But here's the annoying part, she likes the idea of a professional high-paying job because one of her older brothers is a doctor, who has a high income and drives a car my parents have never considered; financed by the way.

The way entrepreneurs and CEOs are portrayed in movies (people who stepped on other people to get to where they are today) has made her think that entrepreneurs are generally bad people. My dad even said at one point

Sorry to hear of this toxic crap being spewed about business and entrepreneurship. Don't give up.

You are on the right track and understand the real way this works.

Ironically, your parents are probably employed in the private sector, in which case someone started that company.

AshrafI

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Nov 6, 2018
Birmingham, Not Alabama
Sorry to hear of this toxic crap being spewed about business and entrepreneurship. Don't give up.

You are on the right track and understand the real way this works.

Ironically, your parents are probably employed in the private sector, in which case someone started that company.

Spot on. I've told them how the company my Dad works for were made by an entrepreneur who spent countless hours of his free time setting it up. Furthermore, I often tell my mom how most of the appliances she uses at home was made by an entrepreneur who had a problem and decided to fix it, thus making his life and the life others much easier.

Last edited:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Spot on. I've told them how the company my Dad works for was made by an entrepreneur who spent countless hours of his free time setting it up. Furthermore, I often tell my mom how most of the appliances she uses at home was made by an entrepreneur who had a problem and decided to fix it, thus making his life and the life others much easier.

If it wasn't for entrepreneurship, we would still be lighting our homes with candles and churning our own butter to trade for chickens and firewood.

AshrafI

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Nov 6, 2018
Birmingham, Not Alabama
From what I recall, both Bill Gates and Elon Musk dropped out of uni.

Exactly; these are the words of my mother. In her eyes, a degree is like a safety net, a plan B just in case the business you're trying to create doesn't go as you expected. However, this is far from the truth and reminds me of this image MJ DeMarco posted recently on his Instagram

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Exactly; these are the words of my mother. In her eyes, a degree is like a safety net, a plan B just in case the business you're trying to create doesn't go as you expected. However, this is far from the truth and reminds me of this image MJ DeMarco posted recently on his Instagram

Necessary? No, but it doesn't hurt... Unless you take a ton of debt to do it. Don't totally rule business school out.

Brian Suh

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
May 19, 2018

Don’t let their fear of a better life stop you from pursuing yours. Go get it boy

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

So I have to ask, are you Asian? This sounds alot like Asian parents!

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Necessary? No, but it doesn't hurt... Unless you take a ton of debt to do it. Don't totally rule business school out.
In my current experience...

Business school majors for areas like accounting, econometrics, finance...would be worth it.
You can get into a muddle learning them on your own without at least a professional guiding you.

For management and marketing...hahaha

AshrafI

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Nov 6, 2018
Birmingham, Not Alabama
In my current experience...

Business school majors for areas like accounting, econometrics, finance...would be worth it.
You can get into a muddle learning them on your own without at least a professional guiding you.

For management and marketing...hahaha
I prefer the idea of learning by doing and getting experience as well because it sets the foundation. But the best thing for me to do is to learn as much as I can right now from reading books and to actively practise the ideas stated in the book in an entrepreneurial setting. As I am quite young I can't currently do business studies via school unless I educate myself with private tuitioning outside of school.

Atu

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Mar 23, 2019

Please, please, please be super, uber friendly to your mom. Never fight or even argue back, this is your mom, you need her as a friend. Always smile at her. Always say "Yes mom, I love you, and I want to take the trash out". No matter how you feel inside. You best idea is to make her think that you are her protector (a son can be). Why you need it:
  1. Your mom has, as everyone else, including me, a limited view on life. And all she wants, especially as a woman, is good emotions about her and her son. All every woman want is nice to feel emotions.
  2. What she says about business is coming out of fear. Everyone has some, and it is absolutely OK, as long as you can manage it without destroying people around you.
  3. You will need good diplomacy skills when you grow as a businessman. From time to time you will be faced with news absolutely crushing to your business, and yet you will have to keep your smile on and continue negotiations.
  4. I am an engineer myself. Have I ever felt over-respected? Not especially, rather the opposite coming from jelous people. Have I had instances of using it as my safety-net? Absolutely YES. And I got my degree debt-free. Over-debted degree can be a killer.
Best wishes - and keep your smile for the next adventure :)

AshrafI

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Nov 6, 2018
Birmingham, Not Alabama
Please, please, please be super, uber friendly to your mom. Never fight or even argue back, this is your mom, you need her as a friend. Always smile at her. Always say "Yes mom, I love you, and I want to take the trash out". No matter how you feel inside. You best idea is to make her think that you are her protector (a son can be). Why you need it:
  1. Your mom has, as everyone else, including me, a limited view on life. And all she wants, especially as a woman, is good emotions about her and her son. All every woman want is nice to feel emotions.
  2. What she says about business is coming out of fear. Everyone has some, and it is absolutely OK, as long as you can manage it without destroying people around you.
  3. You will need good diplomacy skills when you grow as a businessman. From time to time you will be faced with news absolutely crushing to your business, and yet you will have to keep your smile on and continue negotiations.
  4. I am an engineer myself. Have I ever felt over-respected? Not especially, rather the opposite coming from jelous people. Have I had instances of using it as my safety-net? Absolutely YES. And I got my degree debt-free. Over-debted degree can be a killer.
Best wishes - and keep your smile for the next adventure :)
I never spoke back, stayed calm and didn't raise my voice. I understand that she won't be there one day and I'll regret not doing any favours for her. The sole reason our parents cherish us so dearly is because they want the best for us. So the best thing I can do to return them the generosity they gave me is to make them proud.

deepestblue

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Jun 11, 2011
Arizona
Once your first few paying clients start coming in, the parents may not change their tune, but at least you're setting yourself up for a lifetime of freedom.

Keep at it with the cold calling and whatever you're doing to take action toward your goals.

Many friends and relatives possess the same attitude toward business ownership that a random person from Anytown does - and when you think about it, how could it be any other way. You just have to rise above it.

And you always have all the awesome folks here at this fabulous forum who share your mindset.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.